AVS Forum banner

Toshiba 55WX800U

43K views 221 replies 52 participants last post by  krallopian 
#1 ·
Any one with this LED? How does it perform?

#2 ·
in the same position as you guys. how can no one have reviewed this set yet?

i just checked consumer reports and they list the 55wx800 as currently being tested, and expect to have results published this month. this should give us an indicator of the quality of the 55wx800 set.

#3 ·
Couldn't wait on the reviews. Ended up with a LG(LE8500). Not 3D but amazing PQ and full array backlighting.

#5 ·
if you email amazon and tell them ur very interested but upset that the 46 gives u a blu ray player and 55 doesnt. Tell them you'll buy the 55 if they can include it. I did it and they said they will refund me back when i purchase it. Still thinking if i'm going to or not

#6 ·
i posted this on another forum and thought it would help some folks out here as well.

i was able to set up the tv and watch a movie on it (the expendables) over the weekend.

i have to say, im very impressed with the image quality. the blacks were very deep (it was a dark movie), but not crushing.

one of the most important thing for me was the even backlighting (no bleeding) and lack of flashlighting corners, which i've experienced with previous CFL LCDs.

the tv itself looks great- thin stylish bezel and all.

having trouble setting up the wifi... will play with it more later this week.

i would put this on par with my several year old panasonic plasma, if not slightly better, which is saying a lot since i love my panny.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo /forum/post/19638737

i posted this on another forum and thought it would help some folks out here as well.

i was able to set up the tv and watch a movie on it (the expendables) over the weekend.

i have to say, im very impressed with the image quality. the blacks were very deep (it was a dark movie), but not crushing.

one of the most important thing for me was the even backlighting (no bleeding) and lack of flashlighting corners, which i've experienced with previous CFL LCDs.

the tv itself looks great- thin stylish bezel and all.

having trouble setting up the wifi... will play with it more later this week.

i would put this on par with my several year old panasonic plasma, if not slightly better, which is saying a lot since i love my panny.

How about screen uniformity? I've noticed on a lot of LED sets around the edges of the screen they aren't uniform. Also during screen pans you can see some vertical lines where areas of the screen are darker and lighter.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr /forum/post/19640048

How about screen uniformity? I've noticed on a lot of LED sets around the edges of the screen they aren't uniform. Also during screen pans you can see some vertical lines where areas of the screen are darker and lighter.

uniformity for geometry?

i was watching the movie more for enjoyment and only did a cursory inspection for backlight bleeding and banding (both of which were not present), black levels and color.

#9 ·
as , i received the TV within 3 days from Amazon (wow). the glasses are arriving today, and the BD player came last week as well.

love the set and the thin glossy bezel. the picture is great as well. only got to demo 1 movie on there so far, since i've been busy all weekend but i'm more than satisfied.

it holds its own against my panasonic 50" plasma, and exceeds it with all the other features.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo /forum/post/19640217

like i stated in the other thread, i received mine within 3 days from Amazon (wow).

love the set and the thin glossy bezel. the picture is great as well. only got to demo 1 movie on there so far, since i've been busy all weekend but i'm more than satisfied.

it holds its own against my panasonic 50" plasma, and exceeds it with all the other features.

Pics, please.

CNet should be reviewing this one soon...

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo /forum/post/19640125

uniformity for geometry?

i was watching the movie more for enjoyment and only did a cursory inspection for backlight bleeding and banding (both of which were not present), black levels and color.

Banding is what I was talking about so that's great to hear!
I had the first gen Samung Edgelit LED set and it was a hot mess with vertical banding.

How was off angle viewing? This is one area I've noticed that LED sets seem to fall behind CCFL ones.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr /forum/post/19640793

Banding is what I was talking about so that's great to hear!
I had the first gen Samung Edgelit LED set and it was a hot mess with vertical banding.

How was off angle viewing? This is one area I've noticed that LED sets seem to fall behind CCFL ones.

i know of banding very well. i also have a sharp 46" LCD and while the banding is better than the older sharps, the flashlighting corners drive me nuts on that set.

i watched the movie straight on so i can't comment on off angle IQ.

i'll get some more seat time this week and give more impressions and post pics.

can someone merge the 2 Toshiba WX800U threads?

#14 ·
found a "professional" review.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/tele...v-Review_2.htm

Quote:
The 46WX800U is thin and stylish. This is a direct result of the LED Edge-Light system.

When the set is off, it is one big deep black rectangle with a very thin outer bezel frame. The bezel design and stand have a very straight edge, minimalist appearance. The stand allows the TV to swivel several degrees to the left and right.

The 46WX800U also offers a full complement of audio/video inputs, including four HDMI inputs, two USB ports, SD Card slot, and Ethernet port for network/internet connectivity. The 46WX800U also has extensive video adjustment options that can be used by an experienced user or installer to do more detailed calibration.

2D Performance

The 46WX800U is a very good performer. Despite the use of LED Edge Lighting, the blacks were actually very good. However, when there is no image on the screen, or in extremely dark scenes, there is some unevenness in black level as a result of soft white blotches in several spots across the screen. However, there is no white "spotlight" effect on the corners of the screen, as I have noticed in several other LED Edge-Lit LCD TVs.

LED edge lighting aside, color saturation and detail were excellent with 2D high definition source material, especially Blu-ray Discs. The live action Dark Knight and the combination of live-action-CGI in Avatar looked fantastic, with the images displaying a lot of depth.

Also, letterbox and pillarbox bars when they are present were black enough so as not be distracting, blending well with black frame of the TV, which makes watching 4:3 and 2:35 aspect ratio content more pleasurable.

"Toshiba 46WX800U Cinema Series 3D LCD NetTV with LED Edge-Light - Remote Control"

Toshiba 46WX800U Cinema Series 3D LCD NetTV with LED Edge-Light - Remote Control

Photo (c) Robert Silva - Licensed to About.com

The 46WX800U's performance with 2D high-def material was top-notch, and slightly above average with standard def sources. Using the HQV Benchmark Test Disc, the 46WX800U passed most tests (see test examples).

In addition, the 46WX800U 120Hz Refresh Rate refresh rate and 240Hz ClearFrame processing provided smooth motion response in 2D, but some jitter when viewing 3D material.

3D Performance

When viewing 3D, I felt that the default Autoview picture setting was definitely not adequate for 3D, as the brightness and contrast were too subdued to prevent crosstalk and glare. I found that the Sports setting was best when viewing 3D, as the maximization of Backlight level and Contrast made the 3D images more defined, and compensated well for loss of brightness when viewing through 3D glasses.

With the limited 3D Blu-ray Disc material available for this review, I found that My Bloody Valentine, Monster House, and Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs offered some excellent 3D examples, but it is evident that the 3D viewing experience relies on everything in the chain: TV, Content Source, and Glasses working well together.

To sum up the 46WX800's 3D performance, it is on par with other 3D LCD TVs I have seen, but not quite as good as 3D plasma sets I have seen. Plasma TVs offer better native motion response and seem to exhibit less crosstalk.

NetTV

The 46WX800U also offers internet widgets, referred to as NetTV.

Some of the accessible services and sites include: Pandora, YouTube, Netflix, Vudu, Blockbuster, Twit, NBC, Flickr, Picassa, Facebook, Twitter, and more...

Playing available content is easy, but you need a good high-speed broadband connection. In my area, my broadband speed is only 1.5mbps which resulted in some video playback stopping periodically to buffer. One workaround is when you access and select a video, put it in stop mode - this will let buffer continue for awhile. Then, when you click play, the video should play longer without encountering the buffering interruptions.

On the other hand, I found when playing the Vudu in SD format that it still looked pretty good and streamed smoothly without any buffering issues. Also, Netdflix has a function that automatically adjusts the quality of its feed based on your connection speed that helps to prevent buffering issues.

It must be noted that there is a lot of variation in the video quality of the streamed content, ranging from low-res compressed video that is hard to watch on a large screen to high-def video feeds that look more like DVD quality or slightly better. Even 1080p content streamed from the internet will not look quite as detailed as 1080p content played directly from a Blu-ray Disc. As mention above, broadband speed is also a factor.

What I Liked About The Toshiba 46WX800U

1. Excellent Color and detail.

2. 3D works well provided contrast and backlight settings are set high and the content is produced well for 3D viewing.

3. NetTV provides good selection of internet streaming options.

4. Access to digital media from USB flash drives and DLNA certified network connected devices.

5. Very good motion response on 2D material when Clearscan 240 is engaged.

"Toshiba FPT-AGO1U Active Shutter 3D Glasses with Included Accessories"

Toshiba FPT-AGO1U Active Shutter 3D Glasses with Included Accessories

Photo (c) Robert Silva - Licensed to About.com

6. Extensive picture setting/calibration options. This may be overwhelming to the novice, but provides the more technically inclined and installers comprehensive calibration adjustments for better results. 6. Large, but easy-to-use backlit remote. Easier to use in the dark.

What I Didn't Like About The Toshiba 46WX800U

1. Long turn on time - takes about 5 seconds to hear sound and 10 seconds before image appears on screen.

2. Screen surface susceptible to some glare.

3. Long time duration when changing TV channels. This may be frustrating for some. There is a delay of about a second or so when changing from one TV channel to another.

4. Brightness decrease as well as some jitter and crosstalk when viewing 3D content. Contrast and Backlight settings should set high or the TV set in Sports mode for best 3D effect.

5. 3D Glasses not included and are expensive.

Final Take

Although the 46WX800U is not perfect, and not everyone is excited about 3D, it does provide good core video performance for high definition sources that will please most consumers. In addition, besides 3D, the NetTV and Media player options perform very well and really add to its value as a centerpiece for a home theater system. If you are looking for a 3D-TV, put this set on your list. On the other hand, even if you are not looking for a 3D TV, the 46WX800 provides an excellent 2D high definition viewing experience and is definitely worth consideration.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by srd5335 /forum/post/19638212

if you email amazon and tell them ur very interested but upset that the 46 gives u a blu ray player and 55 doesnt. Tell them you'll buy the 55 if they can include it. I did it and they said they will refund me back when i purchase it. Still thinking if i'm going to or not

You have a PM, I was unable to get Amazon to extend this to me on the 55.

#21 ·
Pics as promised. Let me know what you guys think.

**COPY/PASTE the URL's**

site does not allow referrals from AVS.

Blank screen on HDMI input (PS3 off); blacks are pretty good, can barely tell where the screen and bezel meet.

Some slight bleed at the corner but still very good IMO, esp. when compared to my old Sharp LCD.
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/blahblahyoutoo/55a.JPG

PS3 XMB.
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/blahblahyoutoo/55b.JPG

PS3 XMB off angle.
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/blahblahyoutoo/55c.JPG

PS3 XMB even more off angle.
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/blahblahyoutoo/55d.JPG

Shutting down PS3 screen, no clouding or flashlighting at the corners.
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/blahblahyoutoo/55e.JPG

SF4 char select.
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/blahblahyoutoo/55f.JPG

Lights on so you can see the screen and bezel. I didn't use flash in the pic so excuse the blurriness.
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/blahblahyoutoo/55g.JPG

Lower angle from the side, you can see how reflective the screen is. Those are my in-ceiling lights.
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/blahblahyoutoo/55h.JPG

arghhh, i need a new host. or you guys can copy/paste the URL's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.