Samsung Panel Version Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 761 Old 07-09-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
More information is needed to really make sense of the CR numbers. Testing conditions, comparable meters, panel types, etc. CR numbers can be questionable for the reason I gave above. Do the ratings indicate how the CR's were derived? They are close but that's one of the reasons why using CR numbers at times can really be misleading to the point of being useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 761 Old Today, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Are the RSVP invitations out for your grand opening ceremony, I checked my mail and it appears mine is still with the carrier.
jetman2 likes this.
post #753 of 761 Old Today, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Since I asked here I thought I should post a follow up. I inquired about the panel on the 75" 8550 and through the parts listing it appeared that only the TS01 panel was available. Purchased one through Cleveland Plasma and received it in a couple of days Version TS01
Awesome picture and clarity to my untrained eyes
post #754 of 761 Old Today, 12:08 PM

Liked: 11
maybe someone can answer, as i'm not sure really want to search for exactly and my attempts to google the issue bring up nothing...

bought 3 32" JVC EM32FL tvs for my office (2 for computer 1 for tv). as i sit relatively close to the monitor and shift my head side to side, the opposite edges of the screen (right side if i slide my head to the left) start fading away about 5 to 10 pixels in.... what on earth is this effect?

ok so i got a good price on those panels but now was thinking "you get what you pay for"

hell my 6 year old samsung LN32A550 has a perfect flat image side to side

anyways i go back to the store and look at the samsung UN32H5500 (all had version TS01 panel) i originally had my eyes on and low and behold it does the same thing! actually every single 32" 1080p tv that i tested (via usb stick images) that was on the floor at bestbuy had this exact same issue/effect.

what is the panel technology that is causing this? I'm sure it's not noticable when using this as a tv from a few feet away but are led tvs now not a good idea for a computer monitor?

i think i'm going to have to buy actual pc monitors this time around.
Woobieizer likes this.
post #755 of 761 Old Today, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Off-axis viewing, and it is dependent on the type of panel used. Some have better off-axis viewing than others. It's the nature of the particular panel technology.
post #756 of 761 Old Today, 02:21 PM

i realize colors can wash out but i've never seen this behavior where the edges of the screen fade to nothing.

is there a certain panel type i should be looking at that remains visible from all angles even if some color fades?
post #757 of 761 Old Today, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an LG with the S-IPS panel. The off-axis viewing is excellent up to a point. But that point is so extreme in our viewing environment as to not be an issue. However, the blacks on an S-IPS panel are not quite as good as other panel types so you pick your poison. My LG is calibrated and I use a bias light so to minimize the loss of the blacks so that has worked out quite well for us.
post #758 of 761 Old Today, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcelon969 View Post
i realize colors can wash out but i've never seen this behavior where the edges of the screen fade to nothing.

is there a certain panel type i should be looking at that remains visible from all angles even if some color fades?
What ottopilot said ^^^^^^

LGD S - IPS panels 42" and above on LG sets *some other sets * use LGD IPS panels also .
one of the sets here is a 2013 LG 42" pretty good set it is this one > LG 42LN5300 they can be had at Amazon /Best Buy and Newegg and a few other places for $319.00 thats a steal it usually goes for ~$450.00 or more

AFAIK most 32" TV are VA panels including LG . VA panels vary by view angle most are poor at that and none are as good as S-IPS . AFAIK there are no 32" TV with IPS panel maybe a Panasonic but doubtful.

You don't want to pay at least a grand for a 30" IPS PC monitor when you can get a 42" LG TV for $319.00 .

I wouldn't even think about it too long if I wanted that size I would just buy one while I still could .
I already have 6 sets though with the oldest being a 2012 but if I needed another 42 I would buy one of those LG like I already have for a lot less than I paid for mine. ! My calibrated 2013 40" R4 Sony has a better picture but it should for what it costs (poor view angle and all ) but The LG is still pretty darn good and if you cam get one for $319.00 its excellent and then some and a reputable brand .

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 05:32 PM.
post #759 of 761 Old Today, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcelon969 View Post
i think i'm going to have to buy actual pc monitors this time around.
I've been using a Westinghouse 47' IPS since 2007 as the main PC.. only PC monitor. If you can find this pixel structure in the size that fits your needs your in.

I'm impressed by your USB stick with pictures to test at BB. That I won't forget.

post #760 of 761 Old Today, 06:36 PM

let me explain my issue better.

i'm looking to do 3 side by side 32" screens (2 monitor 1 tv). 1920x1080. anything bigger will be too much screen for my desk and i need 1920x1080 since i'm running off a laptop dock and it will not support anything more than that on either display output.

my old samsung LN32A550 from 2009 (1080p) looks just like a laptop screen, if that explains it. i can be as close as i want or on whatever angle i want and i see the entire image, regardless if the colors fade or wash out a bit.

When i sit in front of any of these current 32" models out (samsung / lg / jvc / sharp) and i'm at "monitor viewing distance" the edges of the screen start to disappear. right now i'm probably 18" from my screen and the scroll bar in Chrome on the right side is only halfway visible, until i shift my head over to the right. (the left side has the same deal but there isnt anything over there of note right now)

i'm coming from a 2009 screen so anything will likely be better. ips vs tn vs whatever... i read up on it a little but in the end i'm not doing gaming. this is for a workstation. i just need a screen that doesnt want to disappear on me.

are tvs these days all made like this? do i have to resort to an actual computer monitor at this point? if so i can really only go 27" due to price

hopefully that explains it better. this was just a big surprise to me as at this point i'd rather (not gonna happen) just find 2 more of those old 32LNA550s lol
post #761 of 761 Old Today, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

The three of us are all in concert here that for the least amount of off axis bleed you need to focus on a panel that has IPS.. the chevron shaped sub pixel.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
<<. , Samsung , Samsung Ln46a850 46 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Samsung Un55c6300 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page