Official 70"+ LCD thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1421 Old 01-17-2011, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 65
This source says Samsung has no official plans to introduce the 75-inch TV on the market at the moment

irkuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1421 Old 01-17-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck

Samsung C8000 series was considered one of the best on the market if not the best in 2010.

Now Samsung claims that D8000 MicroDimming Plus is significant improvement. It does not look only marketing gimmick, see the pic.
Also, moving the backlight to vertical edges should bring huge perceptual effect to the letterbox format as it will get borders like a black hole.
You are assuming 65c8000 is same quality as 55c8000 and smaller which is not the cass.

Yess 55 and under c8000 are great but 65c8000 is terrible with bad off angle viewing where the screen is all white, banding galore, and white spots (mine has 4 while some ppl have 1 or 2) and the usual corner flashlighting present to some degree in all sam edge lit displays. And yes some ppl will just say that what they have is the best but not me and ither dissatisfied sam un65c8000 owners. Least not until I get a better one in exchange or the new 65d8000.

Why did i get it then? Because its the largest size 3d led lcd which as it is, is a 2" downgrade from sam 67" led dlp. And this is what samsung banked on being the only larfer then 60" non plasma. And they didnt even try to beat panasonics 65" size which has superior pq and 3d for half the price and out a year or so before sam put out their first 3d offering. But ppl like me that didnt want plasma whether on fear of image retention or needing the brighter display tech for rooms with more natural light, and maybe liking the looks of the sam over the thicker plainer panny, went for the inferior yet more expensive samsung

65" is not big enough and there seems to be a huge market for 65" and even larger like 70-82". Its price that is the barrier.

Look at all the ppl with 73 & 82" mitsubishi dlp's. They are huge heavy and bulky. Ppl have them because they are cheaper. The ppl that fit those can fit an even larger flat screen. Make these thin and smallest bezel possibldle LG infinia and samsung D8000 and ppl can fit even larger then before even in limited entertainment centers.

Bit imagine the ppl with 82" dlp, they could fit a 90" flat panel with smaller bezel.

Again 65" is too small. 65" will become the new 55" standard. Ppl do demand and can fit larger especially in thinner bezelless displays. Price is the main barrier, not space.

Once again, I like others have high hooes for the Sharp 70" full led 3d lcd for undsr 5k msrp (hopefully lower deals) this summer. And even before that at least samsung will have some competition in the 65" and larger 3d led lcd market so they wont get away with stunts like their samsung canada but made in tijuana mexico 65c8000 with all the problems.

Funny thing is you can special order the Infinia 65" 3d led lcd which uses the samsung panel but only the best most perfect ones and its even more overpriced then the samsung.

Once again 65 and larger size is in demand but price is the barrier not space.
This is where Vizio and now Sharp sound like they can succed by beinf lowest priced and still decent quality wjmhere as samsung is at least with the 65c8000 looking to be the complete opposite with bad quality control and overinflated prices plus delays (on the 65c800 slated for june 2010 but didnt come out until nov. 2010) and in short supply to boot.

If Sharp makes their 70" in larger supply for the lower price and it has nice aesthetics as Sharp usually does (id say up there with Sony looks wise but not quite samsung sexy though depends on the model) and gets decent reviews they will have a winner on their hands and do well. Samsungs low qualituly, high price, low supply strategy kind of failed and why they will delay the 75" until they see sharp, LG and Vizio with larger then 65" taking all sams 65" sales becaise noone is going to pay equal let alone more, for less.
post #63 of 1421 Old 01-17-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
I'm a tad skeptical of the few C8000 owners opinions that the set was so amazing. I mean there is a pretty powerful "I bought this, I love this" effect, especially when paying for premium goods. Samsung's TVs did look really good displaying very easy-to-look-good-at demo material at CES, however, so I certainly hope they both deliver a 65 and that it's amazing.
The C8000 is a really good set, it does have flaws, but it is a good set. I have a Kuro, and while it does not have the same accurate picture, it does have a few advantages. At least the flaws that are there are not as deal breaking as let's say the flaws on the LG 9500, such as heavy banding.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #64 of 1421 Old 01-17-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

"I was very impressed with the Sharp LED 3D TVs at CES 2011. The two Sharp Quad pixel technology 3D TVs (the 70LE735 being one of them) won our Editors Choice Award for Best 3D LED TV at the show."

The 70LE735 is an attractive TV with black gloss bezel, much thinner than the TVs it is replacing, the 60E88 series. The depth of the TV is just 2" which is thin for a 70" TV.

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...lc70le735.html
post #65 of 1421 Old 01-17-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Is Vizio ever going to make a cheap 70-incher LCD or just talk about it?

Wouldn't Vizio be the only company capable of making a 70+ inch LCD that wouldn't cost out the a$$?
post #66 of 1421 Old 01-17-2011, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

Is Vizio ever going to make a cheap 70-incher LCD or just talk about it?

Wouldn't Vizio be the only company capable of making a 70+ inch LCD that wouldn't cost out the a$$?

You see, it depends what you mean by 'make'. Viz does not make LCD panels, they assembly them into their sets. Hence Viz is dependent on other suppliers
for panels.

There is no problem of getting smaller panels from tons of manufacturers. But top-of-the-cream panels like now the 70"+ are made only by Tier-1 companies which also produce TVs. It would be outright crazy if they would give their cream to Viz which would produce cheaper TVs to undercut their own TVs and lick profits. Viz will get 70" panels after Tier-1 launch their own sets and lick sweetest profits.

irkuck
post #67 of 1421 Old 01-17-2011, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

"I was very impressed with the Sharp LED 3D TVs at CES 2011. The two Sharp Quad pixel technology 3D TVs (the 70LE735 being one of them) won our Editors Choice Award for Best 3D LED TV at the show."
The 70LE735 is an attractive TV with black gloss bezel, much thinner than the TVs it is replacing, the 60E88 series. The depth of the TV is just 2" which is thin for a 70" TV.
http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...lc70le735.html

Dunnow how credible is this when they write:

The 70LE735 has edge lit full array local dimming (number of zones not published)

Edge lit? Full array?? Local Dimming???

In any case, it would be fantastic if Sharp delivers this time. They have fantastic chance for returning to the top.

irkuck
post #68 of 1421 Old 01-18-2011, 04:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 591
The Sharp has full array local dimming...

As for Samsung not making the 75-inch one, well, yeah, I hate to say I told you so...

But they've been pulling that kind of stuff for 10 years. It didn't even look like a product this time around.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #69 of 1421 Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Sharp has full array local dimming...

Yes, right. Guys from the lcdtv buying guide just went over the top.

Quote:

As for Samsung not making the 75-inch one, well, yeah, I hate to say I told you so...But they've been pulling that kind of stuff for 10 years. It didn't even look like a product this time around.

I am still in denial of your stinging venom. Thinking that after seeing Sharp and LG commitment at the CES Samsung is feverishly working not give up the 70" segment. But for now Sharp is the top of the show and is moved to the top of the list.

irkuck
post #70 of 1421 Old 01-19-2011, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How credible is this report:

LG 72LW9700 Review
72" NANO Infinia LCD/LED TV

The LW9700 NANO LED television is LG's 2011 flagship and is loaded with features such as 3D compatibility, TruMotion 480Hz refresh rate, and sub 1 inch depth. The new backlighting scheme provides for local dimming and when combined with LG's Micro Pixel Control technology should offer enhanced black levels and contrast. The LW9700 is currently undergoing THX certification for 3D. This is the absolute top of line from LG for 2011.

While the LW9700 is only available in 72" and the price will likely leave your mouth open for fly catching, it does add a feature never before seen on an LED TV - 480 zones of true LED backlit local dimming through the included NANO technology screen panel and video chip engine that the LW9700 runs on. The true LED backlit local dimming is far superior to the manipulated local dimming provided in edge lit local dimming LED TVs. It also has the enhanced 480Hz refresh rate of the LW9500 but the 480 zones of local dimming from backlit LED source lighting is something special. LG has already won a few awards for the technology.

The 480 zones of local dimming allow LG to present full array HD and 3D to each eye.

Until now we heard about the model LZ9700, it was not nano and it did not have ultraslim bezel, this kind of set was shown at the CES. Now they write about another 72 incher, what is going on here?

480 local dimming zones sounds incredible though (or just right for 72".

irkuck
post #71 of 1421 Old 01-19-2011, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

How credible is this report:

LG 72LW9700 Review
72" NANO Infinia LCD/LED TV

The LW9700 NANO LED television is LG's 2011 flagship and is loaded with features such as 3D compatibility, TruMotion 480Hz refresh rate, and sub 1 inch depth. The new backlighting scheme provides for local dimming and when combined with LG's Micro Pixel Control technology should offer enhanced black levels and contrast. The LW9700 is currently undergoing THX certification for 3D. This is the absolute top of line from LG for 2011.

While the LW9700 is only available in 72" and the price will likely leave your mouth open for fly catching, it does add a feature never before seen on an LED TV - 480 zones of true LED backlit local dimming through the included NANO technology screen panel and video chip engine that the LW9700 runs on. The true LED backlit local dimming is far superior to the manipulated local dimming provided in edge lit local dimming LED TVs. It also has the enhanced 480Hz refresh rate of the LW9500 but the 480 zones of local dimming from backlit LED source lighting is something special. LG has already won a few awards for the technology.

The 480 zones of local dimming allow LG to present full array HD and 3D to each eye.

Until now we heard about the model LZ9700, it was not nano and it did not have ultraslim bezel, this kind of set was shown at the CES. Now they write about another 72 incher, what is going on here?

480 local dimming zones sounds incredible though (or just right for 72".

hopefully what is going on is they are making both. one a cheaper less high end model and one a thinner bezeless nano flagship model. the fact that they said the price will make your mouth drop open and stay that way catching flies means its fail already.

and I wont want the cheaper one knowing there is better or that a possible samsung 75" could be almost as good 3" bigger and cheaper then that jaw dropping LG price.

LG needs to just give their 72" panel to Vizio so they can make the 72" that they've been talking about doing for a year or more now. Its probably not their fault that it turned out to be vaporware. They probably wanted to make it but LG wont give them the panel as someone explained, in fear of Vizio undercutting LG with same size and same panel for less.
post #72 of 1421 Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hopefully what is going on is they are making both. one a cheaper less high end model and one a thinner bezeless nano flagship model. the fact that they said the price will make your mouth drop open and stay that way catching flies means its fail already.

I tend to think it is misinformation/scam. Reason is simple: 72 nano incher would be a busterbomb at the CES but there was null information about it though nano was the main pitch. Instead they were showing without much noise non-nano model LZ9700 which is already introduced in other markets.

irkuck
post #73 of 1421 Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

LG needs to just give their 72" panel to Vizio so they can make the 72" that they've been talking about doing for a year or more now. Its probably not their fault that it turned out to be vaporware. They probably wanted to make it but LG wont give them the panel as someone explained, in fear of Vizio undercutting LG with same size and same panel for less.

I dont think LG is afraid of anything where Vizio is concerned. since LG supplies Vizio with its panels and Vizio is known for "cheap" sets that really doesnt make much sense. I suppose if they were afraid of Vizio taking it's market share it would just dissolve its relationship with them. plus, the only ~70" set Vizio has is on it's site is the cinema wide. not even the same market.
post #74 of 1421 Old 01-19-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henbone11 View Post

I dont think LG is afraid of anything where Vizio is concerned. since LG supplies Vizio with its panels and Vizio is known for "cheap" sets that really doesnt make much sense. I suppose if they were afraid of Vizio taking it's market share it would just dissolve its relationship with them. plus, the only ~70" set Vizio has is on it's site is the cinema wide. not even the same market.

This is out of logic. LG, like everbody else, supplies their bulk components to whoever buys them. But not their flagship components which first go into own flagship products.

irkuck
post #75 of 1421 Old 01-19-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:

This is out of logic. LG, like everbody else, supplies their bulk components to whoever buys them. But not their flagship components which first go into own flagship products.

exactly, so why would LG be afraid of Vizio? if Vizio will never get flagship panels from LG they have nothing to worry about. how is this illogical to you?
post #76 of 1421 Old 01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Odd, first of all the LG 72-inch shown at CES was being described by their reps as the "nano LED" model. It didn't look good, but whatever.

As for this Vizio drivel, the panel was never delivered to Vizio because LG couldn't deliver it. They made maybe like 2,000-3,000 usable 72-inch panels all of 2010. As irkuck said, they aren't going to ship the latest and greatest off to other mfrs. when they can't even satisfy internal demand.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #77 of 1421 Old 01-19-2011, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henbone11 View Post

exactly, so why would LG be afraid of Vizio? if Vizio will never get flagship panels from LG they have nothing to worry about. how is this illogical to you?

No problem for LG when Viz does not get 72" flagship panel but gets tons of bulk panels. 72" is flagship now, it may cease to be in some time and then Viz will get them.

Rogo should note that LG would not deliver 72" to Viz, even if they have enough of them, as long as they can milk flagship profits. Giving it too early to Viz would undercut these profits. After the market is saturated at the flagship price there is a turn
for price reductions and moving the product to bulk status. Then there are only normal profits to be made and this depends on the number of units sold by whoever can sell, this is Vizio time.

BTW, Korean and Japanese panel mfrs are undercut by Chinese/Taiwanese in all smaller segments. They are under pressure to move to bigger ones.

irkuck
post #78 of 1421 Old 01-20-2011, 02:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

All true, irkuck.

post #79 of 1421 Old 01-20-2011, 12:05 PM

Hello,
I just watched a 2010 Sharp 60" LCD tv and noticed a lot of glare almost like I was looking into a mirror. My rep told me that is because they use two LCD panels unlike Sony which only uses one panel. One panel cuts the glare down substanially.
Does anyone know if the new 2011 Sharp 70" LCD has one or two LCD panels?
Thank you,
Tony
post #80 of 1421 Old 01-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by portony View Post

Hello,
I just watched a 2010 Sharp 60" LCD tv and noticed a lot of glare almost like I was looking into a mirror. My rep told me that is because they use two LCD panels unlike Sony which only uses one panel. One panel cuts the glare down substanially.
Does anyone know if the new 2011 Sharp 70" LCD has one or two LCD panels?
Thank you,
Tony

BUWAHAHHAHA!!!! Two LCD panels into one LCD display?!?!
You're rep couldn't be MORE wrong.

It has to do with the AR filter (Anti-reflective coating) that is put in FRONT of the display. Some displays use it and some don't, hence semi-gloss and glossy displays.
Ironically, Sony is the one that uses glass on their monolithic designs and filled the air gap between the LCD panel and glass with a clear resin to reduce glare substantially and improve picture performance. Sharp doesn't do that.
post #81 of 1421 Old 01-20-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-It-Yourself View Post

BUWAHAHHAHA!!!! Two LCD panels into one LCD display?!?!
You're rep couldn't be MORE wrong.

It has to do with the AR filter (Anti-reflective coating) that is put in FRONT of the display. Some displays use it and some don't, hence semi-gloss and glossy displays.
Ironically, Sony is the one that uses glass on their monolithic designs and filled the air gap between the LCD panel and glass with a clear resin to reduce glare substantially and improve picture performance. Sharp doesn't do that.

I'm sorry if I mis-spoke. I meant a glass over the LCD panel not two (2) LCD panels. I could hardly watch that Sharp 60" 820 model tv with so much glare.
Thank you,
Tony
post #82 of 1421 Old 01-20-2011, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portony View Post

I could hardly watch that Sharp 60" 820 model tv with so much glare.Thank you,
Tony

Glare is the blunder of LCD but its root is the ignorance of consumers. Consumers prefer glossy displays since they look better as furniture. If a glossy and matte panels are put side-by-side people will buy glossy. No wonder mfrs have to make glossy. Unfortunately 70 inchers may again have to be damned glossy to sell.

irkuck
post #83 of 1421 Old 01-21-2011, 01:17 PM

Liked: 11
Hooray for ignorant consumers! Go glossy, or go home. No glossy, no sale!
post #84 of 1421 Old 01-21-2011, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Glare is the blunder of LCD but its root is the ignorance of consumers. Consumers prefer glossy displays since they look better as furniture. If a glossy and matte panels are put side-by-side people will buy glossy. No wonder mfrs have to make glossy. Unfortunately 70 inchers may again have to be damned glossy to sell.

IMHO think glare is the blunder of plasma not LCD. Only recently does most LED backlit have glossy but with better AR

I think in open store with bright light consumers would actually choose matte over glossy. But Apple through the years stuck to glossy for a very good reason: contrast.
post #85 of 1421 Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post

IMHO think glare is the blunder of plasma not LCD. Only recently does most LED backlit have glossy but with better AR. I think in open store with bright light consumers would actually choose matte over glossy. But Apple through the years stuck to glossy for a very good reason: contrast.

Ok, but glossy 70 incher has lots of area and angles to reflect light to the eyes.

irkuck
post #86 of 1421 Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 PM

Which is why I got some thin mylar, with dark tinting applied, custom cut to set up in front of my windows if need be to cut down on the reflections. On a bright sunny day, the tinting is dark enough to cut way down on the reflections, but still allows me to see outside, so I do not feel isolated from the world and all closed in, like when the blinds/curtains are closed.

If I can afford a 70+ inch LED, I can afford some custom tinted mylar shades to either roll down or set in front of my windows.
post #87 of 1421 Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 AM

Did I miss a post here that mentions that Sony introduced a 70" model 3 years ago (70XBR3 with tri-luminous backlighting) and a CCFL backlit model 2 years ago (70XBR7)? Expensive, but they were there. Very bright pictures!

Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do.
post #88 of 1421 Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by display veteran View Post

Did I miss a post here that mentions that Sony introduced a 70" model 3 years ago (70XBR3 with tri-luminous backlighting) and a CCFL backlit model 2 years ago (70XBR7)? Expensive, but they were there. Very bright pictures!

Right but they were like 20k or something and now they're old and outdated and no competition to current sets.

Because lcds got better, thinner, and 3d. The sizes go back down and stsry over building up.

Samsung maxed out at 55" until recently.

And just to add to the LG vizio convo. Its not that LG would be "worried" or threatenes by vizio but just as everyone explained they arent going to supply them with their flagship 72" panel till way later after supply is up, and their own 72" gets older and price starts to drop. Then they will sell their 72" panel to vizio once they slow down making money off it themselves. So your looking at 2 yrs or more probably before you see a vizio with a 73" LG panel in it.

Thats good news about korean and japanese panel makers being forced ti lsrger size panels with the chinese/taiwanes mfrs.

That means larger 3d led lcds from sam (korean), sony (jap) and others.

Is samsung the only korean mfr.? Surprised there arent others. And Sharp is japanese right?

I like the looks of more recent sharp sets. Decent aesthetics and build quality similar to sony. Where as you migjt not love a vizio in your main room of your house if you care about brand appeal as vizio is still thought of as cheaper but Sharp with their aquos line is viewed as higher end. It tool samsing awhile to be viewed that way as for a long time mostly only sony and panasonic had the brand appeal.

I guess LG has it with their high end super expensive sets but i still dont loce LG as a brand and still think of their cheap crappy cellphones and other junk they've churned out over the years.

Since americans have such hangups with brands the tv manufacs should consider doing what the jap auto makers do by making a luxury line ala how nissan makes infinity, honda/acura, and toyota/lexus.

As ive said, there is an Infinia 3d led lcs 65" which uses only the best of the best of samsungs panel but its even more over inflated price then the samsung 65c8000. You can even order the Infinia with BB but noone does because they dont know about it, its not on display (the 65c8000 isnt either), noone really knows the Infinia name and would probably get mistaken for bb's own insignia brand, lol, by ppl who come over your house instead of a 10k tv. And at that price uts toi expensive even if everyone knew and respected the i finia brand. Not saying i have brand hanguos but americans do. Thats why the VW Phaeton didnt sell well even though it was an amazing car better then an audi 8 series, but noone in america wantsto pay 75k for a VW.
post #89 of 1421 Old 01-26-2011, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

If I can afford a 70+ inch LED, I can afford some custom tinted mylar shades to either roll down or set in front of my windows.

Logical. But people still dream about watching 70 inchers in full daylight without shades. Or having 70 inch LCD windows simulating full daylight?

irkuck
post #90 of 1421 Old 01-26-2011, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As ive said, there is an Infinia 3d led lcs 65" which uses only the best of the best of samsungs panel but its even more over inflated price then the samsung 65c8000.

Infinia is LG brand and LG is using own panels for flagship models. Samsung is their bloody competitor, it is a battle of Korean giants.

irkuck
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Lz 9700 72 Inch Led Display , Sharp Lc 70le732u Aquos 70 1080p Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays , Sharp Aquos , Lg , Sharp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page