what must be done to ensure a 120hz monitor eliminates ghosting? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-17-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
most people don't know what ghosting is so i need this question limited to people who fully understand how 120hz LCD monitors can remove ghosting, and that lower milliseconds doesn't remove ghosting on LCD's because they are sample-and-hold displays and how that works on human's eyes. so anyway, my question is this. if i buy a 120hz 3d monitor, the kind that takes 120hz input and not just give 120hz output, do i need my games to run at over 60fps to get the blur-free gaming experience, or does the ghosting go away even at around 60 fps? i ask because i was thinking about buying a non-3d TV to do my gaming on, the kind that have 120hz output but don't take 120hz input. i guess i am wondering if a new frame must be sent to the monitor more than 60 times per second for the ghosting to be gone, if that is the case then i need 120hz input capable monitors, as well as my games to run at more than 60fps.

if i didn't explaing myself well, basically, what are the requirements to get the blur-free experience on a 120hz monitor, whether it is just 120hz output only or 120hz input and output?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-17-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
You have a conflict of objectives.
If you have a game that itself will create 60 game frames per second then you can send it to any 120Hz LCD/LED display which by using frame interpolation will greatly reduce motion blurcaused by sample and hold
However, frame interpolation requires processing time by display video processor and therfore which causes excessive lag for games.
You may be better off with a Plasma display since then you will get very littl motion blur with 60fps content.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-17-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
that seems plausible, yet i have not heard people complaining about input lag on 120hz monitors that they game on.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-17-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Thats what I thought I said, in order to reduce lag on a 120Hz system you need to not use frame interpolation motion comensation and you have to enable game mode which will reduce the lag but there is no guarantee it will be elinmated. These options of course increase the motion blur and reduce the PQ of any scaling operations.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page