Just bought my first hdtv! LG 42LD520 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone! I just purchased a new hdtv (LG 42LD520) and I am, so far, satisfied. Of course upgrading from a sdtv to a hdtv is an amazing difference to begin with, I did a bit of research on this model and have seen mainly good reviews.

I do have a couple questions about cabling, menu settings, and maybe some input from people who own this same model.

First things first, questions about HDMI cables, are there really significant differences in terms of name brand vs. say... a cable from monoprice? The people at best buy told me that the cable quality DOES matter and the difference between a $20 cable and a $100 cable is the "speed". I would like someone to verify cable quality (in layman's terms or detailed terms) if possible.

I would need a ~15' cable to reach from my PC to my tv, would a cable from monoprice suffice? Or will I notice a loss in quality running from my pc to tv with this cable?

Secondly - Why are some of the options greyed out inside the menu? For instance - xvYCC , Expert Pattern, Infinity Sound, etc.

Third - As for hooking it up to my surround sound, I read that there was an "Audio Out" port on this set, only to find out that it's Digital Optical instead of rca when I got it home, which isn't a big deal I'll just need to purchase the cable. The question I have is will I hear sound from both the tv and through the receiver or will this not work?

Lastly, to anyone who owns the same model, what are your thoughts on this hdtv? How long have you owned your set? Overall rating 1-10 if possible?

Thank you all in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueMic View Post

Hello everyone! I just purchased a new hdtv (LG 42LD520) and I am, so far, satisfied. Of course upgrading from a sdtv to a hdtv is an amazing difference to begin with, I did a bit of research on this model and have seen mainly good reviews.

I do have a couple questions about cabling, menu settings, and maybe some input from people who own this same model.

First things first, questions about HDMI cables, are there really significant differences in terms of name brand vs. say... a cable from monoprice? The people at best buy told me that the cable quality DOES matter and the difference between a $20 cable and a $100 cable is the "speed". I would like someone to verify cable quality (in layman's terms or detailed terms) if possible.

I would need a ~15' cable to reach from my PC to my tv, would a cable from monoprice suffice? Or will I notice a loss in quality running from my pc to tv with this cable?

Secondly - Why are some of the options greyed out inside the menu? For instance - xvYCC , Expert Pattern, Infinity Sound, etc.

Third - As for hooking it up to my surround sound, I read that there was an "Audio Out" port on this set, only to find out that it's Digital Optical instead of rca when I got it home, which isn't a big deal I'll just need to purchase the cable. The question I have is will I hear sound from both the tv and through the receiver or will this not work?

Lastly, to anyone who owns the same model, what are your thoughts on this hdtv? How long have you owned your set? Overall rating 1-10 if possible?

Thank you all in advance!

I'll try to answer a couple of your questions...

The Monoprice cables will work fine. Best Buy will naturally tell you that their $100 cables are better, but there have been numerous threads on this Forum that will refute that as will many technical articles I've read over the years. Trust us on this one, save money with Monoprice.

As for the surround sound hook-up, why do you want to pass audio from your TV to your receiver? Why don't you pass the audio from the receiver to the TV using the new HDMI cable you are planning to buy? That's the way most of us do it. HDMI carries video & sound both, eliminating the need for multiple cables.

Finally, as for portions of your menu being "grayed out," someone else can probably give a more technical answer, but the simple answer is that depending on certain menu settings, others are "grayed out" because they shouldn't be adjusted. Wish I could give you some specifics, but I haven't had breakfast yet and my mind isn't concentrating on technical issues yet. The bottom line is that they are grayed out for a reason and there's nothing wrong with your TV.

For more information, there should be a thread on your TV on this Forum and if you search the first few pages, you'll probably find it. Enjoy your new TV.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 08:33 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

This has to do with your current Picture Mode setting, and in some cases, the input connection you're currently on. For the most part, most consumers just want a "one button do all" setting. So that's probably what your LG is currently doing (probably on the Movie preset or similar). So to gain access to the grayed out settings, set your mode to "ISF Expert", and pretty much all the options will then become adjustable.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I figured it was just a bunch of rabble to get a sale on an overpriced cable, the majority of people who try to sell you stuff have no idea what they're talking about :P..

Surround Sound - I don't have an HDMI capable receiver, so that is not possible, I was just wondering if digital optical is the same as RCA (red white) and the audio will still play through the tv, as well as the receiver for added sound.

As for the picture mode settings they don't seem (to me) like they'd directly effect performance, I was just curious more than anything.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-22-2010, 08:47 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

As for the picture mode settings they don't seem (to me) like they'd directly effect performance, I was just curious more than anything.

I highly recommend you go into the LD520 owners thread and find some picture settings that other users have posted. I have the LD450, and with some tweaks here and there in the ISF Expert mode, picture quality has drastically improved over the stock settings.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-23-2010, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

I went through that thread and tried out multiple settings configurations and almost all of them are too dark for me.

Now, am I being too picky or is the picture supposed to be real "grainy" and almost pixelated? I watched The Expendables on bluray and all I see is little dots all over peoples faces, this is most noticable with brighter shots, of course dark ones wont show it. No matter which settings I change the picture remains looking like it has the "Film Grain Effect".
post #7 of 7 Old 12-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 170
+1 on Monoprice...

MP cables are second to none. I purchased all my HDMI cables from MP. I as well purchased a digital audio cable from MP as I am running digital audio from my LG to a Yamaha sound bar. If your receiver accepts digital audio you will get the TV sound through your speaker setup as well as the tv speakers. I elect to turn off the tv speakers as I think they are quite terrible.

Also, don't restrict yourself to settings that are specific to just your LG model. There are numerous LG threads in the form that contain settings that as applied you may find hit the sweet spot.

Denon: AVR X1000
Klipsch: RF-82 II / RC-62 II / RB-61 II
SVS: PB-2000 & PB-1000
LG: 47LE5400
Panamax M5100-PM
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page