LG 2011 HDTV LCD Lineup - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1173 Old 07-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can you post pics of the touch control buttons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1173 Old 07-22-2011, 02:48 AM

Liked: 12
The bezel is beautiful. However, it is not bronze. It is a matte (i guess that's the term) silver finish with the slightest, slightest, slightest hint of bronze. I think it's the light that brings it out in the pic. This set would look great on a wall.

@Shingdaz,

Well this set is not the LEX8. I had that set as well and had a bad experience back in February. There is a post about it on here somewhere. Long story short I switched to the LW5700 passive 3D set (hated it! Sold it!) and have thankfully got the LZ9600 (upgrade to the LEX8). Massive upgrade as well. All issues addressed and fixed. ^^

I'm not Korean but do reside in Korea. I think this set is only available on the East pacific rim. Shame it's not available in Europe or NA. It truly is beautiful.

Gaming:

Shingdaz, I'm a HUGE gamer! I buy TV's primarily to game. (I'm AWESOME at BFBC2 and @#$%^ing terrible at COD!) The problem is that I'm one of those guys who cannot tell if there is gaming lag or not. I was unaware of it until I joined the AVS forums. I don't have equipment to test the lag. I do not have guitar hero either. Do you know of any techniques to check gaming lag? I sometimes "shoot" and see if there is a delay. I don't see any really, but then again we're talking milliseconds. Sadly, if I had to guess i think there is some lag, but honestly i really don't know.

@ Phase700B

I know pics really serve no purpose. There is so much to take into account. You really just need a good return policy as lighting, idiosyncratic tv issues, and calibration all take into effect when judging a tv's picture quality. However, i post pics because when i was looking for a set i always liked to see pics of sets and their "picture quality" posted. It's good to see people sharing the love (or hate ^^) I mean, that's why we all frequent these forums. We all share a passion for this stuff. ^^

@jmj21grams

Will replicate Wall-E lighting and take pics of regular movies. I got IRobot. That will look great ^^
post #723 of 1173 Old 07-22-2011, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

OK so this is not the LEX8, what sort of problems did you have with the LEX8 model?

The LZ9600 has touch controls as well? From your pics it looks like it.
post #724 of 1173 Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingdaz View Post

OK so this is not the LEX8, what sort of problems did you have with the LEX8 model?

The LZ9600 has touch controls as well? From your pics it looks like it.

I think there are pics in this thread with my LEX8 problems. Not sure.

What do you mean by touch controls, sorry?
post #725 of 1173 Old 07-22-2011, 08:18 AM

Liked: 10
Thank you
post #726 of 1173 Old 07-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Cold View Post

I think there are pics in this thread with my LEX8 problems. Not sure.

What do you mean by touch controls, sorry?

* Looked for the thread > only found your thread that states you just bought one.

* What where your problems with the LEX8?
post #727 of 1173 Old 07-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Ok

* I found your posted thread> you seem to be having flashlight issues with the LEX8 Is that correct? What else happened?.
  • Thinking about going plasma. Want to get rid of flashlighting in the corners of my current lcd.
Everyone seems to agree that plasma gives the best picture and when I used to sell this stuff Pansonic and pioneer plasmas did. However, I can't help but see a milkiness to the pictures on plasmas. I live in Korea so Pioneer and Panasonic are out of the question. Is this a daytime thing? I've never seen a plasma viewed in the evening or by ordinary house lighting. Even in the Samsung 7000 review on cnet the picture looks terribly milky. I was just down at the local Samsung store and it's the same (settings jacked).
They tend to look dull.

Thoughts?

Just want to exchange my current LEX8 (a whole other story). Have fun with those whoever is buying.
post #728 of 1173 Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 AM

The LEX8 in 2D was amazing. Same as my lz9600 now. However, in 3D mode it did not do full array local dimming. It went edge lit. There was horrible light coming from the sides of the screen. Big blobs of it in the corners. With the lz9600 they addressed those issues. Full array in 3d now. + it's a smart tv now (which i do not use cause all the apps are korean and suck!). Here is the link to the post with pics of badf LEX8. Looking back now it seems worse than before. Man, that's bad!!! http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1304396&page=7

here are some pics of the LZ9600 playing "I Robot" (this is optimal settings in a dark room. Backlight at 25/100):
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #729 of 1173 Old 07-22-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingdaz View Post

* EDIT: Just realized the video itself, I actually think it's showing the New model 9800 LED, Only being released in Canada? When I spoke with LG U.S. it won't be released in U.S.

Can anyone comment on this? Oh man, that would suck if we don't get the LW9800 here.
post #730 of 1173 Old 07-22-2011, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The lw9800 will be release in the US, I have been told many times by an LG representative

Emmat2011
post #731 of 1173 Old 07-22-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:

The LEX8 in 2D was amazing. Same as my lz9600 now. However, in 3D mode it did not do full array local dimming. It went edge lit. There was horrible light coming from the sides of the screen. Big blobs of it in the corners. With the lz9600 they addressed those issues. Full array in 3d now. + it's a smart tv now (which i do not use cause all the apps are korean and suck!). Here is the link to the post with pics of badf LEX8. Looking back now it seems worse than before. Man, that's bad!!! http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1304396&page=7

here are some pics of the LZ9600 playing "I Robot" (this is optimal settings in a dark room. Backlight at 25/100):

you are amazing to make this effort with the pictures and the back link! What a comparison! In blacks and uniformity of light issues to your lz9800 panel. After that panel, other then 2d you liked and your issues with your 1st passive panel with the lightbleed and " sucky) 2d ( in comparison to your lex8) you are one loyal lg fan. I am hoping for, in the lw 9800 what you found on th lex8 in 2d married to the picture of the Lw6500 passive 3d ( with the new 1080i algorithms ) with your lz9800 vivid color, contast and inky blacks,as shown in your "eye candy") pictures, together on the new, nano full array local dimming panel, both excellent 2d and excellent 3d.. on the lw9800.. panel. thank you again tapiocacold for being so generous in time and effort. I suppose you are already saving for the 55" oled, the head honcho, stated "will be a production model " next year 2012 "not just a trade show prototype" hopefully before the "mayan calendar" big day. what was it? 1221 2012? Jmj. for those that understand.
post #732 of 1173 Old 07-22-2011, 01:47 PM

Liked: 24
It's important to note that LG makes different models or even configurations of TV models for many countries. Even some Canadian models were different or appeared as a different model in the U.S. last year, let alone Asian or Euro models. The same is true this year.

It may be best to start a thread FOR U.S. Models only or for NON U.S. Models only. This causes much confusion when comparing features, resolving issues, discussing settings, etc.

So, just a heads up. Any discussion in this thread so far, may not apply to 2011 U.S. Model TVs.
post #733 of 1173 Old 07-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

This thread seems to be mostly based on the LEX8> which happens to be only available in Korea> since the Unit I'm looking into purchasing on E-bay is only available in Korea, and is not sold anywhere in north america online or retail. And happens to be the only set in LG's 2011 lineup with the latest 2011 technology (NANO/Local dimming/infinia slim bezel)

* Well, I'm slightly disapointed about the slight 2D backlight bleed on this set, even with local dimming enabled etc. The 3D backlight bleed is henious and awfull cluster**** problem that shouldn't exist with backlit Nano dispersion technology etc.

* http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...3&d=1299189682

It's also disappointing to hear that Local Dimming does not work when Gaming or when playing games> which sort of is another major issue, during dark scenes.

My LG scarlet has back-light bleed when viewing from any angle past full front view, basiclaly when it's dark you can see all 4 corners of the panel itself glowing ( when viewing it a any angle)...but the trade off is that NO MOVIE is consistently dark from beginning to end, and Movies are mostly fully lit, this is where IPS technology sparkles, because I can view my set from any sharp angle and the picture's color and detail doesn't blurr ,dimm or fade at all...simply amazing.

The LG 3D set I tested at Best Buy locally is in no way fatiguing as with active shutter nor any observable ghosting, nor is it perceived optically that there is resolution loss at all, IMO impersevable. LG has the better technology than samsung...have you seen the test scores of other TV's compared to any LG TV model? LG's LCD sets practically score better, except for black level contrast.

* The only new set for 2011 from LG is the LX9800. And from what it looks like...the screen is not matt black...but will have to see it up close to finally decide is they've figured out all the issues from their previous sets, if they come out with a larger screen size than 55" then that would be a plus +. But again as an individual the MOST important aspect of any HDTV set is the bezel, if it's glossy black, it's not on my list of purchase. Can you see a salesman trying to sell you a glossy black HDTV?> what does he tell you to convince you to buy, " look how well the bezel reflects you?" Thats like turning off the TV to avoid clouding or backlight bleed only to have to be annoyed by the reflective surface of the bezel itself?!...I have contemplated masking the bezel on my LG set with adhesive vinyl just to get rid of how glossy and reflective it is.
post #734 of 1173 Old 07-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Is the LZ9600 glossy?

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #735 of 1173 Old 07-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

Is the LZ9600 glossy?

I think from the pictures, this is the set I saw at best buy that I viewed in 3D...it has matt Bezel or flat non reflective bezel and half brushed metal...both non glossy> but only available @ 47" size ( I believe)
post #736 of 1173 Old 07-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Pics. Daytime. Sunlight streaming in. Not as bad as pictures show. Thank god for matte. If it was glossy those reflections would be terrible.

Not gonna lie. Love my set, but to all you folks out there with fingers crossed about banding you will be disappointed. You will see banding. Mostly horizontal. I see no clouding and no flashlighting. Blooming is inherent with this technology and not bothersome, but there as well.

Oh I see. Not glossy.

BUT: I am disappointed about the banding and the blooming. Wasn't "Nano" developed to kill those faults?

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #737 of 1173 Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh I see. Not glossy.

BUT: I am disappointed about the banding and the blooming. Wasn't "Nano" developed to kill those faults?

This technology should work out of the box, they've must of cut corners on IPS panel or something on the LEX8 model...never seen a backlit local dim set show the attributes of a ccf bulb corner flashlight that can cause the screen to become so transparent...rediculous!

I've been in contact with a Korean Seller on E-bay> they apparently still have a supplier for the 55LEX8 model @ 55"...I wonder if the 55" is plagued by these problems as well, or was it only limited to the 47" models? * Someone is : either still making these sets in Korea, or have a built up supply of them at a warehouse somewhere?
post #738 of 1173 Old 07-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

I could get the 55" LEX8 here in germany too - appearently we people over here only get the 980S afterwards, which will be glossy.

Does anybody know, if the Sony HX929 or the Toshiba ZL1 will exhibit less blooming than the LEX8 (and no banding)?

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #739 of 1173 Old 07-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Any discussion in this thread so far, may not apply to 2011 U.S. Model TVs.

Grossly overgeneralized!

We qualify the features and functions of the 2011 models and their variants as they are released throughout the world. There is no need to have a country-specific thread. This is an international forum. We can deal with the specific feature sets in the "official models" thread(s). There is no need to dumb down this thread.

-nony
post #740 of 1173 Old 07-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I could get the 55" LEX8 here in germany too -

Of course you can. The 47/55LEX8s are currently available in over 20 countries (mainly in Europe). And there are plenty of professional and user reviews on the net.

-nony
post #741 of 1173 Old 07-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nony View Post

Grossly overgeneralized!

We qualify the features and functions of the 2011 models and their variants as they are released throughout the world. There is no need to have a country-specific thread. This is an international forum. We can deal with the specific feature sets in the "official models" thread(s). There is no need to dumb down this thread.

-nony

+1. Free exchange of information (Correct ) seem's to be a stimulus for learning and adjusted choice. Would seem to negate confusion ? tho, perhaps boring to those already in the " know" l, for one, appreciate those/these international points of 'review on lg' panels and 2011 technology advances, in the 2011 lineup.
post #742 of 1173 Old 07-24-2011, 07:34 PM

It sure looks like the original poster of this thread ( Post #1) was only posting about U.S. models. And other threads of this type combining "world" models and U.S. models has resulted in nothing but confusion. More people than not will be confused regarding model numbers, features, specifications, etc. [/i]

I feel my opinion and observations are as valid as the next person.
post #743 of 1173 Old 07-25-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

It sure looks like the original poster of this thread ( Post #1) was only posting about U.S. models. And other threads of this type combining "world" models and U.S. models has resulted in nothing but confusion. More people than not will be confused regarding model numbers, features, specifications, etc. [/i]

I feel my opinion and observations are as valid as the next person.

Phase,

Your opinions are welcome, but come on, man. Don't be such a downer. We're just talking TV's. That's all.

I can list pretty much all the TV's on the market now. Plus their strengths, weaknesses and prices. Is it really that confusing? it's the same in the Sony Thread.

2011. Global community FTW!
post #744 of 1173 Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 204
post #745 of 1173 Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Very nice. Now, can we get those specs on a 65"+ model PLEASE.
post #746 of 1173 Old 07-26-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nony View Post

Of course you can. The 47/55LEX8s are currently available in over 20 countries (mainly in Europe). And there are plenty of professional and user reviews on the net.

-nony

hey nony, reading your response, please answer a question? If I was to purchase a European or Asian ( korean ) panel, would I be able to use it here in the united states? I believe some type of power conversion, would be necessary? I was thinking more on the lines of our 60/120hz to their 50/100hz, european. As for Asian electrical needs, I don't know? Would the 50/120hz etc, and other electronics of the panel work here in n.a.? Thank you, nony... phase700B?, speculvestor?, any one who might understand the electronics and principle of what I might not be phrasing correctly? Ps of the reviews you mention, of the lg lex8, I don't recall any of the 5 to 7 reviews, I read, having less then excellent, in their review language of the lab specs and visceral reaction, to this highly regarded, in picture quality, panel. Might be why so many knowledgeable people and videophlles on this forum are so eagerly awaiting the nano, lw9800 ? ( eu lw 980t) if you knew?....Thank you again for the above questions.
post #747 of 1173 Old 07-26-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj21grams View Post

hey nony, reading your response, please answer a question? If I was to purchase a European or Asian ( korean ) panel, would I be able to use it here in the united states? I believe some type of power conversion, would be necessary? I was thinking more on the lines of our 60/120hz to their 50/100hz, european. As for Asian electrical needs, I don't know? Would the 50/120hz etc, and other electronics of the panel work here in n.a.? Thank you, nony... phase700B?, speculvestor?, any one who might understand the electronics and principle of what I might not be phrasing correctly? Ps of the reviews you mention, of the lg lex8, I don't recall any of the 5 to 7 reviews, I read, having less then excellent, in their review language of the lab specs and visceral reaction, to this highly regarded, in picture quality, panel. Might be why so many knowledgeable people and videophlles on this forum are so eagerly awaiting the nano, lw9800 ? ( eu lw 980t) if you knew?....Thank you again for the above questions.

Don't forget systems built for Europe are designed for 50HZ - North America - 60HZ
post #748 of 1173 Old 07-26-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Commonwealth or European legacy countries uses PAL while most others uses NTSC. It has nothing to do with the panel or LCM but the backend tuner/electronics. I think most Asian sets can do both (otherwise watching Hollywood will be an issue) but not so for NTSC TV.
post #749 of 1173 Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post

Commonwealth or European legacy countries uses PAL while most others uses NTSC. It has nothing to do with the panel or LCM but the backend tuner/electronics. I think most Asian sets can do both (otherwise watching Hollywood will be an issue) but not so for NTSC TV.

thank you.. sorry l misspelled your forum name... please, elaborate, on " Hollywood issues? " Regards.. jmj ..for those that understand.
post #750 of 1173 Old 07-27-2011, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hollywood is on 60Hz pull down ie NTSC or 24fps. This is the biggest movie market so you have to cater to it (though Bollywood is the biggest in terms of volume ) even if you are PAL based. Even in HD standard you only see 24p and not 25p (though BBC seemed to be trying to do 25p)

Same logic why China can have a proprietory nowhere-else 3G standard ie TDSCDMA because they are the largest mobile market. Or why manufacturers are afraid of ITC because a ban will halt their access to the largest market. Bigger speaks louder

PS I think you need a transformer... check the electrical specs
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page