Samsung LN32D550 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 154 Old 02-27-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
February 2011
Compromise on price but not on features. Samsung's affordable 550 LCD HDTV series delivers Full HD resolution, playback of files from USB drives or over your home network from DLNA Certified devices, a wealth of HDMI inputs, and plenty more, all wrapped up in Samsung's eye-catching "Touch of Color" design.

Crisp, Clear Picture Quality From a TV With a True Sense of Style

1080p Full HD With Four HDMI Inputs
The LN32D550 delivers Full HD 1080p resolution, for a superb level of detail and clarity in your picture. To connect your sources, four separate HDMI inputs are provided, for delivering a Full HD picture and audio over a single cable.

Touch of Color Design
Samsung's "Touch of Color" design features a hint of amber color naturally blended into Samsung's traditional piano black bezel frame, for eye-catching style even when your TV is turned off.

Samsung LN32D550 DLNA
The LN32D550 lets you stream content directly from DLNA Certified devices (PCs, network storage, etc.) over your home network.

Samsung LN32D550 Touch of Color
Samsung's "Touch of Color" design features a hint of amber color naturally blended into Samsung's traditional piano black bezel frame.

Exceeds ENERGY STAR Standards
The LN32D550 exceeds the strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the EPA and US Department of Energy by up to 30%. That means you get lower utility costs, and a smaller carbon footprint.

ConnectShare Movie
Connect a thumb drive or digital camera quickly and easily via the LN32D550's USB port. An intuitive, user-friendly interface allows access to videos, music, or pictures via the remote.

AllShare DLNA Networking
For even more entertainment options, the LN32D550 lets you connect to your home network and stream music, videos, and photos from other DLNA Certified devices (your computer, network storage drive, etc.).

Game Mode
The LN32D550 features a "game mode," which turns off much of the picture processing for a faster video response. This is ideal for fast-paced video sources like video game systems, and will help gamers get the performance they're after.

Audio Performance
SRS' TheaterSound, available in new Samsung HDTVs, is an all-in-one audio suite that directly addresses the three most common consumer TV audio complaints--inconsistent volume levels, unintelligible vocals, and poor, dimension-less sound. SRS helps ensure you get great audio from the LN32D550's two 10-watt speakers, and additional technologies like Dolby Digital Plus and support for multi-channel sound (MTS) add even more on the sonic side of things.

PC Connectivity
The LN32D550 also features a PC input, so you an use it as a computer monitor.

Video
Screen Size: 31.5 Inches
Display Type: CCFL-Backlit LCD
Resolution: 1080p Full HD
Inputs
HDMI: 4 (version 1.4)
Component Video (Y/PB/PR): 2
PC Input: 1
USB 2.0 Ports: 2
Component Audio Input: 2
PC Audio Input: 1
Outputs
Digital Audio Output: 1 (Rear)
Weight and Dimensions
Dimensions (WxHxD): 31.7 x 20 x 3.1 Inches (31.7 x 22.2 x 9.4 Inches With Stand)
Weight: 20.5 lbs. (26.5 lbs. with stand)
Image Contrast Ratio: 40000:1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 154 Old 03-26-2011, 07:58 PM

Just had this tv delivered today from Amazon. I've seen no reviews for it but so far its really a nice display. I'm using it as a PC monitor/gaming tv. Once I realized you have to label the HDMI/DVI source to PC....it looked awesome. The xbox looked great straight away and it really makes a great pc display.
post #3 of 154 Old 03-27-2011, 08:58 AM

Liked: 15
How is the viewing angle on this set?
post #4 of 154 Old 04-03-2011, 05:22 AM

Hello, I'm looking forward to any discussion of this model. I'd like to have an LCD TV that works well a a PC monitor, mostly for reading news on the web, writing in Word, and photo editing. Yes, I will play some games, like BF:BC2, but not often.

I wish I could find the manual for the 32d550 online, but Samsung's site has nothing yet, not even specs.

I tried a Panasonic Viera TC-L32U3 32" that had terrible text and photo detail qualities, and Panasonic's customer support admitted this TV is not suitable for PC use through the HDMI ports. (And the VGA would only support 768 resolution on my nVidia 460.)

So...this Samsung looks promising. I do have an LN46A650 that displays text beautifully, but it's a little too big for my desk.

Great forum, and thanks for starting this thread.

*****UPDATE***** I took the plunge after chatting with a Samsung rep who said this is definitely a good TV to use as a monitor, that it will show text sharply. Sometime this week when it arrives, I'll be an owner! Should I take some unboxing pics?
post #5 of 154 Old 04-04-2011, 05:12 PM

I'm actually looking to buy this tv for the exact same reasons you described. Could you let me know how clear text is when using it as a computer monitor? Thanks
post #6 of 154 Old 04-05-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo1dud3 View Post
I'm actually looking to buy this tv for the exact same reasons you described. Could you let me know how clear text is when using it as a computer monitor? Thanks
Sure! The TV should show up tomorrow. I'll give a fairly thorough review by the weekend, but I will post as soon as I find out whether it is suitable as a monitor or not.
post #7 of 154 Old 04-06-2011, 06:07 AM

And please dont forget high quality pictures. Thanks in advance.
post #8 of 154 Old 04-06-2011, 02:53 PM

Ok, this is a quick first impression review, mainly on the aspects of connecting to a PC.

It works great. As wiskeychris said, you MUST choose the "PC" label and use the HDMI (DVI) connector in the back (the other three HDMI ports are on the side). Choosing "PC" reconfigures the menu options available, and apparently locks in certain settings that really do turn this into a monitor. Also note there is a specific label for DVI to HDMI connections, but I haven't tried it yet to see what difference there might be.

Text is crisp and colors are accurate. I'm happy to use this for Office apps and photo editing.

I played Battlefield: Bad Company 2 with no discernible lag whatsoever, but I'm not a heavyduty gamer, just a casual player who likes to get lost in a FPS once in a while.

[Edit: I did confirm that Game Mode is automatically locked in when you label the input as PC. That is easy to see when my PC goes to sleep, and the Game Mode icon pops up in the display info box up in the upper-right corner. Note that you cannot choose Game Mode when this is set properly for a PC, as Game Mode is grayed out. I guess because it is set (and locked) by default.]

DVD's played on VideoLAN (all I got) look great.

I'm using an nVidia GTX 460, by the way, which has a mini HDMI output. The sound playing through the 460 on the TV is very good, on par with my LN46A650.

I don't feel this is too big on my desk; after using for over five hours I am used to it and don't want to go back to my 22" Samsung LCD monitor.

The included pic was taken 8" away from the screen with a 4.0MP Canon PowerShot.

Sorry to be brief, but I'm way behind in studies and running late for a class.

Bottom line, this is working out great for me as a monitor. I'll try to be a bit more complete this weekend and answer questions.

Cheers!

PS The neck of the stand is solid black, and the stand itself is sturdy enough. Easy to assemble.
LL
post #9 of 154 Old 04-08-2011, 10:28 AM

Is it a glossy or matte screen?
post #10 of 154 Old 04-08-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNCheez View Post

Is it a glossy or matte screen?

Moderately matte. Excellent during the day when I have my office shades up, but still rich and sharp for photos.
post #11 of 154 Old 04-14-2011, 03:21 AM

UPS is supposed to be delivering my unit anywhere between 9 AM and 7 PM on Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes.
post #12 of 154 Old 04-14-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuri View Post

UPS is supposed to be delivering my unit anywhere between 9 AM and 7 PM on Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Enjoy it!
post #13 of 154 Old 04-14-2011, 04:22 PM

Looks like the product page is finally up. No firmware downloads (which I guess is a good thing).

Received the unit a few hours ago. Pedestal is glossy black plastic instead of clear; comes in two sections, requires a Philips screwdriver. Panel is SQ01, according to the sticker on the side of the unit itself. The sticker on the box also claims it is an SQ01. I have not entered the service manual to confirm -- I'm a bit leery about that. I do not detect any defects or damage in the display -- light (and dark) looks solidly uniform in all sectors of the screen. I calibrated the PQ according to the recommendations in televisioninfo.com's review of the 46" model. I then adjusted color and sharpness upward to meet my personal preferences. I also switched the tone from "Warm 2" to "Warm 1."

I set the picture to "Movie" mode. It appears to automatically disable the potentially dubious features like Black Tone, Dynamic Contrast, Shadow Detail, and Edge Enhancement. SRS audio features are also off by default.

Clear QAM 1080i:

Netflix streamed over Xbox 360 (with component cables, mind):

I noted that the television was upscaling the Netflix stream to 1080i automatically, according to the "info" button. The result, either because of the 360's hardware or the television's, is surprisingly comparable to clear QAM 1080i, to my untrained eye.

Same scene via Roku box over HDMI:

Looks like I need to de-saturate the component connection

Clear QAM channel list:

Inputs:

Edit: There are two USB ports and three HDMI ports on the right-hand side of the unit (as you're facing towards it).

Remote:

Let me know if you want to see photos of other things. I'm shooting at 2048x1536 -- I've just scaled them down to fit cleanly into this post. I have the originals if you wanna see em.

The remote is enormous, by the way -- nearly ten inches long.
post #14 of 154 Old 04-14-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuri View Post

Panel is SQ01, according to the sticker on the side of the unit itself. The sticker on the box also claims it is an SQ01

What should i be looking for on the box label that indicates this best panel type offered for this 32D550 line? I am just waiting until my local Best Buy carries this in the store and hopefully they realize that their pricing is way off because the difference in this model and the 37D550 they have at the store is the 37" is $6.00 more...so they are overpricing the 32" by about $130...but i will be getting the 32" to use solely as a computer monitor so hopefully they fix the pricing error. Oh and the reason i am going thru Best Buy is because i have gift cards...
post #15 of 154 Old 04-14-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopino View Post

What should i be looking for on the box label that indicates this best panel type offered for this 32D550 line?

There is an index-card sized sticker on each side of the box that looks like this:

I've blacked out my serial number and circled the important part.
post #16 of 154 Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 PM

Sweet thank you! So is the SQ01 version an s- pva panel?
post #17 of 154 Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 PM

My pleasure. And yes, the SQ01 is supposed to be S-PVA.

Edit: Here's a shot from a 720p MKV file streamed from my computer to the TV, using the built-in DLNA. The tone reproduction here isn't accurate -- it's much warmer on the screen.

I've put together a small photo album.

post #18 of 154 Old 04-15-2011, 06:59 AM

looks like next to no difference to C550. only thing i can spot is slightly different remote with no HDMI button which sucks. and if the stand isn't all glass then i guess they cheaped out this time around for this model. will be interesting to see the manual all the same. maybe the media player is better
post #19 of 154 Old 04-15-2011, 05:33 PM

Unfortunately, the "manual" is only 19 pages long (all English). The "quick guide" on the product page at Samsung's website is just a PDF replication of it. The "manual" listed on their site is just a PDF replication of the TV's built-in "E-manual" ... and it's white text on a black background, so there's no point in printing it out.

As far as I know, the most substantial difference with the D series is that you can adjust dynamic contrast. It's still not completely disabled according to that review I linked a few posts up, but the effect isn't too bad. Since dark scenes can get overly "inky," and brighter scenes can get washed out, I can see why Samsung was perhaps reluctant to let users reduce the effect -- because it compensates for apparent weakness in contrast processing.

What does the HDMI button do, by the way?
post #20 of 154 Old 04-16-2011, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 88
In the pic in above post did I correctly notice analog audio out so I can connect to computer speakers? That would be good for me because Samsung has eliminated analog audio on their plasmas this year.
post #21 of 154 Old 04-17-2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

In the pic in above post did I correctly notice analog audio out so I can connect to computer speakers? That would be good for me because Samsung has eliminated analog audio on their plasmas this year.

Yes, you did notice analog audio. I've tried it with headphones, but it would fit my PC speakers.

Talking about the C series...Was it this good for using as a monitor too? Anybody else try the new D550 with a PC yet?

Battlefield: Bad Company is absolutely incredible, as is photo editing. I've got old photos I took with a little Canon SureShot film camera that reveal details I've never noticed before. Lovin' it.

As for Netflix, if I go full screen, I get some tearing and stuttering, but I know that is my connection. My best result is using Google Chrome's full screen mode, not Netflix's full screen.

Lastly, and it is a change of topic, have other HDTV lovers noticed how much extreme time compression cable channels are using on reruns and older movies? The worst example I've seen is TV Land, Bonanza, but USA and others are doing it too. If you know about this issue, can you point me to an appropriate discussion thread? Thanks!
post #22 of 154 Old 04-17-2011, 07:36 AM

Liked: 15
How is the viewing angle on this bad boy? I hope it doesnt wash out quickly when viewing a little to the side
post #23 of 154 Old 04-18-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickaim9 View Post

How is the viewing angle on this bad boy? I hope it doesnt wash out quickly when viewing a little to the side

I briefly had the latest Panasonic 32" Viera, which I returned because it wouldn't work as a monitor for me, but it did have the best horizontal viewing angle of any LCD I've seen--say about 140 - 150 degrees (no, not quite the advertised 170 degrees from what I saw).

The D550 is not quite as good as that, I'd say more like 125 degrees or so; however, it is a significant improvement over my LN46A650. (Thank goodness for the swivel base on that TV!)

I don't see the viewing angle as much of an issue on a 32" TV, but I am using it in a narrow office, and mostly as a monitor. My wife and I sit side by side, about 7' to 8' feet from the screen, to watch Netflix stuff, so there it isn't an issue either.

I continue to be very pleased with the sound and overall performance and value.
post #24 of 154 Old 04-18-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Maple View Post

Battlefield: Bad Company is absolutely incredible, as is photo editing. I've got old photos I took with a little Canon SureShot film camera that reveal details I've never noticed before. Lovin' it.

It's my understanding that this TV's S-PVA panel is doing 10-bit color processing, so that probably has something to do with it. It also upscales 720p surprisingly well. I compared images of the Roku stream against my Xbox screen (720p versus upscaling to 1080i), and I can barely tell the difference. You wouldn't know that the Roku was feeding 720p stretched by the TV unless you were comparing reference images side-by-side.

Since BF:BC is not rendering internally at 720p, let alone 1080i/p, it's nice to have a display that can stretch or upscale as good as this one.

Either way, color reproduction looks slightly better through HDMI than component, even after extensive tweaking and amateur calibration. Blues have given me the most problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Maple View Post

As for Netflix, if I go full screen, I get some tearing and stuttering, but I know that is my connection. My best result is using Google Chrome's full screen mode, not Netflix's full screen.

When I watch Netflix on the TV through my Roku box or through the Xbox, it's perfectly fluid. It sounds like your computer's CPU is being pushed to its limit. You may be able to get the video card to do hardware acceleration, but I wouldn't know the details. You'd have to Google it, unless someone else here can answer that. Stuttering is normal with a slower connection, but tearing is a local processing issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickaim9 View Post

It looks pretty good once the TV has warmed up, from what I can tell.
post #25 of 154 Old 04-20-2011, 05:24 AM

Mercuri, the problem with Netflix is definitely not my hardware. I built my system with a Core i7 950, an nVidia GT 460, a very fast Gigabyte motherboard, and 12 GB of RAM.

I've played with all my settings, so I'm pretty sure it's my download speed, which maxes out at 6 Mbps, thanks to AT&T DSL; often I start a movie, and a few minutes later get the message about my internet connection slowing down.

Any type of video from my HDD is as smooth as it can be.

The one thing that surprises me a little about the D550 is how only Standard mode allows full access to the available settings. In any other mode, most choices are locked (grayed out). I guess they do this on purpose so that one mode is clearly different from another?
post #26 of 154 Old 04-20-2011, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The Samsung 550 has been one of the best 60hz TVs available for the past several years. The new D550 seems to uphold that tradition very well.
post #27 of 154 Old 05-01-2011, 04:30 AM

Mercuri, for what it's worth, dynamic contrast seems to be completely disabled in game mode.
post #28 of 154 Old 05-05-2011, 09:51 PM

Has anyone tested this unit and has a verifiable input lag number in ms?
post #29 of 154 Old 05-06-2011, 08:17 AM

Liked: 12
Hey guys.... choices choices...

I've been using LG 32LD450 w/IPS panel for the last 4 weeks or so as PC montior... Gaming and web browsing... Text looks awesome on it as it passes 4:4:4 chrome test... The input lag is pretty low... The only negative thing are black levels...

Would this new sammy with S-PVA be un upgrade or better than my current LG 32LD450display as PC monitor (DVI to HDMI) for PC gaming, web browsing and some movie watching? BTW... is this the same S-PVA panel as used in Sony Bravia's EX4 series?
post #30 of 154 Old 05-07-2011, 11:58 AM

just got my LN32D550 yesterday, set it up and connected it to my pc via dvi-hdmi and it has a dead pixel on the lower right which doesn't bother me at all because it is barely noticeable, however, what does bother me is the yellowish tint it has on light color field right in the middle of the screen spanning the entire middle from top to bottom. For instance, i was checking my yahoo email and it is definitely noticeable as the middle of the screen was tinted yellow/brownish. It seems it might be the coating on the screen or something because the problem seems to shift as i move off center, but when looking at it on center it looks bad...the main purpose is for a pc monitor so this one will have to go back. Anybody else noticing a weird color tint on an all white background??
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page