Unplugging LCD damage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-24-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My primary question is will unpugging my Sony HDTV LCD a few times a day rather than just turning it off cause any damage to the TV or it's life

By way of background, I just moved into an apartment and although in my prior home I had all TV & electronics and a computer plugged into quality surge suppressors. This new apartment only has 2 prong outlets no ground. as I assume the surge suppressors not work effectively using a standard 3 to 2 prong adapter am just unplugging items when not in use to avoid the increased potential of a surge occurring when I am not even using the equip, but I am also concerned that unplugging a unit like my LCD TV a few times a day can in and of itself be harmful to the TV is?

In addition, I was wondering as my 46" Sony HD LCD, purchased a year ago only has a 2 prong plug, can I assume that the TV has ground wire built in?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-28-2010, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

I see many have viewed but no responses anyone who has any info please post a respond thanks.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-28-2010, 08:40 AM

why not plug it in a surge protector and just turn off the surge protector instead? Dont you think unplugging it a couple time a day annoying?
post #4 of 17 Old 11-28-2010, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Unplugging the tv wont hurt it, as long as you turn the tv off before unplugging. You will probably lose all settings and memory when you do this though.

However, with the electrical system being old, and you unplugging and plugging in several times a day, you run the risk of shorting the tv out.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-28-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 111
To the thread starter: Don't know what kind of adapter you are using, but there are adapters available that allow you to plug a device with three prongs and the adapter itself has two prongs with a loop that you attach to the grounding screw of the wall plate. That makes it a "ground" which should be as safe as if the wall outlet had 3-prong plugs instead of 2. Then you shouldn't have to keep unplugging your TV and can use a surge protector. The constant plugging & unplugging will most likely cause more problems in the future than using a proper adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/UL-Listed-Plug...0959814&sr=8-2
post #6 of 17 Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
I have my LED HDTV, my satellite receiver, and my sound system, all plugged into a surge protector. I sometimes turn off all 3 using the surge protector button, without first turning off the individual devices, and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. You don't say if your TV is an LED or CCFL, but I would hesitate to do this with a CCFL set, unless I turned off the TV first.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-28-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

To the thread starter: Don't know what kind of adapter you are using, but there are adapters available that allow you to plug a device with three prongs and the adapter itself has two prongs with a loop that you attach to the grounding screw of the wall plate. That makes it a "ground" which should be as safe as if the wall outlet had 3-prong plugs instead of 2. Then you shouldn't have to keep unplugging your TV and can use a surge protector. The constant plugging & unplugging will most likely cause more problems in the future than using a proper adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/UL-Listed-Plug...0959814&sr=8-2

That adapter does nothing unless the outlet has ground wires ran to it, and if it had ground wire in it then it would most likely have a 3 prong outlet instead of a 2 prong. The only thing that adapter is good for really is make it where you are able to plug in 3 pronged appliances into a 2 prong outlet.
A surge protector wont protect anything unless there is a ground in the outlet.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-29-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Yes this is what I have been told as well that basically the adapters will not actually ground my connection and that therefore surge supressor will not work this is why I am for the moment just unpluging the electronics after using so at least to minimize the surge damage potential. If you have actual knowlegde that this is not the case Boiler Jim then please let me know for obviously if the adapaters will work to create a ground and not adversely effect surge protectors than that would be the easy soultion Thanks.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-30-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
How about installing a ground fault socket in place of the one in the wall right now.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-30-2010, 09:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

Unplugging the tv wont hurt it, as long as you turn the tv off before unplugging. You will probably lose all settings and memory when you do this though.

However, with the electrical system being old, and you unplugging and plugging in several times a day, you run the risk of shorting the tv out.

You don't need to turn the TV off before unplugging it. All memory settings are stored in NVM so it stays there permanently unless you over-write it. A TV cannot be "shorted out" regardless of how old your electrical system is.

Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do.
post #11 of 17 Old 11-30-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclaw View Post

My primary question is will unpugging my Sony HDTV LCD a few times a day rather than just turning it off cause any damage to the TV or it's life

By way of background, I just moved into an apartment and although in my prior home I had all TV & electronics and a computer plugged into quality surge suppressors. This new apartment only has 2 prong outlets no ground. as I assume the surge suppressors not work effectively using a standard 3 to 2 prong adapter am just unplugging items when not in use to avoid the increased potential of a surge occurring when I am not even using the equip, but I am also concerned that unplugging a unit like my LCD TV a few times a day can in and of itself be harmful to the TV is?

In addition, I was wondering as my 46" Sony HD LCD, purchased a year ago only has a 2 prong plug, can I assume that the TV has ground wire built in?

Thanks

It won't hurt the TV one bit when disconnecting power at the AC source. The reason your television goes back to on when AC power is removed in the on position is because this goes back to many years ago when cable boxes were used to turn the TV on and off via the AC power cord.

The reason the ground prong has been removed from Sony TV's the last 3 years is because of problems in households that developed "floating neutral" conditions. Whenver another ground source was connected to the TV (a classic case is when a properly grounded cable line is attached) The energized chassis of the TV (from the floating neutral) would cause current to pass from the ground on the television power cord to the cable line. This caused the ground wire on the TV power cord to overheat and melt the insulation. Not a pleasant experience for the customer.

post #12 of 17 Old 12-03-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

So do you recommend I just continue to unplug the TV in an effort to avoid surges when not in use until I can get the apartment rewired or move
post #13 of 17 Old 12-05-2010, 10:37 PM

No, the TV can handle most "surges" that occur on transmission lines.

post #14 of 17 Old 12-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

If I am not going to be using my TV's for more then a few days I unplug them. Not so much to protect them from power surges but to protect the caps in my Samsung LCD's. I have zero knowledge if this helps or has anything to do with the capacitor problem but I figure it might help a little bit because the power supply is always under a bit of load when the TV is plugged in on stand by.

If someone wants to come on here and tell me I am wasting my time I will stop doing it. However for the record I have several 3 year old Samsung LCD's and so far they all operate with zero issues.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-06-2010, 11:54 AM

Maybe I should just start flipping the main breaker in the electrical service panel in the garage when I leave for work in the morning...

Perfection is unattainable.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-12-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post

If I am not going to be using my TV's for more then a few days I unplug them. Not so much to protect them from power surges but to protect the caps in my Samsung LCD's. I have zero knowledge if this helps or has anything to do with the capacitor problem but I figure it might help a little bit because the power supply is always under a bit of load when the TV is plugged in on stand by.

If someone wants to come on here and tell me I am wasting my time I will stop doing it. However for the record I have several 3 year old Samsung LCD's and so far they all operate with zero issues.

No need to uplug the TV. First of all, we are talking about a Sony here, not a Samsung. Second of all, the Samsung capacitors only aquire hours of usage while the TV is turned on, not while it is in standby.

post #17 of 17 Old 12-13-2010, 02:23 AM

How about a battery backup like on a computer........that might help with potential surges???
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page