Samsung Panel Version Thread - Page 27 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 25  26  27 28  29  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Samsung Panel Version Thread
Stonedcl's Avatar Stonedcl 11:06 AM 07-16-2014
Questions for you: How much 10bit addressable content do you have? What device do you have that will send it?



I have nothing right now but I bought this TV hoping to keep it for 10 years and when 4k content does come out in a few years and it is in 10bit then it would suck to have a 8bit screen..

Woobieizer's Avatar Woobieizer 11:43 AM 07-16-2014
What's truly going to suck is in 2.5 years you find out you need Displayport on all your devices.
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 11:50 AM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
What's truly going to suck is in 2.5 years you find out you need Displayport on all your devices.
But by that time all devices will be fully HDMI 3.0 compliant
Woobieizer's Avatar Woobieizer 11:51 AM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.techhive.com/article/171223/10_bit_color.html
Home HD video signals (including Blu-ray) use 8-bit color, meaning that for each pixel, the signal contains eight bits for each of the three primary colors, or 24 bits total. Since there are 256 possible 8-bit binary numbers, you get 256 shades each of red, green, and blue. Combine the three together, and you get 16,777,216 possible colors (256 cubed).

That sounds like plenty, and to the naked eye, it is. But subtle differences between those 256 shades, impossible with 8-bit color, can help create depth and a sense of reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by math
If we had 10-bit color, meaning that for each pixel, the signal contains ten bits for each of the three primary colors, or 30 bits total. Since there are 1024 possible 10-bit numbers, you get 1024 shades each of red, green and blue. Combine the three together, and you get 1,073,741,824 possible colors (1024 cubed)
http://www.techhive.com/article/1712...bit_color.html




Color Processing
https://blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad/20...rocessing.html

Attached: 10 bit binary number .gif (802.6 KB)  Color Processing.jpg (104.0 KB) 
Woobieizer's Avatar Woobieizer 11:57 AM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
But by that time all devices will be fully HDMI 3.0 compliant
HDMI is going the way of the DoDo and Plasma
Hisma's Avatar Hisma 12:07 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
What's truly going to suck is in 2.5 years you find out you need Displayport on all your devices.
One connect box takes care of that.
Woobieizer's Avatar Woobieizer 12:19 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
One connect box takes care of that.
If that be true:
Wouldn't it be interesting to know if it is the inclusion of this "One Connect" device, that determines which cell is assembled into the final product in order to take advantage of bit processing?

Humm???
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 03:01 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
One connect box takes care of that.
If you can get one without firmware update issues and the myriad of other problems that the "beta testers" for the OneConnect box are seeing. Besides, the port is proprietary so you are stuck with Samsung forever unless you change mfrs. And, there's no guarantee that the OneConnect box will be a one-time purchase.
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 03:02 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
HDMI is going the way of the DoDo and Plasma
One hopes, but HDMI.org seems to have the industry by its collective balls so we'll see.
rlb's Avatar rlb 06:29 AM 07-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
If you can get one without firmware update issues and the myriad of other problems that the "beta testers" for the OneConnect box are seeing. Besides, the port is proprietary so you are stuck with Samsung forever unless you change mfrs. And, there's no guarantee that the OneConnect box will be a one-time purchase.

For U.S. owners, firmware issues were basically solved around 3 weeks ago. Only widespread problem at this time is the Netflix app which is outputting only stereo and no "5.1" (both Samsung and Netflix are aware of the issue and a fix is expected soon). Of course you can find examples of problems; but that's the case with any thread on this forum.


Regarding "no guarantee that the One Connect box will be a one-time purchase", how many things do you buy with a "guarantee" that you will never purchase a replacement? Not to mention, the strategy for the One Connect is that it gives owners the option of upgrading any year they feel changes/upgrades are worth the cost (e.g., if Displayport did become the standard for connecting 4K players--won't happen but it is only an example). I personally like the option of a $400 upgrade vice the alternative of buying another $3k-$4k display.
akarma's Avatar akarma 07:56 AM 07-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
Just wanted to share some Random non specific shots to get yelled at for doing it.
No issue doing this at my Local Walmart, the MOD (Manager on Duty) was intrigued.
- Vizio - IPS
- Samsung - Sharp
- LG - IPS
- Well don't know to say honestly
assm0de's Avatar assm0de 10:07 PM 07-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
Questions for you: How much 10bit addressable content do you have? What device do you have that will send it?

I have nothing right now but I bought this TV hoping to keep it for 10 years and when 4k content does come out in a few years and it is in 10bit then it would suck to have a 8bit screen..

Based on my experience with AMD GPU 10-bit LUT transformations, you can create much smoother gradients if you take an 8bit signal and convert it to 10bit. Because you can use techniques such as dithering of an 8-bit signal into 10-bit to smoothen gradients.

I suspect that a lot of panels are doing this already.
Dogway's Avatar Dogway 02:58 AM 07-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by darklostsoul IXBT translated
conclusion from the information which he received:
1 - maybe a-mva (met several opinions that 61 ** do not put s-pva)
2 and 6th - psa s-pva (judging by TH01 in 6100) ...
3 4 5 7 and 8 are likely to s-pva
9 - no idea
10 - s-pva? (especially surprised by the level of black, beside him stood three Samsa 6100 6200 6400 compared with him .... heaven and earth, even under considerable light store)
11 - psa a-mva
For me that's very strange, what's nÂș 1 so different in respect to s-pva (3,4,5,7 and 8)?
Also another thing to note 2 and 6 (marked as psa s-pva) are different, or either one of the photos is upside down, you can see clearly that one part of the pixel is larger than the other.
It would be nice to know the main differences between s-mva and s-pva, which look pretty much identical to judge by the images.

Here an interesting note:
Quote:
And it's probably not P-MVA, as that seems to have a "six segment" design whereas yours (s-pva) has a "four segment" design.

-A good page about this is this, although it doesn't answer much of the questions we might be interested on.
-More images here. The mva (s-mva?) looks like nothing compared to the s-pva (v shaped). And it contradicts with the above link, check again on the section called 2004: PSA: Created by Fujitsu, Adopted by Samsung, AU Optronics (VA Family) the second image. No wonder people don't know what to believe!
-Another list. Looks like s-pva has a denser subpixel structure than s-mva.
-And forum ixbt listing many types.

Woobieizer's Avatar Woobieizer 05:15 AM 07-21-2014
DOG!!! After a pot of coffee I still find the above to be just too disparate.

............SO................
im going to take a nap
YouTube (Short URL)

Dogway's Avatar Dogway 05:22 AM 07-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
DOG!!! After a pot of coffee I still find the above to be just too disparate.

............SO................
im going to take a nap
http://youtu.be/y6ecS8uf7k0
I hate catzzzz in the internetzzzz, uhps if itzzz a rabbitzzz!

PD: put the alarm lol
Gradius2's Avatar Gradius2 02:42 AM 07-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
But by that time all devices will be fully HDMI 3.0 compliant
HDMI is what SATAN asked for and everybody (on big industry) PLEASED him with it !
JonyB 04:50 PM 07-23-2014
Hey guys
Just been checking out samsung 8550 here in Australia
The one that I thoroughly tested in a shop had the panel IS02 which had verticle banding (wasn't impressed)

I since then have been to ten different shops and every single 65inch 8550 has the same model or version number

I don't want to buy one unless I can get a ts01 or th01 from what I've heard

Is this correct or are there a few other panel codes that r also good?

Thanks for anyone's help
sikclown's Avatar sikclown 05:15 PM 07-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonyB View Post
Hey guys
Just been checking out samsung 8550 here in Australia
The one that I thoroughly tested in a shop had the panel IS02 which had verticle banding (wasn't impressed)

I since then have been to ten different shops and every single 65inch 8550 has the same model or version number

I don't want to buy one unless I can get a ts01 or th01 from what I've heard

Is this correct or are there a few other panel codes that r also good?

Thanks for anyone's help
I think the TS01 is the only one you want in the 65".
Gradius2's Avatar Gradius2 06:02 PM 07-23-2014
How did you know/see it was a IS02 panel? Is labeled behind the TV?
JonyB 07:11 PM 07-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
I think the TS01 is the only one you want in the 65".

Thanks sikclown

So only ts01
Not even th01?

And let's just say no one in Australia that I can find has ts01 which panel should I settle for ?

Thanks again
JonyB 07:12 PM 07-23-2014
Yes gradius2

I look at the back of the TVs in the shop opposite side to the inputs
Normally on a silver plate of some kind
And it says it next to "version number"
sikclown's Avatar sikclown 11:22 AM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonyB View Post
Thanks sikclown

So only ts01
Not even th01?

And let's just say no one in Australia that I can find has ts01 which panel should I settle for ?

Thanks again
Well I am basing that on the fact that Samsungparts.com only has parts/replacement screen for the TS01. This could be a US only thing but that tells me that Samsung only makes the screen on the TS01. I could be complete off-base on that by the way; it just seems to ring true across every model I look up.
Citivas's Avatar Citivas 11:29 AM 07-24-2014
I am trying to get more info on the panel or the 85" HU8550.

The version # is TD01

What does that tell us? Seems like the same panel version used for a other Samsung panels of smaller sizes and model types.

Allegedly Samsung is saying this panel is "direct-lit" not "edge lit." Does the panel ID answer that claim or not?

Also, any way to know if this is an 8-bit or 10-bit panel?

Thanks.
sikclown's Avatar sikclown 12:07 PM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
I am trying to get more info on the panel or the 85" HU8550.

The version # is TD01

What does that tell us? Seems like the same panel version used for a other Samsung panels of smaller sizes and model types.

Allegedly Samsung is saying this panel is "direct-lit" not "edge lit." Does the panel ID answer that claim or not?

Also, any way to know if this is an 8-bit or 10-bit panel?

Thanks.
Look at us in the right thread! After comparing all the models dimensions they are all 1.4-1.5 inches thick. The 85" increases to 2.7" which is a pretty huge jump , which could be explained by being direct-lit versus edge lit. I read that the only real downside to FALD or Direct-lit (semantics right? ) is the increased weight and thickness (well and the cost).
ltownsend's Avatar ltownsend 11:38 AM 08-03-2014
OK - I have been reading this forum and trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on the Sammy UN78HU9000 from ECTV. I spoke to Steve who was real nice and informative and who pointed me to research Panel Lottery. I knew nothing about this. They are recommending the TS01 panel which they claim is Sammy mfg. and will be a better picture.

Can anyone verify??? Of course it is more money - and I am willing to get it if this forum thinks collectively that it is worth additional dollars.

Please advise all comments are appreciated ....
skioutwest's Avatar skioutwest 11:48 AM 08-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post
OK - I have been reading this forum and trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on the Sammy UN78HU9000 from ECTV. I spoke to Steve who was real nice and informative and who pointed me to research Panel Lottery. I knew nothing about this. They are recommending the TS01 panel which they claim is Sammy mfg. and will be a better picture.

Can anyone verify??? Of course it is more money - and I am willing to get it if this forum thinks collectively that it is worth additional dollars.

Please advise all comments are appreciated ....


ltownsend:


I got a call from Steve too today...I am researching this as well. I got the UN65HU8550
ltownsend's Avatar ltownsend 01:41 PM 08-03-2014
skioutwest

Pls share what you find!
ltownsend's Avatar ltownsend 01:56 PM 08-03-2014
I just found this on CNET:


Samsung forum: Samsung Panel Lottery
by: teeth4u May 23, 2014 2:40 PM PDT
Share
rss
Like this 1 person likes this thread
Samsung Panel Lottery
by teeth4u - 5/23/14 2:40 PM
Hey guys,
I just purchased a brand new Samsung UN65H6350 from Amazon.com. I had looked at this set at BB, Sears and Costo. This set at BB looked fantastic!. Costco looked very good and Sears looked alright. To my horror I found out that Samsung outsources panels to three companies. Sharp, AU Optronics and Chi Mei Optoelectronics. They state all meet the minimum specs for their sets. All use different panel technology and pixel structure. The set I bought looks nothing like the sets at BB, Costco but in line with Sears. I took my trusty Samsung remote to each location and changed the settings to match my own and still the same conclusion. Checked the versions on the back sticker and behold BB display had a Samsung panel, Costco had a Sharp and Sears had my panel, a AU Optronics panel. AU Optronics and Chi Mei are from Taiwan. Called Samsung and they did not deny that outsource their panels but since the tv works that they could not help me. They did say they would pass on my concerns to the upper management team. Called Amazon to see if they could pull a TS01, TH01 or a TH02 version from their warehouse. Of course they could not. I talked to a industry expert yesterday and he told me that Samsung sends only sets with Samsung panels to raters and also all of the set displayed at CNET have Samsung panels inside of them. What does that tell you? This is my third Samsung tv and I am not happy. After researching my other sets, they had Samsung panels and both blow away my new set. I had no idea they did this. I would not have purchased this set from Amazon but would have gone to a local retailer and find one with a Samsung panel. Sending back the set to Amazon.
skioutwest's Avatar skioutwest 08:10 PM 08-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post
skioutwest

Pls share what you find!


ltownsend:


Send me an email at skioutwest@yahoo.com


-Mark
ltownsend's Avatar ltownsend 10:57 AM 08-09-2014
Update:

Received invoice from customer service within 24 hrs. Shows order received and confirmed all costs. 8/7

8/8: shows shipping status - shipped by other. Cannot track number provided.

Waiting to see progress. They are closed on Saturdays.

Will call tomorrow - Sunday for update.
Tags: <<. , Samsung , Samsung Ln46a850 46 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Samsung Un55c6300 55 Inch Led Hdtv
First ... 25  26  27 28  29  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop