UN-official Panasonic TC-LXXU22 Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2
LCD Flat Panel Displays > UN-official Panasonic TC-LXXU22 Thread
Scallica's Avatar Scallica 07:10 AM 01-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickmind View Post

I believe I read somewhere that the Panasonic 1080P TVs don't run PC mode in 1080P, is that true? I had been considering going with a Panasonic model (likely U22) but this would be a deal-breaker for me since it would be used heavily as a monitor.

False. You have to go into the advanced area of the custom display settings.

Dp1983's Avatar Dp1983 09:02 PM 01-09-2011
PC is vga right? Is it better to use VGA for computer use with Panasonic Tv's? Or can I use hdmi (labeled PC or should I not?) and achieve better quality?
TripDaddy33's Avatar TripDaddy33 06:49 PM 01-11-2011
These are great!

I did make one adjustment after walking through DVE. I changed the brightness from 63 to 56. I'm sure that had to do with the ambient lighting (rather a lack thereof) in my bedroom.

Thanks again. These settings were spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepman View Post

OK, here are the revised settings finally. This time I used the AVS calibration disc, which I liked quite a bit. Similar to DVE in many ways, but easier to navigate. Less time consuming without all the explanations as well.

Backlight: 70
Brightness: 63
Contrast: 90
Color Temp: Warm
Color: 34
Tint: +5
Black Level: light
NR: off
Sharpness: 10
AI: off
CATS: off

I'm happier with this result than my first go around. The colors could be more accurate but not without more advanced color controls. Panasonic is not exactly known for great color decoding anyhow. Its pretty good though, all in all.

zepman's Avatar zepman 02:09 PM 01-12-2011
Thanks Tripdaddy, glad it was helpful and thanks for the confirmation.

Brightness is a bit of a judgement call. It also depends on what you do with the back light. I could see setting brightness in the high 50's somewhere, and it would no doubt improve black levels over what I posted. I do think at those levels though, you are compromising some shadow detail. And of course the room lighting plays a big role as well.

I've actually since tweaked my level down to 61 I think, but also moved the backlight up a bit too.
darkeclypse's Avatar darkeclypse 07:18 PM 01-12-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallica View Post

I am having a strange issue with my TC-L37U22 set.

I have a blu-ray player, cable box, and HTPC (Home Theater PC) connected to each of the three HDMI inputs. My HTPC has HDMI out which carries the sound signal as well. When I am using the input for the HTPC, I can hear Windows generated sounds, but not sound from live tv or recorded shows. I only get sound if I change the audio settings of the input to analog, then back to digital (which is the default). If I switch to another input or power down the tv, I have to do the same thing all over again. Is this a bug in the firmware of the TV?

I'm having the same stupid problem but at the moment i'm only using a ATT Motarola HD cable DVR box. Using a HDMI cable for both vid and sound.. something i've never done in the past as i've always routed my sound to the reciever in the living room but this new tv is setup in the bedroom so no extrenal speakers.

Really stange and i to figured out that i had to change the sound for the HDMI conntection from Digital to something else and then back to digital and it would work.. well the first couple of times.. then the last couple of timemessing with it it didnt fix it.

Figured it was some hand shaking probs so i tried turning on the tv first and then the cable box.. no good.

I did notice that it only seems to happen on some channels.. didnt pay attention enough as i was pissed if it was coming in on non hd stations or what.

Have not tried a different HDMI cable but i do have 2 identical cables.. my only thought was either i'd find some fix here with a firmware upgrade or i'd have to try using a optical cable for my sound.

I will try the PS3 when i get some time tomorrow hopefully and see if it effects that or not.

I should just contact customer support and see if they can figure out anything.
Scallica's Avatar Scallica 05:43 AM 01-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeclypse View Post

I'm having the same stupid problem but at the moment. I should just contact customer support and see if they can figure out anything.

I talked to Panasonic support a few days ago. This is a bug in the firmware. My theory is that it has something to do with Dolby Digital because I do hear Windows noises through the TV via HDMI cable.

I would suggest calling support and demanding a case number. Also, make sure you clearly explain the issue and all troubleshooting steps you've done so far. The first person I spoke to there was very rude and said "there is nothing wrong with our tv" and hung up on me. I then called back and spoke to someone very knowledgeable and understanding.
darkeclypse's Avatar darkeclypse 10:26 AM 01-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallica View Post

I talked to Panasonic support a few days ago. This is a bug in the firmware. My theory is that it has something to do with Dolby Digital because I do hear Windows noises through the TV via HDMI cable.

I would suggest calling support and demanding a case number. Also, make sure you clearly explain the issue and all troubleshooting steps you've done so far. The first person I spoke to there was very rude and said "there is nothing wrong with our tv" and hung up on me. I then called back and spoke to someone very knowledgeable and understanding.

Somewhat fixed it last night..

The prob was that i could hear sound but it was really low.. I'd have to crank the tv volume all the way up to 100 just to hear the sound. So last night the wife was crabbing to me about it so i started to mess around. First tried an optical cable to which i noticed on the back of the tv was just only out and not in.. hehe. Doh. So then i tried using analog audio cables and changed the souce to that and no good the exact same. Then i pulled the HDMI cable and hooked the cable DVR box to the tv by component cables and analog sound cables. Same.. :/

Then did a search for my cable DVR online and found a link for someone compaining about a sound problem with it. Someone responded with info on how to adjust the volume on the cable box itself. Quickly tried that and seem that the cable box has a seperate volume that was turned all the way down to 0 from 24.. set it at 24 and then i could finally hear it!

No idea how that happened in the first place as it seemed to work when i first set the tv up.. so must be some bug with the cable box.

All that and i still have the handshaking prob STILL. If i turn the cable and tv on at the same time using the power button on the remote i'll get 0 sound! THen i'd have to go into the tv menu and change the sound input from digital to something else and then back to digital and then it will work.

The only fix that i've found so far to advoid that is to make sure to turn the cable box on first and then the tv.. if i do it the other way around, NO SOUND!

I have a feeling that if i get ahold of Panasonic custumer support that they will try to blame it on Motarola or the cable company (ATT) and vise versa if i call ATT.

I think it would be easier to just make some changes to the remote to not turn both the tv and cable box on and off at the same time using the power button. Turn them on and off individualy prob would be best.

If i contact custumer support about the prob and they give me some setting to tweak the timing and fix it i'll message back.

Oh, BTW.. the picture settings in the thread did a solid to my picture! Wow what a difference! THANKS!
mc4saints's Avatar mc4saints 05:02 PM 01-16-2011
I own the 32C22. I looked at all the specs and the only differences I could find is the C22 is 720p and one less HDMI. Do you think Zepman's settings will work on this TV. I can't see a reason why not?
zepman's Avatar zepman 08:07 AM 01-24-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4saints View Post

I own the 32C22. I looked at all the specs and the only differences I could find is the C22 is 720p and one less HDMI. Do you think Zepman's settings will work on this TV. I can't see a reason why not?

Try them out and see if you like them. There are many reasons they may not work, or would not be correct. Each model may have different color decoders, different type of LCD panels, etc.

The best way (other than paying a pro to do it) is to calibrate it yourself, it is really pretty easy to do. Buy a calibration DVD or use the one provided for free on the AVS forums.
jwjojo's Avatar jwjojo 12:08 PM 01-24-2011
There are not a lot of 37" TV's to choose from. I am looking at the VizioXVT and the Panny. I could go to 40" with a Samsung as well. It is going to be a bedroom TV as well....if you could do it again, would you go for the Panny?
dman999's Avatar dman999 10:58 PM 02-05-2011
Well, I've own my Panasonic L32U22 for about 8 months now so I thought I'd chime in. The TV I was coming from was some obscure Toshiba HD CRT that had some of the most ridiculous black levels I've ever seen (matching my main-room P50VT25) but failed in almost every other aspect. The L32U22 isn't going to match plasmas or high-end LCDs in picture quality, but it does have probably the nicest picture out of any entry-level LCD I've seen.

The one thing I noticed about this tv is RED. The reds that it produces are are way over-saturated and gave skin tones an orange tint. Tuning down the color setting and moving tint a little away from red fixed this problem.

The calibration method I used was the AVS HD709 disc on my PS3. I used the basic charts to adjust contrast and brightness and then used some of the color-stepping charts to ensure no colors were being clipped. You may notice that my settings are quite a bit higher than others. I think this may be because I set 'black level' to 'dark'. I'm a stickler for deep black and I'll do anything I can to make them deeper. Finally, I set the backlight setting to 0 and raised until until I found the picture brightness suitable. I calibrated it for a dark room so if you plan on using it in a bright room I'd recommend simply raising the blacklight setting.

Here are my settings:
Backlight: 33
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 91
Color: 34
Tint: +4
Sharpness: 5
Color Temp: Warm
AI Picture: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Black level: Dark

These settings won't grab your eye with bright, bold colors, but they will give you a really natural picture.

The 'custom' picture setting is independent for each input, so I've tweaked these base settings a few for other inputs. For use as a computer monitor I use these settings.

Backlight: 60
Contrast 78
Brightness: 91
Color: 37
Tint: +4
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Normal
AI: Off
CATS: Off
Video NR: Off
Black Level: Dark

Finally, for SD viewing I use the first settings I posted but engage video NR.

Important note: If the picture doesn't appear to be bright enough for your lighting do not mess with any of the settings except back light! These settings are calibrated for a dark room. If I use my TV during the day and I find that the ambient light in the room makes the picture appear faded I'll increase the backlight until it's bright enough.

If you're on the fence between this and competing models I would definitely recommend this model. Not only did I find the picture more attractive than competing models, but it was also $50 less!
greenythebeast's Avatar greenythebeast 02:31 AM 02-08-2011
Hey folks,

Does anyone know whether or not the volume buttons on the remote control the optical out port. For example, if I connect speakers to the optical out port, will muting the TV using the remote also mute the speakers? thanks.
AmishFury's Avatar AmishFury 12:32 PM 02-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenythebeast View Post

Hey folks,

Does anyone know whether or not the volume buttons on the remote control the optical out port. For example, if I connect speakers to the optical out port, will muting the TV using the remote also mute the speakers? thanks.

just tested this with my L42U25 and it did not mute the digital out i'm assuming the U22 series TVs have the same behavior
hboogz's Avatar hboogz 12:54 PM 02-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zepman View Post
Try them out and see if you like them. There are many reasons they may not work, or would not be correct. Each model may have different color decoders, different type of LCD panels, etc.

The best way (other than paying a pro to do it) is to calibrate it yourself, it is really pretty easy to do. Buy a calibration DVD or use the one provided for free on the AVS forums.
Zepman - Thanks to you and everyone's informative posts. I recently bought a 32U22 and just can't get the text to be crisp. I also needed to resize my desktop since the geoforce 6200's 1920x1080 made some parts of the screen too wide and tall for the TV. I've resized so everything fits the screen and is still 1080p, but the text is fuzzy and web pages are over-saturated with color and very hard to read. I don't game and want to use this as my primary monitor and I'm hoping your settings could resolve my issues. Notwithstanding issues with my admittedly very old GPU.
Prodeje79's Avatar Prodeje79 11:03 AM 02-18-2011
I just ordered the TC-L37U22 for my mother-in-law. Her family room has a few windows and lots of light. I will try the original settings above.

Overnight shipping only $3.99 with my prime, so I went ahead and plan to have it tomorrow!
I've had good luck with my warehouse deals in the "like new" category.
Prodeje79's Avatar Prodeje79 08:07 AM 03-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodeje79 View Post

I just ordered the TC-L37U22 for my mother-in-law. Her family room has a few windows and lots of light. I will try the original settings above.

Overnight shipping only $3.99 with my prime, so I went ahead and plan to have it tomorrow!
I've had good luck with my warehouse deals in the "like new" category.

any settings updates or other U22 threads to review?
zritel's Avatar zritel 08:31 PM 03-21-2011
Hey all,
I am looking for a new TV with a matte IPS display and considering Panasonic TC-L42U22. Does anybody know what type of covering display has? Is it glossy or matte? Since this model doesn`t have a light sensor, it`s important for me to know how easy could I change brightness level via remote control. Do I have to go to setting in the menu each time I want change brightness level, or the remote control has brightness buttons? What TV models with an IPS display and without 3D and LED should I consider? So far, I found only this Panasonic, LG 42LD450 and LG 42LK450. LG TVs are matte, but they don`t guarantee that display will be IPS.
gibdied's Avatar gibdied 01:11 AM 03-22-2011
A friend of mine has a 37U22. It's a nice TV but it has no easy method to reduce brightness like you'd prefer. If that feature is really important to you, consider the LG 42LD450, 42LD520, or 42LD550 as they have an energy saver button on the remote which quickly and easily lowers the backlight. Furthermore, if you take a look at the box the TV is in, check the product code for a "w" in the 4th position. That strongly indicates the TV has an S-IPS panel. The LG LD520/LD550/LD650 thread is pretty active. You might want to check it out and/or ask questions there.

I don't know anything about the 42LK450.
1  2

Up
Mobile  Desktop