Best 1080p Television under $800 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 48 Old 12-04-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know it a lot to ask for since my budget's about $800-$900 but what is the absolute best 1080p television i can get around or under $800-$900?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 12-04-2010, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hi new member guy. I'm going to give you the best advice so stick with me until the end of this post.

This question is asked about 5 times a day here every single day of the year. The regular members are so sick of seeing the same question that they will ignore it. Then 2 hours from now you will impolitely bump your own thread and eventually it will sink to the abyss of page #5. You will be no further in your quest for quality HDTV.

But if you are REALLY serious, you will go to the store and actually view various TVs to see what you like. Then you should write down a couple model numbers and your questions about each, then come back here.

At that point you can ask questions and people may give you answers. Or you could do a forum search and look at the Owner's Threads for each of these sets then see what members think about each brand. By doing this you will start to get a good feel about what is "best" and spend your money wisely. Good luck,
post #3 of 48 Old 12-04-2010, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Well I will start with this, how many inches is it before you can tell a "true" difference between 1080p and 720p and what about viewing distance im going to estimate I sit 5 to 10 feet away from the TV once again The budget it under $800 or $800-$900 and has to be 1080p unless it doesnt make a "true" difference.
post #4 of 48 Old 12-04-2010, 08:26 PM

This page covers the basics of resolution vs. viewing distance. Take it as a guide not gospel, but it should provide you some answers.

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/HDTV_Viewing_Distance.htm

Back in January when I shopped for a TV the 50" Panasonic plasma topped my list and that's what we bought. When we finish the basement and move the plasma downstairs, I will be shopping for a smaller LCD TV for the upstairs living room, and I will probably look hard at the Vizios and then see if a Sharp or LG can beat them for the price/size.

Hope that helps.
post #5 of 48 Old 12-04-2010, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Hi new member guy. I'm going to give you the best advice so stick with me until the end of this post.

This question is asked about 5 times a day here every single day of the year. The regular members are so sick of seeing the same question that they will ignore it. Then 2 hours from now you will impolitely bump your own thread and eventually it will sink to the abyss of page #5. You will be no further in your quest for quality HDTV.

But if you are REALLY serious, you will go to the store and actually view various TVs to see what you like. Then you should write down a couple model numbers and your questions about each, then come back here.

At that point you can ask questions and people may give you answers. Or you could do a forum search and look at the Owner's Threads for each of these sets then see what members think about each brand. By doing this you will start to get a good feel about what is "best" and spend your money wisely. Good luck,

I think it a fair question even though you don't know the answer.............

Or maybe you do and you don't want to share your wisdom............

Caliberzzz there is a viewing distance calculator here http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

Once you have idea of the size you looking for I am sure people will give you advice - I know there a lot of different options and it can be overwhelming.

Ignore omeletpants - he just seems to like not answering questions unless people do it his way.

You may also want to check CNET TV buying guide and look at their reviews/recommendations http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-guide/

It is true once you narrow down some options you should view them.
post #6 of 48 Old 12-04-2010, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, I'm trying to help him by suggesting he view a few sets and come back with specific questions.
post #7 of 48 Old 12-04-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

I will try to view them or tell my parents since there the one buying it. Any more suggestions?
post #8 of 48 Old 12-05-2010, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

I'm currently looking at a PN50C490 from Samsung, My parents arent willing to spend that much like on a Panasonic Viera V20/25 so I'll keep the budget at anything under $800 or $800 to $1000 I cant drive you guys so personally i cant view them unless I go with them.
post #9 of 48 Old 12-05-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliberzzz View Post

I'm currently looking at a PN50C490 from Samsung, My parents arent willing to spend that much like on a Panasonic Viera V20/25 so I'll keep the budget at anything under $800 or $800 to $1000 I cant drive you guys so personally i cant view them unless I go with them.

That's a plasma and this is the LCD forum. You may want to continue this discussion in the plasma forum
post #10 of 48 Old 12-05-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Like omeletpants said, if you really want a plasma, why did you even start a thread in the LCD forum?

Wish my parents would buy me a new TV.
post #11 of 48 Old 12-05-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:

I know it a lot to ask for since my budget's about $800-$900 but what is the absolute best 1080p television i can get around or under $800-$900?

This is pretty simple actually. See where you can find a Panasonic TC-P46G25.

A terrific TV.
post #12 of 48 Old 12-05-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Whats the lowest price you could find on a Panasonic VIERA TC-P46G25? I found a legit $732 on the PN50C490 Sorry for posting plasmas in a LCD fourm
post #13 of 48 Old 12-05-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Whats the lowest price you could find on a Panasonic VIERA TC-P46G25? I found a legit $732 on the PN50C490 Sorry for posting plasmas in a LCD fourm

Pricing discussion aren't allowed on this forum. You must have ignore that condition when you signed up

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/annou...hp?f=166&a=119
post #14 of 48 Old 12-05-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Like omeletpants said, if you really want a plasma, why did you even start a thread in the LCD forum?

Wish my parents would buy me a new TV.

He could be helping his parents buy their *own* TV.
post #15 of 48 Old 12-05-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

na lol, sorry about the price discussion
post #16 of 48 Old 12-05-2010, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

You can find the 50pk550 within your budget if you shop around. I have the 60" version, great set
post #17 of 48 Old 12-06-2010, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

You can find the 50pk550 within your budget if you shop around. I have the 60" version, great set

You may find the LG 50PK550 cheaper than the Panasonic TC-P46G25. The LG is a pretty good TV, and the extra 4 inches of screen size will have a lot of impact.

You can't go wrong with either model. The extra 4 inches of screen size also means you don't have to sit as close to fully benefit from 1080P.

To benefit from 1080, you should aim for a viewing distance of no more than 8 feet, and sitting even closer will maximize 1080P.
post #18 of 48 Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:

While this is good advice, I personally do not enjoy posts like this, especially being a new member myself. This is an open forum for people to ask questions, provide information ect, and post like this regardless of the intentions come off as bullying or rude and there is no need for it.

I for one love this site, however, this is not the easiest forum to search for information considering many of the threads are hundreds, or even thousands of posts long. There is certainly a lot of knowledge on this site and it would only take looking through the first few pages to answer his question, however for a new member it can be information overload.

To address the OP, a good place to get an idea of TV's in your price range is CNET. Under TV reviews they have a section for the best cheap LCDs & plasma, they also recently had an article on the best TV for the money. Take a look there and when you find something you are interested in come back here and search for that specific model. It will really help you cut down on your search time give you more meaningful results.
post #19 of 48 Old 12-07-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkim View Post

While this is good advice, I personally do not enjoy posts like this, especially being a new member myself. This is an open forum for people to ask questions, provide information ect, and post like this regardless of the intentions come off as bullying or rude and there is no need for it.

I for one love this site, however, this is not the easiest forum to search for information considering many of the threads are hundreds, or even thousands of posts long. There is certainly a lot of knowledge on this site and it would only take looking through the first few pages to answer his question, however for a new member it can be information overload.

To address the OP, a good place to get an idea of TV's in your price range is CNET. Under TV reviews they have a section for the best cheap LCDs & plasma, they also recently had an article on the best TV for the money. Take a look there and when you find something you are interested in come back here and search for that specific model. It will really help you cut down on your search time give you more meaningful results.

Sorry you feel that way. Maybe when you a here awhile you will appreciate that it's bad form and rude to ask the same question 5 times a day without doing a search. That is the etiquette on every internet information forum.

As you can see he didn't get any good suggestions except mine. I was just predicting how the thread would fail and what he could do to help himself.
post #20 of 48 Old 12-07-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry you feel that way. Maybe when you a here awhile you will appreciate that it's bad form and rude to ask the same question 5 times a day without doing a search. That is the etiquette on every internet information forum.

As you can see he didn't get any good suggestions except mine. I was just predicting how the thread would fail and what he could do to help himself.

The thread is hardly a failure, with 2 recommendations, the LG50PK550, and the Panasonic TC-P46G25.

Thanks to Servicetech571 and others, the OP found out exactly what he needed to know without spending hours reading endless threads. PM is the clincher in these scenarios.

Oh yes, as far as 3D, the Panasonic VT20, VT25s have the best 3 D. All of the Samsungs have more ghosting than the VT20, VT25s. Even the best of the 3D Samsungs, (the plasmas), suffer from minor ghosting, and the Samsung LCDs have obvious ghosting which detracts from the 3D experience.
post #21 of 48 Old 12-07-2010, 12:27 PM

Look up LG LED LE5400 series. I got my 32LE5400 for $600 and I'm very pleased. I haven't checked out the price for bigger size, but $600 is still a steal price for the quality of true LED 1080P. You gotta check out 42" or bigger to meet your price range.
post #22 of 48 Old 12-07-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORYUKENSF4 View Post

Look up LG LED LE5400 series. I got my 32LE5400 for $600 and I'm very pleased. I haven't checked out the price for bigger size, but $600 is still a steal price for the quality of true LED 1080P. You gotta check out 42" or bigger to meet your price range.

i second that
post #23 of 48 Old 12-07-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORYUKENSF4 View Post

Nice going.

How far do you sit from this TV?
post #24 of 48 Old 12-07-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

What about the C8000 from Samsung does this have ghosting? I really appreciate your guys suggestions I'm currently looking at the LG's and Panasonic ones that you guys have recommended Thank you.
post #25 of 48 Old 12-07-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Also Space only allows for a "50-54 inch TV I currently have a http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...iw=994&bih=636

I'll try to upload so you guys can tell me the correct model # and how many inches it is
post #26 of 48 Old 12-07-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What about the C8000 from Samsung does this have ghosting? I really appreciate your guys suggestions I'm currently looking at the LG's and Panasonic ones that you guys have recommended Thank you.

The smallest Samsung UNxxC8000 comes in a 46" size. If you get it, you'll nearly triple your budget. Oops, I meant your parents' budget. It's a very nice TV though.
post #27 of 48 Old 12-07-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

I found one a C8000 50 inch for $908 you guys think this site looks legit? %40 percent off http://world-electronics-online.com/...roducts.search They also have the other 2 TV's you guys have recommended
post #28 of 48 Old 12-07-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I found one a C8000 50 inch for $908 you guys think this site looks legit? %40 percent off http://world-electronics-online.com/...roducts.search They also have the other 2 TV's you guys have recommended

You must be talking plasma rather than LCD. 50" panels are only plasma, not CCFL/LCD or LED/LCD.

I know some of you guys disagree with me and say BoilerJim is being a jerk, but if you want a plasma, why don't you post in in the plasma forum where there are more plasma experts? I'm guessing that's why we have separate forums for the different technologies.
post #29 of 48 Old 12-07-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Well Ive gotten the most help from this forum and I just don't feel like posting this all over again I'm not really looking for a plasma or a LED/LCD TV I'm just looking for a TV. So do you guys think this site is legit because they have all 3 TV's you guys have recommended
post #30 of 48 Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well Ive gotten the most help from this forum and I just don't feel like posting this all over again I'm not really looking for a plasma or a LED/LCD TV I'm just looking for a TV. So do you guys think this site is legit because they have all 3 TV's you guys have recommended

1) I wouldn't buy anything from that site. They are probably selling grey market goods that do not have a US manufacturers warranty. Also, they have awful return policies including re-stocking fees (at a minimum). The restocking fee is usually 15%. But they are very strict about returns and may very well just send the TV back to you and you are SOL.

2) If the price seems too good to be true it almost always is.

3) They don't stock most of what they sell. Companies like that have to find your merchandise somewhere on the grey market.

4) All the Samsungs have ghosting. The plasmas aren't as bad as the LCDs for ghosting. I posted the 3D performance in post #20 of this thread.

5) If you want to avoid some potentially big headaches, save up for another couple of months. There are going to be sales for the SuperBowl.

Any other questions, just post them here.
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page