Samsung ln55c630 input/toslink out panel question? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-12-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use an older Harmon Kardon AVR525 for my audio processing, I bought it before there was any abundance of HDMI. It's located a fair distance from the display, and has a DVD player and a HD sat receiver plugged in via component video. There is no HDMI on board the AVR.
I"d like to buy a gaming console (or two, an xbox 360 and a PS3). and locate them on the stand where the tv is.
IF I plug the gaming consoles into the HDMI inputs on the display, will the display extract the audio from the HDMI signal and send it out the toslink audio out connector at the back of the display? This would be great if it can, because then my display will become the game console audio switcher - all I need to do is string either a toslink optical to my AVR. or a coax audio after a toslink/coax converter.

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Liked: 11
As I understand it ... 5.1 input from your HDMI will be output to the optical output as STEREO only ... so you lose the 5.1 audio in the switching via the tv. Now if the source is an HDTV program , the optical will still output full 5.1 .

I think the manual states this pretty clearly , J.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-12-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

thanks,
regarding the manual. it didn't take me long to lose it - all I managed to gain from the manual before it disappeared was that it can accept 1080p via component video, which I found unusual as I don't know of any consumer devices that put out 1080p via component.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-12-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Bent, I am not 100% sure about game systems, but I have my blu ray HDMI going into my B650, then I have the optical out from the blu ray going into my receiver. I turn off the tv's sound and select bitstream audio output from my blu ray's set up menu and it works perfectly.

If you send sound out the tv's optical audio output, it will be stereo, tho your receiver's pro logic setting will work fairly well. The above set up works as true 5.1 surround.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-26-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,
I have also noticed on the rear of this display is an analog audio-output plug, is it a proprietary plug, or a simple 1/8" stereo jack?
if it will accommodate a stereo plug, and pass analog audio audio, then I could use the tv as an auxiliary audio input switcher - the kid's game consoles don't need to be in digital format anyways.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page