AVS Forum banner

Best LCD response time (in ms) for gaming?

15K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  hingber 
#1 ·
I have a Samsung 32 inch LCD (ln32c450) and it's good for me, But it has game mode, and with game mode off, I suck really bad at games like Call of Duty (I sorta overaim, underaim, and I die rather quick as a result) But with it on, I kick butt. So in the event I need a new TV, What's a good general response time for video games? Not sure what my MS is, But it's kinda good with game mode on (too bad for that stupid forced virtual surround sound with game mode, or it would be a perfect tv)

#2 ·
if you dont lag with game mode on why do you need another one? because there really isnt much out there.

#4 ·
the LG 450, most of Sharp's TVs, and last year's Panasonic S1 and X1.

#6 ·
#7 ·
under 30ms I would say man, above that and you notice a delay.

But the thing is, these lag times are not advertised or mentioned in the specs for the television.. each year people/members of the forums have to test this out themselves the hard way (buy the tv, set up the proper software to test it etc) and then they report back to everyone on here.

Like others said, LG's IPS panels, Sharp and panasonics are the best bet for lower input lag but they may not be the greatest for home theater/movies/bluray etc. Here's to hoping LG puts out an awesome all in one LED lcd for 2011.

#8 ·
your TV has at least 30ms input lag, probably closer to 45ms in game mode.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneyman /forum/post/19517758

hey frito, I'm getting a nice warm fuzzy feeling that 2011 sets will deliver

can't wait til CES

I wouldn't hold my breath, the majority have TV makers have made it pretty clear that they care very little about serious gamers and put more effort in to make their TV's do more pre-processing that causes these problems in the first place.

I think when we start seeing LCD's replaced by something better and faster Natively (like plasma and AMOLED) is when we will hopefully see input lag drop to a minimum. you have to remember that most of the input lag we see on LCD's in game mode is created by RTC. RTC has to be used on both VA and IPS LCD's to get their pixel response time under 8ms. VA need it much more than IPS but with the 120hz and other garbage out there today most IPS LCD's are now using it as well drive pixel response down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.