Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 226 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6751 of 15568 Old 09-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyve View Post

I am in the process of reseaching this and other Sony model LED TVs and I am concerned because of this one comment on Amazon that rated the TV a 1. The quote says,

"Very nice reviews, thank you all for your efforts and testing. However, there is one small point which should have been mentioned on every Sony web-site - We do not support playing MKV, AVI and every other popular video format ever created by humans.
Well done, I must say. Who would want to have a TV like this? "

I have searched the various Sony forums on AVS and I can't find one negative posting regarding Sony's ability to support various formats. Has anyone here had problms or is this guy just dead wrong.

Thanks in advance. Tony

The 929 does not play mkv's. Very few tv's do. Get yourself a nice streaming box. Not getting the 929 because of a lack of mkv support is extremely short sighted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 15568 Old 09-21-2011, 07:10 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

Went to the Magnolia store (locally) yesterday and Mag. Mgr. told me they are no longer carrying HX929's on floor only on special order and they are not getting 65" sets (too late in the year ??)

After reading the forum, I was curious and had hoped to see one in the Boston area...however, was told the 55" is no longer being carried because the returns have been to high.
post #6753 of 15568 Old 09-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

I am in the process of reseaching this and other Sony model LED TVs and I am concerned because of this one comment on Amazon that rated the TV a 1. The quote says,

"Very nice reviews, thank you all for your efforts and testing. However, there is one small point which should have been mentioned on every Sony web-site - We do not support playing MKV, AVI and every other popular video format ever created by humans.

I have searched the various Sony forums on AVS and I can't find one negative posting regarding Sony's ability to support various formats. Has anyone here had problms or is this guy just dead wrong.

Thanks in advance. Tony

Nothing big in my book. Most televisions don't even support all the files, and while some may do, they are still incompatible with the full versions of the files. Get yourself a separate box for that. Licensing these formats to televisions are more problematic.
post #6754 of 15568 Old 09-21-2011, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Ok, been a very long time since I looked at TV's as most of them have been serving me well. Sony replaced my XBR1 60" with no questions asked with a XBR2 after the "Green Blob" incident. My TV had the issue but it wasn't as bad as some. Well I still have my XBR2 with 6000+ hours on the first bulb and counting, well I am looking to move the XBR2 to my Lake House and start looking for a replace of the same size. So I am all ears!

Thanks for any help!
post #6755 of 15568 Old 09-21-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff69 View Post

The 929 does not play mkv's. Very few tv's do. Get yourself a nice streaming box. Not getting the 929 because of a lack of mkv support is extremely short sighted.

I wonder if the OP understands the "the TV won't display it from it's built-in decoder" vs "it won't play it at all." If the reviewer had the mistaken impression that the TV wouldn't play that format at all I could understand the negative review, but I definitely don't understand what sort of misapprehension of how display devices could come to that conclusion!
post #6756 of 15568 Old 09-21-2011, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I should be clear, we've known for at least a month this TV was delayed till November. I was just clarifying if there was further delay. It appears not, but that there might not be many at first.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #6757 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanishq02 View Post

Curious to know what you do with older sets...I am having hard time selling my older 40" LCD after purchasing 55hx929

ppl usually send them to my house
post #6758 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance. Tony

Google for ".mkv transcoding DLNA" and you will come upon a bunch of DLNA servers that you can run on a PC or Mac in your home and where all your media files are stored (such as iTunes). These servers will transcode and feed the media transcoded to the correct format that the DLNA client in your TV understands. There are several servers out there that seem to work fine with Sony Bravia TVs and .MKV files.
post #6759 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishmovva View Post

Google for ".mkv transcoding DLNA" and you will come upon a bunch of DLNA servers that you can run on a PC or Mac in your home and where all your media files are stored (such as iTunes). These servers will transcode and feed the media transcoded to the correct format that the DLNA client in your TV understands. There are several servers out there that seem to work fine with Sony Bravia TVs and .MKV files.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your very specific information and advice. I was asking because I currently use my 52" Sony as the monitor in my HTPC setup. I am also not very tech savvy when it comes to computers. But when I do make a purchase, I like to know that it will handle the most recent advances in the other components in my HTPC setup. Thanks again.
post #6760 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcarboost View Post

Cutting the resolution in half makes the passive 3D useless. Who wants their resolution cut in half on their $2,000 TV? It ruins the picture and renders it useless. Until that gets worked out, active 3D is the way to go.

As I said, others in the lg thread pointed to an article which said ppeople saying it cuts it in half are misinforming and that it's some speudo 1080 setup, especially with a new alogrithm that improves it via a firmware update.

On that note though, if you think lower resolution makes it useless, how does the active type which gives headaches, ahs uncomfortable glasses, and darkens the picture not ruin it?
post #6761 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 05:49 AM

I'[m not at all bashing this tv, but people are really overdoing it when describing it and saying everything below it is crap compared to it. If it's so superior, why are there already quite a few open box deals on it as people are selling their sets bought this year? If it's so perfect, nobody would have a reason to sell it. It can't be due to a technical issue, as it would still be under warranty.
post #6762 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight77 View Post

I'[m not at all bashing this tv, but people are really overdoing it when describing it and saying everything below it is crap compared to it. If it's so superior, why are there already quite a few open box deals on it as people are selling their sets bought this year? If it's so perfect, nobody would have a reason to sell it. It can't be due to a technical issue, as it would still be under warranty.

I wonder how this TV would compare to the new Elite(Pioneer/Sharp) TV's. As I currently own both older models Sony(XBR2) and a Kuro, I am thinking of upgrading my 60" XBR2 and moving it as I still have another bulb for it. There seems to be slight, problems/quirks with all sets there are some people who are perfectionist and no matter hard hard you try, there isn't anything perfect. Now getting close to perfection is another story. Has anyone seen the Sony/Pioneer Elites next to each other yet to compare? Frankly I still think 3D isn't all that great except for certain movies/games, makes the picture way to dark and in my "opinion" still gimmicky.
post #6763 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

I wonder how this TV would compare to the new Elite(Pioneer/Sharp) TV's. As I currently own both older models Sony(XBR2) and a Kuro, I am thinking of upgrading my 60" XBR2 and moving it as I still have another bulb for it. There seems to be slight, problems/quirks with all sets there are some people who are perfectionist and no matter hard hard you try, there isn't anything perfect. Now getting close to perfection is another story. Has anyone seen the Sony/Pioneer Elites next to each other yet to compare? Frankly I still think 3D isn't all that great except for certain movies/games, makes the picture way to dark and in my "opinion" still gimmicky.

I will be getting that opportunity on Oct 8th, when I do a photo shoot at Roberts, HD Shootout, I'm quite anxious, as it will also give me a chance to pigeon hole the Sony Rep's about the crease(shadow) and 65" delays.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #6764 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

I will be getting that opportunity on Oct 8th, when I do a photo shoot at Roberts, HD Shootout, I'm quite anxious as it will also give me a chance to pigeon hole the Sony Rep's about the crease(shadow) and 65" delays.

Thanks for the reply, I been very happy with Sony.. As I think I was one of the rare cases when they replaced my XBR1 with the "Green Blob" issue, they swapped it out for a XBR2 which now just went over 7000 hours on the first bulb. So moving it to Lake House and looking at new sets and suggestions on sets you would look at? I been out of the new viewing loop for awhile.
post #6765 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 06:31 AM

Does anyone know if you can buy squaretrade warranties long after the original purchase? I know, for example, you can buy the warrranty from an entirely different palce than you buy the tv and still have it honored. And when i bought a tv from circuit city manby years ago they kept sending me extended warranty offers literally years after the purchase date.

This tv is still tempting, especially since I may be getting more money than expected on a project I am working on. I would maybe buy it from this store that accepts no returns if I am totally sure I want this and then I could always get Sony to fix it if something is truly wrong with it. Then get that extended warranty also. I know somewhere to get it cheaply.

Oh also does Sony always exchange sets if you have the crease? Some in ehre said their sets were exchanged, I believe.
post #6766 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone know if you can buy squaretrade warranties long after the original purchase? I know, for example, you can buy the warrranty from an entirely different palce than you buy the tv and still have it honored. And when i bought a tv from circuit city manby years ago they kept sending me extended warranty offers literally years after the purchase date.

This tv is still tempting, especially since I may be getting more money than expected on a project I am working on. I would maybe buy it from this store that accepts no returns if I am totally sure I want this and then I could always get Sony to fix it if something is truly wrong with it. Then get that extended warranty also. I know somewhere to get it cheaply.

Oh also does Sony always exchange sets if you have the crease? Some in ehre said their sets were exchanged, I believe.

You can get them directly from Sony and there are other companies that will do extended as well. If I am buying anything over a 40" I usually buy an extended. Just go to Sony's web site and type Warr. in
it should bring you to the page to order it.
post #6767 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

You should contact Squaretrade and put that question directly to them and not take an unconfirmed answer. IMO

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #6768 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

You cannot buy a squaretrade warranty once another warranty is over. It must be brought before hand
post #6769 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 07:24 AM

For those thinking of dropping down from the 55'' to the 46''

Don't do it!!

Mine is in the repair shop getting an oil change as we speak and in the meantime I'm renting a 42'' from rent a center...I can't tell you enough how bad I want my 55'' back...

What is that comment I read in this forum a few different times?

Bigger is better!!
post #6770 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 07:24 AM

I searched this forum and did not find an answer regarding Hz, or refresh rates or inserting of interpolated frames.

I also couldn't find the info in the iManual.

Hopefully someone here can make it easy to understand.

I've read on this forum that this set is 240 Hz native. I can understand 60 Hz native then going up from there to 120, 240, 480, and 960 realizing that the last 2 are interpolated. If I'm saying that correctly.

However, this is just a lead in to what I would like to know, which is...

What TV setting gets me what Hz?

Options->Scene Select->...

Auto
General
Cinema
Sports
Music
Animation
etc...

or do these have anything to do with Hz and/or frame insertion?

thankGod

It's not just watching TV, it's a home theater.
post #6771 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokoo View Post

Don't do it!!

Mine is in the repair shop getting an oil change as we speak and in the meantime I'm renting a 42'' from rent a center...I can't tell you enough how bad I want my 55'' back...

Bigger is better!!

42 isn't 46 though (although quite close) and it depends on sitting arrangement. I sit much closer than most so the 55 is bothering me. Even if I move further back it bothers me sometimes how big it is.
post #6772 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokoo View Post

Don't do it!!

Bigger is better!!

There are a lot of factor in play here, the first one is seating distance. Most people who own 55" and more sits at 10-12 feet or more from their TV.
post #6773 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 09:22 AM

I ordered a 55" 929 from Beach Camera on Amazon $2449. Does anyone have any experience with them? They are in NJ and I'm in CA, do you think I made a mistake ordering from the East Coast? This is my first big electronic purchase online (excluding my panasonic TM900 camcorder), but these guys don't take returns on larger tvs. I really wanted the 929 and gambled on it for that price. I am praying that mine doesn't have the crease issue, otherwise I'm SOL.

thanks!
post #6774 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 09:39 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

I'm having the same eternal debate myself. The safe bet is the 46" as I already had a few (which I return for clouding, etc) which I know was fine but people keep pushing here for 55" (which if it was 50", I'd probably go for that). I'm about 9 feet away from the TV.

There is an optimal viewing distance calculator here: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

At 9' 46" is not really optimal. That said, you know your budget and don't break it to get an optimal screen size for your viewing distance. You shouldn't buy anything that you can't comfortably afford.
post #6775 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8tothe24 View Post

I ordered a 55" 929 from Beach Camera on Amazon $2449. Does anyone have any experience with them? They are in NJ and I'm in CA, do you think I made a mistake ordering from the East Coast? This is my first big electronic purchase online (excluding my panasonic TM900 camcorder), but these guys don't take returns on larger tvs. I really wanted the 929 and gambled on it for that price. I am praying that mine doesn't have the crease issue, otherwise I'm SOL.

thanks!

Yes, I have personally used them and had very good luck. Relax and wait for that bad boy to arrive and enjoy... BTW - I buy all my TVs on line.
post #6776 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldwaa View Post

Yes, I have personally used them and had very good luck. Relax and wait for that bad boy to arrive and enjoy... BTW - I buy all my TVs on line.

Thanks for the calming words. It's a lot of money to gamble sight unseen and no experience with the seller. Delivery is scheduled for next Friday. I hope the driver relaxes, takes his time and avoids those pot holes!
post #6777 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 382
The optimal distance is determined by the viewer not the calculator. No calculator has ever asked me "where do you like to sit in the movie theater". And quite frankly, most of them are based on sitting the equivalent of approximately 1/2-way, which is closer than I ever sit.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #6778 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

I wonder how this TV would compare to the new Elite(Pioneer/Sharp) TV's.

There was a fairly detailed review from someone who owned both (can't find the link). Bottom line: He thought the picture quality on both were great, but that the Elite was better. He thought the 929 was a better value (i.e. the picture quality improvement wasn't worth the additional $2k for the Elite).
post #6779 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

The optimal distance is determined by the viewer not the calculator. No calculator has ever asked me "where do you like to sit in the movie theater". And quite frankly, most of them are based on sitting the equivalent of approximately 1/2-way, which is closer than I ever sit.

I sit in the front row. lol So that's why a 55 is too much for me as I can't sit as close as I want. But I am worried a 46 will be too small. So annoying sony and lg don't make any current 50 inchers for their lcds.
post #6780 of 15568 Old 09-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkelecy View Post

There was a fairly detailed review from someone who owned both (can't find the link). Bottom line: He thought the picture quality on both were great, but that the Elite was better. He thought the 929 was a better value (i.e. the picture quality improvement wasn't worth the additional $2k for the Elite).

Yes, read Ken Ross' excellent review in the Elite thread.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page