Samsung TV not recognizing antenna input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-18-2011, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung LA40A550P1R LCD HD TV. I bought and previously used this TV in Europe with a satellite dish and cable input with no problems. I am back in the States now and trying to just hook up an antenna to receive HD broadcast TV. The TV will not recognize that there is an antenna attached to it. The TV has a PAL connector, the antenna has a coax cable, so I purchased the appropriate adapter. All connections are firmly seated and I even switched out the coax cable just for giggles. The antenna works perfectly fine on another TV. But again, for giggles, I switched out the antenna with another one.
Within the TV's menu settings I am supposed to see an option to let me select between 'cable' and 'air' inputs. I do not see these options in my menu. I have used the autostore function as instructed by the Samsung website FAQ advice. All I get is one very fuzzy analog station in Spanish. The TV is advertised as multi-system so this should not be a PAL/NTSC issue.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Really frustrated at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-18-2011, 08:49 PM

Are you sure it has built in ATSC tuners? If not, it is not going to work with US OTA signals as there are no more NTSC broadcast signals.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

jvernon,
Thanks for responding. No, I am not sure at all about the type of tuners it has. According to one site the TV supports:

# World-Wide NTSC/PAL/SECAM Color System - Watch any video signal on this TV!
# World-Wide NTSC M, PAL BG, PAL I, Secam BG, DK/ PAL DK TV tuners

Its all Greek to me. Knowing nothing about TVs I just figured that covered everything. And according to the Samsung site all I was supposed to do to get digital was to run autostore (a channel scan). My antennas are digital too.

So does this mean the TV is useless? Or do I just need some other type of converter thingie? Thanks again.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-19-2011, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBak View Post

The above means that the TV could have tuner that supports any free-to-air broadcasting standard. In reality, mutistandard tuners are expensive and usually found only on TV's sold in EU and here in Australia.

You have two options if the TV has PAL-only tuner:

1. Get external digital HD (set-top) tuner box ($100)
2. Call Samsung Service and ask them to send you a compatible tuner for States - It should take you 30 min to replace the tuner module (located on AV board); If you are familiar with electronics / soldering. Tuner modules are around $50 - $100, very common name in tuner modules is Alps.

By the way, it is probably worth trying to tune at least one channel on a TV that you know for sure is okay - just to make sure the TV aerial / coax cable are okay...

Boky
post #5 of 6 Old 02-19-2011, 05:04 AM

^^^^
What he said.

The days of NTSC over the air broadcasts ended here awhile ago. You may find an occasional analog throwback like a low power Azteca America but all real commercial and PBS broadcasts are via ATSC today.

Good luck!

If you have a local cable company that still has analog output, it should work with them, at least for awhile, but they will also be converting to an all digital system sometime in the near future.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-19-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBak View Post

jvernon,
Thanks for responding. No, I am not sure at all about the type of tuners it has. According to one site the TV supports:

# World-Wide NTSC/PAL/SECAM Color System - Watch any video signal on this TV!

Its all Greek to me. Knowing nothing about TVs I just figured that covered everything. And according to the Samsung site all I was supposed to do to get digital was to run autostore (a channel scan). My antennas are digital too.

So does this mean the TV is useless? Or do I just need some other type of converter thingie? Thanks again.

Nowhere on that list of supported broadcast systems is listed ATSC (the US over-the-air digital tv broadcast standard) or QAM (the US cable digital standard) and that's why you're not getting HD via antenna.

You need an external HD capable ATSC tuner box for OTA digital broadcasts.
These are few and far between because all sets mfd in or imported to the US since March of '07 are required to have ATSC tuners built in so the market for external tuners dried up.

Steve S.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page