Why Am I Still Getting Motion Blur On 120hz - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-27-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have this model tv right here (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-50...0886302&sr=8-1)

I'm noticing when I play games on my PS3 (connected via hdmi/Comcast also connected hdmi) that Im getting motion blur,When watching TV I don't notice any motion blur at all

Should I be worried that its an issue with the TV?

Ive had many problems with a previous model of Sony Bravia that after 3 different problems with that TV concerning an audio issue they finally sent me a different model which happens to be the one listed above and would hate to have to call again and say theres an issue when theres really not.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-27-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan_McSwaGG View Post

So I have this model tv right here (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-50...0886302&sr=8-1)

I'm noticing when I play games on my PS3 (connected via hdmi/Comcast also connected hdmi) that Im getting motion blur,When watching TV I don't notice any motion blur at all

Should I be worried that its an issue with the TV?

Ive had many problems with a previous model of Sony Bravia that after 3 different problems with that TV concerning an audio issue they finally sent me a different model which happens to be the one listed above and would hate to have to call again and say theres an issue when theres really not.

Thanks

Does your TV have a game mode? If yes are you using it?
post #3 of 12 Old 11-27-2010, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Does your TV have a game mode? If yes are you using it?

Yes sir......They have two Game modes-Standard & Original... Occurs in both..

Best way to describe is like this, In a FPS such as COD Black ops if Im facing a light object with a black/dark backround and I have the character jump the light and dark object will "smear" a little

Or another example is with NHL 11... When playing your guy has a red dimaond over his head ala sims......Well this bright red object will trail as you skate on the bright white ice...

Sorry if none of that makes sense but its the most accurate way to describe it
post #4 of 12 Old 11-28-2010, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You are getting ghosting due to the high contrast not motion blur.
What are your backlight and brightness settings? If not about 50% try lowering them.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-28-2010, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Doesn't game mode disable motion interpolation, which is what eliminates blur on LCDs?
post #6 of 12 Old 11-28-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You are getting ghosting due to the high contrast not motion blur.
What are your backlight and brightness settings? If not about 50% try lowering them.

Might be a dumb question but what's the difference between motion blur and ghosting??

Is motion blur more of a smear look abs ghosting is a trailing effect.. I will try lowering brightness and contrast when I get home
post #7 of 12 Old 11-28-2010, 11:56 AM

How are your PS3's video output and display settings set up?

Under your "Display Settings" on the XMB main screen, for video output try selecting all options (480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p) to ensure your games are being output at their native resolution.

Other settings you can fart around with: RGB Full Range on my set-up is set to "Full", but I like deep blacks. You could set to "Limited" to lighten it up. Super White is set to "On", and Deep Color is set to "Automatic". Experiment with these last ones till you find the settings you like.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-28-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Might be a dumb question but what's the difference between motion blur and ghosting??

Is motion blur more of a smear look abs ghosting is a trailing effect..

Yes, And ghosting can be caused when the an exteamly bright part of a scene for one eye crosstalks with an image for the other eye when the shutter is not compeltly opaque for the closed eye. So on an LCD TV reducing the backlighting and /or brightness setting can reduce this. Reducing the contrast setting does not normally make any difference.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-28-2010, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, And ghosting can be caused when the an exteamly bright part of a scene for one eye crosstalks with an image for the other eye when the shutter is not compeltly opaque for the closed eye. So on an LCD TV reducing the backlighting and /or brightness setting can reduce this. Reducing the contrast setting does not normally make any difference.

So minimal ghosting on a Lcd is normal and not cause for concern then?
post #10 of 12 Old 11-28-2010, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

It is difficult to remove blur on LCDs due to slow pixel response and high-hold time. As walford suggested, lower the backlight to match your experiment and at night, lower it to 120/130 cd.m2.

Also, when you use Game Mode, MCFI is disabled, which means the performance of the set becomes identical to a 60Hz display.

Finally, the majority of PS3 and X360 titles have built-in blur and most of them are rendered in 30fps.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-28-2010, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes sir......They have two Game modes-Standard & Original... Occurs in both..

Best way to describe is like this, In a FPS such as COD Black ops if Im facing a light object with a black/dark backround and I have the character jump the light and dark object will "smear" a little

that's normal for an S-PVA pannel. Among all the LCD modes, S-PVA has the lowest pixel response (especially between light and dark tones). You just have to adopt to it.

Quote:

Or another example is with NHL 11... When playing your guy has a red dimaond over his head ala sims......Well this bright red object will trail as you skate on the bright white ice...

Sorry if none of that makes sense but its the most accurate way to describe it

Again its normal for S-PVA.

If you're seriously bothered by such issues, you could try A-MVA or IPS panel.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-28-2010, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is motion blur more of a smear look abs ghosting is a trailing effect.. I will try lowering brightness and contrast when I get home

Blur is when the moving image isn't clear, which is caused by high hold time. Lowering the backlight does help to reduce to an extend.

Ghosting is caused by low pixel response and overdrive. You may notice black or white trailing behind moving objects and one set of colors bleeding into another during motion and such.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page