AVS Forum banner
184K views 1K replies 164 participants last post by  Quatre 
#1 ·
70"+ LCD panels mark significant next step in the development of LCD technology taking place in 2011. LCD is now the king of size and jumps over plasma. This is amazing if one remembers only a couple of years ago many people were convinced LCD will be limited to small/medium sizes and plasma will exclusively rule the big part of the spectrum.

Equally significant is the fact that no less than four companies announced 70"+ products for 2011. This guarantees healthy competition which should help to bring prices to reasonably high level, affordable for high-end masses.

The goal of this thread is to collect all relevant information concerning the 70"+ PRODUCTS (no prototypes/demos) under one roof.

What is known at the start there are five 70"+ models likely to appear in 2011 with some of the specs given:

70" Sharp model AQUOS Quattron LC-70LE732U - full local dimming, non-3D, available 04/11, pics show
70" Sharp model AQUOS Quattron LC-70LE935U - full local dimming, 3D, available summer 2011, Sharp rep confirming price about $5K

72" LG model LZ9700 - full local dimming, 3D, available May/June/11

75" Samsung model 75D9500 - very thin with side edge LED backlight, 3D, available H2/11(? - according to some accounts there are no production plans for this set in 2011)

71" Vizio model XVT3D71OCM - cinema display 21:9, 2560x1080 res, full local dimming, 3D with passive glasses, availability 2011

A common factor for the 70"+ crop is full local dimming LED (with the exception of Samsung) and 3D support. What will be exciting to see is the PQ/3D performance of these sets & price levels.

An interesting question is if the 70"+ panels are in fact not too big for watching broadcast HDTV in the living room conditions as their size magnifies compression artefacts. Obviously 70"+ Blue Rays should be magnificent and 3D orgasmic - if well implemented.

See less See more
#1,180 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/21010185

That 80" Sharp is interesting.

What I don't understand is why use LEDs to back light the panel if you aren't also local dimming them. Do LEDs just have better color?????

Different color. Arguable whether it's an improvement. LEDs have less of a yellowish/pinkish cast compared to CCFL backlighting (LEDs CAN tend towards slightly blueish, but not always), and LEDs last longer than CCFLs and are less fragile (although other bits will likely break before the CCFLs will). I believe they also use less electricity (in general... the large numbers of LEDs needed to cover an 80" screen make me wonder which actually wins in that dept). There may even be heat advantages. But there are definitely width advantages... you need much less depth to the case with LED backlighting compared to CCFL.

#1,184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor /forum/post/21013220

It's non quattron made in 8G fab as discussed earlier

Sharp's press relese and website says the 80 is an X Gen panel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHARP UNVEILS WORLD'S LARGEST LED LCD TV

80-inch Model Reinforces Sharp as Industry Leader in Large Flat Panel TVs

09/27/2011

MAHWAH, NJ (September 27, 2011) -- Continuing to build on its leadership in large screen LCD TVs, Sharp today introduced the largest LED LCD TV to date, the 80-inch AQUOS (80-inch diagonal) LC-80LE632U. This new TV is a full HD 1080p (1920 x 1080) Smart TV, equipped with built-in Wi-Fi and access to apps like Netflix®, CinemaNow® and VUDU™ as well as Sharp's exclusive AQUOS Advantage Live℠ online support.

"Our 80-inch AQUOS TV delivers more than double the screen area of a 55-inch TV, for an amazing viewing experience," said John Herrington, president, Sharp Electronics Marketing Company of America. "It's truly like nothing else on the market. Consumers want bigger flat panel TVs for deeper, more immersive viewing experiences and that's exactly what Sharp's delivering here," Herrington continued.

The AQUOS 80-inch LED LCDTV offers stunning picture quality and sleek design. The full array LED backlighting system ensures uniformity in both color and brightness from edge to edge and corner to corner while also enabling an incredible dynamic contrast ratio of 6,000,000:1. Additionally, the LC-80LE632U employs 120Hz Fine Motion Enhanced which virtually eliminates blur and motion artifacts in fast-moving video. At an incredible depth of less than four inches, the new AQUOS 80" is a stylish replacement for similar screen size rear-projection TVs, with depth of almost two feet.

With AQUOS Advantage LIVE℠, Sharp AQUOS Advantage Advisors can remotely connect to the TV through the Internet to assist with TV setup, troubleshoot and optimize the picture quality.

The LC-80LE632U is the latest expression of Sharp's goal of providing a large screen TV to fit virtually any need or budget. It is the centerpiece to Sharp's large-screen push of 2011, following the release of five Sharp AQUOS 70-inch class TVs, and 10 AQUOS 60-inch class TVs.

The AQUOS LC-80LE632U Television features:

80-inch Class (80-inch diagonal) – more than double the screen area of a 55-inch Class TV;

Smart TV - delivers Netflix®, CinemaNow® and VUDU™ streaming video, customized Internet content and live customer support via built-in Wi-Fi;

AQUOS Advantage LIVE℠ - a suite of premium connected services featuring the ability for AQUOS Advantage Advisors to remotely assist customers with setup and settings management directly over the Internet, right in the comfort of their own home;

Full HD 1080p X-Gen LCD Panel – with 10-bit processing is designed with advanced pixel control to minimize light leakage and wider aperture to let more light through;

Vyper Drive - game mode eliminates perceptible lag between video game consoles and the TV display;

Dual USB Inputs - enable viewing high-resolution video, music and digital photos on the TV; 120Hz Fine Motion Enhanced – for improved fast motion picture quality

#1,187 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody /forum/post/21011979

Any thoughts about the omission of the yellow sub pixel on the 80"?

It's not a state-of-the-art panel, even though they claim it's "X-Gen" whatever that means. They are using one of their 8G lines to make them that wasn't ever upgraded to Quattron and, honestly, I doubt the performance of the TV overall will watch even what you see the 70LC732 do (I would argue Sharp know this, which is why they soft pedaled the model number with a 632. I will also pre-empt the ridiculous, fawning comments that will come here on AVS by saying people will believe what they want to believe.)

It's likely that they will make changes to the line to deliver better panels if they are planning on offering upgraded models of this in the future.

Regardless, it's -- again -- an amazing price for a product no one else can currently dream of delivering. I am fascinated to see if Panasonic wakes up and responds to Sharps 70s and 80s; history has shown us Samsung cannot. (That said, Samsung could use the same trick Sharp is using to make 80s and, in fact, is kind of using that trick to fab the 75 that they aren't actually selling.)

#1,189 ·
I bet Europen prices on these will be x2 on the US prices.

I am waiting for this 80' panel to start shipping and be reviewed in order to decide whether I want 70' or 80' imported from the US.

I am not a pic quality diehard, hence if 80' is at least average - it will be my next TV.

#1,190 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck /forum/post/21014690

We have also learned that Sharp will be bringing a range of 70 and 80-inch TVs to the market in 2012 in both the US and Europe. The TVs will be unveiled at CES 2012 in Las Vegas this January.

Any ideas on what might be included?

I assume there will be something in between the 6xx/7xx and Elite 70" and 80" models.

#1,192 ·
Rogo it is exactly that claim of it being X gen as opposed to 8G that I was focusing on. It must mean that they haven't done "nothing" to the 8G fab, no? Or am I being naive, I.e. that this is entirely a marketing language gimmick with no basis in reality?

#1,193 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo /forum/post/21014689

It's not a state-of-the-art panel, even though they claim it's "X-Gen" whatever that means. They are using one of their 8G lines to make them that wasn't ever upgraded to Quattron and, honestly, I doubt the performance of the TV overall....

There seems to be no real meaning in juggling those X-Gen, Quattron, 8G, designations. Nobody was able to show that the Quattron with its sexy yellow subpixel is ultimately superior to other panels. It should be thus expected that the 80" will provide solid decent performance without any problems except of those due to the lack of local dimming. Much more concern could be directed towards the content quality, e.g. is broadcast HDTV still acceptable for watching on such a big glass?

#1,194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody /forum/post/21016788

Rogo it is exactly that claim of it being X gen as opposed to 8G that I was focusing on. It must mean that they haven't done "nothing" to the 8G fab, no? Or am I being naive, I.e. that this is entirely a marketing language gimmick with no basis in reality?

I'm sure they did something Anthony. I mean it wasn't originally set up to do masking of 80" displays so they had to change the way everything was functioning. There has to be a reason they didn't go Quattron, presumably because they couldn't work in the yellow color filter step on the line.

It's pretty telling that they labeled it 632, not 732. It's Sharp's way of signaling "this isn't as good as the 70" 732 in terms of picture quality, but obviously it's bigger". I'm guessing whatever happens in 2012 will include better options in the 80" class.

I'd imagine it will also include something "in between" in the 70" class because -- as I outlined earlier -- they are giving up tens of millions of dollars in gross margin with their current 70" strategy. That said, I will be very surprised if much of anything happens performance-wise in the 70" line next year. The entry product is very non-terrible and very inexpensive. It's likely going to remain inexpensive and there isn't much they can do to improve it and keep it at that price.

It's worth noting that the Sharp 70" line is configured to precisely fall under the new Energy Star guidelines, which require TVs to use no more than 108 watts. So if they added even a single additional LED, they'd have to lower the wattage used in each of them (or in the circuit boards) to compensate. For example, if they wanted to solve the issue of the darkened corners, they'd have to make a tradeoff someone else to do so.

My point here is, things will probably get better; they'll have had a year to work on it. And something like the "935" will probably emerge, offering most (all?) of the Elite's performance for less money. Assuming the 80" is well received at all, I'm sure they'll do one better model (perhaps two, but this is such a small volume product, distribution is going to be tricky enough to manage).

The quote from Flatpanels HD, however, is akin to "we have learned the sun will rise in the east tomorrow". I mean of course they'll announce new models at CES. When haven't they in the past decade? Reminds me, I gotta work on getting that Elite....

#1,195 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo /forum/post/21019666

It's pretty telling that they labeled it 632, not 732. It's Sharp's way of signaling "this isn't as good as the 70" 732 in terms of picture quality, but obviously it's bigger". I'm guessing whatever happens in 2012 will include better options in the 80" class.

Of course Sharp is trying to differentiate Quattron from other panels. Now in practice was anybody able to show that the 632 is worse than the 732 PQ-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo /forum/post/21019666

The quote from Flatpanels HD, however, is akin to "we have learned the sun will rise in the east tomorrow". I mean of course they'll announce new models at CES. When haven't they in the past decade? Reminds me, I gotta work on getting that Elite....

Most significant in the Flatpanel news is that Sharp plans to release the 70" and 80" in EUrope and globally then. This may happen just after the CES without

usual long delay times.

#1,196 ·
Wow! an 80" LCD for under $5k street price. The day is finally here. I wonder if that will take away and of the Mitsubishi DLP sales. That would be a worthy upgrade in size from my 67" LED DLP set.

#1,197 ·
yea a 80 inch is very tempting...I currently have the 70, and it is great size...but the 80 is not that much bigger, and after having the 70 for a little bit....you always want more size. I guess just like irk stated my main concern would be just watching regular HDtv...becuause thats what I primarily watch. Does anybody know if it is even possible for HDTV to look remotely good on a 80 inch tv?....Would I have to wait for the resolutions standards to get better?, Would the elite technology fare well on a 80 inch model?. I have the space, and I am very interested in the 80 for possibly next year.

#1,199 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo /forum/post/21020596

I wonder if Sharp improves the picture quality in this new 80". I find that the pictures aren't very nice on the 70".

Assuming you're NOT talking about the Elites, if you're not happy with the PQ on the 70" models, it's highly unlikely you're going to like the PQ of the new 80" model. As people have been discussing for several posts above, the "632" in the 80" model number seems to indicate that it will be a lower level set than the "732" and "735" and so forth in the 70" models. Plus the pixels are now that much bigger and more obvious (same number of pixels, larger panel to cover), and the backlight has to light up that much more area without drawing more power.

#1,200 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSallday /forum/post/0

yea a 80 inch is very tempting...I currently have the 70, and it is great size...but the 80 is not that much bigger, and after having the 70 for a little bit....you always want more size. I guess just like irk stated my main concern would be just watching regular HDtv...becuause thats what I primarily watch. Does anybody know if it is even possible for HDTV to look remotely good on a 80 inch tv?....Would I have to wait for the resolutions standards to get better?, Would the elite technology fare well on a 80 inch model?. I have the space, and I am very interested in the 80 for possibly next year.

It can look good with an Algolith Flea. Without it broadcast would not look very good on my 67" set. That combined with my DVDO DUO makes for a good picture from broadcast sources.

#1,201 ·
@Aaron, the very few TVs Mitsubishi is selling are mostly the 73s, which are a super bargain and won't be affected. the 92s are still significantly larger. As for their 82, yes, it will be hurt by the Sharp. And the Sharp clearly expands the 80" market to people who wouldn't consider projection, so it's definitely a benefit in that regard.

@irkuck, you are reading way too much into that article. That said, the 70" Sharp shipped fairly soon after CES last year. I suspect they can repeat that this coming year and would be "due". I just think you are presuming a lot. First of all, I doubt Sharp has much of any idea what actual ship dates are this far out. Second of all, I'm sure they didn't telegraph that to some blog.

I personally think the 732 Sharp offers a better picture than the 60" 63x series, although those observations are based on looking at them at retail. And yet as I've said before, I think the 732 is not videophile quality. So if you are like zzoo, you're unlikely to find a larger -- perhaps slightly less good picture -- to be very satisfying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.