Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 563 Old 05-11-2011, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crstrand View Post

Sounds like contacting Sharp Aquos Advantage is the way to go.
I'll be prepared with a picture of my clouding.
I had read about the phenomenon, but didn't notice it until my brand new 832U was warmed up. Now I can't NOT see it.

Been tweaking for days on my 835u. Still have all the clouding.

Trying to connect with Aquos dvantage... will definitely report back here.

Extremely sadly disappointed!! Ordered from Beach and can't return the POS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 563 Old 05-12-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dyer View Post

Well.... the two examples are not true PIP but picture + net. The picture is the video feed through the tuner/cable/sat and the net is the Internet Aquos or apps net feed. So, you can surf the weather, news, movie etc. during those 12 min commercials. The Aquos net is very limited at this time.

I use the Logitech Revue Google TV for full Internet surfing on this TV.

so Robert, i am still confuse, are you spliting the screen with the logitech revue, so does that mean that i can split the screen with cable box and tv tuner, cable box and dvd player, or is it just with the net apps.
post #183 of 563 Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 PM

The screen is split vertically by the Aquos Net application. On the left side is the input source: OTA, cable, sat, BluRay, Logitech Revue etc. On the right side is the Sharp Aquos Network and widgets. This side currently is limited to no sound. Audio is only on the input source side.
post #184 of 563 Old 05-14-2011, 08:04 PM

I'm definitely going to purchase the 60" 832.

Can anyone tell me what apps are on this TV? All I seem to be able to find anywhere are netflix, HULU and VUDU.

I want to know if there is a Pandora app on this TV. Can anyone tell me?

Can anyone point me to a list of apps available?

Thank you for your assistance.
post #185 of 563 Old 05-15-2011, 10:12 AM

Hi folks,

I'm confused here. I got the 60LE832U and Internet Setup was a breeze. Got the hang of Apps, etc. But there's one thing I'm confused about...can the TV be used like a PC in the sense that there's a web browser, and that I can enter an IP adress into an address bar, e.g., http://www.google.com? If so, how do you go about it?

Please don't ridicule me if this is an absurdly stupid question.
post #186 of 563 Old 05-15-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM950S View Post

Hi folks,

I'm confused here. I got the 60LE832U and Internet Setup was a breeze. Got the hang of Apps, etc. But there's one thing I'm confused about...can the TV be used like a PC in the sense that there's a web browser, and that I can enter an IP adress into an address bar, e.g., http://www.google.com? If so, how do you go about it?

Please don't ridicule me if this is an absurdly stupid question.

It has internet capability via the built in apps. you cannot simply surf the web as you would with a computer typing in a web address. you can however use this tv as a computer monitor by connecting a laptop to it.
post #187 of 563 Old 05-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyfanatic View Post

I'm definitely going to purchase the 60" 832.

Can anyone tell me what apps are on this TV? All I seem to be able to find anywhere are netflix, HULU and VUDU.

I want to know if there is a Pandora app on this TV. Can anyone tell me?

Can anyone point me to a list of apps available?

Thank you for your assistance.

Well, there are a whole bunch and it is a bit confusing how it works which may explain why no one has replied. There is no current listing on the SharpUSA website and it has been asked a few times now so I'll give it a go.

When you hit the APPS button, you are offered the following options: VUDU > Netflix > CinemaNow > Blockbuster > Alphaline > Napster > AQUOSnet > AquosAdvantage Live > USB Media > DLNA

Selecting any APPS option except VUDU takes you to that one particular internet service interface.

Selecting the VUDU app option opens a screen with the VUDU|movies internet service interface, plus several more service interface apps or Podcast app widgets including streaming video, music on demand, photo browsing, social networking and more. Non-VUDU|movies related widgets currently include:

(13) Featured apps like Pandora, Twitter, Facebook, Picassa, Weather and a Stock Tracker/Ticker;
(24) News widgets;
(19) Arts & Entertainment widgets;
(5) Internet Culture widgets;
(2) Gaming widgets;
(11) Science & Technology widgets;
(5) Music widgets;
(6) Sports widgets;
(9) Travel & Lifestyle widgets.

These apps and widgets are categorized by Most Popular/Newest/Browse By Genre. The widgets might take you to podcasts of past episodes, sneak previews, interviews, documentaries or inside behind the scenes short stories etc. Some are simple no-brainer crap, some contain interesting, even outstanding intellectual content, many offer truly stunning and glorious HD video.

The VUDU apps and widgets are rated on a 1-5 star system. Looks like maybe 1/4 - 1/3 of the total are 4, 4-1/2 or 5 star. It has taken me a while to make my way through the 4's and 5's and still not done yet. When I loaded the latest firmware from SharpUSA I noticed an increase, but no idea how often new apps are added. I would like to see an Amazon streaming widget for the unlimited Prime Instant Videos.

I have to mention I was wow'd by my freebie VUDU movie. No buffering lag or judder thru my WirelessN, just very, very nice 1080p HDX in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. I think I might have to start tapping that HD library, especially since you can pay as you go with no subscription.

You can find a listing of the VUDU apps and widgets at: http://www.vudu.com/vuduapps.html

Hope that helps.
post #188 of 563 Old 05-15-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM950S View Post

...can enter an IP adress into an address bar, e.g., http://www.google.com? If so, how do you go about it?

Hack it!

Quote:

Those that have a Sharp Aquos device with the aqous.net feature know disappointment. It was advertised as a 'Internet Ready' type of device, however you can only view information in Sharp's Web2.0 style widgets. (Very Apple of them...) Sharp took many steps to keep you contained in their approved web area. It is possible to free your TV from aquos.net and surf the real internet. Sharp uses NetFront (by Access) web browsers. This a common compact browser available for many portable devices.

Here is how to Fix Aquos Net on your TV:

Insert standard disclaimer here: This shouldn't break your TV but use at your own risk. This might violate something, somewhere, somehow; if Sharp tosses you in jail, don't call me. For educational purposes only...

Needed: Webserver
Local DNS or Web Proxy

You can use a local *NIX server or a MS product or even a DD-WRT configured router. I use a Debian server with DNSmasq and Apache on my LAN, so that is what I use. Ensure your TV is using your local DNS server for the ethernet. You can either manually configure the TV of set your DHCP server to issue a local DNS.

The process is a simple DNS Hijack with a twist. You have to Hijack twice and in proper order to accomplish the hack (traditional definition, not pop culture hack). Sharp first directs the TV to www.aquos.net to load a encapsulating page to contain all the widgets. Then the browser loads the 3rd party content in the encapsulated widget. First we need to hijack one of the widgets. I chose Access Hollywood.

Redirect domain special.accesshollywood.com to your local web server:

address=/special.accesshollywood.com/192.168.0.1

That is a generic dnsmasq.conf line. Assuming your local web server is 192.168.0.1.

In the web server create a new directory in the www folder named 'sharpaqous' That is the default directory for the Access Hollywood widget. In the sharpaqous directory add a HTML file named 'screen.php'

For me this is: /home/www/sharpaquos/screen.php

screen.php is a simple file with a link:

Google

Just enough to get you free of sharp.

Restart your DNS server (for me this is '/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart') and start your Aquos.net. Browse to the Access Hollywood widget and you should see a plain white screen with 'Google' in the top left corner. This is your first victory!

Use the 'D' button on the remote to bookmark the page.

If you look in the menu feature after you press 'D' and view the page info, you will see the Google page is really just a encapsulated page still pointing to the real Access Hollywood page. We are not done yet. Now we need to hijack the whole thing...

On your DNS server redirect www.aquos.net to your local server.

address=/www.aquos.net/192.168.0.1

Add another directory to your web server:

/home/www/PortalActions/

Copy the 'screen.php' file to this directory and rename it 'encapsulate.php'

cp /home/www/sharpaquos/screen.php /home/www/PortalActions/encapsulate.php

Restart your DNS Server.

Open Aquos.net on your TV again. You should get a TCP error. And nothing loads. OK, now you broke it.

Using 'D' again load the bookmark we made for Access Hollywood.

This will open the encapsulate.php page we are hosting giving you the single Google link again. If you click on your Google link, you will be sent to Google with no Sharp encapsulating. (This is important because the Sharp encapsulating with interfere with external sites.)

Bookmark www.google.com and delete the Access Hollywood bookmark.

You can use Google to find everything by searching for the URL and following links or on your encapsulate.php add a link to a webpage that you serve with a URL redirect. Then book mark your redirect page. I used a simple CGI program in C. Checks the 'Query String' and printf the http-equiv Refresh line.

Remove both redirects from your dns server. Let aqous.net on the TV work again. Just use the bookmarks to access the real internet.

The browser is kind of slow and clunky. No Flash support. But hey it is what we do right?

Tim

source: http://off-the-clock.timothy-nicole-...ctronics/Aquos
post #189 of 563 Old 05-16-2011, 04:26 AM

Is there a way to get into the Service Menu on this 832? I'm looking for more advanced settings in addition to the regular user settings.....I.e. On my old Sammy Dlp I used to hit "mute, 1,8,2 then power" to pull up the SM calibrators would use.....ChadB any advice?

Thanks....
post #190 of 563 Old 05-17-2011, 07:02 AM

For people still looking for calibration settings to try out, CNET posted an in-depth review of the 830 series on 5/12/2011. The 832's are supposed to be very similar to the 830, except the 832's have the 240hz refresh option. Seemed like the review's overall feel was 'average' for the 830 series.

Review

Calibration Settings

I've had this set for a couple of weeks. I was struggling with tweaking the colors a bit, since blue filter test patterns don't really work with this. I've used the CNET calibration settings with Game mode and my 360, and have been pretty happy with it (except the backlight settings, I use OPC range -10 to +8). Haven't watched any blu-rays yet with these settings, though I have watched some bits of streamed HD content.

This is the first of 4 Sharp LCD tv's I've had where I have to use game mode with the 360 to deal with input lag. The other three Sharps I've had I could always tweak User mode and never noticed any lag between the controller and what was displayed. I noticed it right away with this set in Halo/Call of Duty.
post #191 of 563 Old 05-18-2011, 06:38 AM

I bought an LC60LE832U from Costco less three days ago. I am connected to Comcast while working through the familiarization process. Here are my two, initial problems. Each morning the TV powers up with no audio or video. I can immediately get the video by going through the Quick Set Up (HDMI1 Input). The audio is still a mystery. I read the manual and jack around with MENU settings, occasionally turning the unit off-then-back-on. At some point the audio comes on when the set comes on! I trust that I will figure this out but I would appreciate any help in learning the errors of my ways sooner rather than later!
post #192 of 563 Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 AM

YapperFlapper:
I tried those calibration settings and they look great! I adjusted the backlighting and brightness to my liking but regardless, those settings are the best I've found so far.

Still having an issue with my set though. I get a strange "jittering/stuttering" effect occasionally but it doesn't happen on a consistent basis. It's hard to explain but it almost seems like a video processing error. I don't think it has anything to do with on screen movement because it will happen in dialog only scenes as well as fast movement. It's most noticeable while playing PS3 games, but it does happen while watching regular cable too. I'm having someone come out next week to look at it. I'll most likely be getting a replacement.
post #193 of 563 Old 05-19-2011, 12:22 PM

these calibrations were performed by CNET I think they look pretty good
--Picture Settings menu

AV MODE: MOVIE
OPC: Off
Backlight: +4
Contrast: +30
Brightness: +1
Color: 0
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
R: 0
Y: +4
G: -5
C: +2
B: 0
M: +2

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: 0
Y: -2
G: -1
C: 0
B: -7
M: 0

C.M.S. -Value
R: +2
Y: 0
G: +9
C: +4
B: +3
M: 0

Color Gamut Range: Standard

Color Temp: Low
R Gain (LO): +11
G Gain (LO): +7
B Gain (LO): +13
R Gain (HI): -2
G Gain (HI): -7
B Gain (HI): 0

Motion Enhancement: 120Hz High
Quad Pixel Plus: On
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: +2
Film Mode: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: [any]
post #194 of 563 Old 05-20-2011, 05:35 AM

I tried these settings with my DISH HD receiver and didn't like them. I think the problem is that DISH's best HD signal is 1080i. I get the best satellite-based picture on my 60" 832 in the Dynamic Fixed viewing mode.

I will try the cnet settings with a dvd/blue ray and see if it makes a difference.
post #195 of 563 Old 05-20-2011, 06:10 PM

I have the 830U 52 inch, and I have noticed that when watching sporting events, like Soccer or Golf, sometimes football, if I keep my eye on one spot of tv when the camera pans left or right with movement of the game, I see Verticle Lines on the tv. Its most noticeable when the background is green like the field. Has anyone else noticed this? Trying to decide if I should take it back and get another one.

Thanks, Dearsmiths
post #196 of 563 Old 05-24-2011, 05:53 PM

New software update available -version 207u1104271. The message popped up on my screen a little while ago. Don't know what it includes but message said it will take 31 minutes to update.
post #197 of 563 Old 05-24-2011, 07:11 PM

Well, I exchanged the 46" for a 60" 832 a couple of weeks ago. Build date was 4/15/11 and the original software version was 115U1102232. Did a manual update when initially setup and installed v. 202U1103301 (4min. update time estimate) and got another update notification today for 207U1104271 (20min. update time estimate). Like to know what is impacted.
post #198 of 563 Old 05-24-2011, 07:37 PM

Downloaded new update today as well.... Anyone know what it covered?
post #199 of 563 Old 05-24-2011, 07:40 PM

Like the set, but this evening the front panel stopped working. A power reset reactivated the panel, however, the 'buttons' do not light up. I believe that they did/are supposed to.

Can other owners advise?

Thanks.
post #200 of 563 Old 05-25-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKITWO View Post
Downloaded new update today as well.... Anyone know what it covered?
Actually, there is a short description of the prior update content posted on SharpUSA.com. Nothing, however, for this latest yet.

For the prior update:
Quote:
This Firmware Update adds streaming media apps Alphaline, Blockbuster and Napster. It also improves performance of Vudu, DLNA and USB movie playback features.

This update includes all previous fixes and improvements.

Version: 202U1103301

Date: 4/15/2011
post #201 of 563 Old 05-25-2011, 06:11 PM

No info on the new updates I checked on Sharps website and it still shows the update for 4-15-2011 anyone have any info?
post #202 of 563 Old 05-25-2011, 06:44 PM

I know what the update didn't cover. Still seeing some motion/juddering problems.
post #203 of 563 Old 05-26-2011, 03:39 AM

My experience with my 830, you need to take Film Mode off and 120 refresh rate off to get rid of the judder.

dearsmiths
post #204 of 563 Old 05-27-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharper1 View Post

Like the set, but this evening the front panel stopped working. A power reset reactivated the panel, however, the 'buttons' do not light up. I believe that they did/are supposed to.

Can other owners advise?

Thanks.

No the buttons do not light up

Firmware update is supposed to improve performance of wired and wireless networking setup as well as improves C.M.S resetting functionality.

When I was in Costco tonight I noticed the 832u wasn't on display anymore. I asked the electronics employee about it and he claims Costco isn't getting anymore of these in. He said they will continue to carry the 3D version.
post #205 of 563 Old 05-28-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearsmiths View Post

My experience with my 830, you need to take Film Mode off and 120 refresh rate off to get rid of the judder.

dearsmiths

I've had both of those off since the very beginning. It does help, but I still see it. I notice it quite frequently watching sports, especially when the channel is scrolling scores across the bottom. I guess its just not bad enough for me to return the tv, or I'm just too lazy. I did watch a couple blu-rays last night and didn't see it, so that was encouraging.
post #206 of 563 Old 05-28-2011, 02:15 PM

Hi, just ordered Sharp 52" 830U.
Want to know if it's apps stream Youtube.
Also, how is the picture quality in presenting standard def. movies?
Thanks,
Pttoo2
post #207 of 563 Old 05-28-2011, 07:57 PM

Have a sharp 60 inch LE831U and i am having issues with facebook and netflixs. Had no problems setting up the wireless internet, everything went REALLY smoothly.

But when I try to stream a netflix movie it gets about 20% thru and says We're having problems playing this selection. Please try something else.

I have tried about 10 different things, same thing everytime, and its at the same point when it is retrieving the movie.

With facebook, I attempt to go to the app and it says I have to activate it before I can use facebook. I have no clue what I am activating. I just regestered with aquos advantage, but that didn't fix it.

Anyone have a suggestion?
post #208 of 563 Old 05-28-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiumike View Post

With facebook, I attempt to go to the app and it says I have to activate it before I can use facebook. I have no clue what I am activating. I just regestered with aquos advantage, but that didn't fix it.

Anyone have a suggestion?
I believe you have to set up your Vudu account to get access to the Facebook app

Also it does appear that Costco won't be carrying the 832u anymore. On cstates com it states "while supplies last" and they now have a $200 instant rebate. I went back to my local Costco to have the price adjusted on my tv
post #209 of 563 Old 05-29-2011, 08:49 AM

That would make sense. Plus the netflix just started working.

Perhaps it takes a day for everything to set up with netflixs. Love the TV, really easy to set up.
post #210 of 563 Old 05-29-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post

I've had both of those off since the very beginning. It does help, but I still see it. I notice it quite frequently watching sports, especially when the channel is scrolling scores across the bottom. I guess its just not bad enough for me to return the tv, or I'm just too lazy. I did watch a couple blu-rays last night and didn't see it, so that was encouraging.

Hi, SAWMAN

Looks like you are doing deep inspection of this new TV.
Since I also ordered the same unit.
I like to know:
(1) How good is this unit showing standard def. pictures (quality)?
(2) How to watch YOUTUBE on this unit?
Thanks,
pttoo2
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page