Samsung Panel Version Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1171 of 1192 Old 01-15-2015, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,
Few days ago I purchase a Samsung UE46H7000 model. The number version is only "03". Anybody could say me what panel is?.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1192 Old 01-15-2015, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all.. just bought a HU7200..

it only comes with a smart touch remote. Have been looking for the sequence to enter the service menu for a few weeks now.
Apparently, this model has DVB-C tuning? Could anyone confirm?
For whatever reason, it's not working in Singapore - it could be region locked..hence, I'm trying to test if changing the country work. Unfortunately of course, the firmware update might be already implemented and locked..but I wanna give it a shot anyway.
post #1173 of 1192 Old 01-15-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 286
That's the quickest way to brick your tv, but it's your tv so good luck.
post #1174 of 1192 Old 01-16-2015, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Here is the ratings for each of the versions that I found online:

TH0x or TS0x: Samsung S-PVA panel (possibly just a PVA, if you're less lucky): This is what you thought you were buying. Best color, best black, best viewing angles.
[/B][/B]
HS0x: Sharp ASV panel: Lower contrast ratio, more narrow viewing angle.[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"] I read HS02 in particular has terrible ghosting.[/COLOR]

A_0X: AOU A-MVA panel: [COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]Even lower contrast ratio[/COLOR].

CH0x or CM0x or CS0x: Chimea S-MVA panel: [COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]You lost the lottery.[/COLOR] Markedly worse in every way - way worse viewing angle, color reproduction, etc. Just a terrible rip-off.

UPDATED 2014 July 17th: Quoting Dawn B. Roy, "Just remember A or M = AU Optronics, T, U, or W = Samsung, and H = Sharp. " I have not followed the comment thread (my apologies), and do not know if the stopped using Chimea panels.
post #1175 of 1192 Old 01-16-2015, 12:49 PM

I just bought the Samsung UN55HU8550 version TH01

THE PANEL TYPES AND PANEL RATINGS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
  1. TH0x or TS0x: Samsung S-PVA panel (possibly just a PVA, if you're less lucky): This is what you thought you were buying. Best color, best black, best viewing angles.
  2. HS0x: Sharp ASV panel: Lower contrast ratio, more narrow viewing angle. I read HS02 in particular has terrible ghosting.
  3. A_0X: AOU A-MVA panel: Even lower contrast ratio.
  4. CH0x or CM0x or CS0x: Chimea S-MVA panel: You lost the lottery. Markedly worse in every way - way worse viewing angle, color reproduction, etc. Just a terrible rip-off.
  5. UPDATED 2014 July 17th: Quoting Dawn B. Roy, "Just remember A or M = AU Optronics, T, U, or W = Samsung, and H = Sharp. " I have not followed the comment thread (my apologies), and do not know if the stopped using Chimea panels

The version of the panel makes all the difference in picture quality. You will pay more for the THOx panels. At some retailers they list two different versions at different prices.
post #1176 of 1192 Old 01-16-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsandler View Post

The version of the panel makes all the difference in picture quality. You will pay more for the THOx panels. At some retailers they list two different versions at different prices.
I don't think that's accurate. I've seen different version numbers of the same model at a retailer and they were all the same price. Samsung is very secretive about the panels they use, hence the panel lottery, and most retailers haven't a clue as to what the version numbers mean. So it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint that there would be different prices based on the panel type. Color and black levels are very good on S-PVA panels but off-axis viewing can be horrendous.
post #1177 of 1192 Old 01-16-2015, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
As one can see from the date of the previous post - updated back in July of last year - these panel types do not comprise the entire current population. As posted previously, my version is QH03 - UN50HU8550FXZA, manufactured 12/1/2014, purchased from Samsung out of Jonestown, PA.

A check of Samsungparts.com shows:

IH01: 316 total available parts - panel - BN95-01373A, $836.60, specification "CY-KH050FSNV1V,10 BIT,50, "supported models "UN50HU8550F"
IH02: 254 total available parts - also panel, also BN95-01373A - same as IH01.
QH03: 255 total available parts - my version - panel BN95-01373B, $774.42, specification "CY-KH050FSNV2V/H,HU8500,PRODUCT LCD-INX" supported models "UN50HU8550F"

So those of us "lucky" enough to have the latest and "greatest" directly from the manufacturer get the newer, cheaper panel of unspecificed bit depth.

UPDATE: A call to Samsung parts failed to shed additional light on this - "It's an LCD screen - that's all we can tell you..." Brilliant, thanks!

Last edited by snowgod; 01-16-2015 at 05:15 PM. Reason: updated info
post #1178 of 1192 Old 01-16-2015, 05:19 PM

Abes of Maine shows different prices for the UHD HU9000Series Part # FXZA

$1875 and $3999

Why is that? It is because they ship different panels

Product Image - 55 Class (54.6 Diag.) UHD HU9000 Series TV
Samsung
55 Class (54.6 Diag.) UHD HU9000 Series TV
Samsungs new 55" Ultra HD 4K will have you immersed in a upscale UHD picture experience. With a new curved panel and a motion rate of 1440 youll be getting the clearest fastest picture, with much more to offer this ULTA HD TV will have you hooked on.
Special Offer Available

Related Searches: Un55hu9000fxza | Ssun55hu9000 | Hu9000
SKU#: SSUN55HU9000
Part#: UN55HU9000FXZA
Free Shipping!
Availability:Available
Abe's Price: $1875.00
Add to Cart
Product Image - 55 Class (54.6 Diag.) UHD HU9000 Series TV - USA
Samsung
55 Class (54.6 Diag.) UHD HU9000 Series TV - USA
Samsungs new 55" Ultra HD 4K will have you immersed in a upscale UHD picture experience. With a new curved panel and a motion rate of 1440 youll be getting the clearest fastest picture, with much more to offer this ULTA HD TV will have you hooked on.
Special Offer Available
__________________________________________________ ________________
Related Searches: Un55hu9000fxza | 55hu9000 | Hu9000
SKU#: SSUN55HU9000U
Part#: UN55HU9000FXZA
Free Shipping!
Availability:Available
Abe's Price: $3999.99
Add to Cart
post #1179 of 1192 Old 01-16-2015, 05:30 PM

Another example of pricing differences with different panels found at Niceelectronics.com

Samsung UN60HU8550 60-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED HDTV-FULLY INSURED DELIVERY-USA RETAIL MODEL- AU-
THIS PRODUCT THAT YOU ARE VIEWING IS BRAND NEW UNOPENED RETAIL SAMSUNG PACKAGE AND COMES COMPLETE WITH ALL THE STANDARD ACCESSORIES LISTED ON THE MANUFACTURERS WEBSITE: SHOP WITH CONFIDENCE: NICE WILL HONOR A LOWER PRICE GIVEN FROM ANY ONLIN SKU: UN60HU8550
UPC: 0 Free Shipping Availability: Available Price: $ 2,269.00

Samsung UN60HU8550 60-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED HDTV-FULLY INSURED DELIVERY-USA RETAIL MODEL- SAMSUNG PANEL HS

SKU: UN60HU8550
UPC: 0 Free Shipping Availability: Available Price: $ 2,999.00
Samsung UN85HU8550 85-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV- SAMSUNG USA PANEL TD01- COLUMBUS DAY SPECIAL EXPIRES 10-07-2014
Refresh Rate: 120Hz (Native); Clear Motion Rate 1200 (Effective)Backlight: LED (Edge-Lit)Smart Functionality: Yes - Motion and Voice Control with Camera Accessory (sold separately)Dimensions (W x H x D): TV without stand : 74.9" x 42.9" x 2.7", T ...
post #1180 of 1192 Old 01-16-2015, 05:36 PM

The above example shows that you can buy and get a specific better panel if you pay the price difference. I agree that most retailers either do not understand these differences or just keep it to themselves. You should not go into a situation not knowing which panel you will receive. Nick at Niceelectronics ( I am not affiliated with them) took about 20 minutes to explain the differences in the panel quality. He is a good resource. Call and talk to him to get the right story here.
post #1181 of 1192 Old 01-16-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

@bsandler - believe what you want but we purchased a Samsung in October 2014 from a local retailer for the bedroom. We went thru the stack of models (all the exact same model) until I found one with a TH01 version number. The pricing was the same. Maybe it's different for the higher end, bigger models. Who knows? I certainly wouldn't use the price as a panel verification. Just do a loupe test and compare to known pixel patterns as best as you can. It doesn't make a difference anyway if you're satisfied with the pq and performance because every panel is going to perform a little differently from another one of the same version or price/size.
post #1182 of 1192 Old 01-16-2015, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

1. TH0x or TS0x: Samsung S-PVA panel (possibly just a PVA, if you're less lucky): This is what you thought you were buying. Best color, best black, best viewing angles.
  2. HS0x: Sharp ASV panel: Lower contrast ratio, more narrow viewing angle. I read HS02 in particular has terrible ghosting.
  4. CH0x or CM0x or CS0x: Chimea S-MVA panel: You lost the lottery. Markedly worse in every way - way worse viewing angle, color reproduction, etc. Just a terrible rip-off.
  5. UPDATED 2014 July 17th: Quoting Dawn B. Roy, "Just remember A or M = AU Optronics, T, U, or W = Samsung, and H = Sharp. " I have not followed the comment thread (my apologies), and do not know if the stopped using Chimea panels

It's just those 'less-than-reputable' LOW BALL Sellers who advertise a 'too-good-to-be-true' price and then after they get you on their hook with an order, will need to up-sell you to a higher price.

They will even do this with models like the Samsung Flagship UNHU9000 which has only ever been manufactured with Samsung panels. They will also have a myriad of other lies & tricks up their sleeve to bump your price beyond what you might have paid an honest Dealer.

There have been reoprts from people who have persevered and actually been delivered something close to what was advertised. Often this has followed their posting a negative review followed by the seller offering a price as a bribe to revise their 'one-star' review up to 'five-stars'. Check the number of revised reviews online.

There is nothing wrong (even in Samsung's opinion) with a Dealer selling a TV at a price well below the Samsung Mandated "Advertised" price.

There are many very reputable Dealers including those Dealers who sponsor this AVS site who will sell you a new Samsung at a price very likely below those dis-reputable sellers treading on peoples fears about "the Panel Lottery issue".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I don't think that's accurate. I've seen different version numbers of the same model at a retailer and they were all the same price. Samsung is very secretive about the panels they use, hence the panel lottery, and most retailers haven't a clue as to what the version numbers mean. So it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint that there would be different prices based on the panel type. Color and black levels are very good on S-PVA panels but off-axis viewing can be horrendous.
It boils down to just the production date to determine which panel you might get. Samsung would not simultaneously manufacture a model with two different brand panels (or chipsets or whatever).

Of course, shortly after there has been a change, there may very likely be a choice available within a dealers stock and here is where it is so lucky to have sources like this to help you de-code that label on the outside of the box and tell you what you're getting.

On the other hand, for online ordering, you are likely to just get the next box that comes up in the shipping warehouse.

If you follow the AVS Samsung 8550/9000 Thread, you will see that the owners of the 8550's with non-Samsung brand panels are quite pleased with them on the whole. It looks like a great many of the Panel 'issues' are very likely related to the handling of the box and care in transportation and setup, rather than defects in manufacturing or panel brands.

If it's really important for you to have a version that has been out-of-production for some time, your best option would be to get a dealer to sell you a 'display model'. This is a good choice at a lower cost, but likely very fault-free. With the other choice of an "Open-Box" bargain; I would wonder why it was returned in the first place.
Art

Edit:- Niceelectronics.com BBB Report and "Reputable dealer? or scam?".

"...The 7 day defective exchange policy does not apply to TVs 37" and larger, any oversized product(s) shipped via our motor freight company (not UPS/FedEx), appliances or receivers. If any of these items are deemed defective, they will be covered exclusively by the manufacturers’ warranties, and you must contact the manufacturer for any repairs....
Cancellations
**Please note** Once an order is billed, Nice Electronics reserves the right to charge a processing fee that varies depending on the type of card used (if cancelled). For Visa/Mastercard/Discover, there is a 2.5% processing fee. For American Express there is a 3.5% processing fee. For PayPal orders there is a 3.0% processing fee. Those amounts will be deducted from your refund.

If you wish to cancel your order and you have not yet received your delivery, you may do so after obtaining a Return Authorization Number. To obtain a Return Authorization Number, you must contact Customer Service at -1-718-215-NICE (6423). Returns without RA#s will not be accepted. You will be credited the full amount of the original transaction, less all shipping & handling charges to and from the customer's delivery address. An additional 15% restocking fee will apply. ..."

UN50HU8550's have, until recently all been reported to have non-Samsung Panels (Innolux) and the owners love them. This "QH03" version Manufactured in December 2014 has not yet been identified as to details.

It has been reported that Samsung does not manufacture Any 60" panels at all.

I once bought an expensive ($800+) VCR from a New York mail-order (long before internet) and they turned me in to the Florida Department of Revenue and I got a bill for unpaid sales tax + interest and penalties. Fortunately I had documentation that I had searched Florida Zenith Dealers all the way to Jacksonville for this burglary insurance replacement and got the penalty waived.
Gmash likes this.

Samsung UN55HU8550F TH01, Sony KDL-40WL135, Sony KDL-32EX520, Sony BDP-BX510 (BD), Panasonic DMR-EZ48V (DVD/VCR) Pioneer VSX-44 (AVR/ARC)+B&W ASW608 SubWoofer

Last edited by pilotart; 01-16-2015 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Correction in line with snowgod's post (below).
post #1183 of 1192 Old 01-16-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post

UN60HU8550's have, until recently all been reported to have non-Samsung Panels (Innolux) and the owners love them. This "QH03" version Manufactured in December 2014 has not yet been identified as to details. It has been reported that Samsung does not manufacture Any 60" panels though.
Just to clarify - my "QH03" - which to date is the only one mentioned on either thread - is of the 50" variety - UN50HU8550FXZA - purchased directly from Samsung.
pilotart likes this.
post #1184 of 1192 Old 01-17-2015, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgod View Post
Just to clarify - my "QH03" - which to date is the only one mentioned on either thread - is of the 50" variety - UN50HU8550FXZA - purchased directly from Samsung.
I think it's safe to assume the INX part of the panelcode you looked up for QH03 stands for Innolux ...
Regarding the pricing differences: in Europe absolutely no disctinction is made. The US pricing must be determinded by buyer demand/preference since finding out how to determine the panel and the myths regarding quality of non-Samsung panels ...
post #1185 of 1192 Old 01-17-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post
I think it's safe to assume the INX part of the panelcode you looked up for QH03 stands for Innolux ...
Well done mate! Sounds quite reasonable indeed, and would account for the price difference - "generic" vs brand.

Quite lively, if sparse, discussion of this in the "OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000" thread, with some blaming the various issues (flashlighting) on this panel, while it appears most others declare them to be at the very least absolutely satisfactory, if not quite good.

Time will tell I guess - using a DTV source set to native, 720P images are problematic - macroblocking in dark parts of the image usually at the screen edges, faces - angles especially are rather rough, even a quite severe moire pattern over the macroblocking on one particular black to dark brown image. 1080i though converts clean, blacks are perfect, and since the issues are not consistent, and 1080P images upconverted by the blu-ray player (Oppo BDP-103) look exceptional, I suppose these are issues with the source, not the panel itself.

I know Samsung had massive stock issues due to Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales - mine was back ordered for almost a month. I reckon they snatched whatever panels they could (since their own inventory was clearly exhausted) in order to satisfy orders...

Last edited by snowgod; 01-17-2015 at 12:08 PM.
post #1186 of 1192 Old 01-20-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
It's just those 'less-than-reputable' LOW BALL Sellers who advertise a 'too-good-to-be-true' price and then after they get you on their hook with an order, will need to up-sell you to a higher price.

They will even do this with models like the Samsung Flagship UNHU9000 which has only ever been manufactured with Samsung panels. They will also have a myriad of other lies & tricks up their sleeve to bump your price beyond what you might have paid an honest Dealer.

There have been reoprts from people who have persevered and actually been delivered something close to what was advertised. Often this has followed their posting a negative review followed by the seller offering a price as a bribe to revise their 'one-star' review up to 'five-stars'. Check the number of revised reviews online.

There is nothing wrong (even in Samsung's opinion) with a Dealer selling a TV at a price well below the Samsung Mandated "Advertised" price.

There are many very reputable Dealers including those Dealers who sponsor this AVS site who will sell you a new Samsung at a price very likely below those dis-reputable sellers treading on peoples fears about "the Panel Lottery issue".

It boils down to just the production date to determine which panel you might get. Samsung would not simultaneously manufacture a model with two different brand panels (or chipsets or whatever).

Of course, shortly after there has been a change, there may very likely be a choice available within a dealers stock and here is where it is so lucky to have sources like this to help you de-code that label on the outside of the box and tell you what you're getting.

On the other hand, for online ordering, you are likely to just get the next box that comes up in the shipping warehouse.

If you follow the AVS Samsung 8550/9000 Thread, you will see that the owners of the 8550's with non-Samsung brand panels are quite pleased with them on the whole. It looks like a great many of the Panel 'issues' are very likely related to the handling of the box and care in transportation and setup, rather than defects in manufacturing or panel brands.

If it's really important for you to have a version that has been out-of-production for some time, your best option would be to get a dealer to sell you a 'display model'. This is a good choice at a lower cost, but likely very fault-free. With the other choice of an "Open-Box" bargain; I would wonder why it was returned in the first place.
Art

Edit:- Niceelectronics.com BBB Report and "Reputable dealer? or scam?".

"...The 7 day defective exchange policy does not apply to TVs 37" and larger, any oversized product(s) shipped via our motor freight company (not UPS/FedEx), appliances or receivers. If any of these items are deemed defective, they will be covered exclusively by the manufacturers’ warranties, and you must contact the manufacturer for any repairs....
Cancellations
**Please note** Once an order is billed, Nice Electronics reserves the right to charge a processing fee that varies depending on the type of card used (if cancelled). For Visa/Mastercard/Discover, there is a 2.5% processing fee. For American Express there is a 3.5% processing fee. For PayPal orders there is a 3.0% processing fee. Those amounts will be deducted from your refund.

If you wish to cancel your order and you have not yet received your delivery, you may do so after obtaining a Return Authorization Number. To obtain a Return Authorization Number, you must contact Customer Service at -1-718-215-NICE (6423). Returns without RA#s will not be accepted. You will be credited the full amount of the original transaction, less all shipping & handling charges to and from the customer's delivery address. An additional 15% restocking fee will apply. ..."

UN50HU8550's have, until recently all been reported to have non-Samsung Panels (Innolux) and the owners love them. This "QH03" version Manufactured in December 2014 has not yet been identified as to details.

It has been reported that Samsung does not manufacture Any 60" panels at all.

I once bought an expensive ($800+) VCR from a New York mail-order (long before internet) and they turned me in to the Florida Department of Revenue and I got a bill for unpaid sales tax + interest and penalties. Fortunately I had documentation that I had searched Florida Zenith Dealers all the way to Jacksonville for this burglary insurance replacement and got the penalty waived.
On the H6400 and H6350 all 60" are Sharp panels. All 65" have AUO panels. 50" sets have either a AUO panel or a Samsung panel. All other sizes have Samsung panels. This has been consistent from the release. That is my beef with the whole outsourcing issue. It is not a lottery at all. You can go to Samsungparts.com and determine exactly what panels are in each model and size.
post #1187 of 1192 Old 01-20-2015, 08:14 PM

Unhappy BEWARE: UN65HU8550 with CMO / Innolux panel :-(

I recently bought a Samsung 65' UA65HU8500W UHD TV for more than $ 3,300 from a large local (Australian) retailer. (This model is the same as the US version UN65HU8550)

When looking up the best calibration settings to adjust the TV to its best appearance in our bright living room, I realised that the TV's serial code indicates that it has a NON SAMSUNG panel. The TV is "made in Mexico" and has version "IS02"...indicating that this is a third tier Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO) / Innolux Taiwanese manufacturer. (The LCD code from the technician's service menu also confirms this 65D1UU8EH, the "D" indicating a non Samsung, CMO manufactured panel.)

Despite calibration, the daytime brightness is insufficient, black levels are non-satisfactory and viewing angle (off axis) is very limited for this panel. (tested with 4K calibration content).
All this in one of Samsung's 'top of the line' UHD TV's. :-(

There is also evidence that Samsung sends only Samsung Panels to testers / reviewers...and Samsung being well aware of the inferior performance of outsourced, third party manufacturers. I've relied on these tests / reviews to pick this model over the competitors.
According to online sources, this CMO panel utilises a different LCD screen technology.

I then called Samsung "premium service", they sent a technician who spent all of 5 minutes taking screenshots of the service menu, suggesting "Samsung will call me". After I've called 5 times over the last two weeks, a Samsung case manager finally called me yesterday and said "TV is performing to Australian standards" and there is no fault, no refund, no exchange. He admitted that Samsung is outsourcing panels.

I mentioned that this is not acceptable....when I buy a BMW I don't expect a Hyundai engine under the hood....! These panels can be found in $ 1000 cheaper TV's... and I'm not happy with this purchase!

What would you do?
post #1188 of 1192 Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Do keep in mind that using someone else's settings will not calibrate your tv and what you may be seeing is just the tolerance differences between components of the two tv's. I would suggest using a calibration disk to at least adjust the basic settings of your tv before you write it off to a bad panel. At best, adjusting your tv with a calibration disk will only be an adjustment, not a calibration, but that may be all you need to dial in your tv for it's component tolerances and viewing environment.

The underlying technology of LCD panels is the same, how the pixels are arranged is the major difference. TV specs will be different for the different regions.
post #1189 of 1192 Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variateur View Post
<snip>
There is also evidence that Samsung sends only Samsung Panels to testers / reviewers...and Samsung being well aware of the inferior performance of outsourced, third party manufacturers. I've relied on these tests / reviews to pick this model over the competitors.
<snip>
I mentioned that this is not acceptable....when I buy a BMW I don't expect a Hyundai engine under the hood....! These panels can be found in $ 1000 cheaper TV's... and I'm not happy with this purchase!

What would you do?
The most relied on review on this board has been the c|net one:

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-un60hu8550/?tag=posts%3Bmsg5628519

This was done on an Innolux Panel which according to reports on
OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread
has been very much loved by its owners.

It is true that Samsung did change the panels on the 65" in September to the TS02 (same Samsung panel, but different chipset and Flash Memory) and then to your version (Innolux) in November. As I posted above, you could no doubt pay a lower price and get your Samsung panel version with a display model or a refurbished model if you wanted. It is most likely that a good calibration will make you happy though.

It has been known that Samsung and most other TV manufacturers 'outsource' various brands of panels for many of their TV's over the past many years.

It came as a big shock to many buyers over thirty years ago after buying a Cadillac and discovering it had a Chevrolet engine....

My 'BMW' owned, English Manufactured MINI Cooper came with an engine from France and a Transmission from Japan, I was aware (and it was stated in the 'Window' Invoice) of this before purchase and have never had any problem with it at all.

Whenever contemplating spending thousands for a purchase of an Auto or High-End TV, it is worthwhile to do your homework ahead of time to avoid unpleasant surprises. The information you seek is usually available, although I have no idea if Samsung places Version ID Tags on their Australian TV boxes.

Samsung UN55HU8550F TH01, Sony KDL-40WL135, Sony KDL-32EX520, Sony BDP-BX510 (BD), Panasonic DMR-EZ48V (DVD/VCR) Pioneer VSX-44 (AVR/ARC)+B&W ASW608 SubWoofer
post #1190 of 1192 Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Another data point for the list...

TV INFO

Model: UN46EH5000FXZA
Made in: Mexico
Version: UD03

Couldn't find a mfr. date on the TV's label.

PANEL INFO

http://www.panelook.com/LSF460HN02-A_SAMSUNG_46_CELL_overview_19463.html

I didn't open the TV, so the panel model # is from Samsung Parts. And the same "UD03" version # was listed on the box. Maybe someone could take a look at the above link and tell me what type of panel this is. The Brand says "Samsung", and the Display Mode says "SVA", which I'm guessin is short for S-PVA.

The panel has better horizontal angle of view than a recent Sony LED I tried, good contrast, very deep blacks, and pretty smooth gradations. Only 60Hz though, so motion is rather blurry, and I'm thinkin I might wanna upgrade to a display with 120Hz refresh rate instead. (The backlight on the TV strobes at either 120HZ or 240Hz though, which helps some.)

Samsung Parts is out of stock on this panel btw.

Thanks to ander and others here for the info on how to look this up.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; Yesterday at 11:38 PM.
post #1191 of 1192 Old Today, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I guess you got that from here: http://fyre.it/evBxTM.4 (CNET comments section)?

Guy can't even spel Chi Mei correctly "Chimea". Chi Mei = Innolux now, hardly losing the lottery (another myth from the stone age of LCD tv's). Sharp ASV was only used in cheap models, hardly relevant for HU8550 (UV²A was much better rated), AUO is Sony's main panel supplier and 4K models and 2014 W8 for example get excellent reviews ...
You should be lucky they have bad reps at the stores, a big discount for free .

Last edited by mithras1; Today at 03:32 AM.
post #1192 of 1192 Unread Today, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variateur View Post
I recently bought a Samsung 65' UA65HU8500W UHD TV for more than $ 3,300 from a large local (Australian) retailer. (This model is the same as the US version UN65HU8550)

When looking up the best calibration settings to adjust the TV to its best appearance in our bright living room, I realised that the TV's serial code indicates that it has a NON SAMSUNG panel. The TV is "made in Mexico" and has version "IS02"...indicating that this is a third tier Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO) / Innolux Taiwanese manufacturer. (The LCD code from the technician's service menu also confirms this 65D1UU8EH, the "D" indicating a non Samsung, CMO manufactured panel.)

Despite calibration, the daytime brightness is insufficient, black levels are non-satisfactory and viewing angle (off axis) is very limited for this panel. (tested with 4K calibration content).
All this in one of Samsung's 'top of the line' UHD TV's. :-(

According to online sources, this CMO panel utilises a different LCD screen technology.

I then called Samsung "premium service", they sent a technician who spent all of 5 minutes taking screenshots of the service menu, suggesting "Samsung will call me". After I've called 5 times over the last two weeks, a Samsung case manager finally called me yesterday and said "TV is performing to Australian standards" and there is no fault, no refund, no exchange. He admitted that Samsung is outsourcing panels.

What would you do?
I feel your pain brother. Depending on where you purchased the set, I would exchange the set for one with version TS01 or TS02. I believe QS04 is also a Innolux panel. If you do let us know your impressions on your new set with the Samsung panel compared to the old set with Innolux.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
<<. , Samsung , Samsung Ln46a850 46 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Samsung Un55c6300 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page