Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 444 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13291 of 15574 Old 04-08-2012, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys. I need some help.

I have decided to sell my 55" for a 46." Largely in part to Rizz's photos of his soundbar/stand, I made the decision that a smaller set is more in line with my current viewing conditions (bedroom, mostly gaming).

I have sold the television already, but it's via Amazon. I'll actually lose a hundred or so in the conversion, but I've set my mind.

Two questions:

1) Any "preferred" method of shipping for large televisions? I had a tragic experience with shipping an LG 9500 in which UPS broke it to pieces; luckily, the I insured it and the buyer was extremely helpful in getting the proper evidence to my hands, etc. However, it was a long and drawn out process to be sure! Is there a reasonable way to ship for no more than $2000 (the amount I will have to pay in order to break even)?

2) Is that sound bar still available? Rizz was good enough to post a link a while back, but I'm sure it's obsolete at this point. How much do they run as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13292 of 15574 Old 04-08-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherb1 View Post

Anyone get there mount from mono price if so please tell me what one you bought I'm a little worried about that ****ing box on the back...... Don't care if it's tilting or not just need it to hang.... thanks guys looking for a cheap $20 mount

[Taken from some of my earlier posts.]
If this is any comfort to you, I also saw slight imperfections when I got my set as well, after hanging my set and positioning it, then playing my set hours at a time for breaking it in, now I cant notice any imperfection at all (Nov. Build) ''I did also remove some back screws for bracket wall hanging'' Mountplus. Stands and Mounts http://www.amazon.com/Unibrak-UNB-55.../ref=pd_cp_e_1 Wall mount 65'' Sony $99 is working fine for me.
This mount also comes with all size screws and extends 33'' from the wall and tilt as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Unibrak-UNB-55...=5336055023-20

When I first got my Set, Rizzo hooked me up with very good settings.
I did a (sharp vivid setup calibration) of my own as well, using ARC input 1.4 HDMI, that's off the chain.
Try it out, or use this as a starting point and tweak your own. Cable box Comcast M- RNG200N Any room DVR - HDMI 1.4 (19pin) into Yamaha RX867 ARC HDMI input - Sony ARC 1 input 1.4 HDMI HX 65''929.

For (VLS) Vivid lovers settings.

[Settings for a Great Vivid Picture - HX929]
( Picture Mode - Vivid) (Backlight - 8) (Picture - 78) (Brightness - 53) (Color - 33) (Hue - 0) (Color Temperature - Cool ) ( Sharpness - Max)
(Noise Reduction - Off ) ( MPEG Noise Reduction - Off ) (Dot Noise Reduction - Off ) (Reality Creation - Auto) (Resolution - Grayed out)
(Noise Filtering - Grayed Out ) Smooth Gradation - Grayed out) ( Motionflow - Standard ) ( CineMotion - Auto 1) (Advance Settings - Grayed Out)...hope this work for someone, give it a try or tweak from these settings....It's great for me.
Peace & blessings.
post #13293 of 15574 Old 04-08-2012, 01:32 PM

The build date on my third 65 is March 2012 and it still has the banding. So, if it has been fixed it must have just got taken care of. I am going to see if someone gets a April build with no banding before I return this one.
post #13294 of 15574 Old 04-08-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman56 View Post

There must be a bunch of satisfied owners of the 65 inch set. Are there any satisfied owners?

I'm a very satisfied owner . I've had the set for a week now. No banding, period. Built in February 2012, loaded with the 1/19/2012 software version (PKG3.808AAA). Sony has pushed two newer version of the software.

I purchased the set from a B&M store that had the Sony mounted on a wall right next to a Sharp elite Pro-70XS. The lighting conditions were very close to our family room(lots of in-direct day light). My wife picked the Sony over the Elite. She positioned herself in front of the Sony, but not the Elite. At the two BB stores we visited, the lighting was subdued and she liked the Elite.

I have lots of Sony equipment: Blu-Ray players, single and mega changers, DVRs(CableCard ready), a Beta recorder (in use as a SD Cable box), and PC programmable remotes.

Carl
post #13295 of 15574 Old 04-08-2012, 03:30 PM

Hmmm....so a Feb build and it's perfect and a March build and it's not....How's that happen?...lol
post #13296 of 15574 Old 04-08-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The build date on the TV only confirm build completion date, and not the date for the LED panel.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #13297 of 15574 Old 04-08-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman56 View Post

There must be a bunch of satisfied owners of the 65 inch set. I'm hoping. I am about to have mine delivered. I'm feeling very anxious. I thought the set was beautiful each time I've seen it. Are there any satisfied owners?

Yes, me The next big step up will be OLED in a few years once it settles, until then this set is as good as it can be in 2012 with LED tech.

Send PM to edtorious, he has the best settings I have tried so far - very smooth, accurate and cinema-like experience. I even tried to to make them better over the past few weeks, but I always end up getting straight back, I cant even change one single option (except backlight) - its that much spot on. Maybe white balance could be made a touch better on my specific set but we have no ISF calibrators in my country, plus his whites and skin are already really good so I dont bother. Just be prepared that the TV will get 50% smaller in a month, thats the biggest dissapointment so far
post #13298 of 15574 Old 04-08-2012, 06:29 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggmail View Post

[Taken from some of my earlier posts.]
If this is any comfort to you, I also saw slight imperfections when I got my set as well, after hanging my set and positioning it, then playing my set hours at a time for breaking it in, now I cant notice any imperfection at all (Nov. Build) ''I did also remove some back screws for bracket wall hanging'' Mountplus. Stands and Mounts http://www.amazon.com/Unibrak-UNB-55.../ref=pd_cp_e_1 Wall mount 65'' Sony $99 is working fine for me.
This mount also comes with all size screws and extends 33'' from the wall and tilt as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Unibrak-UNB-55...=5336055023-20

When I first got my Set, Rizzo hooked me up with very good settings.
I did a (sharp vivid setup calibration) of my own as well, using ARC input 1.4 HDMI, that's off the chain.
Try it out, or use this as a starting point and tweak your own. Cable box Comcast M- RNG200N Any room DVR - HDMI 1.4 (19pin) into Yamaha RX867 ARC HDMI input - Sony ARC 1 input 1.4 HDMI HX 65''929.

For (VLS) Vivid lovers settings.

( Picture Mode - Vivid) (Backlight - 8) (Picture - 78) (Brightness - 53) (Color - 33) (Hue - 0) (Color Temperature - Cool ) ( Sharpness - Max)
(Noise Reduction - Off ) ( MPEG Noise Reduction - Off ) (Dot Noise Reduction - Off ) (Reality Creation - Auto) (Resolution - Grayed out)
(Noise Filtering - Grayed Out ) Smooth Gradation - Grayed out) ( Motionflow - Standard ) ( CineMotion - Auto 1) (Advance Settings - Grayed Out)...hope this work for someone, give it a try or tweak from these settings....It's great for me.
Peace & blessings.

I wonder if the LED Dynamic Control is activated in Vivid mode even though you cannot access it?

Sony XBR-55HX929 review

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13299 of 15574 Old 04-09-2012, 12:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 584
What a drag, Panasonic hit bad times, now Sony >>>> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sony-c...044827888.html

I hope they do not do any cutback in Electronics.........All of our top name brand products are excellent in the audio/video category. Hate to see these company's not do well, any company for that matter.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #13300 of 15574 Old 04-09-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

What a drag, Panasonic hit bad times, now Sony >>>> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sony-c...044827888.html

I hope they do not do any cutback in Electronics.........All of our top name brand products are excellent in the audio/video category. Hate to see these company's not do well, any company for that matter.

Chris (IMHO) they have all, basically saturated the market, at least the markets with disposable incomes, with their products. I mean how frequently will the average consumer buy TV's, I''m not talking about consumers like us who will continually update & upgrade. And they have no MAJOR improvements to offer or entice the buying public into purchasing a new display panel. following the Electronic periodicals the next being retail item will be or is, the tablet offerings. They all want a piece of that action. 3D was not the major new 'must have' feature to generate large number of sales.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
post #13301 of 15574 Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 AM

My replacement is coming tomorrow...Let you guys know the deal then.
post #13302 of 15574 Old 04-09-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swugly View Post

Hi guys. I need some help.

I have decided to sell my 55" for a 46." Largely in part to Rizz's photos of his soundbar/stand, I made the decision that a smaller set is more in line with my current viewing conditions (bedroom, mostly gaming).

I have sold the television already, but it's via Amazon. I'll actually lose a hundred or so in the conversion, but I've set my mind.

Two questions:

1) Any "preferred" method of shipping for large televisions? I had a tragic experience with shipping an LG 9500 in which UPS broke it to pieces; luckily, the I insured it and the buyer was extremely helpful in getting the proper evidence to my hands, etc. However, it was a long and drawn out process to be sure! Is there a reasonable way to ship for no more than $2000 (the amount I will have to pay in order to break even)?

2) Is that sound bar still available? Rizz was good enough to post a link a while back, but I'm sure it's obsolete at this point. How much do they run as well?

honestly all shipping companies is a toss up as for the stand....very hard to find..sometimes you see them on ebay but they go for 200+ and they are usually from the UK so shipping is like 100+...not worth it in my option..i was able to get my stand for my 55 inch for 120..you just have to be lucky i guess
post #13303 of 15574 Old 04-09-2012, 01:08 PM

Liked: 11
Wanted to share my experience comparing HX929 to XBR5 (HX929 replaced my broken XBR5 with picture anomalies).
I got my new 55HX929, it is bigger vs. 46XBR5 I had.
It is been more than a month I have it. Spend few weeks playing with settings.
Performed side by side comparison to XBR5.

Well, disappointingly the 55HX929 is not close by brightness-crispiness, color appearance-deepness wise. I know and understand that one TV set is not equal to another, also it is nothing wrong with my unit, it performs similar to others I seen in the stores on display.

Based on what I see on the screen, reviewing black levels, leaking lights, shadows and etc, it makes me thinking that HX929 LCD panel by itself has lower contrast ratio vs. XBR5 panel (I mean not looking to those electronically artificially boosted blacks and dynamic contrast enhancements). I believe that HX929 unit has lower grade panel vs. XBR5 I had, period.

I read that Sony has switched from Samsung panel to someone else. Well that most likely could explain the lower LCD performance. The LCD panel on HX929 is a step back. I am talking here about my particular unit and not all TV sets that others might have.
post #13304 of 15574 Old 04-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordo32 View Post

Wanted to share my experience comparing HX929 to XBR5 (HX929 replaced my broken XBR5 with picture anomalies).
I got my new 55HX929, it is bigger vs. 46XBR5 I had.
It is been more than a month I have it. Spend few weeks playing with settings.
Performed side by side comparison to XBR5.

Well, disappointingly the 55HX929 is not close by brightness-crispiness, color appearance-deepness wise. I know and understand that one TV set is not equal to another, also it is nothing wrong with my unit, it performs similar to others I seen in the stores on display.

Based on what I see on the screen, reviewing black levels, leaking lights, shadows and etc, it makes me thinking that HX929 LCD panel by itself has lower contrast ratio vs. XBR5 panel (I mean not looking to those electronically artificially boosted blacks and dynamic contrast enhancements). I believe that HX929 unit has lower grade panel vs. XBR5 I had, period.

I read that Sony has switched from Samsung panel to someone else. Well that most likely could explain the lower LCD performance. The LCD panel on HX929 is a step back. I am talking here about my particular unit and not all TV sets that others might have.

Strange. I can comment on a comparison to an XBR5 but I am coming from a LN-T4681F Samsung full array set and the 929 is MUCH brighter...so much brighter that even on minimum backlight I could stand a step or two lower in brightness. Colours and sharpness are definitely superior to the Sammy as well.

My sets primary function is as a PC monitor and for gaming and I am very impressed with the detail I get.

Datacide

*Don't shop at The Brick...ever!*
post #13305 of 15574 Old 04-09-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datacide View Post

Strange. I can comment on a comparison to an XBR5 but I am coming from a LN-T4681F Samsung full array set and the 929 is MUCH brighter...so much brighter that even on minimum backlight I could stand a step or two lower in brightness. Colours and sharpness are definitely superior to the Sammy as well.

My sets primary function is as a PC monitor and for gaming and I am very impressed with the detail I get.

Ditto

post #13306 of 15574 Old 04-09-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datacide View Post

DITTO X 2 I had a 52W4100 before.
post #13307 of 15574 Old 04-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Maybe he has the Ambient Sensor on? Even with the Ambient Sensor enabled on my TV, I prefer the backlight at between 0 and 3. Granted, my TV isn't in a massively bright sun-laden room. Closer to the median of ambient brightness, I would imagine.

This TV is capable of great light output, should you desire it. For most people in most circumstances, it's probably better to have the Ambient Sensor enabled, in my opinion, despite its impact on brightness. This impact is often desirable, as most people don't have a clue how bright their TVs should be, and they usually over-estimate how bright it should be anyway.
post #13308 of 15574 Old 04-09-2012, 05:18 PM

Has the PIP been fixed with the new firmware because I have never been able to use it yet. I have my cablebox directly hooked up to the TV's HDMI 2 and my receiver to HDMI 1. Why can't I view these side-by-side or PIP?
post #13309 of 15574 Old 04-09-2012, 07:04 PM

Of course the Ambient Sensor is "taken care". I also spent some time trying to adopt IMRIZZO settings. Actualy thanks to him, sveral setting areas still remains from IMRIZZO.
And it is not only pure brightness, it is more the actual (not dinamic) contrast ratio making picture sparkiling, poping. HX929 looks like liveless.
My XBR5 was selected from several units, side by side comparing to HX929 it is really looking better. Again, it is some manufaacturing deviation exist between same model one unit LCD performance vs. other unit. It also could explain all those bloomings and whites round spots people see on the screen. The native LCD contrast ratio too low, and bright LED shines through. Just an assumption.
post #13310 of 15574 Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica2009 View Post

My replacement is coming tomorrow...Let you guys know the deal then.

Good luck with the replacement Metallica! If sony really can fix this in production it will be great. I hope soon we get news from an owner that noticed the banding in his set and got a new one without the problem.
post #13311 of 15574 Old 04-09-2012, 08:55 PM
KDH

Liked: 13
unbelivalbe some of the things i read here. banding bad contrast raito.
It seems to me lots of these comments are not genuien. So I recmond a person veiw this set and play with the settings. I would not rely on what I read here at all It just does not bare out what I see. I too own many sonys over the years samsungs as well. I have the xbr5 as well.
post #13312 of 15574 Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 PM

Not genuine? I'm not really on my third one?
post #13313 of 15574 Old 04-10-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post

I wonder if the LED Dynamic Control is activated in Vivid mode even though you cannot access it?

I'm not sure in terms of the actual standard setting of Dynamic with these settings.
As I mentioned on a earlier post that Sony has a patented picture color setting that's probably on auto Dynamic setting within the calibration
for optimal viewing to match their professional movie, video cameras and motion picture equipment.
That's why flesh tones and other purity's are usually on point with not much adjustments needed, even with much older Sony sets.

The setting I gave took weeks to set to my likings for a (Vivid Picture) I'm a ''get all I can out of this expensive well playing set that I can'', type of guy....
Fell free to try these settings or use as a starting point then tweak to your likings.
let me know how it work out for you.

This is only for (VLS) Vivid lovers settings....WARNING it may cause a constant wow that's a sharp bright picture sayings...

Peace & blessings.
post #13314 of 15574 Old 04-10-2012, 05:38 AM

Forgive me if this has been discussed. I'm fairly new to all of this. I have the XBR 55 HX929, and I just recently purchased the new TDG-BR750 glasses for the tv. When using the glasses I experience two things, when I move my head from side to side I experience a color shift in the picture which honestly doesn't bother me so much. However, I also get what I would call a constant flashing of the picture where the image goes from being shown in 3D to losing the 3D image and then going back to 3D again. Someone in the 3D forum suggested I turn off motionflow, however when I turn on the 3D function from the remote, the tv automatically will shutoff the motionflow featue. Is there another setting that I should be adjusting so this doesn't happen. Thanks for your time and help.
post #13315 of 15574 Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntIce View Post

Good luck with the replacement Metallica! If sony really can fix this in production it will be great. I hope soon we get news from an owner that noticed the banding in his set and got a new one without the problem.

Thanks burntIce....Set should be here by 2...
post #13316 of 15574 Old 04-10-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post

unbelivalbe some of the things i read here. banding bad contrast raito.
It seems to me lots of these comments are not genuien. So I recmond a person veiw this set and play with the settings. I would not rely on what I read here at all It just does not bare out what I see. I too own many sonys over the years samsungs as well. I have the xbr5 as well.

Well dude, I saw vertical bands on my 65....Called Sony...Sony said take some pics of this problem and email them to us.....I did, then they immediately contacted me and said that they would be sending me a brand new replacement set due to my problem which they thought shouldn't be there.

So, what do you think about that?....lol....If not genuine would Sony be sending out a brand new replacement?
post #13317 of 15574 Old 04-10-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadlersberg View Post

Could u post some pics with the problem please? I think my tv is having that problem. Thanks.

Here you go dude.
LL
LL
post #13318 of 15574 Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmlot93 View Post

Not genuine? I'm not really on my third one?

That's one too many. If the first one had it and the second did I would have stopped right there and got my money back.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #13319 of 15574 Old 04-10-2012, 12:21 PM

Thats exactly what my banding looks like too. It's so odd though - i don't see it all the time.
post #13320 of 15574 Old 04-10-2012, 12:37 PM

Got my HX929 65 yesterday. Hooked it up. No creasing or Banding..Enjoying it!!..Thanks to Rizzo for sharing his settings.

MAIN ROOM :Sony HX929 65, Pioneer Elite SC 77, Polk Audio RM6880 5.1 HT System.
MEDIA ROOM :
Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic AE8000, Carada 134'' screen, Polk audio : RTi12 Fronts, CSiA6 Center, FXi6 Surrounds, PSW505 12'' sub, PSW111 8'' sub, Panasonic DMP BD30, PS3 MGS4 80 GB (now 500GB) bundle

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page