Bravia Z-Series [KDL-46Z4100] screen discoloration problem... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-01-2010, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, Hope you can help me.

I've had a KDL-46Z4100 for nearly two years now, and recently I've noticed that the way the TV displays white is changing, pretty drastically. So far this issue is only really noticeable on pure white or light gray content... It's as though there are patches of dimness or off-white color across the screen. Tried fiddling with the picture settings on the TV but nothing had much of an effect on it.

Colors and blacks have otherwise not been affected, and you can't see any issue during normal use (that doesn't involve a lot of white). Brightness seems fine, though it is set at MAX currently and isn't THAT bright (I know you're not supposed to set it to max and actually I didn't realize it was set that high until I went in to fiddle with the settings. Annoyed at myself for that one as I know it's taxing on the bulb). The problem only becomes noticeable when viewing content with large area of white, and it's something I've noticed only recently, so I know this has just developed.

I've tried multiple inputs and sources, the issue remains. TV hasn't been moved or damaged in any way. I've updated the firmware once, in the spring of this year (the sparkly patch), I believe it is the most up to date version though I can't be positive at the moment.

I've attached a photo I took of the TV while viewing a pure white picture which pretty clearly shows the problem. The screen seems very dim in the image, as I lowered the exposure on the camera a bit so you guys can see the issue I'm seeing, but it's actually a bit brighter. Still very noticeable.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? I've heard that when LCD bulbs are dying it could result in screen discoloration/dimness. Could that be what's happening here? Or is it something more serious (and costly)?

Of course this happens when I'm out of warranty! Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm bumping this during normal business hours in the hope that someone can see the post and help me. Any information AT ALL would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:51 AM

Hey I just wanted to let you know I found your thread, have the exact same TV and am having the exact same problem. It seems to have just shown up ~6 months ago and I didn't even notice it until someone else in my family pointed it out. You can only see the brown spots when the screen is white or something very light is being displayed. My spots look almost the same as yours, one in the middle and two off to the sides of it, but the middle spot doesn't extend so far into the top of the screen.

I am actually about to move and decided to have a technician come and take a look at it. I have scheduled a service call this morning, they haven't called me yet to tell me how much them coming to look at it is going to cost me. Depending on what they tell me is wrong and how much its going to cost to fix it I'm not sure that I'll do anything about it. I only paid ~$1000 for this thing two years ago and I'm guessing any repair is going to be half or more than that amount.

I really haven't found anyone else complaining of this issue. I had really hoped to find more info out there about it. I'll post an update to this thread if I find out anything good.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Please let me know what you find out about the TV. I think my problem may actually be getting worse, I've just decided to wait and see what happens, especially if your news comes back to be particularly costly...

Anyway, thanks for your post, looking forward to hearing back.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:38 PM

I have a Sony KDL-46Z4100 and have the same issues. Dim foggy brown spots during white screen shot and light faded curvature lines on the sides of the panel. Appears to be getting slowly worse by the month. ElectraSound came out to look at it ($89) and said that the panel was bad. Yep, $1,700 for the panel and $300 for labor. I can buy 3 of these for the cost of repair. Since I was out of luck and warranty, I decided to hassle Sony. They pretty read from a script and continued to blame the system for generating a poor solution to fix/replace my TV.
They offered three different size TVs (40, 46 60) at their company discount. All of which I count find online cheaper. Not much of assistance to me. Pretty sad that a company as large as sony can not back their product up and find a respectable, fair solution. Customer service was poor and lied many times. I had to fight with them just to get my claim escalated. Originally they said they can not do anything, not even offer company discounts. The second time they offered the above and the third time they offer the above, plus a six month extended warranty on top of the one year (whoopee). Not very happy with Sony. I've work very had for my money and for a TV to only last 1. 5 years is ridiculous. I wish there was a class action suit file against them on this. Please advise if any one is aware of. Thanks
Old 01-15-2011, 09:09 PM

I noticed the same problem a month ago, my tv is a 46z4100, bought early dec 2009, so about 2 years and a month old. After I initially noticed this problem, the tcon board (LCD controller) went and i just finished replacing that about 2 days ago to get the tv working again. See my posts here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1273273
Old 01-15-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha_bandit View Post

I noticed the same problem a month ago, my tv is a 46z4100, bought early dec 2009, so about 2 years and a month old. After I initially noticed this problem, the tcon board (LCD controller) went and i just finished replacing that about 2 days ago to get the tv working again.

So you saw the discolored areas on your screen before the color lines issue started? And this is the part that you ordered and replaced from usefulparts .com: "LCD Controller Board T400HW01 From Sony KDL-40Z4100" (sorry it wont let me post links)? It solved the issue with the color lines AND discolored/cloudy areas on your screen?

I just really want to clarify in case this is something I will need to do myself, I have a repair person coming to my house on Monday and if they quote me the same thing HDBikes was told, a solution that will only cost me $75 and a little time is definitely something I would pursue.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:33 AM

Hey the_bandit, bumping this thread in the hopes you see what I wrote. I just want to confirm that the problem COMPLETELY resolved the issue with the cloudy, discolored areas on your screen. I would have sent you a PM to confirm but apparently I have to have 5 posts to do that!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:35 PM

hey sirotan, sorry for the confusion, but the problem with the brown spots was NOT solved by this part, just the colored lines problem. I STILL have the spots on my screen. Repeat: the spots are still there. I just wanted to see if there was a link between these issues...
Old 01-17-2011, 01:57 PM

Oh dang, well thats a bummer. Well the technician I had scheduled was supposed to be here between 1 and 5pm today, its now 4pm so hopefully he will actually show up. Since it doesn't look like it will be the easy fix I was hoping for I bet the news he will have for me won't be good. Crossing my fingers that he won't just tell me its a bad panel and I'm SOL.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:33 PM

yea please update if this is in fact the panel or the backlight...
Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 PM

Yeah bad news guys....I had to sit around for 4 hours waiting for the technician to come and check out my TV. After waiting and waiting I called and was told they had screwed up and the tech wasn't going to be coming, but that they'd give me a call later that evening. Well over the phone I described my problem to the tech and since he was feeling apologetic and didn't want to charge me $99 to come look at it if he didn't need to, he told me a few things I could do to verify if it was a problem with the panel or otherwise.

Long story short, the panel is bad and there's nothing they can do about it other than replace the panel. Yup. It blows. I'm trying to contain my rage. Looks like in 6mo to a year I'll be buying a new television.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:17 PM

panel eh?, thought so, these tv's were only made to last 2 years or so, sony has turned really crappy. these Z series were one model below the XBR line, even those have the same TCON problems. No more sony electronics for me...
Old 01-19-2011, 01:12 PM

KDL52Z5100 TV here.

After one year, this is what my TV looks like: http://imgur.com/8LdVx.jpg

From what I've seen on the Sony forums, the panels in some models started failing.

I bought extra warranty but 2 months later they still did not fix it. (I think I'm going to go the legal way if the replacement tv is not good enough).

If you are no longer covered by the warranty, I suggest you contact your local office for the consumer protection.

At least here in Quebec (Canada), a TV should last more than 1 year. Nobody should replace their TV after 1 year. Take them to the small courts claim.

There are also youtube videos posted with the same problem but for different series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMWyIHYkGms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7GxZBeRnaQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW-DW...eature=related

If you have a Z series and your warranty is almost out, it might be a good time to extend it if possible.

If you start having any of the issues seen in the videos, you will have to change the panel and from the Sony service provider, it is almost as expensive as the TV.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM

I purchased my TV in 12/2008. I got an extended warranty. I noticed the discoloration a couple of months ago then when the hockey playoffs began it became annoying so I called my extended warranty company. Originally a technician was going to come out but due to scheduling problems the technician indicated that the symptoms indicated the screen needed to be replaced and would reschedule once the replacement came in. When I followed up I was told that screen replacement was not a warranty option and that I would be notified in a couple of days about a TV replacement option. I called to check on the status and was told that I had 2 options: they would replace the TV with a Samsung LN46D630 or give me $949.99 in cash. I have always been a SONY fan so I argued about the option and even called SONY but to no avail. SONY says my TV is passed the one year warranty so I have to deal with the extended warranty company. Maybe I should rethink my loyalty to SONY. Anyone know anything about the Samsung LN46D630?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:11 AM

I purchased my TV in 12/2008. I got an extended warranty. I noticed the discoloration a couple of months ago then when the hockey playoffs began it became annoying so I called my extended warranty company. Originally a technician was going to come out but due to scheduling problems the technician indicated that the symptoms indicated the screen needed to be replaced and would reschedule once the replacement came in. When I followed up I was told that screen replacement was not a warranty option and that I would be notified in a couple of days about a TV replacement option. I called to check on the status and was told that I had 2 options: they would replace the TV with a Samsung LN46D630 or give me $949.99 in cash. I have always been a SONY fan so I argued about the option and even called SONY but to no avail. SONY says my TV is passed the one year warranty so I have to deal with the extended warranty company. Maybe I should rethink my loyalty to SONY. Anyone know anything about the Samsung LN46D630?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:08 PM

Bumping this old thread. I've had the same problem for over a year and a half now. Had this TV since 11/08. Maybe we can see how many others have this problem?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:53 PM

Same issue here. The spots are in the same locations as audacityscape's. I also have some dimly lit areas of panel showing up as 1" vertical bars. They span the length of the panel (vertically) and seem to be increasing in number across the panel as time passes. I notice them when the image is not in motion, such as on the "no input" screen. I've had the TV since 2008.