Vizio M470VT / M420VT / MxxNV Owners Forum - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchased the Vizio M470VT at Costco and am extremely happy so far.

The picture is insanely sharp on the HD channels that are known to have better HD (CBS, NBC, ESPN) and watching in full-HD on NetFlix seems to be Blu-Ray quality to me.

The one concern that I have so far is spot-lighting or flash-lighting on the top edge when I change the channel and there is 0.5 - 1.0 seconds of black screen. I don't know yet whether this will be noticeable enough when watching movies to bother me but from what I have read this is a problem for all edge-lit LEDs without local dimming. I have read that this even plagues brand names typically assumed to be superior to Vizio (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic).

Anyone else have any thoughts on the M470VT or have recently purchased? I watched 5 leave Costco in 10 minutes while I was there the other Saturday morning so yall are out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-29-2010, 09:45 AM
tnh

I am having the same problem outlined in my thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1293975

heres a pic

http://yfrog.com/evphotoxy0j

This is my second m420vt and ive called vizio, there response was "all led tvs have flashlighting" I will be returning it to costco for the panasonic led tv..

Wish me luck
post #3 of 23 Old 11-30-2010, 01:14 PM

regardless of the back lighting issues anyone try to calibrate the M420? I would like to know what would be good settings on this tv for setting it up, I set it to what I like but that might not be what it should be.
post #4 of 23 Old 12-03-2010, 09:20 AM

I only have flashlighting in one corner of my new 470vt (lower left). But it might be annoying enough that I won't keep the TV
post #5 of 23 Old 12-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

I picked one up during the Costco deal for the bedroom. Im not seeing the flashlight problems or at least no where near as bad as the pic you posted. The only con Ive found so far is playback of mkv's has lip-sync issues that get worst as the file plays. Not a deal breaker though as I still have a wdtv player to fall back on.

btw anyone know if these sets get firmware upgrades?

Fernando
post #6 of 23 Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 AM

fs123,

any chance you can take a pic of your screen with a black background?

My flash/blooming is so bad right now I don't think I can keep the tv... It's really bad in the lower left but I notice it in two other corners too
post #7 of 23 Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 PM

I bought the M470VT a few weeks ago (deal @ Costco) & also have a little flashlighting issue. It sits right above the Vizio logo. Not too distracting, although no one else notices it until I tell them about it. I love the TV & am also looking for anyone else trying to calibrate this awesome set......
post #8 of 23 Old 12-16-2010, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

@Spriggan - Are the flashlights along the top edge of the screen or only the bottom?

I have 3 noticeable spotlights equally spaced out along the top. If yours are only on the bottom I wonder if the severity varies from set to set and I may get lucky with another one. Or may get UNlucky
post #9 of 23 Old 12-28-2010, 11:38 AM

@MattC~ The issue that I had was right above the Vizio logo. I finally returned it to Costco & exchanged it for another set. This one has a very tiny spot on the lower right hand corner. It's a lot better than the last one & not very noticable. This one I'm pretty sure that I can live with
post #10 of 23 Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM

I haven't noticed the flashing issue which has been mentioned but I do have another concern.

I purchased the Vizio M420VT as a monitor to my mac mini and the image quality stinks. It is extremely difficult to read any size text. The font size is ok but the letters are not distinct for any menu items and web pages even zoomed. I have not messed with much except the switching between the picture modes. Any ideas?

Connecting through a Kanex + Toshilink HDMI cable (video and audio).

Pictures, web images, movies, DVDs all look fine but text just appears pixel-ated.

I previously had the mac mini connected to a 50" Pioneer Elite 720p plasma and text/image quality was phenomonal. I'm trying to move the computer to a more "reasonable" size screen for an office/den.

Anyone else have this connected to a computer?
post #11 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 11:09 AM

Have you tried to adjust the screen resolution on your MAC? I know it says to adjust it to a specific resolution in the owners manual.
post #12 of 23 Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

I decided that the flashlighting was not bad enough to go to the trouble of boxing the TV up and returning it to Costco. I only notice it when I change the channel and the screen goes dark for .25 seconds. I've checked while watching dark scenes in movies like The Day the Earth Stood Still, Book of Eli and Predators and it is not noticeable there.

My brother purchased the Samsung UN46C6300 which is also edge-lit and he is experiencing worse flash lighting than I am with the Vizio. It seems to be a problem affecting all edge-lit LEDs and unless I want to spend another ~$500 for a full-array back-lit with smart dimming XVT473SV -which I don't right now- I can definitely deal with the lights for .25 seconds at a time.

Also, has anyone connected this TV to a soundbar or surround system? I recently purchased the Panasonic SC-HTB500 from Costco (much better price than any other retailer I saw when researching) and the soundbar has an optical audi (TOSLINK) input that I am trying to mate to the TV's S/PDIF audio output.

Not sure what the best way to proceed is. Anyone work with a S/PDIF to TOSLINK/ Optical converter before? I will post this on a thread for the soundbar as well.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone one getting a loud buzz from the back light? If I have the backlight set to anything higher than ~55 it starts.

Fernando
post #14 of 23 Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 AM

I just picked up the M470VT from Costco with the $150 instant rebate. I went for this one due to the price and Costco warranty, and also unfortunately because the Panasonic Plasma that I had originally had delivered from Amazon was DOA, so I decided to go local.

The full array LED from Vizio was ending up to be $500 more than this tv, so in that context, I am very happy so far with this model...
post #15 of 23 Old 01-16-2011, 06:50 PM

i just got a m470vt
im neew to the HD tv thins
and i have a e421va
and it seems like that ones better?
for movies and games i noticed that the m470 has a way worse smooth motion
than the e421. theres way more options on the m470 but watching movies i prefer the
e421.

i just thought better tv meant better smooth motion, am i wrong?
is the 470 not much better than the 421?
post #16 of 23 Old 01-31-2011, 05:13 PM

Does anyone own a Vizio M Series LED TV, I own the m470nv. I was curious to know if any one had any suggested picture settings so that I can optimize the picture on this great TV. Not sure if it matters but I have it connected using HDMI and I have Uverse service. Please help! Also, I have a Sony Blu-Ray player.
post #17 of 23 Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 AM

Does anyone else have a white flickering (assuming from the edge led lighting??) on certain channels when it is a dark screen?
I only see it occasionally, all along the top of the screen when it is a black picture.
post #18 of 23 Old 02-16-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fs123 View Post

Anyone one getting a loud buzz from the back light? If I have the backlight set to anything higher than ~55 it starts.

Hi - I had this exact same problem. My buzz would start between ~52 and ~55 as well.
The higher I turned the backlight the higher pitched/disconcerting it would get.

I called vizio , jumped through the hoops and they sent a tech who came today. He was pretty nice and replaced the power board but the buzzing is still there. He called who I assume is HD repair, not vizio and their tech on the phone told me that they dont think it was the main board but since they replaced the power board and this is still happening - that i should consider it expected behavior.

Both the tech at my house and on the phone told me I had the option of following up with Vizio still or Costco where I bought the thing. I have until late march to return it to costco and can't decide what I want to do.

For my needs the tv looks great at under 55 backlight and the tech told me 'you shouldn't turn it too high anyway or you'll burn out your backlight'.

Seems like a brand new tv should be able to handle all the settings it provides in its own menu.

So I'm stuck - it looks great picture wise but this buzz is concerning... any thoughts? Should I hold onto it, get more of a name brand from costco?

They did tell me if i swap it that i should go for a totally different model since it seems like something inherent in the m470vt's design.

Thanks!
post #19 of 23 Old 02-19-2011, 06:21 PM

own the M420NV.. I love this TV because its sharp image. Actually bought it at Walmart when comparing with a Sony X500 and some samsung and Phillips TVS around, specially at high actions scenes.

Reading this forum I just discovered what is call that spot with a little bright in bot right corner "flashlighting"

The calibration settings that came from factory worked fine in my room and I feel comfortable looking at it, so I think it will no need anything additional. So if you liked the picture why to move something? it's like looking at the TV's, you loved the first LCD you saw.. later you discovered another with sharper image, and then you see the difference when comparing each other, you returned again the next day and see the same first TV and you think is the 2nd you saw yesterday until you compare them again... So, what the hell, right now it looks really nice hanging by an ultraslim support that only cost me 16 bucks from walmart online.
post #20 of 23 Old 04-21-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgevalles View Post
own the M420NV.. I love this TV because its sharp image. Actually bought it at Walmart when comparing with a Sony X500 and some samsung and Phillips TVS around, specially at high actions scenes.

Reading this forum I just discovered what is call that spot with a little bright in bot right corner "flashlighting"

The calibration settings that came from factory worked fine in my room and I feel comfortable looking at it, so I think it will no need anything additional. So if you liked the picture why to move something? it's like looking at the TV's, you loved the first LCD you saw.. later you discovered another with sharper image, and then you see the difference when comparing each other, you returned again the next day and see the same first TV and you think is the 2nd you saw yesterday until you compare them again... So, what the hell, right now it looks really nice hanging by an ultraslim support that only cost me 16 bucks from walmart online.
I'm looking at buying a refurb Vizio M470NV from Circuit City (they have them for $729 right now) - and have been doing a bit of research. The spotlighting/blooming issue that seems to be rampant with the M470VT is apparently not an issue with the M470NV. I have read a few threads where people had purchased the M470VT, grew tired of the spotlighting issue, returned their M470VTs & exchanged them for M470NVs...and said the issue didn't exist anymore in the new set.

Sorry this isn't really a "fix" for the M470VT owners out there...unless you're purchased it recently enough that you can return it and order the M470NV?

Cheers!
post #21 of 23 Old 06-12-2011, 03:36 PM

I have the M420NV that I got as a refurb from Overstock. It is a great TV but I am having trouble with a persistent shadow at the top of the screen. Anyone else experience something like this with their sets?
post #22 of 23 Old 07-11-2011, 06:20 PM

I've had this set for awhile now and have never had any luck utilizing the Smooth Motion/Real Cinema settings. I have finally gotten a Samsung BD C5500 blue-ray player and have set it to display @ the 24fps.

I have read numerous posts on how people have been using their smooth motion/real cinema settings & how it works wonders for them, unfortunately I havn't had the same type of luck. I've tried using smooth motion on low w/ real cinema off & it's ok. Skips a little here and there, nothing too major. But if I have smooth motion on & set real cinema to either smooth or precision, the picture goes totally ballistic. Flickering, cutting out, you name it, it happens. What am I doing wrong? So many have said that using smooth motion on low & real cinema on smooth it's perfect. I've searched & searched, reading everything I can about how Vizio's smooth motion works & still can find no solution. Please help!!!
post #23 of 23 Old 07-13-2011, 07:53 PM

So I called Vizio tech support yesterday regarding the problems I've been having trying to utilize the smooth motion/real cinema settings & what they've told me is that they don't recommend using those particular settings via HDMI?? WTF? I even told them that it consistently does it while watching tv that is hooked up via coaxial. So I'm at a loss. I may contact them again to see what needs to be done in order to have a technician come out to my house & take a look.....Anyone else think that their explanation is a load of crap??
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page