Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 408 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12211 of 15574 Old 02-13-2012, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post

Apparently there's a phantom in my HX929. It keeps randomly bringing up the warning image stating a child is too close to the television. I had this sensor disabled and it still keeps doing it. Odd.

I'm having clouding issues in the bottom left and right corners anyways so I need to get it replaced with Amazon.

Hello Vaxick, According to the i manual, the intelligent Presents Sensor can't have anything in front of the sensor.
I believe it's the small square kind of clear box to the left of the Sony logo in the middle bottom of the set.
Also the detection range is ''Overhead View 6m (20ft) 60o'' / ''Side view 40o 6m (20ft)''

To turn this off, you need to [Home] ''Settings [Preferences]'' then [Distance Alert] from your remote.
If that doesn't work try a soft reset by unplugging the set for 30 sec.
If that doesn't work I would contact Sony. http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/index.pl
The clouding issue (read post on here about that) would probably be addressed by Sony as well.
Hope things work out for you.
Peace & blessings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioBravia View Post

Hello, can i please ask some advice?

I am purchasing a brand new Bravia HX923 (UK version of the HX929) but I am not sure if I should buy the 55 or the 65 inches one.

My current tv is the 55X4500, therefore I'd naturally choose the 55 inches 923 because I am quite happy with the size but i am really tempted to get the bigger one, as i loved moving from my previous 46 inches x2000 to the 55 inches one, but I don't want to be disappointed because distance from sofa may be too little for such a big tv perhaps and therefore i could see pixels or artefacts?

Is the 65 too big for a distance from the sofa of 205cm (sofa is 170 cm away from tv, but my head is 205 cm from tv which is 6.72 feet).

I normally watch programs in HD, rarely in SD unless I have to.

I have noticed that the 65 inches one is exactly same lenght of my 55x4500 (because my tv has the size speakers) but it is 10 cm taller.

Finally, am i more likely to get the issue with lines of hx series which some users have reported with the 65 or with the 55 (or hopefully the new builds won't have the issue anyway?) Thanks in advance for your time

Hello, GioBravia, Welcome to the forum, although I believe this is subjective base on your preference, I actually upgraded from a 60'' Hatachi before I purchased my 65'' HX929 and I loved the size increase from the distance of 10ft away.
I believe that if you purchase the 55'' or the 65'' you will notice more artifacts on both because of the greate picture quility of the Sony HX929's.
I would go for the gusto, and get the 65'' like I did, If I would have gotten the smaller, I would always be thinking on how it would have been to have the larger....
This is the $99 wall mount up to 65'' Sony Mountplus. http://www.amazon.com/Unibrak-UNB-55...=5336055023-20 Hope that helps.
Peace & blessings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12212 of 15574 Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I am purchasing a brand new Bravia HX923 (UK version of the HX929) but I am not sure if I should buy the 55 or the 65 inches one.

Thanks in advance for your time

I think this is the more reason you should get the 65", some people complains that when they watch non-HD videos in 65" the PQ is not that good. But I say, if I could afford it, I would've gone to 65" instead of my 55" and I have a fairly small viewing distance.
post #12213 of 15574 Old 02-13-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Is the 65 too big for a distance from the sofa of 205cm (sofa is 170 cm away from tv, but my head is 205 cm from tv which is 6.72 feet).

A quick Google came up with this calculator that has lots of good information: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html
post #12214 of 15574 Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 AM

This past weekend I was trying to price sony's ext warranty for my xbr. Said couldn't get sence past 180 days. Do you guys know if they will if I call in ? Or what be next best?

XBR55HX929/HT-CT550W, LN46A750/HT-WS1R, PS3 60g(now 320g WDblack), Xbox 360 60g, Wii, Gaming PC. Xbox Live:Fordlighting, PSN:Gatorsnack.
post #12215 of 15574 Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Don't even think about anything else than the 65" . From this distance you will have fantastic immersive viewing - provided that you also position your TV at the right height. Right height is such that the eye level is slightly above (10% of the picture height) the horizontal middle of the display. This means bottom of the TV is quite low from the floor level. Such placement guarantees very natural and relaxing head position for such a big display, having direct eye contact when there are talking heads on the screen, and seeing the ground/earth/floor shown on the screen naturally in the bottom. This also fits very well for 3D, rightly done 3D is amazing on the 65" e.g. 3D from the Kylie Minouge last year concert in London which they now broadcast around in Europe.

irkuck
post #12216 of 15574 Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 PM

Hi All,

thanks a lot for the advice,
65 inches then it will be :-) will keep you posted when I get it at the weekend
Hope I won't go blind
Tested it in store today and with HD it looked amazing from that distance, SD was ok, but i won't watch much HD anyway

Thanks a lot !!!
post #12217 of 15574 Old 02-13-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post

This is the only knock I have against this set.

Thank you i have just confirmed that the independent dynamic backlight does not work in a correct or (expected way) in 3-D mode,vivid mode ,or game mode.
Vivid mode is the worse.

... Lets be clear about how this is working. Lets take a few white words on a black background for example. LEDs that are in the zone where the letters are will be on, with ALL the other zones where there are no letters will be off in the black areas. This is a kick A$$ just why I bought the crt like blacks set.
Worth the money fantastic. Correctly working zone backlight

Now lets go to vivid mode, game mode, or 3 d mode,take your pick.
same scenario, not only will the led zones be lit where the letters are so will all the other zones be lit although not as much as the ones where the letters are. Incorrect zone backlight function. this is working like a NON zone backlight.

This spoils and completely ruins the whole reason to buy a set like this.
Black areas are no longer black but gray yuk, just like any old common lcd tv.
NOW IF there is no signal with any signal what so ever , like a fade to a commercial it will go black or off. That's fine but expected,and not enough.
That is exactly how the 65 3-D vizeo works. Its also why it was returned and looks like the price is falling on that set all the time. Last time I looked it can be had for 2200 vs. the 3500 I had played.Kept it a couple days. Poor blacks that would go off in between comical.

I certainly expect BETTER from SONY and especially for that kind of money!!!

For this set to work properly it should operate the backlight (led zones) just like it does in standard mode with the independent zones going black when there is no picture info there in those zones. I consider this a oversight or defect in the software and logarithms for the backlight for those modes.

Lets do what we can to let Sony know that we would like for our led backlight to operate correctly in all modes not just some.

Modes that are incorrect. no zone function.
Vivid
game
3-D

Modes that work correctly but lack contrast.
Standerd Custom Cinema 1 and 2

You should post your above statement in it's entirety on SONY"S Facebook page "SONY LISTENS" they always respond to inquiries such as you've stated. Request a responce from them. They frequent that site by sony's request trying to help ?/ worth a try, No?

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #12218 of 15574 Old 02-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

You should post your above statement in it's entirety on SONY"S Facebook page "SONY LISTENS" they always respond to inquiries such as you've stated. Request a responce from them. They frequent that site by sony's request trying to help ?/ worth a try, No?

Although instead of local dimming does not work in Vivid, game mode, 3D mode.

Local dimming does not work in 3D mode and Game mode. Vivid mode does not work remove it.
post #12219 of 15574 Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM

Liked: 11
I thought I might give an update on the 65HX-929 (build date December 2011) which I received this past week. I have been very busy installing the mount and the concealed wiring for this set. However, this past weekend, I did have an opportunity to turn it on even though I had not finished install. My wife tells me the TV can stay, but the box.....well the box needs to disappear very soon. I think I know what she means.

My first impression out of the box was that I really liked the clean lines of this set. Second impression after turning it on was that I was not liking the PQ and was at this point concerned. I was seeing splotches of blur in the pictures. The color seem very harsh and actually dark. However, I remembered a post from I believe, Reggmail that explained that the picture changes as you adjust and with a few hours of use. So I started playing with the settings and after numerous preliminary changes based on some of the settings that I had seen on the AVS Forum and much thanks to the settings supplied by IMRIZZO, the PQ took a dramatic improvement. So much so that although the final adjustments have not been made, the PQ is now quite impressive.

Now for the good news: After looking at the picture over the weekend, I can say that I have NO so called crease. I have NO stuck pixels. The blacks on this set are simply amazing!! When the scene calls for a black edge, it is hard to see where the frame of the set and the picture meet at times. There does not seem to be a problem with the DSE that many have been talking about.

Now for the other side of the "picture": I am able to see a "slight" vertical banding on the picture. I repeat that the banding is slight. I can see this particularly when the camera is panning a sky scene or some uniform light color, but you need to be looking for it, which I was. I remembered that someone else metioned they too had seen banding at first and then after some use it seemed to disappear. Here's hoping that is what will happen in this case. However, it certainly is acceptable considering that I shutter to think what I could have recieved in the way of PQ had I seen some of the things others on this Forum have mentioned. No way will I be sending this back for a replacement. It is a keeper.

Now for the engineering suggestion: I am mounting this on an exterior wall with a Sanus mount which provides a 1-1/2" space behind the TV. This was more than I wanted, but I felt it should work for this set. Well you can imagine my surprise when I realized that the 65 version of the 929 has a different connection arrangement in the back vs the 46 and the 55. In that Sony took there time with releasing the specs on this set, I (wrongly) figured that the connections would be similar. They are not. A number of the plugs simply plug in perpendicular to the panel. The other 929 plug in from the bottom. Guess what? I have HDMI, Optical, Internet, and Component plugs which are 2 to 2-1/2" deep. Does not work well when you have only 1-1/2". I know that they make some connectors that swivel and turn 90 degrees which certainly help, but not all the connectors work this way. It is a problem when you have drywall and furring strips on a block wall behind the TV. Well the problem is now resolved, but I can say it was not easy when one is trying to conceal all of the wiring. Why? is the question did it not simply plug in from below?

Overall I'm very pleased, and very much appreciate the comments here on the Forum, as I have learned much from reading the post.

Best Regards!
post #12220 of 15574 Old 02-13-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Local dimming does not work in 3D mode and Game mode. Vivid mode does not work remove it.

I actually got this to repro and posted my findings in one of my earlier posts on this particular idea.

It's not that LD "does not work", but that the minimum value that the backlight is allowed to go is different in all these different scenes. Game mode has a fairly high minimum (Graphics is barely better). Cinema has the lowest in that it will go off. General (Standard/Custom) actually has a non-zero minimum (!).

The interesting thing is that all these values are still very low and depend on where you have the backlight set. So the higher the backlight, it seems to pull the minimum up with it. I only noticed the backlight in Standard/Custom in a pitch black room. And I don't notice the backlight in Cinema, despite using the same settings in each.

Again, I can't speak for Vivid since the LD controls are locked away from the user, so it could be that they shut them off, or everything is just so bright that the minimum has been brought up from the lower values you can achieve on Standard.

But I can also confirm that LD does have an effect on black levels in Game/3D modes. Just that this minimum backlight value is causing problems. In 3D, I suspect the max backlight setting is the biggest problem.

And I wonder how much is content related. Because if the TV, after processing perceives anything as "not-zero" luminance, it should turn on the backlight for that zone. I've also watched films where IRE0 is never really reached at any point. In gaming, it's really easy that you reach IRE0 in the game, but because that isn't really "zero", the backlight is being left on. It makes me wonder how many game consoles actually output RGB 0,0,0 as black versus using IRE0 as black (Game mode on the Sony seems to assume that RGB 0,0,0 is black).
post #12221 of 15574 Old 02-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHVIDEO View Post

Now for the engineering suggestion: I am mounting this on an exterior wall with a Sanus mount which provides a 1-1/2" space behind the TV. This was more than I wanted, but I felt it should work for this set. Well you can imagine my surprise when I realized that the 65 version of the 929 has a different connection arrangement in the back vs the 46 and the 55. In that Sony took there time with releasing the specs on this set, I (wrongly) figured that the connections would be similar. They are not. A number of the plugs simply plug in perpendicular to the panel. The other 929 plug in from the bottom. Guess what? I have HDMI, Optical, Internet, and Component plugs which are 2 to 2-1/2" deep. Does not work well when you have only 1-1/2". I know that they make some connectors that swivel and turn 90 degrees which certainly help, but not all the connectors work this way. It is a problem when you have drywall and furring strips on a block wall behind the TV. Well the problem is now resolved, but I can say it was not easy when one is trying to conceal all of the wiring. Why? is the question did it not simply plug in from below?

Best Regards!

I have the 65HX929 and a Sanus mount. I ended up buying a bunch of right angle connectors which probably work better for me than bottom facing plugs since my cables then feed into a hole that I made in the wall. Like you, I wonder why they changed the design. My mount is not as close to the wall as yours because it is a swivel mount but it still looks gerat.
post #12222 of 15574 Old 02-13-2012, 04:18 PM

Hi everyone,

I was curious as to how strict Sony's exchange program is with this set. I've come to the conclusion that I have pretty bad DSE and banding. It only shows up during a certain shade of blue/green/gray, but it's absolutely terrible. On white scrolling screens, it's almost like I have a black checkerboard behind the lighting.

Granted this will be my first exchange, is Sony pretty easy with this sort of thing? How hard will it be to convince them I have an issue?
post #12223 of 15574 Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post

I actually got this to repro and posted my findings in one of my earlier posts on this particular idea.

It's not that LD "does not work", but that the minimum value that the backlight is allowed to go is different in all these different scenes. Game mode has a fairly high minimum (Graphics is barely better). Cinema has the lowest in that it will go off. General (Standard/Custom) actually has a non-zero minimum (!).

The interesting thing is that all these values are still very low and depend on where you have the backlight set. So the higher the backlight, it seems to pull the minimum up with it. I only noticed the backlight in Standard/Custom in a pitch black room. And I don't notice the backlight in Cinema, despite using the same settings in each.

Again, I can't speak for Vivid since the LD controls are locked away from the user, so it could be that they shut them off, or everything is just so bright that the minimum has been brought up from the lower values you can achieve on Standard.

But I can also confirm that LD does have an effect on black levels in Game/3D modes. Just that this minimum backlight value is causing problems. In 3D, I suspect the max backlight setting is the biggest problem.

And I wonder how much is content related. Because if the TV, after processing perceives anything as "not-zero" luminance, it should turn on the backlight for that zone. I've also watched films where IRE0 is never really reached at any point. In gaming, it's really easy that you reach IRE0 in the game, but because that isn't really "zero", the backlight is being left on. It makes me wonder how many game consoles actually output RGB 0,0,0 as black versus using IRE0 as black (Game mode on the Sony seems to assume that RGB 0,0,0 is black).

Nice finds there, i always felt cinema looked better even on my HX823.

By Vivid being broke i meant horribly over saturated and unusable for anyone who cares about picture quality.
post #12224 of 15574 Old 02-13-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibap View Post

Hi IMRIZZO, would you please share your settings please? I just bought the 55HX929 and want to try your popular settings. Mine is dated Jan 2012. Bought it from Amazon.

First impression: WOW! I couldn't believe it. I came from the KDS-55A2000 and it was a lot better. I am glad I made the right choice. Originally was thinking about buying Samsung TV but man, this is amazing.

IMRIZZO, got your settings. I'm testing as you suggested. A little dark as you mentioned but will see after a week. Thanks.
post #12225 of 15574 Old 02-13-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:

There is no way I could watch a 65" screen from 6 or 7 feet away!

Try and find a friend who has one and test it out. They all look smaller in the big stores but once you are in a small room the screen can swallow you up real fast.

IMO a smaller screen will absolutely look much crisper and sharper at that distance.
post #12226 of 15574 Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Could you folks refer me to best settings to get started with for DTV Hd Dvr?
post #12227 of 15574 Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Nice finds there, i always felt cinema looked better even on my HX823.

By Vivid being broke i meant horribly over saturated and unusable for anyone who cares about picture quality.

I think you just described every Vivid mode in any TV. It is a shame that some of the important settings are locked in that mode though.

I used to use Standard and Custom mostly, with day/night settings. Now I primarily use Cinema.

The more I think about it though, the more it makes sense. The point in which the backlight is turned off matches the content. Cinema - IRE0. General - Some negative IRE since broadcasts aren't all perfect. Gaming - RGB0 since your input could also be a PC or other full RGB device. But the catch is that I'd bet game consoles normally use IRE0 as their black point, and it may even change from game to game.
post #12228 of 15574 Old 02-14-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Could you folks refer me to best settings to get started with for DTV Hd Dvr?

Probably depends on which model you have. For 65" my settings work great with my HR20-700 and the new HDGUI.

I have an HDMI switch for my DVR, Blu-Ray, and Mac Mini so am using a single HDMI input on the set.

As I mention in that link, the Color setting needs to be reduced significantly for most channels. The high setting is only good for high quality sources like Blu-Ray or some of the movie channels. I handle that by programming two different Scenes with the different Color settings.
post #12229 of 15574 Old 02-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post

I think you just described every Vivid mode in any TV. It is a shame that some of the important settings are locked in that mode though.

I used to use Standard and Custom mostly, with day/night settings. Now I primarily use Cinema.

The more I think about it though, the more it makes sense. The point in which the backlight is turned off matches the content. Cinema - IRE0. General - Some negative IRE since broadcasts aren't all perfect. Gaming - RGB0 since your input could also be a PC or other full RGB device. But the catch is that I'd bet game consoles normally use IRE0 as their black point, and it may even change from game to game.

Its a shame manufacturers don't leave Vivid/Dynamic to shop mode (better yet get rid of it altogether) and as soon as you select home it is inaccessible.

Aaron
post #12230 of 15574 Old 02-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrogalla View Post

Since its controlled by a computer 128 sounds correct as it translates
to 177 octal. Computers are binary and only count to 7.

Ummm..no.
Computers are binary and each bit only counts to 2 (0 and 1) representing a state of "on" or "off". Binary means 2. In 8 bits, you can have 256 values (0-255). In 16 bits, you can have 65,536 values (0-65,535).

You can store 128 in 7 bits (0-127). Octal (or Hexadecimal, while we're at it) has nothing to do with it. It's just a way to represent a number in fewer bytes.
post #12231 of 15574 Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmafia View Post

There is no way I could watch a 65" screen from 6 or 7 feet away!

Try and find a friend who has one and test it out. They all look smaller in the big stores but once you are in a small room the screen can swallow you up real fast.

IMO a smaller screen will absolutely look much crisper and sharper at that distance.

I originally purchased the 65HX929 . I was at a distance of about 9 feet and although it was great for watching movies, I felt overwhelmed with its size during everyday viewing especially when I was just trying to relax. I felt like I was getting a suntan! After 2 days my eyes felt tired.

I totally agree with muscimafia as well. Aside from being too close to the 65HX929, The picture seemed very soft to me. I ended up returning the 65 and picked up the 55HX929. The picture on the 55 is much sharper and crisper. IMO 65 inch screens blow up the pixels way too much. I would grab the 55 and wait for these huge screens to be available at 4k resolution
post #12232 of 15574 Old 02-14-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixguru View Post

Probably depends on which model you have. For 65" my settings work great with my HR20-700 and the new HDGUI.

I have an HDMI switch for my DVR, Blu-Ray, and Mac Mini so am using a single HDMI input on the set.

As I mention in that link, the Color setting needs to be reduced significantly for most channels. The high setting is only good for high quality sources like Blu-Ray or some of the movie channels. I handle that by programming two different Scenes with the different Color settings.

I have 55, 929' connected to HR 22 or 23, I have to check.
Thanks
post #12233 of 15574 Old 02-14-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:

I know binary is composed of 2 parts. On (1) and off (0). In the following explaination 128 = 177 when using binary. Thats what I meant. Little
history I worked on the worlds first full transistorized computer in 1961.

Software engineer here myself. That's kinda why I had to call you on this misconception. Again, your claim (emphasis mine):

Quote:

Since its controlled by a computer 128 sounds correct as it translates
to 177 octal
. Computers are binary and only count to 7.

177 octal is not binary, nor does any octal value have any specific significance. It is just a way to represent larger binary numbers in a human-readable way (do you want to read 30 digits, or 10?). The number in octal is utterly insignificant, confusing, and mis-informational at best when discussing this with people who haven't gone through the base-2, base-8, base-10, base-16 primers that those in computer engineering/science must go through.

Computers are binary, yes, but "only count to 7" is a complete eyebrow raiser to me. Computers can count as high as you want, provided you have enough binary digits (bits, 0 and 1s). The smallest unit in modern computing is the byte, which is 8 bits (256 different values). Nibbles used to be interesting, but even they could store 16 different values.

128 is interesting, but not for any of the reasons you've stated. To me it says: They wanted the memory used to store the brightness of each zone to align properly. 128 bytes (or 128 words/etc) aligns well on 4-byte boundaries. This makes certain things very easy, or faster. But it isn't any magical limit. If they were doing it wrong and only using a byte to count the number of zones, they could still go up to 256. The Elite has over 200. But in the end, no memory alignment stuff matters (or makes sense) to the TV buyer. So aligning to any interesting number is just that, interesting to us geeks.

And because modern computing is built on the byte (and the nibble before it), hexadecimal is more common than octal. Because 2 hexadecimal digits = 8 binary digits. It aligns perfectly with the actual number of binary digits computers use while also making it a lot easier to read/remember.

EDIT: Also, if you actually do the conversion yourself, you don't get 177 octal. You get 200 octal. Which is kinda cool on its own, but still doesn't have any bearing on the discussion. Can't believe I missed that, but that's what I get for not mucking with octal in so long.
post #12234 of 15574 Old 02-14-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoc59 View Post

I originally purchased the 65HX929 . I was at a distance of about 9 feet and although it was great for watching movies, I felt overwhelmed with its size during everyday viewing especially when I was just trying to relax. I felt like I was getting a suntan! After 2 days my eyes felt tired.

I totally agree with muscimafia as well. Aside from being too close to the 65HX929, The picture seemed very soft to me. I ended up returning the 65 and picked up the 55HX929. The picture on the 55 is much sharper and crisper. IMO 65 inch screens blow up the pixels way too much. I would grab the 55 and wait for these huge screens to be available at 4k resolution

mmattoc, im glad you sorted that out...i was worried i would have to send you some SPF75 sunscreen!
post #12235 of 15574 Old 02-14-2012, 05:47 PM

Hi
i am thinking of buying 55 hx929 is this tv good for watching sports like soccer and playing video games
post #12236 of 15574 Old 02-15-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantedboys View Post

Hi
i am thinking of buying 55 hx929 is this tv good for watching sports like soccer and playing video games

Yes
post #12237 of 15574 Old 02-15-2012, 07:14 AM
jqs

Hey everyone, I've had my HX929 since last October and am completely satisfied with everything about the set except one: almost every time I (or my wife) turns on the TV we are waiting an eternity for all the 'apps' to load.

This wouldn't be a problem but for two reasons:

1: If I want to turn on the TV to mess with settings, I'm waiting at the menu for the icons to popup.
2: The guide is not ready immediately. Yes, I know it needs to download info etc. But it doesn't seem to be prioritized to load early.

These issues are supplemented by a problem that is our primary bane. If an app (usually the guide) isn't loaded by the time you try to access it, the TV will reset turning off and back on.

Almost every other time I turn the TV on and hit guide the TV resets itself. Otherwise the set is unresponsive to remote inputs (Harmony One) for about 15seconds.

Does anyone else have this problem or am I maybe running with some odd setting enabled ('screw with the user' = On) or is the unit defective?
post #12238 of 15574 Old 02-15-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantedboys View Post

Hi

Yes. I just bought this TV for the same use and it's actually quite awesome for sports! No image blur or pixelation during fast action. Video games look terrific as well.
post #12239 of 15574 Old 02-15-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqs View Post

Hey everyone, I've had my HX929 since last October and am completely satisfied with everything about the set except one: almost every time I (or my wife) turns on the TV we are waiting an eternity for all the 'apps' to load.

This wouldn't be a problem but for two reasons:

1: If I want to turn on the TV to mess with settings, I'm waiting at the menu for the icons to popup.
2: The guide is not ready immediately. Yes, I know it needs to download info etc. But it doesn't seem to be prioritized to load early.

These issues are supplemented by a problem that is our primary bane. If an app (usually the guide) isn't loaded by the time you try to access it, the TV will reset turning off and back on.

Almost every other time I turn the TV on and hit guide the TV resets itself. Otherwise the set is unresponsive to remote inputs (Harmony One) for about 15seconds.

Does anyone else have this problem or am I maybe running with some odd setting enabled ('screw with the user' = On) or is the unit defective?

I don't use the apps or the guides so could the problem be the internet connection? Do you have a wired or wireless connection? Can you try wired connections and see if it will make any difference?
post #12240 of 15574 Old 02-15-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoc59 View Post

While this is a personal preference issue, unless you have better than 20/20 vision the maximum distance you can sit from a 55" screen, and fully resolve a 1080p image, is 7.1ft. For a 65" its 8.4. Only an eagle or a Raptor pilot could see pixel structure at 9ft on a 55" screen. Your viewing comfort zone is likely causing you to not be able to see the full resolution of HD.

This is not critical of your preference. Everyone likes to sit in different places in a movie theater and this really isn't much different.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread - Xbr46hx929 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page