Toshiba 55WX800U - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe there was a new firmware update this morning. Turned on the TV an hour ago and it stated there was one. I was getting ready for work so I didn't poke around after the update. Anyone know what it did?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 12:35 AM

I registered to post and confirm that the "Some other mode from PC and GAME, turning noise to LOW fixes flicker.."

Basically, I died when I read that NO SETTINGS, with NO HARDWARE, fixes the pc flicker problem. How bloody annoying since this is my MAIN work monitor and I just paid $1500 for it on "clearance" with NO return. Aside from the fact that I no-longer have the box, AND it's massive and impossible to move by myself.

SO, it DID NOT work until I upgraded the firmware!

I set it to SPORTS mode... went in and changed DNR Noise Reduction to LOW, and it works. If I set it to OFF, it still flickers. How friggen annoying.

This ONLY happens when you have picture scale set to "Native." It doesn't flicker if you have it set to FULL.

I have no idea why this happens and it doesn't make sense to me however if you are having problems with the flicker and you found this thread, all you need to do is:

1.) Update Firmware
2.) Select a mode OTHER than PC/Game (to allow you to change Noise Reduction Settings)
3.) Set DNR to LOW
4.) Set Picture to NATIVE
5.) Enjoy 1080P pc viewing!

I had an ollld HDMI cable plugged in to a "mini to normal" adapter in to the back of my GTX570, and I experienced the flicker. I went out and bought a gold-plated Rev 1.4 cable, and it made no difference. Only these DNR settings after firmware upgrade work. Without the firmware upgrade, it didn't fix it.

Gorgeous TV, the prettiest of them all that I've seen. I just bought a pair of glasses, $160 I can't believe it, $50 online, or $160 in the store.............. yuck.

If anything changes I'll update this, but I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have to!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:39 AM

Fantastic, I just wrote a whole huge post on how to fix this WITHOUT changing from PC mode....

ANYWAY

Solution for using PC-Mode and getting rid of flicker using basically any modern video card.

This is how I did it with the nVidia GTX 570

Go to nVidia Control Panel, go to "Adjust Desktop Size and Position" and enable Desktop resizing, hit apply, select desktop resize method to "underscan" and then hit RESIZE, and...... resize the screen!

Now you have a full screen 1080p pc-mode tv without any flicker!
Old 09-02-2011, 11:13 AM

... and finally, although that DOES work, you lose resolution.

It confused me, I thought it scaled down the picture not the bit-depth, so you don't get 1080p like it says, you get something like 1880x1052 or something, so you certainly lose quality. Much much better than 720p buuut simply adjusting something else - sports, movie1, movie2, etc.. - to LOW DNR and whatever else you want, works best.

Sorry for the three posts.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:52 PM

... still flickering, like crazy - I bought this thing to do video work in After Effects.. whenever I zoom in or have a grid of any sort on the screen it flashes back and fourth. What a huge pain in the ass, and best of all it was a clearance item so I couldn't even return the thing. I bought it as a PC monitor, and it doesn't work as one and there's no apparent fix for it. Tried to sell it to my friend but they want a 60" to replace their 60" rear-projection. Jeepers
Old 11-27-2011, 07:31 PM

Does anyone know if this set supports Ethernet over HDMI connections, as per the 1.4a spec.?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:01 PM

Pretty sure it doesn't. I couldn't find that mention anywhere.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:35 AM

Liked: 14
My net TV isnt working anymore. I'm trying to watch netflix but when I hit the nettv button it says loading wait one moment but nothing happens.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:03 PM

Just an update and a heads up for people. Last week I had to reset my TV to factory defaults for the second time as the sound for whatever reason via HDMI stops working. I am the only person who touches this TV so I know it wasn't a setting that was "accidentally" changed. This is also the second time I have had to do this in the past 6ish months. Not complaining, just mentioning for people that have to troubleshoot. A simple reset to factory defaults (via menu) tends to help "unsolvable" problems.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 AM

So, it appears that I ***HAVE*** fixed it!

I've read on other forums that the "T-CON" board needs to be cleaned.

Not the case, I'm using this screen as a monitor from my ATI 6950 xfire setup. Best place to make the screen flicker on NATIVE screen size, was go to maps.google.com

This morning I woke up thinking, "blah I'm sick of not being able to do WORK on my main monitor, I'll just switch it to FULL from NATIVE and resize my desktop via the gpu" but while doing that I couldn't find the damned settings! I DID find though: "COLOR PIXEL FORMAT" in my Catalst Control Centre (right click the desktop, and went to basically DESKTOP SETTINGS) and changed it from YCbCr 4:4:4 to RGB FULL 4:4:4.

Problem solved - actually! SO SIMPLE, but it makes total sense.

Eitherway, I'm STOKED and hope someone benefits from this accidental find! I'm now going to play with noise settings and see if that causes any issues! *cheers
Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 PM

Just an update - since I've done this, there hasn't been one flash! The colours are MUCH nicer now too for video editing and games! (I couldn't turn them up before without it flickering)
Old 11-01-2012, 01:57 PM

One more update 2 weeks later:

Flashing is back.

BUT only on super bright images.

I ended up switching to FULL screen mode on the TV, and scaling the image down on my PC to make it fit properly - but the text was all blurry and it was no longer 1920x1080 it was more like 1700x930 or something stupid. I updated my drivers to the newest ATI ones (Oct 2012) and I could no longer change the pixel format and I've just now switched back to: 2012.0611.1251.21046 and I can change the pixel format from RGB and back.

FULL RGB there is a lot of flicker on bright images, but on LIMITED (Studio) RGB in the Catalyst Control Center... I get barely any flicker at all.

What a pain, I thought I had it fixed but it turns out NOPE just SEVERELY limited the amount of flashes.

Either way, best solution so far is - if you have an ATI card like me - go to the Catalyst Control Center ( just right click on the desk top and select it) then go to MY DIGITAL FLAT-PANELS and go down to PIXEL FORMAT and change it to RGB Limited.

At least now, google maps and photoshop and basically everything else I do no longer causes flashing back and forth between modes. Again just super bright screens - pure white - sometimes cause it to flash back and forth.