Heat Warning Message - Sony WEGA 50" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2011, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I'm new to the board and have a serious (I think ...) problem. Five years ago I bought a new Sony WEGA KDF E50A10 LCD. It was great. Six months after I bought it, I had to put it in storage for four years as I moved overseas and couldn't take it with me. I'm back in the US now and just had the contents of the storage locker delivered to my new home. I plugged in the TV and saw this message: "High Temperature Warning! Check that the ventilation slots are not blocked or clogged with dust. The Temperature is being monitored. Your TV may turn off soon". And sure enough... 20 seconds later, the TV shut itself off. This message is positioned in a blue-grey rectangular box in the middle of the frame.

I immediately downloaded the manual and was advised to take the set to a Sony Service center. Big help. I then took off the back panel and checked the fans; both are running fine. I vacuumed the fans and the vents and everything I could find without any change in the status of the TV. I called a local service tech who told me that it'll cost $120 for the visit, plus $40 if he has to take it back to his shop to work on it. If it needs a new lamp, he quoted me about $200 for the part. The set has been used less than 6 months.

So here are the questions: Is it worth fixing? What do you think is wrong with it?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any advice you may offer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If the fans are all running I'd start with a temp sensor.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

If the fans are all running I'd start with a temp sensor.

Thanks for the quick response, Servicetech571! Is a heat sensor something I can access and test myself? How much to replace by a tech onsite?

Thanks again...
Old 01-02-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Does the TV get a "blink code" when it shuts down? The power light may blink 4x or something similar. For self repair I doubt it unless the part is easy to get to. These TV's are a PITA to work on.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the power light blinks red twice in a row, waits a second or three, then repeats. This happens several times (perhaps 10?... didn't count...), and then it stops.

I'm thinking it's not worth the expense to repair if the cost to repair is more than $200. I can get a new samsung plasma 50" set for $600...

Advice is most welcome...
Old 01-02-2011, 10:35 PM

Just get a new TV. Yes, it's a bummer that you used it for 6 months and you probably paid a lot for it but what can you do? You'll be very happy with the samsung.