Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM41flYRaSU

You are enabling game mode for this video right? If that's the input lag with game mode enabled thats pretty bad, if thats gaming with it disabled then thats pretty good. Looks like about 80-90ms to me, game mode should bring that down to 30-50s.

My samsung D8000 has 107ms with game mode disabled, and 53ms with it enabled. If you have a rock band calibration guitar you can get exact input lag measurements.

The problem with game mode though is no company has actually made it a one button toggle feature. You have to go into the menus everytime you go from playing a game to watching a movie, and it gets REALLY annoying. I'm assuming that Sony didn't fix this and include a "game mode" button on the remote?

i did not have game mode enabled so new video will be up soon with that. also sony remote for this tv does not have a "game mode" button unfortunately
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

I also saw your input lag video and wonder if the TV was set on Game Scene on your TV. There seems to be a little bit of input lag and wonder if the TV was in game scene or not. Also, once you are in game scene, on the hx909 anyway, you were able to go in the picture menu and change from game standards and game... ah crap, can't remember the other name. seems one was better than the other regarding input lag.

Finally, notice you went for the 46".may I ask you how far away from the TV you are sitting ?

thanks,

game original is what you are looking for I believe. there is also a i/p setting in advanced for either speed or display if speed is on then input lag tends to be improved. I sit approximately 7-8 feet away.
post #453 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hey nick thats for all the info and videos. its good to see a new poster helping out the forum this much.
post #454 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdel View Post

To my relief I found that switching the general scene from custom pre-set to standard pre-set greatly reduces the flashlighting that has bothered me. I hadn't used the standard setting much because I found the picture too bright but when I lower the backlight, the picture improves and the flashlighting disappears. Lowering the backlight on the custom pre-set didn't help.

Out of curiousity, I'm wondering if nickthenewkid24 can try the general scene custom pre-set to see if flashlighting (bottom corners) increases on his set.

standard does seem to decrease it. i kept in custom and in custom there is also a setting in advanced called auto light limiter that helps with it too if you have the setting on medium or high and keeps picture quality also keep LED dynamic control at standard along with brightness at 50 and picture at about 82 seems to be helpful in reducing it as well. you can probably tweak it like this something similar in standard im sure too.
post #455 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 06:43 AM

Anyone know when we'll be seeing professional reviews!? I only ask as I'm noticing Panasonic VT30 reviews out but nothing for the 929?

Also Nickthenewkid24 loving the videos!
post #456 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

Can we get some dead on vids of your best looking blu ray? I'm sure The Dark Knight would be great or any Disney Pixar and animation movie like Cars, The Incredibles, or Kung Fu Panda. Even Beowulf would be nice to see...

sure i can probably do that this weekend with Toy Story 3 how does that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argster View Post

Nick, thanks alot for the videos. What's the deal with the 929's web browser? That is just stupid slow loading times. Makes it hardly worth using it seems. I saw a demo of the Samsung D8000 browser in a store and it was wicked fast to load up and use.

The picture on the 929 looks great though, nice TV.

The browser is slow... maybe an update will fix that in future hopefully. Yes the picture quality is quite amazing! And no problem with the videos, just try to help out.
post #457 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 07:08 AM

new lag test video and tv update http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slc0iIMnydU
post #458 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

So did I do the currency right... It's ~$5 billion they are planning and investing at Samsung in LCD and OLED? Those are hugely chunks of capital but point out something fascinating:

The article yammers on about how mature LCD is and how "most people who want one already have one". All that is true. And yet Samsung is still investing $5 billion next year in it? The OLED stuff is also interesting, although I'm wondering if that couldn't be absorbed almost entirely in the phone/tablet markets. In other words, given how much they are still spending in LCD for TV production, does this really suggest they are serious about AMOLED TVs? It doesn't seem so.

Yes, I think some analyst didn't analyze everything. Last year LCD makers over produced and demand dropped.... I have been hearing about OLED for sometime. I hear they still have problems making larger panels.... However, you can buy a Sony OLED right now... 7.4" for $3200. Why wait.. they are here Sony OLED

PSN: SS396s
post #459 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 07:39 AM

FYI, I noticed SonyStyle now lists the 55inch 929 as backordered until 5/23.
post #460 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthenewkid24 View Post

Wow! To my mind it's much better to play in game mode, really reduces input lag as i see it. Awesome TV! Can't wait for ths telly. Unfortunately, in Russia it will be available at the end of May((
Thanx for videos!
post #461 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Cool video.

I'm curious to know what type of LCD panel Sony is using for the HX929. Could you take a macro photo of the TV while displaying a static image. Here's a macro mode photo of the XBR8 for reference:

Thanks!
post #462 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss396s View Post

Yes, I think some analyst didn't analyze everything. Last year LCD makers over produced and demand dropped.... I have been hearing about OLED for sometime. I hear they still have problems making larger panels.... However, you can buy a Sony OLED right now... 7.4" for $3200. Why wait.. they are here Sony OLED

You can get a 25inch one for $7400....PVM-2541

Sony is dead.
post #463 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 10:06 AM

I couldnt justify the price for this vs the NX720, main difference to me would be the pro engine...I wonder if the pro engine (I am a real novice here) shows a substantial difference in picture quality compared to standard X-Reality engine when it comes to upscaling, but it would only really be noticeable on like 480I images?

Anybody see a comparison between the two engines? I wanted the cool looking glass, opti contrast etc but didnt want to pay for the XBR...I know there is a HX729 I could have ordered, but I didnt...this is my bedroom tv, btw, I have Kuro/Pioneer Elite 60 Inch Pro 141FD in home theatre and it is, well, amazing.
post #464 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 View Post

Cool video.

I'm curious to know what type of LCD panel Sony is using for the HX929. Could you take a macro photo of the TV while displaying a static image.

Thanks!

the best macro image i could take is on page 12 of this thread first photo.
post #465 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:

new lag test video and tv update

LL
LL
post #466 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:

the best macro image i could take is on page 12 of this thread first photo.

what am i looking at in that picture? thanks (i am learning)
post #467 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4lker View Post

why point at top right there is nothing there. also upper left not there either that would be attributed to the glare from outside through window, if you watch when I'm at the home menu it will fade in/out and screen on left side didn't change. my video equipment also not the best. watch the latest video and point those out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U10Lb..._order&list=UL
post #468 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randys1 View Post

what am i looking at in that picture? thanks (i am learning)

that would be a close up image of a grayish piece of background (I really don't know how close that is compared to that XBR8 photo you showed)
post #469 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy bear View Post

my post below from the other day - the new 25" Sony OLED is a pro monitor for on-set and post critical assessment, not a display for the home...

On the OLED front, saw Sony's new pro monitor at NAB in Vegas recently and it's pretty gorgeous, blacks -wise. I work for a film industry mag and will be reviewing display panels on pro side for an upcoming issue. The Sony rep told me the company decided to move away from OLED on consumer side, given cost/benefit ratio and are now trying to wrestle it through the pro market, away from plasma (Panasonic) and what little in-roads LCD/LED has made in film/TV industry for critical use (okay for on-location shooting on bright sunny days) This new Sony OLED, which comes in 25" and 21" (if memory serves) is obviously expensive but pretty great.
post #470 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

On my way to sonystyle. they just got the 55 inch in stock. wanna see it up close. if they can deliver tomorrow i might just buy it.
post #471 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Nice!

That looks REALLY good now. I see almost no input lag with game mode enabled.
post #472 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by @$VoV4uk$@ View Post

Wow! To my mind it's much better to play in game mode, really reduces input lag as i see it. Awesome TV! Can't wait for ths telly. Unfortunately, in Russia it will be available at the end of May((
Thanx for videos!

I have to agree. Input lag was a lot better with game mode.

it would have been easier to notice the different if nick would have pause between direction change. For example, instead of going from left and right with the right stick, if he would go left, bring back the stick in the middle position, then pause 1 seconde, than go right. because from the neutral middle position to the side is where we can kind of see more the response lag inbetween the input and the response on screen.

anyway, game mode those seems to improve this. I'd say it's in between 30ms to 50ms but of course, it's hard to know for sure without a proper input lag test.
post #473 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 05:59 PM

Hey, I like my tech and I love my games so this will seem like a noob question!! But I never used game mode on my old Sony and didn't notice any problem with lag! However I will be using an Onkyo 608 amp as I intend to wall mount so my question is- if I leave game mode on will it affect just watching films or TV, as I only intend to hook up through the one HDMI!?

Sorry if it's a dumb question I just never thought about it until seeing the video!
post #474 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan1paxton View Post

Hey, I like my tech and I love my games so this will seem like a noob question!! But I never used game mode on my old Sony and didn't notice any problem with lag! However I will be using an Onkyo 608 amp as I intend to wall mount so my question is- if I leave game mode on will it affect just watching films or TV, as I only intend to hook up through the one HDMI!?

Sorry if it's a dumb question I just never thought about it until seeing the video!

it's not a dumb question. Althought input lag is nothing recent, it did start to be an issue in the last few years (2 or so years) with TV. See, the problem is manufacturer instead of investing in new panel technology (very costly) are looking at others ways to improve the picture. One thing they do is processing the picture you TV get before showing it on screen. This "process" requires a bit of time (milliseconds) to treat the picture, making it look better, than showing it up on screen. This processing create delays that at some point, is noticeable on screen, creating input lag (delay between you pressing a comman on your controller and the action being perform on screen).

On top of this, manufacturer to fight motion blur on LCD added the frame interpolation to their technices which consist if adding frames to the picture (they will insert frames inbetween frames, a chip with calculate and insert the proper inbetween frame) creating a smoothing motion on screen. Problem is, as you expect by now, this is adding additionnal frames, this adding input lag. This started with new 120hz TV and above (240hz and now 480hz).

Old tvs (lire 3 to 4 years old) didn't process the image as much and all Tvs were 60hz so most of them never exibited the issue and had naturally low input lag to start with.

hope that answers your question.
post #475 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy bear View Post

What a deal.... I want one.....

You had that signature for a long time.... Hasn't come true.....

PSN: SS396s
post #476 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss396s View Post

What a deal.... I want one.....

You had that signature for a long time.... Hasn't come true.....

I don't like what Sony is doing now - it is copying Apple (even renames its "Sony Style" as "Sony Store" , really bad move) and OEM/ODM almost everything (laptop,TV etc)

Sony is dead.
post #477 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

it's not a dumb question. Althought input lag is nothing recent, it did start to be an issue in the last few years (2 or so years) with TV. See, the problem is manufacturer instead of investing in new panel technology (very costly) are looking at others ways to improve the picture. One thing they do is processing the picture you TV get before showing it on screen. This "process" requires a bit of time (milliseconds) to treat the picture, making it look better, than showing it up on screen. This processing create delays that at some point, is noticeable on screen, creating input lag (delay between you pressing a comman on your controller and the action being perform on screen).

On top of this, manufacturer to fight motion blur on LCD added the frame interpolation to their technices which consist if adding frames to the picture (they will insert frames inbetween frames, a chip with calculate and insert the proper inbetween frame) creating a smoothing motion on screen. Problem is, as you expect by now, this is adding additionnal frames, this adding input lag. This started with new 120hz TV and above (240hz and now 480hz).

Old tvs (lire 3 to 4 years old) didn't process the image as much and all Tvs were 60hz so most of them never exibited the issue and had naturally low input lag to start with.

hope that answers your question.

Thanks for that I now get what's causing it!

On a more basic level if I were to leave game mode switched on would that affect if I watched films, blu ray (3D included) or sky HD by Create strange motion artefacts!? I only ask as I intend to hook up my tv up through one HDMI via an amp am was going to leave game mode switched on!

Again, thanks! I always appreciate when someone takes the time to explain an issue'n
post #478 of 15574 Old 04-29-2011, 09:04 PM

How long does it take for professional sites out there to review this damn television?!
post #479 of 15574 Old 04-30-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia8 View Post

How long does it take for professional sites out there to review this damn television?!

I know! I seem to remember it took them ages to review the 903!
post #480 of 15574 Old 04-30-2011, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan1paxton View Post

I know! I seem to remember it took them ages to review the 903!

I went to sonystyle last night in jersey and saw it up close. i must say it is a beautiful TV. Kinda hard to judge picture quality with all the other tv going off and all the light reflections they have going on in there. One thing I will say was that they only only received 3 and one was on display so only 2 for sale. None sold when I was there last night. I was ready to buy one but was told they could not deliver from their site for next day delivery. They told me I could take it home from the store if I had room in my vehicle which off course I did not. So I called my brother who has room in his truck. anyway to make a long story short I did not buy it because they could not even throw in a free pair of glasses. the best they could do was 20% off glasses. I was like cmon, im spending 3800 bucks (suggested retail) which you know eventually this will go down and with all these other bundles you got going on here thats the best you can do? so i just walked out of there. Think I will wait a little longer. I also think quantity is limited to sonystyle.com at this point and stores will get just a few, i mean if sonystyle retail only got 2 how many would my local best buy get?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page