Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 429 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Amazon has an amazing $$$ for the 65"929 scary-amazing.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColin View Post

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone here can help me solve my problem. I just upgraded from my old KDL-40XBR3 to a new 55HX929 and everything is working perfectly except now I am having problems with my HTPC bluray playback.

About once per minute the video will stutter while the audio will continue to play fine. It's roughly a 2-3 second blip where it appears that the TV is attempting to "catch up." This didn't happen with the old TV.

I've tried tweaking the settings for the HX929, but nothing has appeared to help.

I have a Yamaha RX-A1010 midstream and I have verified that when the HTPC is connected directly to the TV the problem still occurs.

WTF?

What kind of cable do you use for your video? If you're using HDMI, not sure if it will solve, maybe it's time to upgrade your HDMI cable? And does your AVR do any upconversion? Maybe turn them off?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone here can help me solve my problem. I just upgraded from my old KDL-40XBR3 to a new 55HX929 and everything is working perfectly except now I am having problems with my HTPC bluray playback.

About once per minute the video will stutter while the audio will continue to play fine. It's roughly a 2-3 second blip where it appears that the TV is attempting to "catch up." This didn't happen with the old TV.

I've tried tweaking the settings for the HX929, but nothing has appeared to help.

I have a Yamaha RX-A1010 midstream and I have verified that when the HTPC is connected directly to the TV the problem still occurs.

WTF?

Are you absolutely sure it's not your HTPC causing this? Can you try another TV with the exact same resolution and refresh settings?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 AM

Liked: 10
Try changing the cinemotion setting to Auto2 rather than auto1, I had a similar issue.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:23 AM

any thougts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tet10 View Post

Hi
Have last 2 days have problem with baclight level.

Backlight level changes automatically all the time for no reason.Alle my sensors are turned off but it doesn`t helps .Picture change brightness (brighter / darker) every minute.

I have been desperate.?
Is anyone out there had such a problem.

Can I do anything to fix it or do I live television to the service?

Old 03-19-2012, 11:35 AM

Hello All,
Please excuse me for not reading through all 400 pages of this thread for the answers, but could owners of the 55hx929 comment on the following for me?

Do the colors stay true when you aren't viewing the TV head on? I just bought a 55es8000 and when you view from just a couple of feet off center, the color fades dramatically.

How is the glare with the glass screen?

Are you please with the 3D? Are the glasses pricey?

Keep in mind that I've only owned plasmas until my most recent Samsung LED purchase, which I will be returning because of the viewing angle issue.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwong View Post

Hi Imrizzo,
I just picked up the 65 xbr because of this forum, Can I please have you settings? Thanks

Thanks Imrizzo,
I'll try these setting tonight. I appreciate it.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:12 PM

Hi all, I have been following this and the Sharp Elite PROxxX5 threads for some time. I have been watching HD since 1999, first on a PC monitor connected to a RCA DTC-100 ATSC/DirectTV receiver. Latter connected to the 57XBR via RGBHV. That set served me well All of my sets over the last 15+ years have been Sony XBR's. I have had Sony equipment for years: Preamplifer (TA-E9000ES), Blu-Ray Mega Changers, Blu-Ray 3D ready single players, VCR's (beta and VHS), and many programable remotes.
On the first day of spring, I am heading to a local B&M store that has both the 65XBR and the Elite 60X5 setting side by side. Bigger is better. For me, this will like going to the VE shootout. And yes, I have watched all of the shootouts that have been posted on U-Tube. Of course, I used one of the Blu-Ray players to stream the show to one of the HD XBR sets

My wife was in the jewelry business and has many pieces that are cyan in color . so that could be an issue with the Elite

If I go with the Sony, I will be contacting IMRIZZO, via a PM for his setting. Oh, and his picture have been great!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royrose View Post

I don't know if this helps at all. I connected my computer via hdmi so I could watch Hulu. I noticed a glitch every couple of minutes. It looks like one of the video lines is "off", like it didn't translate correctly. It then propagates down the screen and disappears. This didn't happen with my XBR2 (SXRD). Is that anything like what you are experiencing? I don't have a solution. My hx929 is near perfect otherwise.

No, I see the screen sort of freeze, while the audio continues without interruption for maybe a second or two and then everything pops back to normal.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post

What kind of cable do you use for your video? If you're using HDMI, not sure if it will solve, maybe it's time to upgrade your HDMI cable? And does your AVR do any upconversion? Maybe turn them off?

I am using an HDMI cable and when I connect the HTPC directly to the TV it still happens, so it's not the AVR. I haven't tried swapping out the HDMI cable. I'll try that, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshster View Post

Try changing the cinemotion setting to Auto2 rather than auto1, I had a similar issue.

Yeah, I saw your post earlier in this thread and tried that but it didn't work. I've also tried Cinemotion and MotionFlow both set to Off but it still didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpyBloke View Post

Are you absolutely sure it's not your HTPC causing this? Can you try another TV with the exact same resolution and refresh settings?

Unfortunately I only have 1 TV similar to the 55HX929 so I can't do that. I did reformat and rebuild the HTPC thinking that it may have been a corrupted codec or something, but that didn't help.

When I connect a regular flat panel PC monitor of the same resolution and refresh rate to the HTPC, it does not happen. Also, when I connect the to the VGA input on the TV the problem still exists.

confusing...
Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 PM

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you bought an extended warranty for this set? The Best Buy salesman was trying like hell to get me to purchase it. He said they will cover anything that happens, where Sony only covers part failures. What are all of your opinions on it? I didn't get it at the time of purchase, he said I could think about it and buy it later.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica2009 View Post

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you bought an extended warranty for this set? The Best Buy salesman was trying like hell to get me to purchase it. He said they will cover anything that happens, where Sony only covers part failures. What are all of your opinions on it? I didn't get it at the time of purchase, he said I could think about it and buy it later.

Best Buy extended warranty prices should be outlawed. Go on the internet and google TV extended warrantee and shop. Make sure you do a reviews check on each.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tet10 View Post

any thougts???

Do you have settings memory as common on picture settings? And are you using custom settings?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrogalla View Post

Best Buy extended warranty prices should be outlawed. Go on the internet and google TV extended warrantee and shop. Make sure you do a reviews check on each.

Someone, somewhere on one of these forums, suggested Costco as having the best one. $99 I think it was.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
Old 03-19-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:

I bought mine at best buy too, but the warranty was like 390. I think it's ridiculous, and never buy them. You have a one year through Sony, and they will cover all hardware except for anything you break. (ie screen, etc) save your 400.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Amazon has an amazing $$$ for the 65"929 scary-amazing.

Amazon is so secretive about not listing the prices from the no name internet distributors. Now that's scary!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately I only have 1 TV similar to the 55HX929 so I can't do that. I did reformat and rebuild the HTPC thinking that it may have been a corrupted codec or something, but that didn't help.

When I connect a regular flat panel PC monitor of the same resolution and refresh rate to the HTPC, it does not happen. Also, when I connect the to the VGA input on the TV the problem still exists.

confusing...

Whew, it turns out you were right. It was something to do with my HTPC. More specifically it was with my bluray software Total Media Theater 5. I was running the next-to-latest version which, as it turns out, does not have the latest fixes to address refresh rate incompatibilities.

I'm posting this for anyone else who may stumble across this issue; here is the URL that led me in the right direction:

http://www.missingremote.com/forums/...u-ray-playback
Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:

I did buy the best buy "black tie" warranty for mine, it was $279 for 2 years. I wouldn't have done it except for the fact that I managed to get a new-open-box 55HX929 for $2000 and I wanted the opportunity to quickly replace it if it were DOA (which it was and it was subsequently replaced with a brand new TV.)
Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Guys... It's been awhile since I've been on the LCD forums but I've come back to ask you gurus a question. Firstly you should know that I have a Pio 5020hd plasma and have been using it for everything for years now. It's been faithful to me and no sign of wear and tear yet.

I'm looking to get an LCD exclusively for watching Blu-rays. I have hundreds and I take it serious. I will still hopefully forever hold onto the Kuro because it's superb at gaming, standard definition in it's size/class, has the ability to watch 50hz/60hz content so import stuff works with proper refresh (unlike majority of tvs made today), and excellent overall colors and blacks.

With that said.. I still want to go LCD for my Blu collection because there's something about high def on locally dimmed LCDs that pulls me into the world of whatever film I'm watching. The last one I owned was the Samsung 46A950 and I'll be damned if it was about on par with my Kuro. Very nice. However I need more size!

So basically from my limited research I've managed to make it here to the HX929 thread. Is this Sony's current LCD champion? I suppose there won't be a replacement this year? Also are there problems I need to be aware of? I'm familiar with halos, slight blooming, and lag for gaming but I've come to expect this. Halos is a tradeoff I'm willing to make to get the awesome picture but blooming not so much. I hate those edge lit tvs. Lag won't be a problem because that's what my Kuro is for. Also viewing angles shouldn't be a problem because my seat will always be front and center, and it's going in a man cave.

That's about all I can think of. Oh yes and I do like an ultra clear panel (like the sammys). Since I do 100% of my movie watching in an all dark room with no windows I have no desire for a matte or semi-matte screen. I find those to be rather dull but that's just my opinion. I notice added detail every time on glossy screens and it's just something else I'm attracted to. I suppose it would also need a good motion interpolation system. I remember my 46A950 had superb interpolation that I was able to dial in.. which resulted in smooth video with no judder (while not looking fake). It'd be nice if the HX929 was like that but not a deal breaker. One of the reasons I enjoy Blus on an LCD with proper interpolation is because I'm a rare breed that finds judder annoying and have noticed it in film since I was a kid. My Kuro is horrible in this regard for 24fps which is the defacto standard in Blus. Not the panel's problem but more so my own. The 46A950 I had was perfect for motion on your everyday Blu and never once did I encounter judder. Don't mistake this for the fakeness that's talked about ppl liking. I do like how film is presented originally but I must tweak it slightly or I get a headache. So honestly how does this HX929 stack up to an A950 or B8500 of yesteryear? The Sammy B8500 was almost God-like from my limited experience with one. I have none with new LCDs.

I would get the 55" if this is the tv for me. Help?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post

I cant say enough about how great this tv is. Yes it may have some blooming but it only surrounds bright areas and it doesnt distract at all. For all those that are hesitant to buy this set because of blooming, trust me its not an issue. I am very sensitive to any artifacts or imperfections and they always bothered me with my previous lcd sets whether it was clouding, Flashlighting ghosting, blurring, stuttering etc. This tv is as close to perfect as you will ever find. The stunning crispness of the picture, contrast, sick black levels, skin tones, colors etc. will have you forgetting all about the completely insignificant blooming "issue".

This is positive feedback. Can other owners agree here?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

Guys... It's been awhile since I've been on the LCD forums but I've come back to ask you gurus a question. Firstly you should know that I have a Pio 5020hd plasma and have been using it for everything for years now. It's been faithful to me and no sign of wear and tear yet.

I'm looking to get an LCD exclusively for watching Blu-rays. I have hundreds and I take it serious. I will still hopefully forever hold onto the Kuro because it's superb at gaming, standard definition in it's size/class, has the ability to watch 50hz/60hz content so import stuff works with proper refresh (unlike majority of tvs made today), and excellent overall colors and blacks.

With that said.. I still want to go LCD for my Blu collection because there's something about high def on locally dimmed LCDs that pulls me into the world of whatever film I'm watching. The last one I owned was the Samsung 46A950 and I'll be damned if it was about on par with my Kuro. Very nice. However I need more size!

So basically from my limited research I've managed to make it here to the HX929 thread. Is this Sony's current LCD champion? I suppose there won't be a replacement this year? Also are there problems I need to be aware of? I'm familiar with halos, slight blooming, and lag for gaming but I've come to expect this. Halos is a tradeoff I'm willing to make to get the awesome picture but blooming not so much. I hate those edge lit tvs. Lag won't be a problem because that's what my Kuro is for. Also viewing angles shouldn't be a problem because my seat will always be front and center, and it's going in a man cave.

That's about all I can think of. Oh yes and I do like an ultra clear panel (like the sammys). Since I do 100% of my movie watching in an all dark room with no windows I have no desire for a matte or semi-matte screen. I find those to be rather dull but that's just my opinion. I notice added detail every time on glossy screens and it's just something else I'm attracted to. I suppose it would also need a good motion interpolation system. I remember my 46A950 had superb interpolation that I was able to dial in.. which resulted in smooth video with no judder (while not looking fake). It'd be nice if the HX929 was like that but not a deal breaker. One of the reasons I enjoy Blus on an LCD with proper interpolation is because I'm a rare breed that finds judder annoying and have noticed it in film since I was a kid. My Kuro is horrible in this regard for 24fps which is the defacto standard in Blus. Not the panel's problem but more so my own. The 46A950 I had was perfect for motion on your everyday Blu and never once did I encounter judder. Don't mistake this for the fakeness that's talked about ppl liking. I do like how film is presented originally but I must tweak it slightly or I get a headache. So honestly how does this HX929 stack up to an A950 or B8500 of yesteryear? The Sammy B8500 was almost God-like from my limited experience with one. I have none with new LCDs.

I would get the 55" if this is the tv for me. Help?

I hear you on the glossy screens. They make the picture look more vivid and crisp to me. I do have some windows in my living room, and there is a small amount of glare, but not that noticeable. As far as your question about the sony xbr being the best....it is the #2 rated led on cnet. It's only second to the elite which is ridiculously priced. So, in that aspect it is. Really, what it comes down to is preference. I did a ton of research, and all the reviews back it up as being one of the best. I went up to best buy and spent over 4 hours the first day looking at all the tv's, and the sony was my favorite. Picture is excellent (with some tweaking needed to get the best pic). I do game, and on game mode, it works flawlessly. I haven't even had to tweak any settings. (I know you said you game on your other tv, but I'd hook it up and switch on game mode just to check it out. It's pretty impressive.)

On a side note, if you read all the reviews on the xbr, they all pretty much agree it's an amazing tv. If you go with the 65, there are some issues with banding, but it's not there with the 55. Another thing to note....when I had mine hooked up to my comcast box, seems like different stations come through with different colors. (as in, you will have your pic settings setup, and then change the channel and they will look off) I've heard this is an issue with some comcast boxes and not handling the hdmi port that well. I've heard using component cables instead will help. BUT, when you hook up a blu ray, man, what a difference. I just wish cable would get up to 1080 instead of 720.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:

This is positive feedback. Can other owners agree here?

I can't agree more! It's hands down the best tv I've ever owned, and yeah, the black levels are nothing short of AMAZING!!! The 3d is really good too, but overall, I'm completely satisfied with my expensive purchase. All my friends agree when I show them...they just can't fathom dropping 2400 bucks on a tv.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
So I'm thinking about sending back my UN65D8000 and possibly getting the Sony 65HX929. I went into a Brandsmart a couple days ago close to where I live and they had the 65HX929 on display. The manufacture date said Jan '12 and it's only been on the floor for a month. They offered it to me for $3,499 with a 3 year warranty or $3,599 with a 5 year warranty. Is that a pretty good deal?? Also, I know alot of people don't care about this but 3D is a big deal to me. I had the 55HX820 and it was plagued with ghosting and crosstalk. How does the 929 hold up with 3D? Is it very noticeable or minimal? Thanks guys!

Old 03-20-2012, 07:34 AM

I'm debating if I should buy the HX929 series or the Pro Elite series. Is the graphics on Pro Elite that much better than the HX929? I went to several bestbuys, they all recommended the Panasonic VT30 or the Pro Elite. Nobody even mentioned anything about the HX929. I spotted the TV myself in Magnolia. I don't know if I should get the Pro Elite 60 or the Sony 65HX929. Any suggestions? They are around the same price.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 AM

For all curious about this TV, check out the link on my sig for a good review and perhaps will convince you to get this TV.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:

I agree with everyone. Don't get the bestbuy warranty. I got sony extended warranty for 428.00 for the 4yr.

XBR55HX929/HT-CT550W, LN46A750/HT-WS1R, PS3 60g(now 320g WDblack), Xbox 360 60g, Wii, Gaming PC. Xbox Live:Fordlighting, PSN:Gatorsnack.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post

For all curious about this TV, check out the link on my sig for a good review and perhaps will convince you to get this TV.

That is convincing. I didn't know LCDs have advanced this much so soon. It seems like the last time I checked there were so many problems with them and LCDs in general weren't taken serious by enthusiasts. I've now reading a whole lot of positive about this one so I think I'm going to order. It will be sight unseen because none of my stores ever have it on display.

There have been mention of the 65" having an issue that the 55" doesn't. I don't have room for a 65" so that's out of the question. But what's this other talk about checking the build date. Do I need to do this for the 55HX929? Does this concern the crease or something else? The thing is I'm probably going to order from Amazon as they have a good return policy if need be and with tax it's just too much at BB. I've been down that road and have a silver membership, but I've also had a good experience with Amazon (my Kuro).

But now it has me worried that I may get an early build. But I don't see how that would matter since it seems it's hardly ever in stock in my area. They'd probably have to order and that would be a lot of trouble for it to ship and be an early build. Am I being paranoid here? I've read through this forum and it looks to be my best bet but this one thing has me stumped. I'm not a fan of returning tvs anymore for the hell of it. If I buy something I'll keep it unless it breaks. So...
Old 03-20-2012, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

That is convincing. I didn't know LCDs have advanced this much so soon. It seems like the last time I checked there were so many problems with them and LCDs in general weren't taken serious by enthusiasts. I've now reading a whole lot of positive about this one so I think I'm going to order. It will be sight unseen because none of my stores ever have it on display.

There have been mention of the 65" having an issue that the 55" doesn't. I don't have room for a 65" so that's out of the question. But what's this other talk about checking the build date. Do I need to do this for the 55HX929? Does this concern the crease or something else? The thing is I'm probably going to order from Amazon as they have a good return policy if need be and with tax it's just too much at BB. I've been down that road and have a silver membership, but I've also had a good experience with Amazon (my Kuro).

But now it has me worried that I may get an early build. But I don't see how that would matter since it seems it's hardly ever in stock in my area. They'd probably have to order and that would be a lot of trouble for it to ship and be an early build. Am I being paranoid here? I've read through this forum and it looks to be my best bet but this one thing has me stumped. I'm not a fan of returning tvs anymore for the hell of it. If I buy something I'll keep it unless it breaks. So...

Well I bought mine in October and it has built date of April 2011. I haven't seen any DSE or banding issues at all.

XBR55HX929 / AVR X4000
PS3 Slim / BDP-S6200
Roku 3 / WD TV Live /Chromecast
DT PM1000 / PC2000
DVP5000

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread