AVS Forum banner
184K views 1K replies 164 participants last post by  Quatre 
#1 ·
70"+ LCD panels mark significant next step in the development of LCD technology taking place in 2011. LCD is now the king of size and jumps over plasma. This is amazing if one remembers only a couple of years ago many people were convinced LCD will be limited to small/medium sizes and plasma will exclusively rule the big part of the spectrum.

Equally significant is the fact that no less than four companies announced 70"+ products for 2011. This guarantees healthy competition which should help to bring prices to reasonably high level, affordable for high-end masses.

The goal of this thread is to collect all relevant information concerning the 70"+ PRODUCTS (no prototypes/demos) under one roof.

What is known at the start there are five 70"+ models likely to appear in 2011 with some of the specs given:

70" Sharp model AQUOS Quattron LC-70LE732U - full local dimming, non-3D, available 04/11, pics show
70" Sharp model AQUOS Quattron LC-70LE935U - full local dimming, 3D, available summer 2011, Sharp rep confirming price about $5K

72" LG model LZ9700 - full local dimming, 3D, available May/June/11

75" Samsung model 75D9500 - very thin with side edge LED backlight, 3D, available H2/11(? - according to some accounts there are no production plans for this set in 2011)

71" Vizio model XVT3D71OCM - cinema display 21:9, 2560x1080 res, full local dimming, 3D with passive glasses, availability 2011

A common factor for the 70"+ crop is full local dimming LED (with the exception of Samsung) and 3D support. What will be exciting to see is the PQ/3D performance of these sets & price levels.

An interesting question is if the 70"+ panels are in fact not too big for watching broadcast HDTV in the living room conditions as their size magnifies compression artefacts. Obviously 70"+ Blue Rays should be magnificent and 3D orgasmic - if well implemented.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey irkuck

Thanks for creating this thread,,, great idea.

I saw the 70+ panels at CES and they were impressive,,, the 84" LG rocked,,, the LG 72" and Vizio 71" are the one's Im waiting to hear price's for.

I totally missed the 70" Sharp,, musta walked right by it,, bummer.

Cheers

Davyo

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecgz88
One of two lines of 70-inch class models that Sharp will introduce in 2011, the LC-70LE732U marks the pinnacle of Sharp's LCD manufacturing prowess

I don't see anywhere Sharp said 70LE732U is not 3D
I believe the LE935U is the 3D model for Sharp per UltimateAVMag below: .

"Sharp unveiled a new 70-incher in its Quattron line, which adds yellow subpixels to the normal red, green, and blue. The LC-70LE935 uses LED backlighting with local dimming and offers online content and 3D capabilities, while the LC-70LE732 omits 3D. In all, Sharp will introduce five new lines with screen sizes up to 70 inches and six lines with sizes up to 60 inches in 2011, and all will have WiFi connectivity."

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/19809506

Hey irkuck

Thanks for creating this thread,,, great idea.

Thanks and you are cordially welcomed to contribute to this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/19809506

I saw the 70+ panels at CES and they were impressive,,, the 84" LG rocked,,, the LG 72" and Vizio 71" are the one's Im waiting to hear price's for.

I totally missed the 70" Sharp,, musta walked right by it,, bummer.

Cheers

Davyo

But please, let's not start about the 84". This is a prototype and I think it is more constructive to talk about real products. There will be thread about 80"+/4K products sometime in the future

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/19812352

I believe the LE935U is the 3D model for Sharp per UltimateAVMag below: .

"Sharp unveiled a new 70-incher in its Quattron line, which adds yellow subpixels to the normal red, green, and blue. The LC-70LE935 uses LED backlighting with local dimming and offers online content and 3D capabilities, while the LC-70LE732 omits 3D. In all, Sharp will introduce five new lines with screen sizes up to 70 inches and six lines with sizes up to 60 inches in 2011, and all will have WiFi connectivity."

Thanks westadouble69 for bringing this up
. The initial message is corrected accordingly.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook /forum/post/19814468

that 75 inch Samsung is going to cost a TRUCK LOAD of money

Sounds pessimistic but it does not need to be so. From the start there will be quite a competition in the 70"+ class and pressure from the 65" (potential 70" buyers will be tempted to set on 65"). So it seems reasonable to think that competition will keep the prices in the 4-digit range which is just a bag of money

#17 ·
I could've sworn that Sharp said the low-end 70-inch would be full array backlit (LED) but not locally dimmed. In fact, that and the 120Hz (along with the 3-D) were listed as the differences to me. I'd be surprised if it's locally dimmed. And with a $3300 MAP, I'd be surprised if it matters as everyone they make will get sold.

For what it's worth (and I have a decent track record here), the LG will be hard to find all year, but if you really want one -- not sure why you would, it's obese by current LCD standards and it didn't look nearly as good as LG's own 55 -- you should be able to buy one eventually. The 75-inch Samsung will not be purchasable this year, I feel. It was more of a demo than a product. Keep in mind Samsung barely produced a few thousand 65s in 2010. And, yes, the 75-inch Samsung will probably list for $12,000 or so if they even have a retail SKU they can deliver on.

To me, Sharp is where it's at for gigantic flat screens in 2011. And if they fail, expect to see Sharp slowly disappear from the TV market (in the US at least). I sincerely hope they sell tens of thousands, however, so long as you can switch off the Star Trek logo on the TV. (Are they going overboard with Trek stuff between Sulu and the "chevron" on the bezel??)

FWIW, I have no real opinion on Vizio's shipping, but I will say the market itself for a cinema-wide LCD is small, so Vizio is presumably not even trying for mass quantities.

#18 ·
Hoping that vizio will release this 71 inch set (no more vapor-wear like last years 72" set). Would expect the price target to be $4K-$5K based on other vizio sets (namely the 65" which is going for $3500 or less). At that price point you can bet I'll be at the front of the line for it.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by henbone11 /forum/post/19816481

theres alot of leeway in the four digit range. if PQ is good I can see paying 5k for the samsung, however, if its 8-9k, not too sure how many people will actually buy that.

5K for 75"? High-end 65 inchers approach this level. On the other hand anybody asking 5-digit for 70"+ will not sell due to the competitors sets in the 4-digit. There is huge psychological barrier between the 4- and 5- digit price range. So the 70"+ sets are destined to 4-digit but Samsung

may occupy the top.

Also, those who claim Samsung 75" is vaporware are in error. That would be the case if Samsung was the only potential manufacturer in the 70"+ range. But with plenty of competitors kicking in the back Samsung has to be present in this market this year, they have Number 1 Ego. Different question is the production numbers and availability but at least they will have to announce sales and the set will show up in shops somewhere sometimes.

#20 ·
With so many 70"+ screens samsung should deliever their 75" to us!

I hope that Vizio 71", 21:9 launches in Europe! I would like a large TV, but have the effect that movies presented in 21:9 is then larger than normal TV programs in 16:9.

I saw a demo of passive 3d on a JVC a few years back and it looked awesome tbh, so I have high hopes for the Vizio in regards to PQ 2D/3D.

Any prices on the sharp TVs yet?

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausdk /forum/post/19819365

With so many 70"+ screens samsung should deliever their 75" to us!?

If they decide to bring it to EUrope which is marginal fragmented market it will be after Asia and N.America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausdk /forum/post/19819365

I hope that Vizio 71", 21:9 launches in Europe! I would like a large TV, but have the effect that movies presented in 21:9 is then larger than normal TV programs in 16:9.?

It is hard to see why Vizio would launch it in Europe, this is extremely unlikely. Cinema displays are mixed joy: the width of the 71" 21:9 is about same as the 16:9 72", the format is 2560x1080 meaning that pictures have to be upconverted. It is better to stay with the 16:9 and see movies in their original pixels.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck /forum/post/19819350

5K for 75"? High-end 65 inchers approach this level. On the other hand anybody asking 5-digit for 70"+ will not sell due to the competitors sets in the 4-digit. There is huge psychological barrier between the 4- and 5- digit price range. So the 70"+ sets are destined to 4-digit but Samsung

may occupy the top.

Also, those who claim Samsung 75" is vaporware are in error. That would be the case if Samsung was the only potential manufacturer in the 70"+ range. But with plenty of competitors kicking in the back Samsung has to be present in this market this year, they have Number 1 Ego. Different question is the production numbers and availability but at least they will have to announce sales and the set will show up in shops somewhere sometimes.

Again, we need to be clear. Notwithstanding the Vizio 71-inch cinema model (which I assume uses a panel from Chi Mei or some other second-tier mfr. and I personally doubt will be produced), we know exactly who is considering what this year in LCD.

1) Samsung, a 75-inch. They have no track record building 65s. They showed off a 75-inch prototype which honestly didn't resemble a finished product. Maybe it ships, maybe it doesn't. But let's stop pretending it will definitely ship because, again, the track record of Samsung dates back a decade. They rarely ship the largest TV they show, often not for several years. They didn't manage to get a single 65-inch to the show, despite claiming it will be available in several series. Skepticism is warranted. Never mind the fact that the pricing for their 65-inch 8000 last year was astronomical and not remotely competitive with the only commercially volume shipped 65 (the Panasonic plasma) or the only 65-inch LCD to ever ship in volume (the discontinued Sharp 65 that left the market at about $3500 retail.

Will they ship 1,000 or so 75s in the US this year? Maybe. And if they do, they will cost >$10,000. You can more or less bank on that.

2) LG, a 72-inch. It's something like $10,000 in Korea. It'll be something like that here. It was 3x the thickness of their 55 inch and had less contrast and brightness at CES. It felt very very unfinished to me and was very unimpressive. LG can build great LCDs; the 72-inch -- a flagship model -- doesn't yet appear to be one. I'd guess they might deliver 5,000 or so to the US this year. And if they deliver none it wouldn't be stunning.

3) Sharp, a 70-inch. It's going to be as low as $3,300 for the low end model and almost certainly no higher than $5,500. I expect it to ship in volume by mid-year.

No other giant LCD is going to mystically appear in 2011. Certainly not any from a major mfr.

I don't believe Samsung will even lead the market in the 65+ category in the U.S. shipments-wise. I think they will be surpassed by Sharp and probably Sony as well. And it's likely Panasonic will obliterate the totals of either. And really, I don't care. But you can often tell much about the future from the past. And the past tells us a lot about the fact that making very big LCDs is surprisingly hard. It hasn't been done much. Stuff that can't even be shown at CES is rarely much for sale in the coming year. The largest size prototypes people show off for bragging rights are rarely even products and don't generally show up on the market.

If Samsung were an unstoppable juggernaut, why have they yet to ship a 65 in quantity 3 years after Sharp delivered one to the market? Why was their booth devoid of a 65 when Sony, Sharp, LG and Vizio all had them?

I don't even believe they were pretending to be committed to shipping the 75-inch. I believe they were committed to having something bigger on the show floor than LG.

#23 ·
Sharp has the only 10G LCD plant but with 90% utilized. Not much incentive for the Koreans to do large sizes unless they get much more $ per m2

If anyone can make big size economically RELATIVE to the rest it will be Sharp. For their sake they better hope there is a market for large TV.

As usual the Japanese will start the ball rolling but the Koreans and taiwanese will carry the baton. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when.

#25 ·
The following comes from Citivas over at DBS Talk. He was kind enough to check out the Vizio 84in prototype for me at CES. While there he also saw the 71 inch

" I also saw their 21:9 aspect ratio screens. They showed three sizes, 50", 58" and 71", although they said the 71" probably wouldn't be released this year. Pretty cool, but in practice I'm not sure who they are for. If you almost exclusively watch 2.35 movies great but for everything else you would have veritcal bars. Their pitch was you can display Internet Apps and info on the side while you watch regular 16:9 or 4:3 content but would anyone really want to do this for an extended time? Also when I started getting into detailed questions about whether it can handle higher than 1920x1080 input content they didn't seem to be able to answer "

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 /forum/post/19820025

The following comes from Citivas over at DBS Talk. He was kind enough to check out the Vizio 84in prototype for me at CES. While there he also saw the 71 inch

" I also saw their 21:9 aspect ratio screens. They showed three sizes, 50", 58" and 71", although they said the 71" probably wouldn't be released this year. Pretty cool, but in practice I'm not sure who they are for. If you almost exclusively watch 2.35 movies great but for everything else you would have veritcal bars. Their pitch was you can display Internet Apps and info on the side while you watch regular 16:9 or 4:3 content but would anyone really want to do this for an extended time? Also when I started getting into detailed questions about whether it can handle higher than 1920x1080 input content they didn't seem to be able to answer "

I thought you might like to know that vertical bars are called pillar bars. Or you can say the picture is pillar boxed. As you know, bars on the top and bottom are called letter bars or that the picture is letter boxed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.