Double Image, and 3 Horizontal lines on LN-T4069F LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I replaced my capacitors last year to fix my boot-up problem with the Samsung LN-T4069F, but for some reason, its now displaying double images, and 3 horizontal lines across the screen. Any ideas what causes this, and how can I fix this?

NOTE: This will only last for about 5min, after boot up, then display normal. It will usually happen, when the TV is turned off, for a long period of time.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-08-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlong68 View Post

Hi All,

I replaced my capacitors last year to fix my boot-up problem with the Samsung LN-T4069F, but for some reason, its now displaying double images, and 3 horizontal lines across the screen. Any ideas what causes this, and how can I fix this?

NOTE: This will only last for about 5min, after boot up, then display normal. It will usually happen, when the TV is turned off, for a long period of time.

Thanks.

Any updates on a solution to your problem?
post #3 of 10 Old 08-08-2011, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

No, not yet. Its still happening, but not as much.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-08-2011, 04:46 PM

So far this is the info I have gathered about the same or similar issues. Sopposedly this is NOT a panel swap issue, but a glue or tab issue. How the connection is made via the panel itself and the board is the issue. Read it on a different forum. Common problem with Samsung models LNT4069FX 40-inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV's or other sizes. May also include other models as well that were made with the same panel within a couple of years. Does the vertical lines and double imaging go away after the t.v. has benn running for a little bit? If so, read on. To test this theory for this problem try to lightly tap on the edge of your lcd starting fom corner to corner. If the pictue gets better or goes back to normal You have the bad gluing or tab issue. Acorrdind to anouther post, if you contact Samsung and use one of their authorized dealers to fix it, they'll say the panel has to be replaced. Supposedly if you get the tabs re-glued or replaced, this will fix the problem. Alot cheaper than a new panel. This other thread from a differnt topic within the avs forum basically nailed this issue right on the head. I can't find that thred right now...but if I do, I'll post more info.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-08-2011, 04:51 PM

Wow, that is exactlly what my tv is doing. Thanks for the pics. Also, do you have issues with ghosting or T.B.E. (triple ball effect0? There was suppose to be a firmware update but samsung says it does not exist. Read this on a diffent forum.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-08-2011, 05:11 PM

Hi
My problem ended up being a bad TAB bond to the LCD panel itself. See the last photo at:

http://home.myfairpoint.net/~langhof...um_1271775431/

The problem area is in the red circle. TAB = Tape Automated Bond. The 4661 LCD panel has a couple dozen TAB connections, each with numerous parallel connections. Each TAB connector is just a thin ribbon, and touching the bad one with a non-conducting probe (a chop stick in this case) caused the lines and shadowing to go nuts. Touching the other TAB connections had no affect.

Taking apart your TV is dangerous, and powering it up while it is apart is more dangerous, so I'm not recommending you try this. I did not try this until the TV became unwatchable and I had resigned myself to buying a new one. With the arrival of fall and cold mornings, the lines had become large black areas that would linger through an entire show sometimes.

First, I removed the TV back, then the base (including the plate it attaches to), speakers, plastic bezel & power switch, and side panel jacks (screws only; I left the electrical connection). This leaves the LCD itself. To get at the TAB bonds, I removed the metal frame around the LCD panel. Once the metal frame is off, there is not much structure, nor anything holding the LCD to the backing other than the TAB bonds themselves. I then propped the LCD against a wooden speaker on a wooden floor. I removed the power switch from the bezel and reconneted it to the main board so I could turn the TV on. I also reconnected the speakers just in case the audio output requires a load.

After confirming which TAB bond was bad, I applied a piece of non-conductive foam wrapped in electrical tape over the area circled in red. It was just thick enough to compress the tab bond when the metal frame was re-installed. The picture has been perfect since. Good luck..

This is were I read a simalar issue concerning a tab bond issue?
post #7 of 10 Old 08-08-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

This Tab Bond, is it a electrical ribbon or just a strip?
post #8 of 10 Old 08-10-2011, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I am not sure what you refer to as electrical ribbon.... here's the larger photo of the same problem zoomed-in; the 3 red arrows point to where exactly the pressure should be applied to fix the lose contacts..... it is self explanatory. The white bumpons are there to apply pressure to the TAB arrears once the LCD panel is re-assembled and screwed back in to its metal frame. This scan work really well for years

Boky
LL
post #9 of 10 Old 12-04-2011, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Meyer,

Can you tell me what brand/type of non-conductive foam you used with the electrical tape? I'm going to try this next weekend, since my image is now almost unwatchable.

Thanks!
post #10 of 10 Old 01-25-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bayer View Post

Hi
My problem ended up being a bad TAB bond to the LCD panel itself. See the last photo at:

The problem area is in the red circle. TAB = Tape Automated Bond. The 4661 LCD panel has a couple dozen TAB connections, each with numerous parallel connections. Each TAB connector is just a thin ribbon, and touching the bad one with a non-conducting probe (a chop stick in this case) caused the lines and shadowing to go nuts. Touching the other TAB connections had no affect.

Taking apart your TV is dangerous, and powering it up while it is apart is more dangerous, so I'm not recommending you try this. I did not try this until the TV became unwatchable and I had resigned myself to buying a new one. With the arrival of fall and cold mornings, the lines had become large black areas that would linger through an entire show sometimes.

First, I removed the TV back, then the base (including the plate it attaches to), speakers, plastic bezel & power switch, and side panel jacks (screws only; I left the electrical connection). This leaves the LCD itself. To get at the TAB bonds, I removed the metal frame around the LCD panel. Once the metal frame is off, there is not much structure, nor anything holding the LCD to the backing other than the TAB bonds themselves. I then propped the LCD against a wooden speaker on a wooden floor. I removed the power switch from the bezel and reconneted it to the main board so I could turn the TV on. I also reconnected the speakers just in case the audio output requires a load.

After confirming which TAB bond was bad, I applied a piece of non-conductive foam wrapped in electrical tape over the area circled in red. It was just thick enough to compress the tab bond when the metal frame was re-installed. The picture has been perfect since. Good luck..

This is were I read a simalar issue concerning a tab bond issue?

Hello all - new forum member here. I used the info in the forum to successfully disassemble, repair, and reassemble my Samsung lnt4069 last night. The symptoms were identical to Mark's above. First off, and as a disclaimer - I am somewhat handy. I have been working in the IT field for over a dozen years, and was a 'hardware guy' for quite a few years. I had plenty of experience replacing components on dumb terminals, and also am a car guy - so I am comfortable with tools. Taking this apart can be pretty intimidating, I certainly nearly turned back a few times. I would not suggest most people doing this, but I (as Mark above) was ready to dispose of the unit, so why not??? Likewise, I was extremely careful to NOT TOUCH ANYTHING else while under the covers.

Anyway, I did the disassembly as Mark had noted, and in my case, I wasnt able to identify a 'single' tab that appeared problematic. Instead, multiple tabs (or more likely) the small board that they connect to was not making a firm connection to the tabs. So, I needed to find a way to gently 'push' the boards downward to make better contact. I took a piece a computer network cable (which is shielded and thus, non conductive), cut the wire to the needed length, and taped it across the top of the lcd with electrical tape to keep it in place.

When I put the bexel (metal frame) back on the lcd, I had to apply a little pressure in order to get the first 2 screw holes to line up. But after reassembly, the unit is working flawlessly. I had not been able to fire up this tv with no video issues in a LONG TIME. So, since I could today, I figured that it is at least better, if not repaired completely.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page