Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 101 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
got my 55hx929 from crutchfield this morning. i should have been more careful inspecting the box, because after signing for it I noticed there was a 'drop n tell' device on one side that looks triggered.

haven't opened it up yet to setup, i'm hoping everything will be fine when i setup tonight. either way i've passed it on to crutchfield
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsidiousFix View Post

I had those other 3d options on mine prior to the firmware update. I used it to look at some stereoscopic "things" i found online. :P

That's odd, I never had those options before the update.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb2227 View Post

because after signing for it I noticed there was a 'drop n tell' device on one side that looks triggered.

How exactly does that "Drop N Tell" device work?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

How exactly does that "Drop N Tell" device work?

not positive, but it looks like both sides start red, and if the package is shocked enough, some die must be released which turns the arrows blue. there are 2 sentences on a sticker next to it explaining it which i cut out in the picture
Old 06-16-2011, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This thread is whack! If this is supposed to be the best led this year & the blacks are so Kuro-esque, why aren't more pictures being posted? The Kuro has its on pictures thread! Lets see how this tv compares.... And yes this is a challenge to all the owner!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:15 PM

What would you guys say about buyng an extended warranty? Do you really need to worry?
Old 06-16-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
This thread is whack! If this is supposed to be the best led this year & the blacks are so Kuro-esque, why aren't more pictures being posted? The Kuro has its on pictures thread! Lets see how this tv compares.... And yes this is a challenge to all the owner!!!
Outta the box: uncalibrated

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
Old 06-16-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO

Outta the box: uncalibrated
Looks good!........that bodes well for post tweaking :-D think I will get this TV, extra cost be damned! Sorry Panasonic maybe when I'm upgrading again in 5 years time!!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan1paxton View Post
Looks good!........that bodes well for post tweaking :-D think I will get this TV, extra cost be damned! Sorry Panasonic maybe when I'm upgrading again in 5 years time!!
Yep and Only if Panasonic fixes the Fluctuating Brightness issue.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51

Yep and Only if Panasonic fixes the Fluctuating Brightness issue.
Truer words have never been spoken!!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post
My 46" 929 arrived this afternoon outta the box very nice a few minor adjustments I'm going to let it run for a few days to run in the pixels before I do a WOW calibration. But, out of the box, extremely nice it certainly give my XBR8 a run for the money. BTW I'm convinced that the PQ on the 46" model excels vs the 55" and probaly the 65" which I attribute to the sma number of Zones on all models so the tighter grid on the 46" allows for better lighting control.
Hi Rizzo,

Man, it's great to see you on here, and many congratulations on the new 46HX929! By any chance, would you be able/willing to hook it up to a computer and check the number of zones using the "mouse test?" (or has someone else already done this??) The idea is, you put up a totally black image on the computer that fills the screen, and then slowly move the PC's mouse pointer across the screen, first horizontally and then vertically, to count the number of zones on each axis. When the pointer reaches a new zone, you should see it light up just a little bit and the zone just left also should darken a little bit. This test definitely is best performed in a very dark room (you know--nighttime, window blinds down, all lights off, etc.). For but only for the purposes of the test, it might even be useful to set brightness to an improperly low level, contrast to an improperly high level, and max out on the backlight. That's what I did with my locally dimmed Samsungs, anyway, and it worked like a charm.

-Noob
Old 06-16-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Noob View Post
Hi Rizzo,

Man, it's great to see you on here, and many congratulations on the new 46HX929! By any chance, would you be able/willing to hook it up to a computer and check the number of zones using the "mouse test?" (or has someone else already done this??) The idea is, you put up a totally black image on the computer that fills the screen, and then slowly move the PC's mouse pointer across the screen, first horizontally and then vertically, to count the number of zones on each axis. When the pointer reaches a new zone, you should see it light up just a little bit and the zone just left also should darken a little bit. This test definitely is best performed in a very dark room (you know--nighttime, window blinds down, all lights off, etc.). For but only for the purposes of the test, it might even be useful to set brightness to an improperly low level, contrast to an improperly high level, and max out on the backlight. That's what I did with my locally dimmed Samsungs, anyway, and it worked like a charm.

72 zones for my 46"
Old 06-16-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granzon

72 zones for my 46"
Well, there goes Rizzos idea he had convinced himself of. 72 zones on the 46 and I counted 105 on my 55 inch. So the PQ can't be attributed to more compacted zones. Not sure why people on this thread ,say things they aren't sure of,as uf they were well researched fact.

I'm still considering swapping out my 55 for a 65 when it comes out later this year. All this talk if less zones on the larger sets made me second guess that idea. But now I'm back on board since that is a bunch if nonsense.

Originally posted that I counted 112. Was just going off memory. Scrolled back through to my post and saw I was off by 7. So instead of 112 zones on the 55, it's 105. But still more than the 46 inch.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 PM

Seems quite a lot of the UK guys are starting to get their HX923 screens now, but all of them so far have had the dreaded "crease" or dark vertical line down the edge of the screen about 1cm in...not looking good

Any more of you guys seen this?
Old 06-16-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
FYI, a Sony rep replied to my post on their support forum regarding wireless adapter fails to connect if the SSID is not broadcast. He said that the issue will be sent to engineering for analysis. The thread was then locked from further posts (a number of other people replied with the same problem on other sets). So not sure if we will get a fix in the future but Sony now knows about it.

Phil Tomaskovic
Old 06-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, there goes Rizzos idea he had convinced himself of. 72 zones on the 46 and I counted 112 on my 55 inch. So the PQ can't be attributed to more compacted zones. Not sure why people on this thread ,say things they aren't sure of,as uf they were well researched fact.

I'm still considering swapping out my 55 for a 65 when it comes out later this year. All this talk if less zones on the larger sets made me second guess that idea. Bit now I'm back on board since that is a bunch if nonsense.

+1

Have any idea when we will be able to order the 65? Mabye we can order it in July with an Aug release date?

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

+1

Have any idea when we will be able to order the 65? Mabye we can order it in July with an Aug release date?

I was told by my store that they are looking at an October release. I know you can pre order. A retailer in Ohio on this thread has a good deal for the 65.:-)
Old 06-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was told by my store that they are looking at an October release. I know you can pre order. A retailer in Ohio on this thread has a good deal for the 65.:-)

October release date?

Well I guess good things come to those who Waite. Any idea why it's taking them so long? I herd a rumor it was because of the Gorilla Glass?

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Old 06-16-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:

October release date?

Well I guess good things come to those who Waite. Any idea why it's taking them so long? I herd a rumor it was because of the Gorilla Glass?

I have not heard official reasons. The only thing I keep hearing is that delays are cause of the earthquake/tsunami. But who knows if that's just some retailer using news he knows everyone is familiar with to answer a question he doesn't really know the answer to. But it makes a certain amount of sense.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have not heard official reasons. The only thing I keep hearing is that delays are cause of the earthquake/tsunami. But who knows if that's just some retailer using news he knows everyone is familiar with to answer a question he doesn't really know the answer to. But it makes a certain amount of sense.

Did that retailer in Ohio or anyone else find out how much they expect the 65 to go for?

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Old 06-16-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda steffen View Post

no, the backlight is on and not at max.

The first deliverys are out for germany - and it seems that there are many problems with the screen. Also with a strange "stripe or band" in the right and left side on the screen.

Quality problems???

Thanks for posting this info.

Here's an image from that German forum about the crease problem. I have the same thing and have to wait another 2 weeks for a new tv (6 weeks total for this purchase). A guy from the store came over and took pictures of this crease that will be sent to SONY.

And here's a cut away of the tv. Notice the plastic strip that goes around the tv screen.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:54 PM

Liked: 14
It would be nice/appreciated if someone would start an owners thread for this tv down in the 3D display forum.
It would be a great service to those that rank 3D a big part of their decision (as in, sony crosstalk verses panny flucuating brightness) in purchasing.
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post

It would be nice/appreciated if someone would start an owners thread for this tv down in the 3D display forum.
It would be a great service to those that rank 3D a big part of their decision (as in, sony crosstalk verses panny flucuating brightness) in purchasing.
Thanks in advance!

I saw the 3D on the 55HX929 in the Sony store last weekend and I thought it looked amazing. I thought it had slightly better pop and clarity then the VT30, probaly due to the 929's brighter screen and deeper blacks. However the VT30 does an amazing job with 3D and I had no complaints.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Old 06-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGEN View Post

Thanks for posting this info.

Here's an image from that German forum about the crease problem. I have the same thing and have to wait another 2 weeks for a new tv (6 weeks total for this purchase). A guy from the store came over and took pictures of this crease that will be sent to SONY.

I'm pretty sure it's normal and is due to backlighting. However unless that picture is making that seem way more obvious.. that's about 400% worse than mine. I've never noticed mine, unless I get up out of my chair.. put on a solid image.. and then stand at a angle about a foot from the screen. As you can see from the pics you can barely see it on the closeup of the corner, however my camera masks it. I would say it's about 2-3x more noticable IRL than my pics show. Still have never noticed it without a solid image on the screen and standing near the TV. Would not be surprised if what you are experiencing is normal and your replacement does the same. It's light leakage from the backlight.

--------------

On a side note, does anyone else have a noticable banding line around 40% up the TV (slightly below the middle), that goes across the entire screen? Usually only noticable on lighter colored pans, but it's pretty obvious when you see it.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post

I'm pretty sure it's normal and is due to backlighting. However unless that picture is making that seem way more obvious.. that's about 400% worse than mine. I've never noticed mine, unless I get up out of my chair.. put on a solid image.. and then stand at a angle about a foot from the screen. As you can see from the pics you can barely see it on the closeup of the corner.

--------------

On a side note, does anyone else have a noticable banding line around 40% up the TV (slightly below the middle), that goes across the entire screen? Usually only noticable on lighter colored pans, but it's pretty obvious when you see it.

Try using a green picture slide, I'm told our eyes are more likely to see defects in this color spectrum.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Old 06-16-2011, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granzon View Post

72 zones for my 46"

Thanks much, Granzon. What sort of grid was it, then? Are we talking 9x8, I suppose?

Quote:

Well, there goes Rizzos idea he had convinced himself of. 72 zones on the 46 and I counted 105 on my 55 inch. So the PQ can't be attributed to more compacted zones.

Well, this is very odd, then. Ordinarily, these thing have even numbers of zones, as they're on grids. What sort of grid did you get? It cannot possibly be an 11x5 grid, can it?? I would expect that to look very strange, with few halos and little shadow detail loss horizontally, but lots of both vertically. Is that what you got?? 11x5?

-Noob
Old 06-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Try using a green picture slide, I'm told our eyes are more likely to see defects in this color spectrum.

It's pretty much the same in green, maybe even better. I will say that it's much more obvious in person than my pictures show. That may be because of my camera. I can see it pretty easily from 3-4 feet away with a solid image in real life but i've never noticed it in anything. I can even see it at 6-7 feet if I stare for it with a solid image up. As picky as I am, i've never noticed this before so I think people are just being extremely picky and expecting perfect.

The guy's picture is definitely worse than mine.. after looking at it more i'd say it's about 2x more noticable, not the original 4x I said. It's definitely there, but i'm pretty sure its a normal issue as it's the same thing all around the edge of the TV. It's too hard to compare with photos. I'm sure it's just more noticable on their screenshot because the TV is in torchmode or has it's backlight up. Mine is on minimum.

Look at the D8000, it has the same thing going on, but it's noticable during normal viewing because it's so bad. I think people exchanging their sets for this issue will get a set that does the same. Compared to the D8000's light leakage.. it's NOTHING.

There are much more noticable things on my HX929 than that:
1) Blooming. <-Normal
2) Banding bar about 40% up the screen. <-Normal????
Old 06-16-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Thanks much, Granzon. What sort of grid was it, then? Are we talking 9x8, I suppose?

Well, this is very odd, then. Ordinarily, these thing have even numbers of zones, as they're on grids. What sort of grid did you get? It cannot possibly be an 11x5 grid, can it?? I would expect that to look very strange, with few halos and little shadow detail loss horizontally, but lots of both vertically. Is that what you got?? 11x5?

7x15
Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Hi Rizzo,

Sorry, I don't have a mouse, I have a finger pad. I've made many attempts to wean this info from some higher up-powers at Sony (through Robert @ VE) and they are extremely tight lipped about this info.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
Old 06-16-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

Sorry, I don't have a mouse, I have a finger pad. I've made many attempts to wean this info from some higher up-powers at Sony (through Robert @ VE) and they are extremely tight lipped about this info.

I visually checked this on my set. Counted 7 down the side and 15 across the bottom. So unless they are putting uneven amounts through the middle then it's 105 on the 55 inch. But if they were for some reason putting uneven zones, then the 46 would theoretically be the same way.

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv , Displays