Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 15567 Old 04-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

So is the Sharp panel in the HX909 produced in Japan? (I realize final assembly is in Mexico).

Yessir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 15567 Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-It-Yourself View Post

Yessir.

Probably explains why the 46/52HX909 was more expensive when they first came out than the 46/55HX929.
post #93 of 15567 Old 04-03-2011, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 View Post

Probably explains why the 46/52HX909 was more expensive when they first came out than the 46/55HX929.

Maybe, but do we know for a fact that the 929's aren't perhaps still using Sharp panels too? This new Taiwan arrangement may be phased in with lower models first, or maybe hasn't even begun yet.
post #94 of 15567 Old 04-03-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss396s View Post

Assembled in Mex? Really... I think the bulk of Sony panels are still coming from the Samsung/Sony plant (funny... isn't it). They are buying a lot from Sharp too. Don't know the percentage.

Yes the "LCD panels" do come from S-LCD which is in S.Korea (the JV between Sony and Samsung) and Sharp plant which is in Japan....the TV is assembled in Mex

Sony is dead.
post #95 of 15567 Old 04-04-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Maybe, but do we know for a fact that the 929's aren't perhaps still using Sharp panels too? This new Taiwan arrangement may be phased in with lower models first, or maybe hasn't even begun yet.

Its been asked alot and has been said repeatedly that Sony is no longer using Sharp panels.

Sharp UV2A panels also do not come in 55" or 65" sizes. The chances of them putting a Sharp panel just for the 46HX929 is very unlikely.
post #96 of 15567 Old 04-04-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its been asked alot and has been said repeatedly that Sony is no longer using Sharp panels.

Sharp UV2A panels also do not come in 55" or 65" sizes. The chances of them putting a Sharp panel just for the 46HX929 is very unlikely.

Then I would concur that your original observation is probably correct.
post #97 of 15567 Old 04-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

HX929 also has good viewing angle

I am curious how you know the HX929 will have good viewing angle? I hope it does, because if so I would be interested, but I have my doubts because I tried a XBR-60LX900 and the viewing angle was HORRIBLE - the worst I have seen. (On a side note, it also had clouding and flashlighting - I returned it).

Does the HX929 use an IPS panel? I have not been able to find info on this. On the Sony site, they list the HX929 as having the same viewing angle as the XBR-60LX900, so I am not a believer yet....but I would love to be one!
post #98 of 15567 Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Kmp that's interesting and I think speaks to unit to unit variation/QC issues. I recently saw a 60LX900 at a Magnolia in Best Buy on 14th ST in NYC. Magnolia's pretense to high end notwithstanding, that particular BB is a cesspool when it comes to tv set up and average salesperson knowledge.

Not only did it not exhibit any of the issues you mention, I'd say it did very well in all of them. No flash lighting at all, excellent uniformity, no observed blooming, and a useably wide viewing angle.

There's no way the beta minus semi morons at this store calibrated and set it up so well. Either way, it looked amazing. So amazing that it gave me that much more confidence to preorder a 65HX929...

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #99 of 15567 Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Kmp that's interesting and I think speaks to unit to unit variation/QC issues. I recently saw a 60LX900 at a Magnolia in Best Buy on 14th ST in NYC. Magnolia's pretense to high end notwithstanding, that particular BB is a cesspool when it comes to tv set up and average salesperson knowledge.

Not only did it not exhibit any of the issues you mention, I'd say it did very well in all of them. No flash lighting at all, excellent uniformity, no observed blooming, and a useably wide viewing angle.

There's no way the beta minus semi morons at this store calibrated and set it up so well. Either way, it looked amazing. So amazing that it gave me that much more confidence to preorder a 65HX929...
I had wondered if I had gotten a "bad one", but I just assumed they would all have problems.

I will be watching this thread closely! I am going to wait and see how the new LGs, supposedly coming out in the fall, compare. I like the idea of the passive 3D that LG is switching to. That was another thing I did not like about the 60LX900 - the 3D was weak. Lots of ghosting, and a much dimmer image (known issues for active 3D, I realize).

Thanks.
post #100 of 15567 Old 04-05-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post

I had wondered if I had gotten a "bad one", but I just assumed they would all have problems.

I will be watching this thread closely! I am going to wait and see how the new LGs, supposedly coming out in the fall, compare. I like the idea of the passive 3D that LG is switching to. That was another thing I did not like about the 60LX900 - the 3D was weak. Lots of ghosting, and a much dimmer image (known issues for active 3D, I realize).

Thanks.

There is hope!!!

LG 47LEX8

LG has confirmed that this exceptional TV is just a taste of what its TVs will offer next year. If that's the case, then both the manufacturer and IPS technology are set to make a big comeback!
http://www.digitalversus.com/lg-47le..._10173_35.html
post #101 of 15567 Old 04-05-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post

I am curious how you know the HX929 will have good viewing angle? I hope it does, ....

It was a complicated sentence and you lost its beginning:

This will happen when, apart of black-hole-blacks when LEDs are off, HX929 also has good viewing angle and no blooming/banding/clouding. Tall order but doable.

In other words, I also hope the HX929 will have good viewing angle.

irkuck
post #102 of 15567 Old 04-05-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was completely disappointed with the LX900s viewing angle... and that's with a perfect setup at Magnolia (i.e. not hanging on a wall or somewhere where you can't sit at multiple angles... they had three seats at eye level at the middle and to the sides). I never personally considered the LX900, but seeing it at BB completely confounded me as to what the high price was supposed to get you. I later realized that the HX series was not available in anything larger than 52 inches at that time.

One thing I DID like about the LX9 was the Yahoo Widgets and the gorgeous Piano Black rear panel. I REALLY don't understand the haphazard distribution of features and upgrades across the NX, LX and HX lines.
post #103 of 15567 Old 04-06-2011, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Quote:

... I REALLY don't understand the haphazard distribution of features and upgrades across the NX, LX and HX lines.

Agree. It almost seems that Sony is deliberately trying to confuse the customer. A basic principle of marketting is that a label should instantly convey an impression of where a product is on the price vs. features/quality scale. Someone should tell Sony management about that.
post #104 of 15567 Old 04-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was completely disappointed with the LX900s viewing angle... and that's with a perfect setup at Magnolia (i.e. not hanging on a wall or somewhere where you can't sit at multiple angles... they had three seats at eye level at the middle and to the sides). I never personally considered the LX900, but seeing it at BB completely confounded me as to what the high price was supposed to get you. I later realized that the HX series was not available in anything larger than 52 inches at that time.

One thing I DID like about the LX9 was the Yahoo Widgets and the gorgeous Piano Black rear panel. I REALLY don't understand the haphazard distribution of features and upgrades across the NX, LX and HX lines.

I had originally ordered an NX700 last spring, (which has the monolithic glass like the LX900 and HX909), and I thought the viewing angle was absurdly bad. (Not to mention the 'cones' issue, which was also bad). Standing completely in the center looked great and then just moving two feet to the left or right caused significant degradation.

There was no way I was keeping it for the $2400 I had paid for the NX700

I also checked out the LX900 and a couple other monolithic models and came to the opinion that the glass Sony was using for the monolithic look, which I think looks very cool, was causing the poor viewing angle.

I ended up going with the EX700, cost $1000 less(!!), no monolithic design, but the picture quality was without question better, and not only was the viewing angle much better, I was actually very impressed with how wide I could go before there was any significant degradation; wider than anyone would reasonably want to watch it. After having had the NX700 in my place, at first the EX700 didn't look quite as cool, but after a couple weeks, didn't even notice/think about it. What good is having a cool designed TV if the picture quality is mediocre...

I've been far happier with the EX700 even though it does have the cooler design (not to mention $1000 cheaper!)

So anyway, I'll be waiting in anticipation to see if this new 'Gorilla Glass' is better in terms of not impacting the viewing angle; (I'm presuming the previous NX700, HX909 didn't also use Gorilla Glass since it was never mentioned until recently with these new models). I've love to get an HX929, but not going to spend that kind of money unless they get it right this time.
post #105 of 15567 Old 04-06-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Oh, one more thing with regaurd to that "Piano Black rear panel", (it's just cheap brittle plastic). It was also on the NX700, and it was very annoying; the TV for the first HOUR it was turned on as well as the first hour it was turned off, would make these intermittent crackling noises, which were louder than you might imagine. My assumption is that these were expansion/contraction noises.

Then when I got the EX700, I found that the back is made out of metal instead of plastic, and guess what, it makes no expansion/contraction noises at all. So it seems plausible that britle plastic rear panel on the LX900 and NX700 was causing the noises.

So ever since then when checking out TV's at Best Buy I find myself checking out the construction of the back of the TV...
post #106 of 15567 Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 AM

I'm really leaning towards the XBR-65HX929 as my ultimate choice for my new HDTV. I cannot find it for pre-order anywhere, only the 55" model. I will keep scouring, though. Anthonymoody, congratulations on your sweet deal! Please post pictures when it arrives and keep us posted on any news about your TV!
post #107 of 15567 Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am really interested in the HX929, so much so that I have already pre-ordered the 55 HX929! The initial videos and feedback from CES 11 look petty encouraging.

I am coming from a 50 inch Panasonic 720P plasma that I purchased in 2006, so I am looking forward to a big improvement in picture quality. I initially considered the Panasonic VT30; but due to recent news of floating whites and unstable gamma on GT30, I am a pretty skeptical about the VT30.

In any case, I would really appreciate your feedback for a couple of quick questions:

1. Does anyone know how the off-angle viewing will be for the HX929? I saw the HX909, NX810 and XBR8 in person but was not totally happy with the viewing angles. I think someone posted that they are better for the 929, but I didn't hear any specifics. Any idea how good it will be?

2. Does anyone know the local dimming zones for the HX929? Are there more zones expected than the Samsung B8500 and Sony XBR8?

3. Does the HX929 have the same Opticontrast panel that is on the NX810?

Thanks guys.
post #108 of 15567 Old 04-06-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post

1. Does anyone know how the off-angle viewing will be for the HX929? I saw the HX909, NX810 and XBR8 in person but was not totally happy with the viewing angles. I think someone posted that they are better for the 929, but I didn't hear any specifics. Any idea how good it will be?

I'm realizing that I'm just going to have to wait and see it in person. While this forum is great for being aware of any known/possible issues to look out for, ultimately I'll need to see it in person and come to my own conclusion. Even if there were actual stats on 'viewing angle' I doubt they' fully convey actual real-world viewing.

Given that sonystyle.com says it's shipping the 55" HX929 about two weeks from now, I'm guessing it could be on display at Best Buy around mid- to late- May, to see it for myself...
post #109 of 15567 Old 04-06-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-It-Yourself View Post

Yessir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagorunner10 View Post

I had originally ordered an NX700 last spring, (which has the monolithic glass like the LX900 and HX909), and I thought the viewing angle was absurdly bad. (Not to mention the 'cones' issue, which was also bad). Standing completely in the center looked great and then just moving two feet to the left or right caused significant degradation.

There was no way I was keeping it for the $2400 I had paid for the NX700

I also checked out the LX900 and a couple other monolithic models and came to the opinion that the glass Sony was using for the monolithic look, which I think looks very cool, was causing the poor viewing angle.

I ended up going with the EX700, cost $1000 less(!!), no monolithic design, but the picture quality was without question better, and not only was the viewing angle much better, I was actually very impressed with how wide I could go before there was any significant degradation; wider than anyone would reasonably want to watch it. After having had the NX700 in my place, at first the EX700 didn't look quite as cool, but after a couple weeks, didn't even notice/think about it. What good is having a cool designed TV if the picture quality is mediocre...

I've been far happier with the EX700 even though it does have the cooler design (not to mention $1000 cheaper!)

So anyway, I'll be waiting in anticipation to see if this new 'Gorilla Glass' is better in terms of not impacting the viewing angle; (I'm presuming the previous NX700, HX909 didn't also use Gorilla Glass since it was never mentioned until recently with these new models). I've love to get an HX929, but not going to spend that kind of money unless they get it right this time.

Maybe the glass does make the viewing angle worse (though i dont understand why that would be the case) I certainly disagree about it making the picture look worse.

From straight on the monolithic glass Sony uses makes the picture look much "richer" and gives it that impression of looking through a "window" with outstanding clarity. It seems the models without the glass lack the same clarity to me.

Also, not all the glass panels have that "piano black rear panel". The HX9 does not have that and produces a phenomenal picture.
post #110 of 15567 Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Also, not all the glass panels have that "piano black rear panel". The HX9 does not have that and produces a phenomenal picture.

I agree, I saw the HX909 on display and I noticed the metal construction on the back. I wasn't drawing any comparison of the black plastic to picture quality, only of that black plastic construction on the back to the expansion/contraction crackling noises.
post #111 of 15567 Old 04-07-2011, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe the glass does make the viewing angle worse (though i dont understand why that would be the case) I certainly disagree about it making the picture look worse.
From straight on the monolithic glass Sony uses makes the picture look much "richer" and gives it that impression of looking through a "window" with outstanding clarity. It seems the models without the glass lack the same clarity to me.

The question is if limited viewing angle results from Sony monolithic technology which is quite unique. They fill the gap between the outer glass and panel glass with special transparent resin. This eliminates light dispersion and reflections between the two glass layers. It could be then that at the same time and with strong AR coating the display emission is looking more directional. This is speculation with no real proof but if this year monolithic has the same problem it will mean this is inherent to this tech.

irkuck
post #112 of 15567 Old 04-07-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurtbad View Post

I'm really leaning towards the XBR-65HX929 as my ultimate choice for my new HDTV. I cannot find it for pre-order anywhere, only the 55" model. I will keep scouring, though. Anthonymoody, congratulations on your sweet deal! Please post pictures when it arrives and keep us posted on any news about your TV!

Definitely will do, though september is still a long way away. Like...all of baseball season (except for us Yankee fans who always get October ball :P)

Quote:

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am really interested in the HX929, so much so that I have already pre-ordered the 55 HX929! The initial videos and feedback from CES 11 look petty encouraging.

I am coming from a 50 inch Panasonic 720P plasma that I purchased in 2006, so I am looking forward to a big improvement in picture quality. I initially considered the Panasonic VT30; but due to recent news of floating whites and unstable gamma on GT30, I am a pretty skeptical about the VT30.

Cool about the pre order! Two weeks isn't far off at all though I'm sure it feels like an eternity! Can't wait to hear your thoughts. And you'll probably answer your own questions before anyone else can

As for the problems with the latest Panny plasmas I stopped following the threads on the GT30 and wasn't aware of that stuff. But jeeeeeeeeez is Panny ever not going to do a two steps forward one step back thing each new model year?? Fix the blacks but screw up the whites

I know we can necessarily extrapolate these problems to the vt30, especially at much larger scree sizes where performance sometimes does differ even between different sized models from the same line. But still...ugh.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #113 of 15567 Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:

EX700 ... viewing angle much better, I was actually very impressed with how wide I could go before there was any significant degradation; wider than anyone would reasonably want to watch it.

I saw the EX700 today at Best Buy and felt the opposite about the viewing angle. Anything over about 15* off center, resulted in the picture becoming washed out and the color's looking significantly dull.

I had checked out the EX723 the other day and was impressed by the off angle viewing. I'm guessing Sony has corrected the issues that I saw with the EX700
post #114 of 15567 Old 04-07-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Definitely will do, though september is still a long way away. Like...all of baseball season (except for us Yankee fans who always get October ball :P)

Cool about the pre order! Two weeks isn't far off at all though I'm sure it feels like an eternity! Can't wait to hear your thoughts. And you'll probably answer your own questions before anyone else can

As for the problems with the latest Panny plasmas I stopped following the threads on the GT30 and wasn't aware of that stuff. But jeeeeeeeeez is Panny ever not going to do a two steps forward one step back thing each new model year?? Fix the blacks but screw up the whites

I know we can necessarily extrapolate these problems to the vt30, especially at much larger scree sizes where performance sometimes does differ even between different sized models from the same line. But still...ugh.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about receiving the HX929. As long as the viewing angle on this set is acceptable, I think this one will be a keeper for several years. Unfortunately, I'll be on vacation for a couple of weeks end of April, so I won't have a chance to accept delivery until I get back in mid-May. I'll rely on you guys for your feedback in the meantime.

The Panny 720 set that I have has been a great TV. However, Panny's QC is definitely under question in the last couple of years. The GT30 and VT30 have the same panel, with the VT30 having a better filter and video processing. So if GT30 has the issues, I am not sure what they can do to fix them other than firmware upgrades--which Panasonic has historically not done (ex. 2010).

Looking forward to seeing a whole of living room pictures of this set after Apr 24th.

Cheers,
Ken
post #115 of 15567 Old 04-07-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVShopping View Post

I saw the EX700 today at Best Buy and felt the opposite about the viewing angle. Anything over about 15* off center, resulted in the picture becoming washed out and the color's looking significantly dull.

I had checked out the EX723 the other day and was impressed by the off angle viewing. I'm guessing Sony has corrected the issues that I saw with the EX700

hmm, interesting. perhaps more of that 'panel lottery' nonsense...
post #116 of 15567 Old 04-07-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:

hmm, interesting. perhaps more of that 'panel lottery' nonsense...

Is Sony sticking with one panel for the HX929 Series or are they going lottery style? Which panel is it supposed to ship with?
post #117 of 15567 Old 04-07-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVShopping View Post

Is Sony sticking with one panel for the HX929 Series or are they going lottery style? Which panel is it supposed to ship with?

You'd hope for their 'flagship' model they'd have one high quality panel type in all units made.

I actually wasn't aware that Sony did the whole 'panel lottery' thing, but based your feedback on the EX700 that you saw on display that had the poor viewing angle, and my EX700 that has quite impressive viewing angles, maybe they do...
post #118 of 15567 Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:

You'd hope for their 'flagship' model they'd have one high quality panel type in all units made.

I actually wasn't aware that Sony did the whole 'panel lottery' thing, but based your feedback on the EX700 that you saw on display that had the poor viewing angle, and my EX700 that has quite impressive viewing angles, maybe they do...

I would expect a panel lottery for the low- and mid-range models, but I was under the understanding that Sony used the same panels for all the flagship models--a testament to Sony's relative good quality control. I'm not sure if I have heard about panel lottery in the XBR8 and 909 models. That said, however, the HX929 does appear to use the same OptiContrast panel that is used on the NX810 and HX909. However,the caveat is that the 929 will use a "Gorilla glass", which could impact viewing angles but might be a marketing play as well. We'll have to wait to see how this model turns out. Hopefully the 929 will live up to the hype.
post #119 of 15567 Old 04-08-2011, 11:48 AM

The 929's are also supposed to incorporate Corning's Gorilla glass (like iphone 4)
and have the 3D emitters in the tv.

The 46 is avaiable for preorder on Amazon albeit
at MSRP. That's likely to change pretty quickly after release.
post #120 of 15567 Old 04-08-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

However,the caveat is that the 929 will use a "Gorilla glass", which could impact viewing angles but might be a marketing play as well. We'll have to wait to see how this model turns out. Hopefully the 929 will live up to the hype.

There is no base to think Gorilla has impact on the viewing angle. This glass should be just slightly thinner but there is no evidence this may improve the viewing angle.

irkuck
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page