AVS Forum banner

Toshiba flashing yellow light

14K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  jumeda33 
#1 ·
First my apologies if I am in the wrong place. I am new on this forum. I have a Toshiba 37lx96 that has the flashing yellow disc light. It flashes in threes. I have see on this forum and others that the regulators are probably bad and to check for bad caps. Here is my question. Which caps are they talking about? Mine are not popped nor do I see any signs of leakage. I understand they could be bad on the inside. Does anyone know the location numbers of these caps that should be checked?

Thanks in advance for your help.

David

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumeda33 /forum/post/19913053

First my apologies if I am in the wrong place. I am new on this forum. I have a Toshiba 37lx96 that has the flashing yellow disc light. It flashes in threes. I have see on this forum and others that the regulators are probably bad and to check for bad caps. Here is my question. Which caps are they talking about? Mine are not popped nor do I see any signs of leakage. I understand they could be bad on the inside. Does anyone know the location numbers of these caps that should be checked?

Thanks in advance for your help.

David

I have this set. Does it still power on? If not, there are bad caps at the power supply. This power supply was designed to be in "on" mode 24/7 because of the DVD player at the side, even if you turn off the TV. I noticed this designed flaw, and I always unplug the TV after each use. The click sound in the power supply goes away, which is now off, and it makes the power supply last longer by 200% difference.

#3 ·
Thank you for responding. No, the set won't even power on. I ordered the two common regulators that seem to go bad. I didn't see any popped or leaky caps and I didn't know which ones usually go bad. If there are particular caps that go bad, I would like to know which ones and I would replace those as well.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumeda33 /forum/post/19923772

Thank you for responding. No, the set won't even power on. I ordered the two common regulators that seem to go bad. I didn't see any popped or leaky caps and I didn't know which ones usually go bad. If there are particular caps that go bad, I would like to know which ones and I would replace those as well.

You would need a meter to check the voltages in each cap. If you don't know how to do it, remove all the screws and wire from the power supply board, and take it to a technician who can do it for you for about $20-$50, depending on where you are and the service center's policy. The technician will tell you which caps are bad, and I normally paid $20 for it.

After you get it repaired, please unplug the TV or use an on/off switch after each use due to design-flaw. It also will save you money on electricity bill, and it makes the TV last longer.

#5 ·
I'm brand new to the forum and got here by googling the 37LX96 for repairs. I too have the 3 flashing lights and if I hold the power button down for 5 seconds like they say in the manual it clicks a few times like it's trying to reset but it goes back to the 3 flashes. We had a Sears Tech come out and plug in his laptop and told us it was the digital board and would be $578 for parts and $225 for labor. Of course our company said no way and they let me bring it home. Anyway, I'm not that much into replacing individual regulators so could you tell me which board this really is (with part number if possible)that needs replacing. I can handle replacing a board but since the Tech wasn't specific on the board and they aren't cheap I could use some direction. This has been a great TV and I'd love to fix it. Thank you all!

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcpc007 /forum/post/19991247

I'm brand new to the forum and got here by googling the 37LX96 for repairs. I too have the 3 flashing lights and if I hold the power button down for 5 seconds like they say in the manual it clicks a few times like it's trying to reset but it goes back to the 3 flashes. We had a Sears Tech come out and plug in his laptop and told us it was the digital board and would be $578 for parts and $225 for labor. Of course our company said no way and they let me bring it home. Anyway, I'm not that much into replacing individual regulators so could you tell me which board this really is (with part number if possible)that needs replacing. I can handle replacing a board but since the Tech wasn't specific on the board and they aren't cheap I could use some direction. This has been a great TV and I'd love to fix it. Thank you all!

I know you said you are not one for changing out parts but here is my story with the same television. I replaced the to regulators and the set is now working. As a matter of fact, I just did it this morning. If you know someone who is handy with soldering etc.. maybe they could do it for you. It cost me $25.75 and that included the shipping to replace two regulators. The parts that I replaced are STR-Z4479 (Toshiba part 23135028) and STR-W6765 (Toshiba part 23135072). You may also have bad capacitors as most people will tell you but I didn't. I hope this helps because I, as you do, rely on these forums for help. Let me know if I can help any further.

Good luck,

David

#9 ·
jumeda33:

I'm a recent(1/24/11) purchaser of a Toshiba 46G300U3. It's a great TV but I have this suspicion that it just might share comparable power supplyand/or regulator components.

So I'm prepared for possible failures down the road, can you answer the following questions:

Where are the regulators in relation to the power supply board?

Did you identify the part numbers and order them through one of the Toshiba Support Websites or get them from another source?

Would a service manual for my Toshiba model be a worthwhile investment and, if so, where can I order one?

My thanks in advance.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes /forum/post/19993524

Excellent information. Thank you for providing. May I as if they are located at the power supply board? If not, where?

Hey In, Yes, they are on the power supply board. Both on heat sinks. The larger one is on a heat sink with a metal clip that holds it. The other one is on a heat sink with a screw through it. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

David

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA don /forum/post/19993526

jumeda33:

I'm a recent(1/24/11) purchaser of a Toshiba 46G300U3. It's a great TV but I have this suspicion that it just might share comparable power supplyand/or regulator components.

So I'm prepared for possible failures down the road, can you answer the following questions:

Where are the regulators in relation to the power supply board?

Did you identify the part numbers and order them through one of the Toshiba Support Websites or get them from another source?

Would a service manual for my Toshiba model be a worthwhile investment and, if so, where can I order one?

My thanks in advance.

Don,

The STR-xxxx numbers are the numbers on the actual part. The numbers for the part that I provided are the Toshiba part numbers and I purchased them from Pacific Coast Parts otherwise known as PacParts. You can find them at www.pacparts.com . If you are looking at the back of the set, the regulators are on heat sinks on the right edge of the board. One towards the middle (on the edge of the board) and one up toward the upper right corner of the board. I don't think a service manual will help unless you can read schematics and use meters etc... Keep in mind, that my location information is based on my model television. Yours will probably be different but you might me able to find the parts by looking at the STR numbers that are on them. Hope this helps.

David

#12 ·
I'm not opposed to replacing parts, I have the equipment here to do it. I just figured I wouldn't know which parts to replace. How did you know those were the bad parts? Did you ohm them or (ok right now I just went brain dead) check for continuity (man I'm really brain dead....check for a tone by putting the leads on each end). It's hell to get old and forget things in the middle of typing a sentence. I can pull the back off and I guess pull the board and look for bad capacitors as those are fairly easy to spot and then test the regulators as per your forthcoming instructions..LOL Finding a power board looks like it's extremely expensive so I can go your route. Thanks, Ric

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcpc007 /forum/post/20016307

I'm not opposed to replacing parts, I have the equipment here to do it. I just figured I wouldn't know which parts to replace. How did you know those were the bad parts? Did you ohm them or (ok right now I just went brain dead) check for continuity (man I'm really brain dead....check for a tone by putting the leads on each end). It's hell to get old and forget things in the middle of typing a sentence. I can pull the back off and I guess pull the board and look for bad capacitors as those are fairly easy to spot and then test the regulators as per your forthcoming instructions..LOL Finding a power board looks like it's extremely expensive so I can go your route. Thanks, Ric

Ric,

I found some info on one of the sites that suggested it could be the regulators and I took some voltage measurments on the plugs and found that I was missing some standby voltages.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.