UN-official Panasonic TC-LXXU22 Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 12-02-2010, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did not see any thread related to the Panasonic TC-LXXU22 line so I figured I would start my own. Perhaps this can be of help to those considering this model. A couple days ago I ended up buying the 42" version (also comes in 32" and 37").

It's an entry level Panasonic LCD, with 1080p @ 60hz. Hardly top of the line, but at its price, produces a very nice picture. I'm using it in my bedroom, so its great for that. Here's my overall impressions:

This is of course a personal choice, but I felt this was one of the nicer looking sets at this price range. The Samsungs looked better, as they usually do. Toshiba and Sharp were OK, but not quite as nice overall. I could not stand the gray color on the Sony's, but that's just me.

As for picture quality, from what I can tell after a couple days it seems pretty darn good. I've got a 6 year old 50" Hitachi 720p LCD that it blows out of the water (as it should). I've also got a 50" Samsung Plasma B550 that outperforms the Panny, but not by as much as I would have thought. Black levels are better than I expected for a non-LED model, but contrast overall is lacking compared to the plasma.

After calibration, the colors are pretty good, but again lacking compared to the Samsung. To be honest I was disappointed in the picture controls available as there are only color and tint controls, no advanced color settings. This makes calibration really difficult unless the preset colors are good to begin with (they aren't). For the most part, I've got the primary colors set pretty close but not like I can get on my Samsung which is balls on (one reason I really like that model versus the comparable Panasonic)

I compared this one in store to similarly priced models from Sony, Sharp, Toshiba (all LCD). The Samsungs were priced a bit high for what I wanted to spend on this one. For what it's worth, this Panasonic stood out among the others as having the best overall picture, particularly contrast and black levels. It is so hard to tell in store with the preset picture settings, but with no real reviews available that's all I had. And its just a bedroom tv, afterall so I wasn't THAT concerned.

Overall, after calibration the picture is really nice, given the price and the fact that it is not a plasma (which I prefer, generally). At this point I am happy with my purchase and do not think I would have been better off with any of the other comparable models.

My calibration settings using DVE:
Revised settings on 1/6/11 shown in ( ) using AVS disc
Backlight: 30 (70)
Brightness: 69 (63)
Contrast: 90 (90)
Color Temp: Normal (Warm)
Color: 39 (34)
Tint: +16 (+5)
Black Level: light (light)
NR: off (off)
Sharpness: 0 (10)
AI: off (off)
CATS: off (off)

Colors are a bit off yet, technically, but without advanced controls I'm not sure this set can get much better in that regard. They look natural on screen, so its probably good enough. I may try tweaking these a bit yet.

I should note my settings will work best in a light controlled environment which I have. If you have a lot of light you may need more brightness than this.

I revised the settings after recalibrating. Both the new and old settings are shown above. See which you prefer, although I think the first go around was too dim and was a bit lifeless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 12-02-2010, 08:09 AM

Liked: 12
For those wondering about input lag, I ran a lag test on the 32" model (TC-L32U22) awhile ago and the result was 2-3 frames of lag (31-47 ms). Pics of the results can be found here - link.
post #3 of 48 Old 12-02-2010, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input lag information. Was not an issue for me one way or the other, but I know it is for many.

If anyone else has any calibration settings they'd like to share, I'd love to compare notes.

Does anyone know of any more advanced color controls besides "color", "tint" and "color temperature"???
post #4 of 48 Old 12-02-2010, 03:32 PM

Just picked up a 32" u22 today ... looks great with your settings but I do have one problem that is really bothering me, while hooked up to my pc via an hdmi cable, all text on webpages are quite sharp except for the red text. All red text is very blurry for some reason. Any idea on what would cause that and maybe even possibly fix that?
post #5 of 48 Old 12-03-2010, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Not sure about your text problem. I know that can be an issue sometimes, but I thought less so with LCD's. Make sure all the noise reduction settings are turned off and sharpness turned to 0. You need to adjust the settings for each input separately.

If having them off doesn't work, try turning them on.
post #6 of 48 Old 12-03-2010, 07:53 PM

No... the red text is still blurry. But it did make all the other text even better though.
post #7 of 48 Old 12-04-2010, 06:04 AM

I posted this in another thread when I got mine,

Quote:

Compaired to the Toshiba 32RV530U its replacing, it has noticably better whites and darks, however the Toshiba has more detail in dark areas. The screen on the Panny is also much brighter when its an all dark screen with backlight at 50, but going lower reduces the detail even further. Been juggling backlight, contrast, and brightness for about two hours.

Colors are better, except for red. Had to turn color to 45 and tint to +4 green to get more natural skin tones because of it.

I dont like the lack of adjustments. Its pretty basic, with no individual color control at all. But at least they are pretty accurate, and blue has never looked so good to me on a screen this size.

Text is easy to read. And there is no ghosting at all, while there is on my Toshiba. Responce time is better then what Ive seen around here as well. From 0-30ms. I had one picture of 0ms, one of 10ms, two of 20ms, and three of 30ms. Never any more then that.

I am thinking of picking up the 42in for my mom.
post #8 of 48 Old 12-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

I just picked up the 32" TC-L32U22 a couple weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier with it.
post #9 of 48 Old 12-08-2010, 05:52 PM

Just got my L32U22 and i realized there are no audio outputs other than the digital one. FUuuuuuuu........
i used computer speakers on my last tv, and i even bought a 3.5mm/RCA adapter for this TV. When i tried plugging it in.. I realized all the plugs were INPUTS!
now i have no decent speakers to use with this TV.
I dont want to spend another $300 for a home theater system...
post #10 of 48 Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa1ntbru5h View Post

Just got my L32U22 and i realized there are no audio outputs other than the digital one. FUuuuuuuu........
i used computer speakers on my last tv, and i even bought a 3.5mm/RCA adapter for this TV. When i tried plugging it in.. I realized all the plugs were INPUTS!
now i have no decent speakers to use with this TV.
I dont want to spend another $300 for a home theater system...

You can get an optical-to-RCA converter for around $25: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #11 of 48 Old 12-16-2010, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Not completely thrilled with the colors I've set. I'm going to try some more tweaks, especially changing color temp to warm. I got the colors closer with the normal setting, but it doesn't look "right" when watching.

The lack of controls on this model does not help one bit. I would love to be able to get into the service menu and see what could be adjusted from there. Anyone know the code?
post #12 of 48 Old 12-20-2010, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

I recalibrated my set and changed the settings quite a bit. This time I used the AVS disc, and used the "warm" color temp. Also juiced up the backlight quite a bit because the picture had no life to it.

I'll need to edit my settings that I posted before when I get home and write them down.
post #13 of 48 Old 12-21-2010, 07:11 PM

Zepman, I have very different settings than yours, but usually I'm a contrarian when it comes to picture settings because I use my HDTV primarily for computer, and absolute color accuracy is not that important to me: vibrancy (without bleeding and significant over saturation), contrast (static), black levels, and sharpness are what I'm aiming for.

Backlight: 70
Brightness: 40
Contrast: 90
Color Temp: Normal
Color: 45
Tint: +10
Black Level: light
NR: ON
Sharpness: 65
AI: off
CATS: off

I like to turn backlights up and brightness down. This dramatically improves sharpness and vibrancy but at the expense of slightly grayer blacks, more backlight bleed, and eyeball bleeding (due to the brightness!).

I have to set noise reduction ON because it noticeably improves text for web pages. Also, when reading, I set sharpness to 0; otherwise, there are terrible "halo" or "staircase" effects on text, especially dark fonts on gray or off-white backgrounds. However, I find film and photo too soft if the sharpness is not higher than 60.

Due to the Panasonic's IPS panel, it should have better color accuracy potential than the PVA Samsung, even the LED Samsung, but again, absolute accuracy isn't my main goal. In terms of static contrast and black levels, an independent review has the 37" Panasonic at a terrific 0.15 cd/m2 and 2900:1. AFAIK, the LED Samsung has slightly better blacks but inferior static contrast. Interestingly, most mid-range plasma TVs are below 2900:1 static too. I laugh at Insignia and Vizo models that claim to have 4000 or 5000:1 static contrast when even some of the highest end larger LED TVs are nowhere near that!

For 1080p, I like a modified version of the "VIVID" setting:

Backlight: 85
Brightness: 40
Sharpness: 80

Again, this is not "accurate," but it is pleasing to my tastes.
post #14 of 48 Old 12-21-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum View Post

For those wondering about input lag, I ran a lag test on the 32" model (TC-L32U22) awhile ago and the result was 2-3 frames of lag (31-47 ms). Pics of the results can be found here - link.

Thanks! I was worried about the possibility of input lag for fast gaming.
post #15 of 48 Old 12-23-2010, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

applebook:

Thanks for your settings and disclaimer! Actually my revised brightness settings are much closer to what you have. I just haven't updated them because I don't have access to the settings right now while I post. I'm using the warm color temperature.
post #16 of 48 Old 12-25-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machpost View Post

You can get an optical-to-RCA converter for around $25

Thank you! im going to get this.

*facepalm*
i had the converter in my cart for 3 days. was waiting for it to get closer to Sunday before i ordered so it wouldnt arrive at school before I got back..
Now its sold out until end of January..
post #17 of 48 Old 12-30-2010, 01:45 PM

Hi. My sister just bought the 32 inch version. Zepman, I appreciate that you started a thread. I'm too far away to run some setting tests myself. So, I appreciate yours. When you do get a chance please post your updates. I'm just pointing her to this thread to make the adjustments. I realize it isn't a perfect method but it will work until I have time to do final calibrations with her preferred lighting and such.
post #18 of 48 Old 12-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Why is this "un-official"?
post #19 of 48 Old 01-01-2011, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zepman View Post

applebook:

Thanks for your settings and disclaimer! Actually my revised brightness settings are much closer to what you have. I just haven't updated them because I don't have access to the settings right now while I post. I'm using the warm color temperature.

Hi Zepman, I just ordered a TC-L37U22 from Panasonic, and looking forward to trying out everyone's latest settings. Are your listed settings the ones you recommend?
Thanks,

-Tom
post #20 of 48 Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am having a strange issue with my TC-L37U22 set.

I have a blu-ray player, cable box, and HTPC (Home Theater PC) connected to each of the three HDMI inputs. My HTPC has HDMI out which carries the sound signal as well. When I am using the input for the HTPC, I can hear Windows generated sounds, but not sound from live tv or recorded shows. I only get sound if I change the audio settings of the input to analog, then back to digital (which is the default). If I switch to another input or power down the tv, I have to do the same thing all over again. Is this a bug in the firmware of the TV?

HTPC Enthusiast
post #21 of 48 Old 01-02-2011, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallica View Post

I am having a strange issue with my TC-L37U22 set.

I have a blu-ray player, cable box, and HTPC (Home Theater PC) connected to each of the three HDMI inputs. My HTPC has HDMI out which carries the sound signal as well. When I am using the input for the HTPC, I can hear Windows generated sounds, but not sound from live tv or recorded shows. I only get sound if I change the audio settings of the input to analog, then back to digital (which is the default). If I switch to another input or power down the tv, I have to do the same thing all over again. Is this a bug in the firmware of the TV?

If your tv works fine without using the HTPC, then use trial by elimination, play a blu-ray see if you get the sound, cable box, etc....
meaning, there are lot's of drivers, special settings for HTPC to work correctly, especially with your aspect ratio of the tv, unless it worked perfectly before, here is a link to a HTPC thread where you can search the thread for your mother board and anything related to sounds, etc, you can post a question there, renethx will post some suggestions, this sounds more like a htpc issue rather than if you get wierd sounds when playing a blu-ray movie, or watching cable or sat tv.

Now the link I sent you to is at page #534 of the thread, you can post a question there, please give as much info as you can, mother board, cpu, memory, video card, operating system, and explain in detail of your issue...

I'm going to buy 2 or more of these tv's, and from most of any customer feedback out there, these tv's have a 95 percent of exceptional happy customers.
post #22 of 48 Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

If your tv works fine without using the HTPC, then use trial by elimination

Yes, here is what I tried so far:

-I connected the HTPC to my Panasonic TC-42PZ85U set via HDMI and I get perfect sound and video without any adjustments.
-I connected the HTPC to my Sony Bravia LCD and I get perfect sound and video without any adjustments.
-I changed the HDMI cable to the TC-L37U22
-I used a different HDMI port on the TC-L37U22
-The cable box and blu-ray player have no sound issues.

The only conclusion I can reach is that there is a bug in the firmware of the TC-L37U22. Like I said, if I change the advanced audio settings input from Digital (default) to Component, then back to Digital, I get sound on live tv and recorded tv. Also, when the issue occurs, I do hear Windows noises, but no sound from live tv or recorded shows. Its almost like the TV is ignoring the sound codecs from within recorded shows and live tv.

HTPC Enthusiast
post #23 of 48 Old 01-03-2011, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post

Hi Zepman, I just ordered a TC-L37U22 from Panasonic, and looking forward to trying out everyone's latest settings. Are your listed settings the ones you recommend?
Thanks,

No those are not the final settings. I have not updated them yet, sorry. I will do it tonight hopefully.
post #24 of 48 Old 01-03-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallica View Post

Yes, here is what I tried so far:

-I connected the HTPC to my Panasonic TC-42PZ85U set via HDMI and I get perfect sound and video without any adjustments.
-I connected the HTPC to my Sony Bravia LCD and I get perfect sound and video without any adjustments.
-I changed the HDMI cable to the TC-L37U22
-I used a different HDMI port on the TC-L37U22
-The cable box and blu-ray player have no sound issues.

The only conclusion I can reach is that there is a bug in the firmware of the TC-L37U22. Like I said, if I change the advanced audio settings input from Digital (default) to Component, then back to Digital, I get sound on live tv and recorded tv. Also, when the issue occurs, I do hear Windows noises, but no sound from live tv or recorded shows. Its almost like the TV is ignoring the sound codecs from within recorded shows and live tv.

Well, you mention that using the cable box and blu-ray player have no sound issues, but you've tried other tv set's and had no problem with the htpc hooked up, humm, you may have a point, the only thing I can suggest is to post in the HTPC thread, Renethx is a HTPC guru, everyone goes to his thread as asks anything related to htpc and tv's.

Also, you have the right to call Panasonic, talk to customer support, you could get a tech on the phone, I'm sure they could work with you on if this would be a firmware issue.
Also, if you have a AV receiver, try this out and see id this happens through a reciever, probably with HDMI.

I will be hooking up these tv's up to a Linksys DMA 2100 media center extenders, if I buy 3 tv's, one would be for the bedroom, bar, and another bedroom, so I may run into this problem as well... Thanks.
post #25 of 48 Old 01-04-2011, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Scallica:

Still having issues with the HTPC?
post #26 of 48 Old 01-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Scallica:

Still having issues with the HTPC?

Yes, unfortunately I had to revert to analog. I used a mini-jack to RCA audio cable to carry the audio signal from the HTPC to the TV. I will call Panasonic when I have time this week.

HTPC Enthusiast
post #27 of 48 Old 01-05-2011, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

OK, here are the revised settings finally. This time I used the AVS calibration disc, which I liked quite a bit. Similar to DVE in many ways, but easier to navigate. Less time consuming without all the explanations as well.

Backlight: 70
Brightness: 63
Color Temp: Warm
Color: 34
Tint: +5
Black Level: light
NR: off
Sharpness: 10
AI: off
CATS: off

I'm happier with this result than my first go around. The colors could be more accurate but not without more advanced color controls. Panasonic is not exactly known for great color decoding anyhow. Its pretty good though, all in all.
post #28 of 48 Old 01-05-2011, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-It-Yourself View Post

Why is this "un-official"?

I guess because I am not sure who makes it "official"! I don't post here at AVS all that often and I wasn't sure of the protocol if there was any about that sort of thing.
post #29 of 48 Old 01-05-2011, 12:47 PM

I just got this TV a few hours ago. Thank you for all the great information on this thread. If I could just ask one quick question. Is 2-3 frames( 31-47ms) good or bad? I am new to this so all I see is numbers. I do plan on playing Wii and PS3 on it from only around 4 feet, which is why I got the 1080p model over the cheaper 720p with the iPod dock( which HAS a game mode)

So, is that sorta lag good? Will I notice it? Thanks in advance
post #30 of 48 Old 01-06-2011, 12:16 AM

I believe I read somewhere that the Panasonic 1080P TVs don't run PC mode in 1080P, is that true? I had been considering going with a Panasonic model (likely U22) but this would be a deal-breaker for me since it would be used heavily as a monitor.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page