Official 70"+ LCD thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1421 Old 04-09-2011, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This whole thread became an arguement about whether ppl want big or not. Lots of good points were made to argue both.

I lean towards thinking ppl do want bigger. I know I do. Its just a matter of price. And psychology plays a role as has been mentioned. Ppl want the middle ground or just below biggest. 70" is now biggest lcd so that scares some ppl and they will want 65 instead.

65"+ were aplenty with DLP's but then things got smaller with 55" being the largest most led lcd manufacturers (like samsung and LG) were/are making. Even now the only 65" led lcd let alone 3d is the sam 65C8000 which is still hard to find. 65D8000 not released with no eta.

Sharp 70" rare and low quantities (besides one of my local best buy saying they have 200 in their warehouse which even if that feeds several BB stores, I have trouble believing because noone has even mentioned that BB has this set p and last we saw BB removed it from their site amd still isnt back on it)
And 732 is not 3d.

LG scraps the 72" from us market. So sharp is our only hope?

I will tell you right now 65" is too small for me to wall mount in the room I have it in, because that puts it back another 3-4 feet (and i'll get exact measurement as an example, but the sofa isn't far and is actually closer then it was at our previous otherwise smaller house). As it was 65" was a 2" downgrade from 67" 3d ready led dlp. Good thing I never went with a larger then 67" mitsu dlp or I'd be waiting even longer for flat screen to catch up.

As it is im thinking of giving up 3d and just get one of these 70" sharps myself or buy my moms and give her my 61 or 67" led dlp if she thinks 70 is too big for her but meantime I'm glad I convinced her to get the sharp 70" so I can check it out and hold me off till the full array local dimming 3d 935 comes out. So i csn finally have a tv in fsm room big enough to wall mount to keep away from the kids from touching or g-d forbid pulling down on themselves.

One store tried to sell my mom on a 54" plasma. She has a big room withlots of daylight from windows etc and while most seating isnt far there is even it isnt any closer then mine and there is even further viewing from the mitchen and all (like mine). Thats where bigger is better when it can still be viewed from further away in the kitchen. Plasma would have been too dim for her room. Led lcd is much better for her room and I woukd have just gotten her a 55" samsung led lcd but tbose are so common. She did like the 60" sharp and pictured looked crisp & bright and I agreed but there was no 70" on display and they wouldnt set it up. Hopefully the 70" is as good as the 60" sharp. I dont think my mom will feel its too big. She doesnt need 3d so its good for her. My parents have had as big as a 60-65" (i think) rear projection so a relatively thin/light 70" led/lcd is going to seem smaller. Samsung's super tbin bezel really makes the 55" seem like a 42" or smaller so Im surprised tnry dont get out the 65D or even the rumoured 75" which I agree we wont see till late 2012 if then.

Eta on the Sharp 70" 935?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1421 Old 04-10-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

We are still in a recession so people are not as free with their money as they might be.

The issue is not money. It is about aesthetical preferences

Quote:

There are a lot dlp rear projectors out there in service larger than 70". Some are legacy, some quite new. In 2011 73" will be the smallest set Mits will sell. I have owned a number of rear projectors Sammy, HP, Mits at 56", 65", 72", my current main set is 82". I sit 14" feet away and will be going to a 92" later this year. 24K posts does not make you the world expert on what is or should be. Before you go on a big anti-rear projection rant, I own all kinds of displays, plasma, led, lcd and dlp. The dlps always end up being my primary as they are they seem to always be the only technology in what I consider a reasonable size that working class stiffs can afford.

Your personal attitude can not be taken for the market as a whole. Projector market is miniscule comparing to the whole.

The core issue here is if mass people have aestethical preference for TV set with size limited not to be dominating their living rooms.

In any case, Sharp should have phenomenal succes with the 70" since according the claims there are lots of people who were
dreaming about huge TV but the price was too high. Now they all should be buying 70 inchers. I am thinking 70" will be niche product

irkuck
post #453 of 1421 Old 04-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:
We are still in a recession so people are not as free with their money as they might be.

Interesting. If there are not enough large small form factor sets available then it is about money because the ones that area available are more expensive.

It's not possible to take money out of the equation just like it's not possible to take availability out of the equation.

The bottom line is that until the sets are available we can only speculate. We have never seen a plethora of available, affordable, 70" + thin panels so stating that consumers are primarily concerned about aesthetics is attempting to define a market that does not even exist yet.
post #454 of 1421 Old 04-10-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

If best buy does in fact have tons of the sharp LC-70le32u then maybe thst is a good sign thst the 935 is not far off. Does it take them thst long to just add 3d and full local dimming to what is otherwise the same tv?

Is there also going to be an 835 series 70"?
post #455 of 1421 Old 04-10-2011, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post

We have never seen a plethora of available, affordable, 70" + thin panels so stating that consumers are primarily concerned about aesthetics is attempting to define a market that does not even exist yet.

That is one of the best points that has ever been stated in this thread. Many in here want to define a larger displays success in relation to its sales numbers when compared to say, a 50 or 55" display and when it doesn't it gets defined as a niche product. Is a large DLP still a niche product? They have been around for quite while now...would it be fair to call it a successful niche product. Looking down the road if quanity is available wouldn't you guess that a 70" flat screen will do at least as well in sales as DLP that has 5 times the footprint?
post #456 of 1421 Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

The core issue here is if mass people have aestethical preference for TV set with size limited not to be dominating their living rooms.

It's about BOTH aesthetics and cost, and they are not mutually exclusive decisions ie one will give up some aesthetics for lower price and vice versa. If only aesthetics is consideration then people would have all flocked to get HDTV plasma TV 10 years ago when they were out at 42" for $10k.

Is a 60" TV that less dominating on a wall vs say 70"? There is big difference in real estate when you have a say 2' deep CRT or DLP vs a 2" HDTV... but on ONE wall? I would think a surround sound setup is much more intrusive.
post #457 of 1421 Old 04-10-2011, 10:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 591
"Is a 60" TV that less dominating on a wall vs say 70"?"

Yes.

There were also comments about the bigger DLPs and how big they were. It should be noted that the annual market for all projection TVs was never much above 4 million units total. Even when projection dominated, the 65-inch-and-up sets were moving only about 500k units annually.

And, Spec, I'm not offended, but when I point out that even 4 years from now these TVs that supposedly "everyone wants" (according to a lot of people here) won't comprise more than 10% of the market, that's important. They are already affordable. They are more or less generally available (Sharp + Panasonic). They are not exactly taking the market by storm.

I will say that it's true that it's possible that 70-inch TVs will reach $2k. I don't agree Sharp is "mis-pricing" but they are certainly doing something that Samsung can't currently do, nor LG. They are certainly forgoing some amount of margin for some attempt at market leadership / market share (not the same thing, but they are seeking both).

I generally believe that the smaller sizes of LCD are unlikely to ever sell for much less than they do now -- as I've stated -- but until the larger sizes are selling for the same per cm2 + maybe a small size premium, the larger sizes have way to come down. We'll see how far that is. I am less sanguine 70-inch LCDs will be $2000 anytime soon if ever. I am more sanguine that everyone will be able to do what Sharp is doing now. (Note: I saw the Sharp this weekend, comments in one of the Sharp threads).

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #458 of 1421 Old 04-11-2011, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

DLP took up real estate and projectors were too troublesome IMHO. On a similar note this is why I think 5.1 doesn't pick up either: they took up real estate and are troublesome (HTiB is a good example of minimising the "troublesome" factor). I think half of those consumers who use so-call 5.1 have their speakers all at the front anyway. They are more like soundbar users. I think soundbars are fantastic commercial idea for consumers with minimal fuss and better perceived quality. Made a lot of sense and funny why it didn't come earlier and why 3.1 is not prevalent even now, considering the importance of centre channel, though I'm pretty sure it will come to pass because it is perceivable. The key is that trends are set by PERCEIVED absolute advantage. (and when marketing decides to trumpet it)

The point I am trying to drive is that we should not be looking at whether 70" will hit 5% or 10% market next 12 months. But rather that their market share will exceed DLP or projectors. That will be a major watershed because it means 70" flat panel TV does have perceived absolute advantage over more "traditional" DLP or projectors, and HENCE people's adverseness to huge TV is more than size, but also aesthetic, real estate, complexity, etc. On the other hand pricing of the ALTERNATIVES are the main reason why the 85" plasma is not sold in volume yet. I'm not sure >$3k is considered affordable in US but every $1k step seemed to be able to drive demand anecdotally. Maybe $2999 sounds way cheaper than $3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post

There are other obvious reasons. Human greed and following the Joneses psyche is what I observe as common across cultures, if they can afford it and it's not too inconvenient, and there's no rules against it

BTW all the best hunting for your TV... watch those noses
post #459 of 1421 Old 04-11-2011, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I will say that it's true that it's possible that 70-inch TVs will reach $2k. I don't agree Sharp is "mis-pricing" but they are certainly doing something that Samsung can't currently do, nor LG. They are certainly forgoing some amount of margin for some attempt at market leadership / market share (not the same thing, but they are seeking both).

The barrier here is staggering cost of 10G plants. Samsung and LG balked, Samsung was once considering 11G plant but no decision was made during heydays of economy so it is even less likely now. Sharp took the risk and apparently wants to build more 10G in China. Maybe one of the reasons is almost zero interest rate on loans in Japan which they can secure.

According to those who claim aestethics factor is minor and masses will buy 70" if the price is low, Sharp should have gigantic success with the 70". Runaway sales will drive prices soon into $2.5K which will fuel more sales, stealing the market from 60" and 65". I tend to think this will not happen. Only those who were longing for big will buy, a niche market.

irkuck
post #460 of 1421 Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

The barrier here is staggering cost of 10G plants. Samsung and LG balked, Samsung was once considering 11G plant but no decision was made during heydays of economy so it is even less likely now. Sharp took the risk and apparently wants to build more 10G in China. Maybe one of the reasons is almost zero interest rate on loans in Japan which they can secure.

According to those who claim aestethics factor is minor and masses will buy 70" if the price is low, Sharp should have gigantic success with the 70". Runaway sales will drive prices soon into $2.5K which will fuel more sales, stealing the market from 60" and 65". I tend to think this will not happen. Only those who were longing for big will buy, a niche market.

You talk in the previous paragraph about the staggering cost of plants and how only one company has them then in the second paragraph make assumptions about a large supply from a single supplier creating economies of scale. I don't know how you expect anyone to take that seriously. I'm guessing it may be a language barrier issue though.

Also, the way Rogo steered the conversation towards aesthetics focused on the front pane of glass IMO. I contend that aesthetics also includes the depth of the set which creates options for where the set is installed.

Quote:

DLP took up real estate and projectors were too troublesome IMHO. On a similar note this is why I think 5.1 doesn't pick up either: they took up real estate and are troublesome (HTiB is a good example of minimising the "troublesome" factor). I think half of those consumers who use so-call 5.1 have their speakers all at the front anyway. They are more like soundbar users. I think soundbars are fantastic commercial idea for consumers with minimal fuss and better perceived quality. Made a lot of sense and funny why it didn't come earlier and why 3.1 is not prevalent even now, considering the importance of center channel, though I'm pretty sure it will come to pass because it is perceivable. The key is that trends are set by PERCEIVED absolute advantage. (and when marketing decides to trumpet it)

The point I am trying to drive is that we should not be looking at whether 70" will hit 5% or 10% market next 12 months. But rather that their market share will exceed DLP or projectors. That will be a major watershed because it means 70" flat panel TV does have perceived absolute advantage over more "traditional" DLP or projectors, and HENCE people's adverseness to huge TV is more than size, but also aesthetic, real estate, complexity, etc. On the other hand pricing of the ALTERNATIVES are the main reason why the 85" plasma is not sold in volume yet. I'm not sure >$3k is considered affordable in US but every $1k step seemed to be able to drive demand anecdotally. Maybe $2999 sounds way cheaper than $3100

Specuvestor nailed it here. I've been running 2.1 forever and have the center in my cabinet that is not connected. 3.1 would be fantastic. A pre-pro with 3.1, HDMI pass-through would be all most would need.

I think this is a much better and more useful metric for how the market shakes out than grinding on the subjective aesthetics discussion: " But rather that their market share will exceed DLP or projectors."

I'm not sure if you may have meant DLP and Projectors but I suppose that flat panel sales exceeding either DLP or Projectors may demonstrate that large flat panel displays have become the source of choice for the large format in home crowd.

Small point of clarification since I do not follow the projector market being as they are too inconvenient for my purposes. When looking at projectors being used for Home Entertainment purposes are business projector numbers subtracted from the total?
post #461 of 1421 Old 04-11-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"I contend that aesthetics also includes the depth of the set which creates options for where the set is installed."

Sure, and in some rooms this is paramount. For ages, I argued that the attempt to make 7-inch-thick DLP TVs was pointless. No one would ever consider them flat panels or mount them on a wall in a house with a woman living there. Others saw 7 inch as "only twice as thick" and failed to notice the giant hunk of plastic below the screen. Well, the market vindicated my position.

I'm going to go further and say that I personally think the obsession with even thinner flat panel TVs is pretty silly. If it's on the wall, 3 inches is not much different from 1.5 inches. But, I'm not going to argue that all else being equal, you might as well make them all super thin. It allows even more installations to work and generally is without a downside to those that would live happily with a 3-inch TV. Note, I said "all else being equal" which means price and picture quality. Whether a locally dimmed full-array backlit LCD can be made 1.5 inches thick is TBD in large sizes.

You add some comments on speakers and the like and I'd say that the general lack of sound information on the rear channels (they are often just silent, sometimes they play crowd noise, etc.) makes them anything but a must have for most people. They tend to come to life very unnaturally on a lot of content, which makes them that much odder. Now, I have 5.1 and I like it, but I generally don't waste my time advocating that friends get it "if they're serious about sound". I advocate they get a receiver and real speakers and decide how many they can accommodate (up to a 7.1 system if the room allows).

As for the home projector market, it's generally measured from industry data that includes survey information. There are still people that buy business-class projectors for home use (they find them cheap, they don't know better, etc.) The market is really really small. I suspect even among the AVS user base, it's actually small. I haven't seen recent data, but there has not been evidence projector use is "catching on". It's generally limited to those with dedicated home theaters (a market that is flat-to-declining based on the current situation at CEDIA trade shows), specially crafted multi-purpose rooms, and a small segment of die-hard young males that just want the size, damn the issues or (sometimes) the quality.

It's foolish to dismiss the projector market, but it's equally foolish to suggest it's ever going to get much bigger.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #462 of 1421 Old 04-11-2011, 01:31 PM

Thanks Rogo. Much appreciated.

I've just jumped back into this in the past few months but I have been following this site for years. I find all this endlessly fascinating and have found this discussion to be very constructive and informative.
post #463 of 1421 Old 04-11-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Despite all this bickering about how many people want 70+ TVs, and the cost of giant flat panels of this size, there are a devoted group of people who are all about bang-for-the-buck. Recently you could get a 73 inch DLP RPTV Mitsubishi (73638) for $1200 with free shipping.

There are also a lot of people who don't wall mount their flat panels, so the depth argument isn't as strong as you might think.

From looking at the RPTV section of the Forum, there are some happy campers (and also people who have had problems) with the 73 inch DLP.
post #464 of 1421 Old 04-11-2011, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Despite all this bickering about how many people want 70+ TVs, and the cost of giant flat panels of this size, there are a devoted group of people who are all about bang-for-the-buck. Recently you could get a 73 inch DLP RPTV Mitsubishi (73638) for $1200 with free shipping.

There are also a lot of people who don't wall mount their flat panels, so the depth argument isn't as strong as you might think.

From looking at the RPTV section of the Forum, there are some happy campers (and also people who have had problems) with the 73 inch DLP.

I was recently at Costco while a basketball game was fed to all of their sets from many 37" - 60" LCD's and plasmas, to 60" Sharp and 65" Vizio LEDs, and also a 73" DLP. Everyone was watching the largest LEDs. That is where the public interest is - the largest available LED's. I am fairly confident that when the 70" and larger sets arrive, that the public will finally embrace truly large sets because (hate to make generalizations, but... ) most men like the largest, highest quality picture for sports and movies, and most women like flat screens.
post #465 of 1421 Old 04-11-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Yes, you can get big, cheap, decent DLPs. Now, ask yourself how many DLPs will be sold in America this year. Answer: Fewer than 250,000.

Yes, we don't all wall mount. No that doesn't open us all up to projection sets. The market has overwhelmingly voted no on projection. Virtually every mfr. of RPTVs is no longer making them. Enough said

Quote:

I was recently at Costco while a basketball game was fed to all of their sets from many 37" - 60" LCD's and plasmas, to 60" Sharp and 65" Vizio LEDs, and also a 73" DLP. Everyone was watching the largest LEDs. That is where the public interest is - the largest available LED's

Please. Spare us these kinds of arguments. People in Costco gravitating toward the biggest TVs in Costco says quite frankly nothing about people's preferences for buying them. It just doesn't. Go to my local Ford dealer and the most ogled item on the floor is a classic Mustang. It's pretty much the only thing people walk up to. And yet it's not the thing anyone is buying.

I can go on and on with this for about 100,000 words, but let's again be reminded: The best indication of what people will buy is what people actually do buy.

We will probably keep having this discussion until people stop claiming the world is going to buy 70s and 80s over other sizes or until it actually comes to pass. In the meantime, they don't. And it hasn't.

post #466 of 1421 Old 04-11-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

DLP is less than 0.5% market share of 200m global TV market. I have not seen projectors being listed as a display technology in the past 5 years except once in DisplaySearch report of 0.1% IIRC. I would say it is watershed if 70" crosses 2m sets a year.

The sizes following a normal distribution with mode/mean at about 37". 60" and above is more than 2 standard deviation so <5% market. Made sense when it's almost double the mean.

For huge size to catch on your mode/mean has to shift and I'm hopeful it will hit 40" next 12 months with 50" going mass market at $1k.

My point is that it's not just a question of whether you will buy 70", but also entails the shift of the entire market to larger than 40" for market perception to change and hence statistically make sense for volumes. If 70" hit 2m or 1% market that would be within 3 standard deviation and I would say traction is there, though not guarantee for success. FWIW plasma market share is likely to diminish over the years even though it has about 15% of market.
post #467 of 1421 Old 04-11-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Spec, I would not be surprised to see 70+ take 1% of the market in 2012-2013. We do agree, however, that whatever magic threshold it crosses, that doesn't suddenly mean it will get 10x that share of the market, however.

post #468 of 1421 Old 04-12-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
How are we going to compare sales of 70+ inch LCDs (and plasma, if they appear), to sales of 70+ inch DLPs?

I don't own a DLP and don't expect to buy one, but there is that bang-for-the-buck crowd who are buying the 73 and 82 inch DLPs, with 90 inches coming since Mitsubishi dropped out of the LCD market.
post #469 of 1421 Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Spyboy, the tiny sales of DLP won't go away. But making bigger sizes won't really grow them much either. Physical space constraints are real for a lot of people, nevermind doorway sizes, etc. I suspect by adding 90-inch DLPs Mitsubishi will mostly change their sales mix upwards rather than grow a market a lot of people no longer even know exists.

post #470 of 1421 Old 04-12-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Could I make a request... Can we actually talk about this tv and not about market share and miscellaneous ramblings. No disrespect to anyone but boy do we get off track sometime...
post #471 of 1421 Old 04-12-2011, 05:37 PM

Liked: 11
Do you want "Big picture" or "Big TV"?! I'm sure a lot of people can just get TV closer like for movies etc.It's not a 300 pounds CRT monster!If it's so important for some (for me- definitely) -put it on wheeled stand! -It's not a rocket science! I'm currently typing this on my 100,000 dollars 104" monitor from 12' distance... wait,my bad-make it 2,200 dollars 52" from 6'.- Looks the same to me!
post #472 of 1421 Old 04-12-2011, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Theoretically you are right but practically if that is true then everyone will be content watching PC monitors

I think generally without input from THX or people in this forum most people will be looking to sit around 12' away from the screen. Somehow aesthetically that feels like the right distance and space.
post #473 of 1421 Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Could I make a request... Can we actually talk about this tv and not about market share and miscellaneous ramblings. No disrespect to anyone but boy do we get off track sometime...

We can do whatever you wish, but since the ONLY 70" LCD on the market already has two other threads devoted to it, I'm not sure how this digression is interfering with that conversation.

post #474 of 1421 Old 04-13-2011, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We can do whatever you wish, but since the ONLY 70" LCD on the market already has two other threads devoted to it, I'm not sure how this digression is interfering with that conversation.
I agree, this is general 70"+ thread and all related aspects are allowed. There is a separate thread about the 70" Sharp instantiation of 70"+.

Sharp 70 incher should have considerable impact on the market. It will press on prices of the current top size 65" LCD and plasmas. This in turn will press on prices of smaller sizes. Sharp 70 incher will also push LG and Samsung for response, they will not give up on the big-size-end not at last from ego reasons.

irkuck
post #475 of 1421 Old 04-13-2011, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Spyboy, the tiny sales of DLP won't go away. But making bigger sizes won't really grow them much either. Physical space constraints are real for a lot of people, nevermind doorway sizes, etc. I suspect by adding 90-inch DLPs Mitsubishi will mostly change their sales mix upwards rather than grow a market a lot of people no longer even know exists.
I considered a 80-something DLP last year. I have the space for it. However I just didn't like the PQ of what was available and the idea of a color wheel so I decided to wait for a large LCD or Plasma. It didn't hurt that the Sharp 70" came out at a great price.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #476 of 1421 Old 04-13-2011, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATYPH202 View Post
Do you want "Big picture" or "Big TV"?! I'm sure a lot of people can just get TV closer like for movies etc.It's not a 300 pounds CRT monster!If it's so important for some (for me- definitely) -put it on wheeled stand! -It's not a rocket science! I'm currently typing this on my 100,000 dollars 104" monitor from 12' distance... wait,my bad-make it 2,200 dollars 52" from 6'.- Looks the same to me!
Putting stuff on wheels is all fine and dandy in theory, but if you are like me a good movie experience includes a good sound system. The practicality of moving all that around when it is movie night is just not there. That sort of pushes you into a larger screen.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #477 of 1421 Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Market share is impacted by both availability ot product and price.

Unless you are trying to stick a set in a specific spot, most people would choose a larger set over a smaller screen - if price was proportional to the screen size increase.

My largest set is a 65" DLP that I bought several years ago. I would not go significantly smaller for my next set. Unfortunately, nothing reasonably prices outside the DLP world has existed for me to even consider.

The Sharp 70" set gives me hope that I will soon have a choice of replacement sets, at a price that won't break the bank.

People can't buy what the manufacturers don't produce.
post #478 of 1421 Old 04-13-2011, 10:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Putting stuff on wheels is all fine and dandy in theory, but if you are like me a good movie experience includes a good sound system. The practicality of moving all that around when it is movie night is just not there. That sort of pushes you into a larger screen.

-I'm not sure why you need to move whole sound system,but yeah-you may wanna adjust center chanel level."-Is it too much trouble for living 15-20 years in the future?! -I don't know... "(Michael Scott's impression ) -I'm not saying it's for everyones situation,living conditions or setups! But at least it's a choice,for some... -I think it's like getting very fast car-you can get ( hypothetically )very expensive heavy and powerful (Lamborghini Murcielago) or way more affordable Impreza WRX STI... Either faster than most cars on the road!
post #479 of 1421 Old 04-13-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"Unless you are trying to stick a set in a specific spot, most people would choose a larger set over a smaller screen "

This remains a highly dubious statement that is taken as fact at AVS. Some people certainly would. But please stop saying most people would when an afternoon at a Best Buy talking to customers (nevermind tons of sales data for a decade) proves otherwise.

post #480 of 1421 Old 04-13-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

"Unless you are trying to stick a set in a specific spot, most people would choose a larger set over a smaller screen "

This remains a highly dubious statement that is taken as fact at AVS. Some people certainly would. But please stop saying most people would when an afternoon at a Best Buy talking to customers (nevermind tons of sales data for a decade) proves otherwise.

I rarely do my research at BB.

We can agree to disagree on this topic. I have never heard of someone taking a set back for a smaller size, unless WAF is the driving force.

People are price sensitive and tend to buy the largest screen size their budget will accomodate.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Lz 9700 72 Inch Led Display , Sharp Lc 70le732u Aquos 70 1080p Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays , Sharp Aquos , Lg , Sharp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page