TC-L37D2 or 37LE5300 panel lottery? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy a 37" HDTV for my bedroom. I assume the best option would be to go with a 1080p 120Hz set.

I have narrowed it down to the Panasonic TC-L37D2 and the LG 37LE5300. Would anyone have any advice on buying one versus the other?

However, my main question for this thread is "are either of these sets affected by the panel lottery I keep hearing about?". I've heard a little here or there but I'm not sure if it's still going on or if there's anything I can do to ensure I'm receiving the best possible screen.

Any ideas/advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-09-2010, 09:42 AM

Liked: 12
personally i would prefer LG backlit over edge-lit. a side-by-by comparison here http://tv-compare.blogspot.com/2010/...-tc-l37d2.html
post #3 of 15 Old 12-09-2010, 12:05 PM

From what I've read and understand, decrescendo, the LG does have a panel lottery. Check out the "LG LE5300 How Can You Tell It's an IPS Panel?" thread on how to determine the type of panel before purchasing. However, I don't believe that Panasonic partakes in the panel lottery. I'm pretty sure they are guaranteed IPS panels. (However, what brand of panel may be different. I haven't seen any info on this.)

These are the top two contenders for me. Anyone have any info on the input lag for the IPS version of the LE5300 and the Panasonic?

And TerrenceQ, the LE5300 is not back-lit that site is incorrect; it is Edge-lit just like the Panasonic.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-09-2010, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedForman View Post

From what I've read and understand, decrescendo, the LG does have a panel lottery. Check out the "LG LE5300 How Can You Tell It's an IPS Panel?" thread on how to determine the type of panel before purchasing. However, I don't believe that Panasonic partakes in the panel lottery. I'm pretty sure they are guaranteed IPS panels. (However, what brand of panel may be different. I haven't seen any info on this.)

These are the top two contenders for me. Anyone have any info on the input lag for the IPS version of the LE5300 and the Panasonic?

And TerrenceQ, the LE5300 is not back-lit that site is incorrect; it is Edge-lit just like the Panasonic.

I read on the LG website that the LE5300 is "LED-backlit". Does that mean its backlit in a different fashion than edge-lit?
post #5 of 15 Old 12-09-2010, 03:47 PM

I took a look again, the European (UK) version said it's edge-lit, and the US version says back lit. So, is now I'M confused. Is the UK version totally different than the US version? (other than 100hz vs 120hz)
post #6 of 15 Old 12-09-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I took a look again, the European (UK) version said it's edge-lit, and the US version says back lit. So, is now I'M confused. Is the UK version totally different than the US version? (other than 100hz vs 120hz)

I take it backlit is better since its more than just the edge that is emitting light?
post #7 of 15 Old 12-09-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decrescendo View Post

I take it backlit is better since its more than just the edge that is emitting light?

Yes, however, it IS edge-lit. I was looking on the wrong LG site. Here it from the US LG site:
"Tired of dark scenes or dull colors? LG’s Edge-lit LED technology delivers amazing clarity and color detail as well as a more energy efficient TV compared to conventional TVs."

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...v-37LE5300.jsp
post #8 of 15 Old 12-09-2010, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, however, it IS edge-lit. I was looking on the wrong LG site. Here it from the US LG site:
"Tired of dark scenes or dull colors? LG's Edge-lit LED technology delivers amazing clarity and color detail as well as a more energy efficient TV compared to conventional TVs."

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...v-37LE5300.jsp

Interesting. Under "Specifications" on that site is where I read "Display: LED-backlit".

Are there any full backlit LED TVs out there? All the ones I'm cross-shopping appear to be edge-lit.

So when it comes down to it, these TVs are pretty similar, aren't they?
post #9 of 15 Old 12-10-2010, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Redforman,

Not sure if you've seen this thread but it was of some help to me: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1245665
post #10 of 15 Old 12-10-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Redforman,

Not sure if you've seen this thread but it was of some help to me: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1245665

No, Good find thanks for that. I haven't seen the LE3500 in person yet, but I have seen the D2. The closest place that'd have one on display is about a 35 minute drive. When I get the chance to go buy, I plan to go there and check it out; however, from looking at the D2, I'm pretty sold, and the LE5300 would have to be pretty amazing for me to change my mind. Plus a local warehouse store that rhymes with "Bosco" (Seinfeld anyone? ) has the D2 on sale until the end of the month for a good deal.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-10-2010, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, Good find thanks for that. I haven't seen the LE3500 in person yet, but I have seen the D2. The closest place that'd have one on display is about a 35 minute drive. When I get the chance to go buy, I plan to go there and check it out; however, from looking at the D2, I'm pretty sold, and the LE5300 would have to be pretty amazing for me to change my mind. Plus a local warehouse store that rhymes with "Bosco" (Seinfeld anyone? ) has the D2 on sale until the end of the month for a good deal.

I'm still pretty on the fence between these two sets. At Best Buy, the Panny is $50 cheaper ($699), but I'm pretty sure they'd price match the LG to what I see on Amazon ($699).

The guy at Best Buy said he liked the Panasonic better from "having to look at the sets all day every day". However, the LG set is thinner and looks a little more sexy. But, I suppose that doesn't matter compared to picture quality.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-13-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:

I'm still pretty on the fence between these two sets. At Best Buy, the Panny is $50 cheaper ($699), but I'm pretty sure they'd price match the LG to what I see on Amazon ($699).

The guy at Best Buy said he liked the Panasonic better from "having to look at the sets all day every day". However, the LG set is thinner and looks a little more sexy. But, I suppose that doesn't matter compared to picture quality.

Have you purchased one of these yet? If so, I'm interested in what your final deciding factor was. I took at look at the 32LE5300, and I was not impressed. Though they definitely weren't an IPS panel, I just didn't like the PQ even with perfectly on-axis viewing. I'm almost certain I'm gonna nab the D2 or a 47LD520 (split on guaranteed IPS or chance it an go with more 5" and a plain CCFL).
post #13 of 15 Old 12-13-2010, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Have you purchased one of these yet? If so, I'm interested in what your final deciding factor was. I took at look at the 32LE5300, and I was not impressed. Though they definitely weren't an IPS panel, I just didn't like the PQ even with perfectly on-axis viewing. I'm almost certain I'm gonna nab the D2 or a 47LD520 (split on guaranteed IPS or chance it an go with more 5" and a plain CCFL).

I think I'm going with the TC-L37D2 for $699.99 at Best Buy. The 37LE5300 is $749.99 at Best Buy and $699.99 at Amazon. I don't think BB will match Amazon's price but I don't want put up with the 37LE5300 panel lottery via Amazon. Recent reviews on Amazon for the 37LE5300 tell me that people are getting a second non-IPS panel after returning their first. I don't feel like playing that game.

Plus, I don't feel like giving LG my money if they are going to slip in a panel lottery without people realizing it.

So, I believe today I'll be picking up the Panasonic from Best Buy.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-13-2010, 11:26 AM

Right on, that's what I was thinking as well. Let me know how you like it.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-17-2010, 07:33 AM

amazon has the TC-L37D2 as a gold box special right now... you cant beat that price....under 560 shipped... i just bought one for my up-stairs tv/game/kids room
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page