Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 436 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13051 of 15574 Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntIce View Post

This other pic shows the bands in the no input screen, again the vertical bands are located in the same place and show in pannings more easily, but they are always there, when they disappear they only get masked under texture, film grain etc... they run like 2 vertical bands all along the height of the panel in the center area separated about 12" and seem lighter in color.

As they are located in the same place in several (all I have seen) 65s I guess they are originally a design decision/"compromise"/defect or there is a problem in the assembly line on these, in any case the variation in the severity from one screen to another indicates poor quality control.

As for the causes, I would like to know precisely, if its a problem with the adhesive, the leds placement or something else. Other thing I noticed is looking the back of the panel through the ventilation holes at both sides one can see these vertical bars or "bands" which correspond to the location and width of the banding that can be seen in the first pic.

They seem to be part of the structure for the wall mounting as the screws are in line with it. Someone suggested once the banding could be related to the back screws' pressure. I don't know how these are assembled but is it a coincidence?

This is exactly what I see too. I also though it seemed like it was inline with the mounting areas...

Has anyone gotten to show Sony images like this and what do they have to say about it all?

I thought I read in a past post that someone on here did loosen some screws and thought it helped something, can't remember if it was this banding or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13052 of 15574 Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 PM

Liked: 11
Anyone else have banding on the 55"?

Edit: having seen these pics, my 55 doesn't have this kind of banding...mine is more like a DSE banding...ie not as defined.
post #13053 of 15574 Old 03-28-2012, 02:41 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntIce View Post

They seem to be part of the structure for the wall mounting as the screws are in line with it. Someone suggested once the banding could be related to the back screws' pressure. I don't know how these are assembled but is it a coincidence?

Just out of curiosity, do you know if you get the same banding via component connection?

I have an old and crappy Sharp in the kid's playroom that used to be our main set a very long time ago. The banding you are showing with such uniformity would definitely suggest something is wrong. However, the Sharp we have has very similar uniform bands. These are caused by something with the HDMI that was never really nailed down (and they screwed us with the warranty on it). The bands are NOT there when connected via component however.

Just a thought to add to the speculation pile. You might have to tip your head a little with the pic to see the bands. (there are 3 pairs of them) Old pic from an old warranty claim.

Datacide

*Don't shop at The Brick...ever!*
post #13054 of 15574 Old 03-28-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Question about buying from Amazon.
I haven't purchased from them, so will someone explain how does one buy from "Amazon" in order to have piece of mind with a 30 day return. Is it true amazon pays the shipping cost back also, with TV's.

When I search amazon for the sony, it shows, available from these sellers.
If that's the case, I'm not buying from "Amazon" then, right? So the return policy is with the redirected seller? Who most of the time is not an authorized reseller.

Thank you in advance, whom ever takes the time to explain this.

I just purchased my 46HX929 from Amazon and it was delivered a bit over a week ago. Make sure you select the one that says Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. If you have that one selected there is a link at the end of the line price is on that says "details". That pops up a window and explains amazon's shipping policy along with their low TV price guarantee. It's just a brief overview but you can get the full details from there. I can vouch for the TV price guarantee as the price on the tele dropped over $100 after I purchased it. I filled out a form, and within 24 hours I had a response and they refunded me the difference. But you can only do it once and it has to be within 14 days of the date they shipped it.

Only thing I would caution about ordering form Amazon is their choice of shippers. They use Pilot and I can't say I had the best experience with them. Granted I live in the middle of nowhere completely across the country, my tele shipped from Seattle, so Pilot handed it off to a local delivery service. The box was pretty beat up when I got it and while it wasn't damaged, I was worried based on the condition of the box that it was going to be. I would imagine if you are in an area Pilot covers or you're close to where it's shipping from it might not be as much of an issue.
post #13055 of 15574 Old 03-28-2012, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko22 View Post

I just purchased my 46HX929 from Amazon and it was delivered a bit over a week ago. Make sure you select the one that says Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. If you have that one selected there is a link at the end of the line price is on that says "details". That pops up a window and explains amazon's shipping policy along with their low TV price guarantee. It's just a brief overview but you can get the full details from there. I can vouch for the TV price guarantee as the price on the tele dropped over $100 after I purchased it. I filled out a form, and within 24 hours I had a response and they refunded me the difference. But you can only do it once and it has to be within 14 days of the date they shipped it.

Only thing I would caution about ordering form Amazon is their choice of shippers. They use Pilot and I can't say I had the best experience with them. Granted I live in the middle of nowhere completely across the country, my tele shipped from Seattle, so Pilot handed it off to a local delivery service. The box was pretty beat up when I got it and while it wasn't damaged, I was worried based on the condition of the box that it was going to be. I would imagine if you are in an area Pilot covers or you're close to where it's shipping from it might not be as much of an issue.

I got my 55" HX929 as a replacement right from Sony for my bad XBR1. When it got here, I was shocked. The entire top right corner of the box was smashed. I went in the truck,unpacked it, and made sure that nothing was messed up. My set was fine. I have not had any issues with it at all. Had it now for a few months.
post #13056 of 15574 Old 03-28-2012, 03:10 PM

I know in theory it's a worst TV...but you know what?...The ST30 I got doesn't have the Pink or Green blobs issue, has great screen uniformity, perfect viewing angles & good black levels.
It's not perfect, it buzzes a bit & has some line bleeds in menus/or boxes...but never in actual live viewing....
Also, I got it at Costco, including 2 extra years of warranty totalling 3 years at no cost...
Compared to the 3 Sony 65HX929's that were ruining any kind of viewing experience with their 2 large static vertical bands that could be seen almost all the time.

In the end, I found all TV's have some flaws...but Sony's 65 XBR's are way too flawed to charge $4K, 5K or 6K for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post

You didnt move too a better tv..... The 65ST30 also have the greenblob problem like the 60A2020 has... You should of used the money and bought a elite! if its not too late, i would return that now, if i was you..

post #13057 of 15574 Old 03-28-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpyBloke View Post

Anyone else have banding on the 55"?

Edit: having seen these pics, my 55 doesn't have this kind of banding...mine is more like a DSE banding...ie not as defined.

Yep, what I was talking about. The 55 must be a different problem, more like the DSE/banding you find randomly on other lcds. The 65" in my experience is located in the same place: 2 bands in the center area (along with other less visible bands not as defined more randomly placed, which I think is the same "normal" banding you see on the 55"). And as granddavis said, I believe in some screens must be practically invisible watching head on and not represent a problem, and in others may be more visible/distracting.
post #13058 of 15574 Old 03-28-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datacide View Post

Just out of curiosity, do you know if you get the same banding via component connection?

Yes, I see your bands in the sharp. I'll see if I find a component cable around just to check, but so far I've seen them in every source I've tried HDMI, antenna... (and with no source!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poakes View Post

Compared to the 3 Sony 65HX929's that were ruining any kind of viewing experience with their 2 large static vertical bands that could be seen almost all the time.

In the end, I found all TV's have some flaws...but Sony's 65 XBR's are way too flawed to charge $4K, 5K or 6K for them.

That's my problem with this sony 65, all the good the image processing may be in comparison with "lesser" tvs, in my opinion is wasted if you get a set where you see this bands constantly. If you don't get an acceptable one it can ruin the experience.
post #13059 of 15574 Old 03-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Same banding from all sources & all inputs...the bands are part of the panel; they even show on the "no signal background"

[quote=burntIce;21840629]Yes, I see your bands in the sharp. I'll see if I find a component cable around just to check, but so far I've seen them in every source I've tried HDMI, antenna... (and with no source!)
post #13060 of 15574 Old 03-28-2012, 06:07 PM

So has anyone shown these pics of the banding to Sony? I'm curious to see what they have to say about it.
post #13061 of 15574 Old 03-28-2012, 07:12 PM

Does anyone know what this new firmware upgrade does? I asked Sony and can't get any answers. You would think they would tell us what the upgrade does before we download it !!!!
post #13062 of 15574 Old 03-28-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica2009 View Post

So has anyone shown these pics of the banding to Sony? I'm curious to see what they have to say about it.

A Sony rep came to the shop when my last set was returned. He was there to document my complaints because my credit card company " American Express " forced Sony to be present because I threatened to back charge the store until I got a set that was satisfactory to my standards. Sony wanted to send me a refurbished set to be picked up at the Dealer as an exchange, instead of a new one. This was the case for both the 2nd and 3rd replacement sets. I refused this and it started a real pissing match with AMEX and the store manager, because it is the stores policy to call Sony before replacing a set with a new one. Each time I told them I had 30 day 100% satisfaction guarantee to exchange or have it replaced from the dealer that I bought it from for a new or equivelent model. My local dealer agreed at this price it was unacceptable to receive a refurbished unit as a replacement. Amex also said that they would force Sony to supply a new set not a refurbished unit since it was within 30 days.

What burned my ass was that the owner of the Hifi shop that I personally know kept my second set and compared it to the third set I returned for a refund and while the Sony rep was there he saw both my last 2 sets, side by side in the back room and the only response from the Sony rep was that I quote "this was a known problem with the 65" sets", and no other information was given to me at that time, not even I am sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused you. He might have told the dealer something but I had my money back at this point and the new Samsung Plasma in the truck already so I could care less.

The problem like I said in my case, it was more personal to me that this product did not live up to my standards. I refuse to accept a obvious visual flaw in a set that cost more than 5K. My sets had the banding and it was very distracting, it did bother me personally. It did not help that the 60" Elite I saw in the same store did not have this problem and was 5" smaller and less money. The problem is the Elites's to me are ugly as sin. All black no trim. Just a dull designed black case. But they did not have this heavy banding in the middle of the set. This was the case with all 3 of my 65" Sony sets.

Why settle for anything less than perfect. Where does it say you need to spend 5k and have to deal with problems and not enjoy your purchase.

I rolled the dice. This is my first Plasma and I hope my experience with Samsung is a pleasant one. The E8000 plasma's are incredible and when I auditioned it in the store, it had none of the visual defects that I could see or detect in the Sony HX929 when I was in the store. But if I went into the next demo room and looked at the 65" or the 55" HX929 that was on display and looked in the same spots on those panels all the problems of my three sets could still be seen on each of those sets to a certain degree. Go figure... Yes I am fussy but this is why.

My current system as of todays date

Anthem Statement D2V with ARC
Anthem Statement P5 amplifier
Paradigm Signature S8's Version 3
Paradigm Signature C5 Version 3
Paradigm Signature ADP's surrounds
Paradigm Signature Sub25
Sony Blu-Ray BDP-5000ES
Monster Power Signature Power AVS2000
Samsung PN64E8000

Yes this is my man cave
post #13063 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 01:01 AM

IMRIZZO:

I am joining the 929 clan.

My I have your settings?

Many thanks in advance.
post #13064 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 07:21 AM

About a week ago I pre-ordered the Sony TDGBR750 Titanium 3D Active Glasses. An Amazon rep confirmed that they work with the 55HX929.

Just received an email today stating that "Your item will be shipping soon, with an estimated arrival date: April 16, 2012 - May 01, 2012."

I'll post a mini review here when they come in the mail, giving my impressions on these vs. the 250's and how both perform on the 55hx929.
post #13065 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTDC View Post

About a week ago I pre-ordered the Sony TDGBR750 Titanium 3D Active Glasses. An Amazon rep confirmed that they work with the 55HX929.

Just received an email today stating that "Your item will be shipping soon, with an estimated arrival date: April 16, 2012 - May 01, 2012."

I'll post a mini review here when they come in the mail, giving my impressions on these vs. the 250's and how both perform on the 55hx929.

I preordered too! Thanks for the tip!

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product
post #13066 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
I was a big Sony fan. Back in 2004, I spent $25,000 for their signature 1080HD projector (the Qualia 004) for my theater. I had their 2nd gen HD CRT in my den. But the 004 developed a board failure that affect many, many 004s in the field, and even though the unit was out of warranty, they charged $1100 to have it repaired. So much for being a 'signature product.' I will never ever buy another Sony product. It's sad to say, but they bet the house on the PS, to the detriment of everything else, and now the Xbox is kicking PS's azz. Buh-bye Sony. Good riddence.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #13067 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTDC View Post

Cool! I look forward to your impressions. They sure look awesome.

Datacide

post #13068 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post

I was a big Sony fan. Back in 2004, I spent $25,000 for their signature 1080HD projector (the Qualia 004) for my theater. I had their 2nd gen HD CRT in my den. But the 004 developed a board failure that affect many, many 004s in the field, and even though the unit was out of warranty, they charged $1100 to have it repaired. So much for being a 'signature product.' I will never ever buy another Sony product. It's sad to say, but they bet the house on the PS, to the detriment of everything else, and now the Xbox is kicking PS's azz. Buh-bye Sony. Good riddence.

That's an odd post. Just showed up to troll the thread for a purchase you made 8 years ago? A $1100 repair for a $25,000 piece of equipment doesn't sound the least bit unreasonable to me, though you neglect to post about your warranty coverage or the experience at all.

Also, outside of North America the PS3 is kicking ass and it does well in North America too. It generally sells more units per quarter than 360 and has more units sold per year than 360 for pretty much every year it was out. And I'll back that up with a link for last year. http://thesilentchief.com/2011/10/28...ardware-sales/ Do you have info to back up the contrary?

It is too bad you are soured on Sony, but your personal boycott of Sony doesn't add anything to this thread. It is always nice to hear people's experiences, but baseless ranting doesn't help anyone.

Datacide

post #13069 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swugly View Post

Here is a pic; it actually looks a bit worse than this.

I have posted pics before, but others claimed it was normal. If it's not, I'm gonna give Sony a call ASAP and see what can be done.

Can anyone else post pics of their No Input screen for comparison? Please???

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/IMAG0329.jpg

Why does my "no signal input" appear as a solid black screen while you have such a colored screen!?!?!?!
post #13070 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 09:28 AM

So, I just spent several fun filled nights playing Battlefield 3 PC in 3D on my 55-929.

Using an nVidia Geforce 590GTX and nVidia's 3D play software.
(http://store.nvidia.com/DRHM/store?A...ctID=206491300), I am able to play at 720p in 3D and pretty much maintain 60fps constantly, with very minor dips in to the 50s at some points. This is with ALL the graphics settings in game cranked and all video options in the nVidia control panel maxed as well (32xAA, etc)

Of course, I can bump it up to 1080p/24Hz in 3D but then I have to disable v-sync (no way I am playing at 24fps) which makes for terrible tearing on PCs hooked up to HDTVs. I look forward to the future when we can get 1080/60Hz in 3D.

I use my 929 as my only computer monitor and have been PC gaming from my couch for years with other TVs. The 929 is definitely the best display I've used for a PC and now with the 3D I'm in heaven.

Just wanted to share.

Datacide

post #13071 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I got a call from Sony Germany today. They know about the Banding Problem with the 65 and now they want to change my 65 for a third Time.....because they got some New 65 Models in stock without that banding.

The product Manager promised that now this Model is Banding Free.

They want to change the week after the next.....because next week Sony Distribution is closed for construction work.

I will see if this set is really Banding Free. If this is so, they changed something in the Production line. I keep you informed.
post #13072 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda steffen View Post

I got a call from Sony Germany today. They know about the Banding Problem with the 65 and now they want to change my 65 for a third Time.....because they got some New 65 Models in stock without that banding.

They want to change the week after the next.....because next week Sony Distribution is closed for construction work.

I will see if this set is really Banding Free. If this is so, they changed something in the Production line. I keep you informed.

That's good news, I hope it's true and they corrected it in production. Waiting for your impressions when you get it.
post #13073 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegladiator75 View Post

Why does my "no signal input" appear as a solid black screen while you have such a colored screen!?!?!?!

The bluish color "no signal" screen may come from the firmware update. I have the latest firmware in my Nov 2011 build 55HX929. This new "no signal" screen really shows off the DSE problem of my TV (especially since I turn down the backlight from MAX to 1). Please see the attached pictures for the "no signal" screen, solid grey screen, and solid white screen. For a solid white screen, there are large areas of yellow tint on the left and redish tint on the right which look worse in person than the attached screen shot. The DSE was not as bad when I got my TV back in last Nov. I tried loosening the screws at the back but this didn't help. I don't know whether calling Sony will help since they probably would say that this was "normal".
LL
LL
LL
post #13074 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 102
More problems for Sony's co. future

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/28/s...ny-cuts-off-c/

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #13075 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

More problems for Sony's co. future

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/28/s...ny-cuts-off-c/

Read that yesterday. Was not sure if sharp made my 55 screen?
post #13076 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datacide View Post

That's an odd post. Just showed up to troll the thread for a purchase you made 8 years ago? A $1100 repair for a $25,000 piece of equipment doesn't sound the least bit unreasonable to me, though you neglect to post about your warranty coverage or the experience at all.

Also, outside of North America the PS3 is kicking ass and it does well in North America too. It generally sells more units per quarter than 360 and has more units sold per year than 360 for pretty much every year it was out. And I'll back that up with a link for last year. http://thesilentchief.com/2011/10/28...ardware-sales/ Do you have info to back up the contrary?

It is too bad you are soured on Sony, but your personal boycott of Sony doesn't add anything to this thread. It is always nice to hear people's experiences, but baseless ranting doesn't help anyone.

You are right - I should not have dumped my history with Sony in this thread. I was reading it because of my issues with defective panels with another manufacturer, and I've was actually considering going with Sony as a replacement.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #13077 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Anyone know of places in Delaware that stock the 65" with a good price?

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #13078 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda steffen View Post

Hmmm, very interesting.

So is the tech support line on the store.sony.com site the best number to call to talk to someone about this? Any of you guys buzz them to see what they have to say? I'm on a tech support chat right now on the site, seems to be pretty bogus so far...lol
post #13079 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Any changes to the xbr line for 2012? is the overall consenus on the 55 929 still positive?
post #13080 of 15574 Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsxcde View Post

The bluish color "no signal" screen may come from the firmware update. I have the latest firmware in my Nov 2011 build 55HX929. This new "no signal" screen really shows off the DSE problem of my TV (especially since I turn down the backlight from MAX to 1). Please see the attached pictures for the "no signal" screen, solid grey screen, and solid white screen. For a solid white screen, there are large areas of yellow tint on the left and redish tint on the right which look worse in person than the attached screen shot. The DSE was not as bad when I got my TV back in last Nov. I tried loosening the screws at the back but this didn't help. I don't know whether calling Sony will help since they probably would say that this was "normal".

Your set looks an awful lot like mine.

See the lighter edges on your blue screen? That shows up as faded gray/orange/pink/blue/etc during normal viewing, and it's quite unacceptable.

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see what can be done; the guy near the top with the banding photos has almost a perfect uniformity compared to ours, so now I know that uniform screens do exist.

Can anyone else please post screenshots of their no input screens for reference? I really want to believe it'd be possible for me to get a screen without brighter edges!

Also, if I got my set on December 20th of last year, am I past the easy exchange period? Am I still covered?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page