Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can just someone post the Panel Information of an HX929?

...I thought it is an AUO (AMVA) Panel?

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 01:33 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy bear View Post

I'm not sure how the JV works but it seems Sony or Samsung could do something to the panels without telling the other company - Samsung has been using glossy panels for years while Sony has just started using them.

Exactly Sony could have well applied the FPA tech
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Pr...60E/index.html
post #903 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 01:38 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev43 View Post

Do Samsung actually manufacture a Full Array / local dimming panel of any size,

So... i wonder what is his brainchild response for the 65" XBR65HX929...
Maybe a 55" with a lot of Scotch Tape..
post #904 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 01:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:

Do Samsung actually manufacture a Full Array / local dimming panel of any size,

No.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #905 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post

Hi Nick, is that a realistic representation from what you see in person? Seems the off angle blooming/clouding is pretty severe on your set if so.

No its much better. I clearly state there is overexposure. I think I will just take them down.... yours are better shots anyway. I can post my settings later if you want to try them
post #906 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrma View Post

It is called overexposure. Your camera shuttle was open too long and collected to much light or ISO settings was to high. Text became almost unreadable. If you would hold it for even longer you can turn your black TV screen even to white one in your photo. It is not the same what your eyes see. Or do you see the same same thing with your eyes?

P.S. sorry for my English.

Not same for my eyes. I recognized the overexposure in my post but just deleted them since they aren't accurate. Thank you
post #907 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billinabnett View Post

So... i wonder what is his brainchild response for the 65" XBR65HX929...
Maybe a 55" with a lot of Scotch Tape..

I would like to know where he got his information from to say it's a Samsung panel,
post #908 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

No.

exactly,
post #909 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 05:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo228 View Post

Hey thanks for the report, just wondering where did you order your tv from?
Sony LifeStyle?

I got my tv at a sonystyle store. They offered me 48 month free financing and free delivery. Sold!
nycmat likes this.
post #910 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-LCD
http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...ion_S-LCD.html

If you believe it was a samsung panel care to explain why the samsung D8000 got a score of 2.1 out of 5 ,where as the Sony got a score of 4.2 out of 5 in viewing angle.
http://www.digitalversus.com/from-la...ews-19092.html

If you want proof that the picture in digital versus is indeed a Sony have a look the pictures here from the HX820 http://www.jd-bbs.com/viewthread.php...extra=&page=50

ah you have solved the puzzle that is the 929 for sure.
post #911 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:

I would like to know where he got his information from to say it's a Samsung panel,

S-LCD only manufactures S-PVA panels and the patents of this kind of panel is owned by Samsung - Samsung bought the basic technology from Fujitsu many years ago and made some improvements. Sony can only do some small changes , nothing fundamental.

If the panels inside HX929s have "S-LCD" stickers they must be S-PVA panels , Samsung panels.

Sony is dead.
post #912 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 06:37 AM

I picked up my 46" HX929 this afternoon and I have mostly good news for my first report.

First - the unit is totally uncalibrated - running all factory settings and I know that I have a number of things to change to get the best results. I will do a first cut on calibration soon but it may be a day or two until I have the time. I have read some guidelines from Nick (thanks dude) and I will start there. It is just set up temporarily without any inputs but a DVD player (not even Blu-ray) right now, so my display options are limited. It goes into it's new home in the next couple of days - my wife bought a cabinet to hide my beautiful new toy in! It comes tomorrow, so setup will follow after that.

The front appearance with the smooth black glass is clean and beautiful and the heavy metal base exceeds what I expected, having gotten used to Samsung's cheap black plastic bases. Otherwise there is not much to see, which I believe is the point of that design. Very nice. The frontal area is nicely limited to not a whole lot more than the actual display, lowering its impact for the size. I just saw my sister's 46" Samsung yesterday and by comparison it looks much larger. I think this would make the 55" and 65" look really nice, although I have not yet seen the 55".

PQ is amazing and easily meets all (or mostly all) of my expectations for right out of the box performance. Black levels approach plasma quality IMO - no dark gray LED stuff - just clear, deep black. The black bars on letterbox are virtually undetectable from the black border of the display. I do see just a small amount of flashlighting in both lower corners, more so on the right. I have no more than one hour of use at this point and I saw it under some conditions and not in others - I think that I will have to get more time in to form a firm opinion on that. How this occurs with a local dimming full LED array is beyond me although others have reported it too. One guy posting here last week said that his went away after a few days - not sure if that was related to wear in or to adjusting the backlight intensity. I do not see any obvious blooming at all, although I have not done anything to stress it and force that like some people have. I created a black and white image that should be good for testing that but until I get it set up properly I won't have time to play with that either. Like any LCD there is off angle image degradation - that is my biggest disappointment at this point and I was expecting better in that regard. I would say that if your viewing environment needs to accommodate going much past 45 degrees to the side you should think twice. Up to about 45 degrees it is consistently good, but after that PQ drops noticeably.

I am still not willing to say for sure what I think about the viewing angle issue. I have read the tweaks posted here on AVS to optimize the display and they will be where I start until I have the time to do that properly. I probably overstated my concerns on this part, but it is a topic of a lot of concern to people and it is also the only negative thing that I could find to post! The impressive part for me was that I could see no PQ degradation at all in the 90 degree viewing aspect from dead center (45 degrees to left and right). So I think that made what PQ loss that I did see after that seem worse.

Images - I know you would like to see some - but I just don't have a camera of sufficient quality to properly capture the output of such a fine display yet. I intend to network with some friends and see if anyone has a digital SLR that I could borrow. My 8 megapixel phone and my point and shoot camera turned beautiful display images into crap - sorry. Not a big deal though since other people with high quality ditital SLR's have already posted some very good images.

Stay tuned for more impressions as I get some more time to explore this thing - it came at a very busy time for me - work and family things are competing in a big way right now. But my first impression is that I did not make a mistake and that this is a beautiful display that I will end up being very happy with!

Jim
post #913 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 06:44 AM

While many of us are still waiting for this TV there already seems to be a firmware upgrade for it.

w ww.hometheaterinsider.net/2011/05/sony-releases-firmware-update-for-the-bravia-hx929

(I was unable to post a direct link, I need to have 3 posts first, so I had to add an extra space after the first w)
post #914 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Thanks Neo. Hey owners someone bite the bullet and update the fw and report back

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #915 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Thanks Neo. Hey owners someone bite the bullet and update the fw and report back

I write software for a living and I know too much to trust any piece of new software - even my own.

So I will let some else handle this one.
post #916 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Bit that bullet about 2 weeks ago, and reported on it, lol. the update added some new features and supported 3D streaming through broadband. the features are media remote control from your phone (android, iOS) through wi-fi, skype is now showing up under applications in home menus (you must hook up a camera to use), home theater control is in applications menu as well, recommendations menu added which can be turned off cause it basically shows tv shows you should watch. no problems with the software
post #917 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 07:49 AM

How reflective is it?
post #918 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDickinson View Post

I picked up my 46" HX929 this afternoon and I have mostly good news for my first report.

First - the unit is totally uncalibrated - running all factory settings and I know that I have a number of things to change to get the best results. I will do a first cut on calibration soon but it may be a day or two until I have the time. I have read some guidelines from Nick (thanks dude) and I will start there. It is just set up temporarily without any inputs but a DVD player (not even Blu-ray) right now, so my display options are limited. It goes into it's new home in the next couple of days - my wife bought a cabinet to hide my beautiful new toy in! It comes tomorrow, so setup will follow after that.

The front appearance with the smooth black glass is clean and beautiful and the heavy metal base exceeds what I expected, having gotten used to Samsung's cheap black plastic bases. Otherwise there is not much to see, which I believe is the point of that design. Very nice. The frontal area is nicely limited to not a whole lot more than the actual display, lowering its impact for the size. I just saw my sister's 46" Samsung yesterday and by comparison it looks much larger. I think this would make the 55" and 65" look really nice, although I have not yet seen the 55".

PQ is amazing and easily meets all (or mostly all) of my expectations for right out of the box performance. Black levels approach plasma quality IMO - no dark gray LED stuff - just clear, deep black. The black bars on letterbox are virtually undetectable from the black border of the display. I do see just a small amount of flashlighting in both lower corners, more so on the right. I have no more than one hour of use at this point and I saw it under some conditions and not in others - I think that I will have to get more time in to form a firm opinion on that. How this occurs with a local dimming full LED array is beyond me although others have reported it too. One guy posting here last week said that his went away after a few days - not sure if that was related to wear in or to adjusting the backlight intensity. I do not see any obvious blooming at all, although I have not done anything to stress it and force that like some people have. I created a black and white image that should be good for testing that but until I get it set up properly I won't have time to play with that either. Like any LCD there is off angle image degradation - that is my biggest disappointment at this point and I was expecting better in that regard. I would say that if your viewing environment needs to accommodate going much past 45 degrees to the side you should think twice. Up to about 45 degrees it is consistently good, but after that PQ drops noticeably.

I am still not willing to say for sure what I think about the viewing angle issue. I have read the tweaks posted here on AVS to optimize the display and they will be where I start until I have the time to do that properly. I probably overstated my concerns on this part, but it is a topic of a lot of concern to people and it is also the only negative thing that I could find to post! The impressive part for me was that I could see no PQ degradation at all in the 90 degree viewing aspect from dead center (45 degrees to left and right). So I think that made what PQ loss that I did see after that seem worse.

Images - I know you would like to see some - but I just don't have a camera of sufficient quality to properly capture the output of such a fine display yet. I intend to network with some friends and see if anyone has a digital SLR that I could borrow. My 8 megapixel phone and my point and shoot camera turned beautiful display images into crap - sorry. Not a big deal though since other people with high quality ditital SLR's have already posted some very good images.

Stay tuned for more impressions as I get some more time to explore this thing - it came at a very busy time for me - work and family things are competing in a big way right now. But my first impression is that I did not make a mistake and that this is a beautiful display that I will end up being very happy with!

Jim

Thanks for the feedback. I am concerned though as to why people are seeing flashlighting on a LED backlit local dimming display. It should not exist as that zone would be off.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #919 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

edit. nvm
post #920 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy bear View Post

S-LCD only manufactures S-PVA panels and the patents of this kind of panel is owned by Samsung - Samsung bought the basic technology from Fujitsu many years ago and made some improvements. Sony can only do some small changes , nothing fundamental.

If the panels inside HX929s have "S-LCD" stickers they must be S-PVA panels , Samsung panels.

But do Samsung manufacture a Full Array / local dimming panel,
post #921 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

Jim

Darken the room/darken the screen(a dark movie scene etc...) and walk from left to right in front of TV while watching the screen, if the blacks turn green or greyish while doing this off-axis performance not good.
post #922 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

After a Sharp lawsuit Samsung stopped making full array Local Dimming led LCd's, last one was the B8500 in 2009.
post #923 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

After a Sharp lawsuit Samsung stopped making full array Local Dimming led LCd's, last one was the B8500 in 2009.

That's what I thought, I will be glad when this issue of what panel is used in the hx929/hx923 is put to bed,
post #924 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Sony only gets LCD panels from S-LCD , it then manufactures or buys backlight modules. In this case , panels and backlight modules come from different companies.

In the JV with SHARP , Sony buys LCD panels and backlight modules from SHARP together.

Sony is dead.
post #925 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

From my understanding the panel as we are discussing here is the panel first and seperate from what illumination is used. Sony and Samsung could use the same panels, but Sony chooses to go the back lit led rout and Samsung chooses (has) to go edge lit led. The only reason that Samsung does not do a full aray local dimming is due to a lawsuit against them.
post #926 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post

From my understanding the panel as we are discussing here is the panel first and seperate from what illumination is used. Sony and Samsung could use the same panels, but Sony chooses to go the back lit led rout and Samsung chooses (has) to go edge lit led. The only reason that Samsung does not do a full aray local dimming is due to a lawsuit against them.

precisely my understanding of it as well.

not sure why everyone thinks these things are like plasmas.
post #927 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post

The only reason that Samsung does not do a full aray local dimming is due to a lawsuit against them.

I've never heard/read about this. Do you have any links to find out more?

Panasonic 55ST60
Sony XBR-46HX909
post #928 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Jim

Thanks for the detailed preview and look forward to your more of your thoughts!

Just to go off topic for a moment, I was looking for a calibration disc for when I get this TV! I have one produced by Monster but it's very annoying, why do they choose to use such bad actors!?, and don't think I can go through that more than once! I've heard of the Disney WOW disc but has anyone here used it?
post #929 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthenewkid24 View Post

Bit that bullet about 2 weeks ago, and reported on it, lol. the update added some new features and supported 3D streaming through broadband. the features are media remote control from your phone (android, iOS) through wi-fi, skype is now showing up under applications in home menus (you must hook up a camera to use), home theater control is in applications menu as well, recommendations menu added which can be turned off cause it basically shows tv shows you should watch. no problems with the software

Sorry Nik! I'd read your post on that but didn't realize this was the same update you'd done. Thanks!

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #930 of 15570 Old 05-11-2011, 10:26 AM

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...-or-mo-mo.aspx

looks like Corning made shipments of gorilla glass to AU Optronics and LG for LCD displays. this is further evidence that this set is AMVA made by AU Optronics.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page