Samsung 2011 Lineup - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1817 Old 02-02-2011, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The D8000 benefits the most from crosstalk reduction, since only that model incorporates 240Hz + backlight scanning. The slides below claim "crosstalk free" and those L and R response times look well-seperated. Too bad they never label the axes with units on their graphs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1817 Old 02-02-2011, 05:12 PM

Liked: 10
Has anyone seen any specs on all the new models....particularly the LCD models. I'm looking to get a 32" LCD or LED that has at least 120 HZ. Not sure whether to just pick up a Samsung LCD with 60HZ now or wait for the new models and hope that I can get one at that size that has the 120.
post #273 of 1817 Old 02-03-2011, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
New look for the user menu (said to be on 8000 series and in 720p).

http://translate.google.com/translat...%26prmd%3Divns
post #274 of 1817 Old 02-04-2011, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Keep it to standard remotes Samsung!

Please not!!! These new remotes are so ugly. I want OLED-Touchscreen-Remotes or the great silber brushed aluminium and illuminated C7000 remote. We live in 2011 and not 1980...
post #275 of 1817 Old 02-04-2011, 03:05 PM

Sorry if this has been covered before, but is it confirmed that the remotes are bluetooth as well? If so, on which models? Will the TV be able to accept an IR signal from a Harmony remote as well? Thanks for the help!

Also, does this apply to the plasmas as well?
post #276 of 1817 Old 02-04-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
Sorry if this has been covered before, but is it confirmed that the remotes are bluetooth as well? If so, on which models? Will the TV be able to accept an IR signal from a Harmony remote as well? Thanks for the help!

Also, does this apply to the plasmas as well?
Good Point, I would hope there is an IR option as I would prefer to use my Harmony for most basic operations.
post #277 of 1817 Old 02-05-2011, 10:15 AM

Greetings.

I'm interested in either the 7000 or 8000 series Samsung 2011 LEDs.

However, I can't help but notice the great deals on 2010 Samsung 8000 LEDs currently going on, as well as the 2010 Sony 810's.

Do you think it's worth it to wait for one of the 2011 Samsung LEDs, or do you think it makes more sense to buy one of the current LEDs at a year end discount?

For those of you who follow these things, how much of a premium do you think early buyers of a Samsung 2011 LED would have to pay compared to the equivalent 2010 model at its "end of life?"

And do you think the premium is worth it in terms of new features and improvements in picture quality? Have Samsung's engineers and elves been doing their homework and at this point it's worth waiting and paying for a 2011 set with all of its 2011 goodness? Or, paraphrasing Brutus, "there is a tide in the affairs of men, which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune, so you'd be an idiot not to take advantage of deep discounts on currently shipping LEDs."

Thanks in advance!
post #278 of 1817 Old 02-05-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterFace View Post

Do you think it's worth it to wait for one of the 2011 Samsung LEDs, or do you think it makes more sense to buy one of the current LEDs at a year end discount?

There's a great article up at cnet right now regarding this issue. The price drops are always cyclical. Basically it all boils down to what type of buyer you are and what you're looking for. If you're a videophile who wants the best of the best, the newer models are right around the corner, so it's best to wait. If you're just looking for the best deal, then now is a great time to buy. Stores are lowering their profit margins to get rid of sets to make room for the 2011 models.

Quote:

For those of you who follow these things, how much of a premium do you think early buyers of a Samsung 2011 LED would have to pay compared to the equivalent 2010 model at its "end of life?"

There is a price list a few pages back, but I don't think anything is official as of now. The higher end the model, the more you're going to end up saving when it comes to last year versus this year. Expect to pay MSRP if you're looking to purchase the newest sets when they release.

An example I can give you is the UN65C8000. The set's MSRP is ridiculous at $6000. Right now, if you shop around, you can easily find the set for $5200-5500. If you bargain hard enough, you could probably get it down to $4200-4600. Sharp, LG, Vizio, and Sony are both jumping back into the 65"+ market in 2011, so Samsung won't have a monopoly on that segment anymore so that could play a role in helping lower the MSRP of the higher end sets. But basically, you're looking at a potential $1000+ savings for the old model versus new model if the MSRP for the D series remains within the same vicinity as the C series MSRPs.

Quote:

And do you think the premium is worth it in terms of new features and improvements in picture quality? Have Samsung's engineers and elves been doing their homework and at this point it's worth waiting and paying for a 2011 set with all of its 2011 goodness? Or, paraphrasing Brutus, "there is a tide in the affairs of men, which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune, so you'd be an idiot not to take advantage of deep discounts on currently shipping LEDs."

From what I've read, when it comes to 2D PQ, not much has changed. This is really disappointing especially given how many issues Samsung edge-lit LEDs have had. I was this close to purchasing the UN65C8000 last year until I stumbled on the thread for the set here. The whole thread is almost return after return.

Samsung has become the new Sony as of late. They're completely getting out of hand and I'm just really disappointed because they are my favorite company. I think the C9000 series was a perfect example of that last year as it had a $7000 MSRP but had PQ that was the same and/or actually inferior to sets costing $3000-4000 less. Their B8500 series is still the holy grail of LCDs and that was from 2009. It's ridiculous that their highest end of the highest still can't match it in 2D PQ.

I'm hoping the edge-lit tech will have improved significantly this year, but so far, it seems that the only thing slightly improved is 3D. Unless you count LCD remotes and more apps as "improvement." Personally for me, I already purchased a great Sharp 60" to hold me over for the year. Once the landscape clears for all the sets coming up and the prices drop, that's when I'll make the jump for the 2011 models.
post #279 of 1817 Old 02-05-2011, 11:20 AM

I am in the same boat as HamsterFace....unsure on whether to pull the trigger on last years models or wait for the new ones. I like the looks of the new UN32D4000 - MSRP 529.99 (for the bedroom) but would like 120 HZ. Has anyone seen any specs on this model and whether it has 120 HZ? Or does anyone know if there is new 32" model (LCD or LED) that would have the 120?

Is there much of a difference between 120 and 60HZ on a 32" set?
post #280 of 1817 Old 02-05-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDayday View Post

There's a great article up at cnet right now regarding this issue. The price drops are always cyclical. Basically it all boils down to what type of buyer you are and what you're looking for. If you're a videophile who wants the best of the best, the newer models are right around the corner, so it's best to wait. If you're just looking for the best deal, then now is a great time to buy. Stores are lowering their profit margins to get rid of sets to make room for the 2011 models.

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

That's not quite my situation but helpful. It's not that I'm a videophile. Quite the opposite, I've never owned a flat screen TV. My friends tease me mercilessly as I have a nice sound system, yet we are forced to huddle around my computer to watch movies. The deals are tempting. But since I have waited this long, I guess I can wait a little longer to get something a little more spiffy.

Quote:

An example I can give you is the UN65C8000. The set's MSRP is ridiculous at $6000. Right now, if you shop around, you can easily find the set for $5200-5500. If you bargain hard enough, you could probably get it down to $4200-4600. Sharp, LG, Vizio, and Sony are both jumping back into the 65"+ market in 2011, so Samsung won't have a monopoly on that segment anymore so that could play a role in helping lower the MSRP of the higher end sets. But basically, you're looking at a potential $1000+ savings for the old model versus new model if the MSRP for the D series remains within the same vicinity as the C series MSRPs.

If the difference is $500 on a 46" 7000 or 8000, that seems a reasonable premium for the next generation. $1,000 seems a little steep at that size. I would like to buy a TV set from a somewhat reputable dealer as well, which means foregoing the lowest available prices.

Quote:

From what I've read, when it comes to 2D PQ, not much has changed. This is really disappointing especially given how many issues Samsung edge-lit LEDs have had. I was this close to purchasing the UN65C8000 last year until I stumbled on the thread for the set here. The whole thread is almost return after return.

Samsung has become the new Sony as of late. They're completely getting out of hand and I'm just really disappointed because they are my favorite company. I think the C9000 series was a perfect example of that last year as it had a $7000 MSRP but had PQ that was the same and/or actually inferior to sets costing $3000-4000 less. Their B8500 series is still the holy grail of LCDs and that was from 2009. It's ridiculous that their highest end of the highest still can't match it in 2D PQ.

I'm hoping the edge-lit tech will have improved significantly this year, but so far, it seems that the only thing slightly improved is 3D. Unless you count LCD remotes and more apps as "improvement." Personally for me, I already purchased a great Sharp 60" to hold me over for the year. Once the landscape clears for all the sets coming up and the prices drop, that's when I'll make the jump for the 2011 models.

I don't see remotes and more apps as "improvement." I too am looking for PQ. (Although I am a sucker for that lilliputian bezel).

A best buy employee recently told me he might prefer the upcoming D7000 to the D8000 because the microdimming on the 8000 could be at the expense of a "smooth" picture. Although I guess the jury is out - we really don't know how much the new 7000 or 8000 series are improved from last year's models.

Or do we....

I know that reading the specs has disappointed some people in this thread, and their disappointment could be justified based on the sort of things you and others have observed. PQ could be the same or even worse, with price a bigger consideration for Samsung increasing marketshare than PQ.

However, it could be that the D7000 series represents a genuine PQ step forward, but we just don't know it yet, and may even be better than last year's C8000. It could also be the new microdimming on the D8000 is a significant step forward from last year's C8000. I guess we'll know when the sets get out and people can judge for themselves. I truly have no idea, so I don't want to suggest that I do in any way.

I think my inclination is to wait, only because I've waited this long and the current series is not something special and perishable (as the Kuro was). I just hope the new sets drop in the near future, that PQ is improved (who really cares about remotes?!), and that reputable stores become rabidly competitive so that astronomical MSRPs have earthly alternatives.
post #281 of 1817 Old 02-05-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:

If the difference is $500 on a 46" 7000 or 8000, that seems a reasonable premium for the next generation. $1,000 seems a little steep at that size. I would like to buy a TV set from a somewhat reputable dealer as well, which means foregoing the lowest available prices.

Unless you need financing I don't see why any dealer would stand above another. Especially when it comes to a brand new TV. No I am not going to buy from the shadiest place online but I am definitely going to avoid the big box retailers to get a better price.

Quote:

A best buy employee recently told me he might prefer the upcoming D7000 to the D8000 because the microdimming on the 8000 could be at the expense of a "smooth" picture. Although I guess the jury is out - we really don't know how much the new 7000 or 8000 series are improved from last year's models.

Most Best Buy Employees know nothing and this statement continues to confirm that. I recently helped a neighbor buy a TV at best buy and had to constantly act as the BS detector because they will say any and everything to get you to buy there and have little to no product knowledge.
post #282 of 1817 Old 02-05-2011, 05:14 PM

HamsterFace, it sounds like you definitely should just wait. Whatever set you buy, I'm sure you'll be blown away given your current setup. Also, like I said, the higher end the set, the more you end up saving. Since you seem to be looking for something mid-tier, your savings between last year's models versus this year's will be very small once the newer sets do trickle in. So you might as well just go for the newer models.

I would say even give it a month or two after release. Let the reviews and early adopters give their impressions and make your decision from there. You're always going to have the most choices in the 32"-46" range. This also helps you because since those are the mainstream sets, prices will always be competitive and you'll find deals much sooner than the highest end sets.
post #283 of 1817 Old 02-05-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjustice View Post

Unless you need financing I don't see why any dealer would stand above another. Especially when it comes to a brand new TV. No I am not going to buy from the shadiest place online but I am definitely going to avoid the big box retailers to get a better price.

Most Best Buy Employees know nothing and this statement continues to confirm that. I recently helped a neighbor buy a TV at best buy and had to constantly act as the BS detector because they will say any and everything to get you to buy there and have little to no product knowledge.

The problem with purchasing from smaller authorized dealers is because their return policy on anything above 32" is usually non-existent. And if they do have a return policy it typically carries with it a high 10-15% restocking fee. 10-15% of $1000 is already $100-150.

They'll be more helpful and knowledgeable than places like BB and Target, I agree. But every place has a few dishonest and terrible sales rep no matter where you go. For someone like me who is not a novice to HDTV purchasing, I purchase from everywhere. As I mentioned in another thread, I've purchased 6 HDTVs from non-authorized dealers in the last 5 years.

However for a novice HDTV purchaser, having the no-hassle return policy of B&M stores like Amazon, Wal-Mart, Target, BB, etc. is something that I would not advise anyone to do without who are not knowledgeable in HDTV purchasing. Unless of course you are very confident in your research and eventual choice of an HDTV.

Additionally, if the buyer goes for the newer sets, it's going to be MSRP almost everywhere until November/December when the wheels start rolling again for good deals.
post #284 of 1817 Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Price cuts start less than one month after the new models come out, that is the best time to grab one.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #285 of 1817 Old 02-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
amazon doesnt charge tax or delivery either.

they do charge tax in ny and cali though i think. its where i bought my c8000 and everything went great. ordered two 32 inch samsungs from them as well over the years and those orders went great.
post #286 of 1817 Old 02-06-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL View Post

amazon doesnt charge tax or delivery either.

they do charge tax in ny and cali though i think. its where i bought my c8000 and everything went great. ordered two 32 inch samsungs from them as well over the years and those orders went great.

They charge me tax on everything I've ever ordered from them. I suppose it really depends on if you're buying direct form amazon or one of amazons vendors if they charge tax or not.
post #287 of 1817 Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

amazon charges tax in Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, or Washington.

NY used to be tax free up until 2 or 3 years ago, and is now fighting with the gov. to have the law overturned.

i've shopped there less since they started taxing.
post #288 of 1817 Old 02-06-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys, I am looking for something around 58" as that's the max I can put int Living Room. Looks like my only option in that price is a plasma. Is that correct? 2010 or 2011. Wouldn't preferred a LED LCD but seems I have no choice. Or did I miss anything?
Most folks here prefer LED or plasma?
post #289 of 1817 Old 02-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallu2u
Guys, I am looking for something around 58" as that's the max I can put int Living Room. Looks like my only option in that price is a plasma. Is that correct? 2010 or 2011. Wouldn't preferred a LED LCD but seems I have no choice. Or did I miss anything?
You may be able to do this years 60" led. With the bezel being so thin you might be able to fit it in the same space of a 58" plasma. Might be worth waiting until the specs come out to see
post #290 of 1817 Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjustice View Post

You may be able to do this years 60" led. With the bezel being so thin you might be able to fit it in the same space of a 58" plasma. Might be worth waiting until the specs come out to see

Thanks for the reply. Will await the specs. Else will just get a 58" plasma or c8000 led when prices come down. Maybe March?
post #291 of 1817 Old 02-08-2011, 03:12 PM

How much do you think the UN40D8000 will cost?
post #292 of 1817 Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 PM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcent123 View Post

How much do you think the UN40D8000 will cost?

Probably around $1500 for the 40 inch model to start. That's what I've seen.
post #293 of 1817 Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

more like $2k.
post #294 of 1817 Old 02-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'm in the market for a 60" to go into an already existing wall unit that gives me an opening of 54"W x 39"H , and there is an additional three inches behind the decorative framing. When I built this unit six years ago I did so with the 60" screen in mind, but I have had a JVC 56" rear pro in there all this time. I love the no-bezel look and will probably end up with either a plazma or LCD (back-lit), whichever one comes closest to the "all picture" ideal.

I have always preferred the look of plazma but my room has lots of windows is very bright during the daytime with lots of opportunities for reflections. This makes me lean toward the D8000 over the 59" plazma model...can't recall...but the question that I have is with regard to the difference in brightness of these two sets. How much brighter will the LCD set be in comparison to the newest plazma sets which claim to be brighter that their previous versions with higher contrast numbers and better anti-reflection coatings. Any of you much better informed persons than I care to offer advice? Would be much appreciated!
post #295 of 1817 Old 02-09-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Led TVs are tons brighter then any plasma, but don't think you can't enjoy a plasma in a brightly lit room. Reflections happen on both lcd n plasma, I'm more of an LCD Guy but have nothing against plasma. I have the c8000 led, my living room has windows on every corner, the only time reflections are any issue is if you're watching a dark movie like Harry Potter. I recommend getting whatever TV you want and invest in some curtains.
post #296 of 1817 Old 02-09-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallu2u View Post

If it isn't a local dimming led vs plasma. Then no. There is no PQ benefit to an edge lit led set. You basically pay for a thin set. although that's years C8000 looked pretty dam good. I'd still pick a VT25 plasma over it for about the same price. Once you own a local dimming led set. You can't go back to anything other then that or plasma.
post #297 of 1817 Old 02-09-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

If it isn't a local dimming led vs plasma. Then no. There is no PQ benefit to an edge lit led set. You basically pay for a thin set. although that's years C8000 looked pretty dam good. I'd still pick a VT25 plasma over it for about the same price. Once you own a local dimming led set. You can't go back to anything other then that or plasma.

Agreed, My XBR8 is getting older but I havent seen anything yet to make me justify spending the money on a new set. I really want something at about 55" but none of the new 2011 sets are really standing out right now. Maybe Sony's 929 but im sure that will be at around $4500 and considering I only paid $1950 for my XBR8...

Im hoping LG or Sharp have something good to offer, I'de get a plasma but I've never been much of a fan of them. I wish OLED was cheaper and easier cause I love my Samsung epic...
post #298 of 1817 Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code-Red View Post

Agreed, My XBR8 is getting older but I havent seen anything yet to make me justify spending the money on a new set. I really want something at about 55" but none of the new 2011 sets are really standing out right now. Maybe Sony's 929 but im sure that will be at around $4500 and considering I only paid $1950 for my XBR8...

Im hoping LG or Sharp have something good to offer, I'de get a plasma but I've never been much of a fan of them. I wish OLED was cheaper and easier cause I love my Samsung epic...

Believe it or not. The VIZIO Local dimming LED sets seem to be worth every penny. It even out does the Sony 909 at a quarter of the price.
post #299 of 1817 Old 02-10-2011, 06:30 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallu2u View Post

The thing I think could be a factor in your decision is if any of your viewing will be from much of an angle in your living room. I have a new 50" Panasonic plasma and a new 40" Samsung led. Both are very bright and have a great picture. The Panasonic is in my study and is at about a 60 degree angle from my desk. When I view it from that angle it doesn't loose any of it's quality(to me). The LED is in another room and if I view it from that angle there is a noticable loss of picture quality. Might be something to consider.
post #300 of 1817 Old 02-10-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb View Post
The thing I think could be a factor in your decision is if any of your viewing will be from much of an angle in your living room. I have a new 50" Panasonic plasma and a new 40" Samsung led. Both are very bright and have a great picture. The Panasonic is in my study and is at about a 60 degree angle from my desk. When I view it from that angle it doesn't loose any of it's quality(to me). The LED is in another room and if I view it from that angle there is a noticable loss of picture quality. Might be something to consider.
In a similar respect it also might depend on how dark you can keep the room. From everything I have heard a plasma can quickly become trash in a room with a lot of windows like a family room. This is my main reason for shying away from plasma since I have 6 windows in my family room that we like to have open and have sun coming in during the day. Still would like to have a usable TV during that time too.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays