Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1261 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil Tomaskovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Warrenville, Il
Posts: 1,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoder View Post

Does anyone know where i can get the 55" for under MSRP. I cancelled my pre order with crutchfield this mourning. I live near chicago and ABT will charge me tax. I do not trust amazon to ship this and arrive unscathed.

Have you even called Abt and talked to a salesperson? They will give a good price below MSRP. Yeah you'll pay tax but you will get free delivery from their truck and they will set it up where you want.

Phil Tomaskovic
Phil Tomaskovic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Newbie
 
joemoder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Woodstock,Illinois
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered 37" viera dt30 from them for my son. The box was beat to hell but miracuously the tv was ok. I made the delivery guy stand there while i opened the box.So no, not crazy. Just experienced and apprehensive. Amazon is a good store and may resolve the issue but i don't want to deal with it for this particular purchase. This set costs a small fortune and i would probably crap myself if it showed up looking like the viera box did.
joemoder is offline  
post #1263 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Senior Member
 
slapshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Frankfort,IL
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoder View Post

Does anyone know where i can get the 55" for under MSRP. I cancelled my pre order with crutchfield this mourning. I live near chicago and ABT will charge me tax. I do not trust amazon to ship this and arrive unscathed.


No offense but if you live iin the Chicago area and don't get a price quote from Abt in person (preferably) or online before any other place you'd be foolish.

My second choice would be Amazon then.
slapshot is offline  
post #1264 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bpmurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 3,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoder View Post

I just ordered 37" viera dt30 from them for my son. The box was beat to hell but miracuously the tv was ok. I made the delivery guy stand there while i opened the box.So no, not crazy. Just experienced and apprehensive. Amazon is a good store and may resolve the issue but i don't want to deal with it for this particular purchase. This set costs a small fortune and i would probably crap myself if it showed up looking like the viera box did.

Bigger TVs come freight and not subjected to a UPS/Fedex beating. If something happens Amazon will ship around one out right away. The 55D8000 I ordered from them had no damage.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

bpmurr is offline  
post #1265 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Member
 
Sfedai0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo228 View Post

Plus a slight brightness/contrast calibration would go a long way

How impressed are you thou? what tv are you gonna be replacing?

Its replacing my XBR 7 which looks obese next to this svelte thing.
Sfedai0 is offline  
post #1266 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Member
 
milk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still not one single solitary official online review of the HX929?

Wow!
milk is offline  
post #1267 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Newbie
 
joemoder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Woodstock,Illinois
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post

No offense but if you live iin the Chicago area and don't get a price quote from Abt in person (preferably) or online before any other place you'd be foolish.

My second choice would be Amazon then.

I really appreciate all the feedback. This forum is great,i'm glad i discovered it.I am working with cleveland plasma right now and if for some reason that does'nt work out i'll try calling abt. I have always owned sony tv's and ive got a real woody over this set.Almost bought the 909 but decided to wait. I was really impressed with the 909. My buddy has had the d8000 for about a month now.I think it's a step backwards for samsung pq wise but my friend thinks it's awesome so i did not share my honest opinion.I did suggest he have it calibrated.Thanks again.
joemoder is offline  
post #1268 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Member
 
Elo228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by milk View Post

Still not one single solitary official online review of the HX929?

Wow!

to be honest with you, it's freaking crazy to rely on any reviews now a days.. seems like every website has some kind of bias.

If the owner likes Samsung he's gonna find something wrong with every other brand. If the owner likes Sony he's gonna hate on every other brand.

Even Cnet said last year on their 909 review that "for the price, the PQ is not good enough" I understand that the 909 might've been a little too expensive but how about a review about the PQ compared to OTHER TVs instead of the price. I'm definitely not rich but please give an honest review, I live in a 1br apt but ultimately we care about the best out there don't we.

Thankfully Sony brought the price down this year which is the reason why I can actually can afford a bravia, so lets hope people keep that in mind before they judge image quality against itself instead of price.
Elo228 is offline  
post #1269 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
akadennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo228 View Post

It's good to hear all opinions because that is the only way (sometimes) to know if you have a TV that doesn't live up to the rest.

You seem to know what you're talking about but someone else had a review like yours that was very unhappy with the blooming just to come back 2 days later and say that the Intelligent Peak was turned off and when he turned it on he was blown away at how there was no blooming and his whole review was the opposite of what he had said.

One last thing, even thou I agree that companies should sell TVs better calibrated I think that there should be at least some basic contrast/brightness calibration and going thru some of the tv's "special" features before we post our "first reviews".

Still i appreciate people reporting this tv's strengths and weaknesses. I'll be reporting my thoughts hopefully later this week when mine arrives.

How do you turn on intelligent peak? Sorry if sounds like a stupid question but I cant find this setting (probably looking in the wrong place) I'm guessing it's a combination of LED Dynamic Control and Auto Light Limiter?
akadennis is offline  
post #1270 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Member
 
Sfedai0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been playing around and this sets picture quality is just superb. Hopefully people can post some calibrated settings to help us get a rough idea where to start. Like Dennis, I cant find the "Intelligent Peak" yet?
Sfedai0 is offline  
post #1271 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil Tomaskovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Warrenville, Il
Posts: 1,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoder View Post

I just ordered 37" viera dt30 from them for my son. The box was beat to hell but miracuously the tv was ok. I made the delivery guy stand there while i opened the box.So no, not crazy. Just experienced and apprehensive. Amazon is a good store and may resolve the issue but i don't want to deal with it for this particular purchase. This set costs a small fortune and i would probably crap myself if it showed up looking like the viera box did.

not to go too off topic but I'm surprised it wasn't delivered by one of their trucks. Did u just order online? I'll be surprised if I even see the box on Sat, they usually have it all ready to bring right in the house.

Phil Tomaskovic
Phil Tomaskovic is offline  
post #1272 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Member
 
llDonov@nll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just had the chance to play with the new HX929 next to my XBR8.

The XBR8 still have better color.

I will wait for the new upcoming successor to the XBR8 with the new RGB-LED Backlight.

Here some pictures of the Next Gen "Triluminos" backlight shown at SID 2010
(Scroll down a bit you will see the post by rgb32)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...71392&page=158
llDonov@nll is offline  
post #1273 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Member
 
buddhamonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-It-Yourself View Post

Are you joshing? For one, the Samsung has the highest input lag. But cheaper indeed.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...1105131065.htm

This is for the european model, but it says the d8000 has input lag of 33ms, alot lower than 48ms or whatever the hx929 had.
buddhamonk is offline  
post #1274 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Member
 
MasterJul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamonk View Post

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...1105131065.htm

This is for the european model, but it says the d8000 has input lag of 33ms, alot lower than 48ms or whatever the hx929 had.

And where did you find your numbers about the HX929?

So because a guy posted somewhere some numbers coming from Guitare Hero or whatever "game calibration", it's the new reference? I hope not and wait for the professionnal benchmark tools you used.
MasterJul is offline  
post #1275 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Holy bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by llDonov@nll View Post

I just had the chance to play with the new HX929 next to my XBR8.

The XBR8 still have better color.

I will wait for the new upcoming successor to the XBR8 with the new RGB-LED Backlight.

Here some pictures of the Next Gen "Triluminos" backlight shown at SID 2010
(Scroll down a bit you will see the post by rgb32)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...71392&page=158

I don't think there will be any new "RGB-LED" backlight LCD TVs from Sony in the future , they are too expensive and only very few people will buy them , that's not what Sony wants.

And I believe some people would argue that their HX909 / HX929 have more accurate color.

Sony is dead.
Holy bear is offline  
post #1276 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 10:44 PM
 
Viper2847's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 2,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy bear View Post

I don't think there will be any new "RGB-LED" backlight LCD TVs from Sony in the future , they are too expensive and only very few people will buy them , that's not what Sony wants.

And I believe some people would argue that their HX909 / HX929 have more accurate color.

One thing is for sure, the 909/929 destroy the XBR8 for blacks and overall contrast, and motion. XBR8 still might be ahead of them for color because of the RGB LED but thats all it has on them IMO.

RGB LED is most likely not coming back. XBR8 sold for $7k...
Viper2847 is offline  
post #1277 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 10:46 PM
 
Viper2847's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 2,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamonk View Post

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...1105131065.htm

This is for the european model, but it says the d8000 has input lag of 33ms, alot lower than 48ms or whatever the hx929 had.

It was measured at 48ms with local dimming on low. With LD turned off its very likely to be around 30ms, similar to the 909.

And you will get that without the crap banding and uniformity issues found on the chrome Samsung.
Viper2847 is offline  
post #1278 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
irkuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by llDonov@nll View Post

I just had the chance to play with the new HX929 next to my XBR8.
The XBR8 still have better color.

How you quantify this? Do you have calibration data for both sets? These questions arise since theoretically the XBR8 might have better color but this should be separated from errors due to the settings and calibration.
It would be good to know then both the differences from calibration data and subjective descriptions of color differences on critical content, e.g. face skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llDonov@nll View Post

I will wait for the new upcoming successor to the XBR8 with the new RGB-LED Backlight.

It is very, very unlikely something like that will appear. Sony is winding down its manuf biznes. The TV area is driven by relentless cost competition and thus the trend is to move away from anything which adds cost but does not bring consumer attention. Consumers think PQ is now good enough and they are attracted to thin sets, thus the trend is away from full array locdim to edge lit, not even mentioning the RGB backlight .

irkuck
irkuck is offline  
post #1279 of 15568 Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Member
 
Elo228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfedai0 View Post

Been playing around and this sets picture quality is just superb. Hopefully people can post some calibrated settings to help us get a rough idea where to start. Like Dennis, I cant find the "Intelligent Peak" yet?

That's what Sony calls its local dimming, sorry for the confusion.

But someone had this setting on off. Should be on standard if i'm not mistaken
Elo228 is offline  
post #1280 of 15568 Old 05-18-2011, 12:33 AM
 
Viper2847's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 2,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heres an interesting link i found regarding input lag on different sets this year.

http://www.dday.it/redazione/3298/DD...ione-2011.html
Viper2847 is offline  
post #1281 of 15568 Old 05-18-2011, 02:14 AM
Member
 
avmaxfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, when will we get to know what panel is used in the HX929???
avmaxfan is offline  
post #1282 of 15568 Old 05-18-2011, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
akadennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo228 View Post

That's what Sony calls its local dimming, sorry for the confusion.

But someone had this setting on off. Should be on standard if i'm not mistaken

And where is this local dimming setting? What is it called? I been looking and I don't see it. I see LED Dynamic Control and Auto Light Limiter, among other things a variety of sensors. I don't see local dimming or intelligent peak. Can someone clear this up? Thanks again
akadennis is offline  
post #1283 of 15568 Old 05-18-2011, 03:35 AM
Member
 
skyrma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post

And where is this local dimming setting? What is it called? I been looking and I don't see it. I see LED Dynamic Control and Auto Light Limiter, among other things a variety of sensors. I don't see local dimming or intelligent peak. Can someone clear this up? Thanks again

LED Dynamic Control Standard = Local Dimming on
LED Dynamic Control OFF = Local Dimming off

Elo228, by turning Local Dimming on (on this TV it should always be on!) you can make blooming/halo effect, and not to remove it. Without local dimming blooming/halo is not possible AFAIK. So some confusion here too.
skyrma is offline  
post #1284 of 15568 Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
akadennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrma View Post

LED Dynamic Control Standard = Local Dimming on
LED Dynamic Control OFF = Local Dimming off

Elo228, by turning Local Dimming on (on this TV it should always be on!) you can make blooming/halo effect, and not to remove it. Without local dimming blooming/halo is not possible AFAIK. So some confusion here too.

Thank you for clarifying
akadennis is offline  
post #1285 of 15568 Old 05-18-2011, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
akadennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a question about the table top stand. I see that you can tilt it, I would probably never use this but I wanted to see if it worked so I tried and it did not stay tilted. Anyone try this? I actually hate the stand and can't wait to get it on my wall. Stand wobbles too much when I was trying to remove fingerprints.
akadennis is offline  
post #1286 of 15568 Old 05-18-2011, 04:56 AM
Member
 
JimDickinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine stays tilted, but it is floppy. looks nice though, and I am too lazy to clean very often.
JimDickinson is offline  
post #1287 of 15568 Old 05-18-2011, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by avmaxfan View Post

Guys, when will we get to know what panel is used in the HX929???

I am trying to get an answer to this question from Rob McDonough at Sony.

Rob copied me on a response from a Sony Tech regarding the Motion Flow artifacts I saw, which said...

The 929 at BBY was in Retail Mode, that's why the artifacts were more noticeable. If he takes it home and puts it in Standard Mode, the performance will be same or better than the EX723.

I am still trying to figure out this response regarding how to take the display out of "retail mode". While demoing the 55hx929, I did use the SCENE mode option to change scenes as well as manually changing various image control values.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

Bytehoven is offline  
post #1288 of 15568 Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Member
 
chrisacutler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

I am trying to get an answer to this question from Rob McDonough at Sony.

Rob copied me on a response from a Sony Tech regarding the Motion Flow artifacts I saw, which said...

The 929 at BBY was in Retail Mode, that's why the artifacts were more noticeable. If he takes it home and puts it in Standard Mode, the performance will be same or better than the EX723.

I am still trying to figure out this response regarding how to take the display out of "retail mode". While demoing the 55hx929, I did use the SCENE mode option to change scenes as well as manually changing various image control values.

When I went through the initial setup last night one of the options was to set it up in retail or home mode. I believe you can get to the initial setup though one of the menus.
chrisacutler is offline  
post #1289 of 15568 Old 05-18-2011, 06:23 AM
Member
 
chrisacutler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone gone though any type of calibration to get the optimal picture setting? If so, do you care to share those settings?
chrisacutler is offline  
post #1290 of 15568 Old 05-18-2011, 06:34 AM
Member
 
Fordlightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not getting tv today.
But they said will be here tomarrow.
Had the tv stand clear and cables ready for it to show up.
The sony 3d glasses and wow blueray showed up yesterday.

XBR55HX929/HT-CT550W, LN46A750/HT-WS1R, PS3 60g(now 320g WDblack), Xbox 360 60g, Wii, Gaming PC. Xbox Live:Fordlighting, PSN:Gatorsnack.
Fordlightning is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off