Toshiba 40G300U with Excessive Input Lag while Gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-03-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just got a Toshiba 40G300U LCD today. The picture quality is great, but it suffers from some pretty noticeable lag, even with "Game Mode" on. Is there any possible solution to this? I tried playing Super Smash Bros (Melee for the GameCube and Brawl for the Wii), and they both exhibited significant amounts of lag. If there isn't a solution, what TVs in the 40" range (and not overly expensive) are the best for gaming?

Also, does anyone have experiences with Amazon's return policy for TVs? I'm not sure if they would charge return shipping...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-04-2011, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortduderay View Post

Hi,

I just got a Toshiba 40G300U LCD today. The picture quality is great, but it suffers from some pretty noticeable lag, even with "Game Mode" on. Is there any possible solution to this? I tried playing Super Smash Bros (Melee for the GameCube and Brawl for the Wii), and they both exhibited significant amounts of lag. If there isn't a solution, what TVs in the 40" range (and not overly expensive) are the best for gaming?

Also, does anyone have experiences with Amazon's return policy for TVs? I'm not sure if they would charge return shipping...

If you didn't know already, lag is caused by "bells and whistles" added to video signals to make the image nicer and also resolution scaling that the TV does instead of the source. So an option for alot of gamers who are already locked into a TV purchase is to use the VGA PC port (which typically doesn't do all that processing junk) with an HDFury adapter. But that is expensive especially if you need a power brick for it. ps3 or xbox360 users don't need the power brick becasue enough power goes over HDMI. xbox360 users are even luckier because MS makes a vga cable for the console.

So, if you are not locked into the purchase, if i were you I'd really take a look at the input lag threads on this board. Lots of LCD/Plasma panel recommendations based on "objective" testing. I'm pretty sensitive to LCD lag so I play games on a TN based flat panel pc monitor. Fighting game enthusiasts like myself typically go this route.

In the meantime try to dick around through as many video "processing" options and turn OFF as many as you can. Also make sure you NOT running at 120Hz. Pretty famous for introducing lag to games.

On game mode, not all game modes are created equally. Some game modes may only give you back half a frame (~9-10ms)..disappointing I know.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page