Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 450 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13471 of 15567 Old 04-27-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
www.blanca.com/HT/XBR55929.pdf

Not sure if this has been posted before, but here is the service manual for the HX929.

Thank you Rob Mcdonough at Sony I can not leave this file up for very long, so grab it while you can. Send me a PM if you read this in the future.

Enjoy

RJ
...

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

Bytehoven is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13472 of 15567 Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Member
 
SteveWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

www.blanca.com/HT/XBR55929.pdf

Not sure if this has been posted before, but here is the service manual for the HX929.

Thank you Rob Mcdonough at Sony I can not leave this file up for very long, so grab it while you can. Send me a PM if you read this in the future.

Enjoy

RJ
...


Thanks. Good stuff.

2,812 hours on my panel although the total operation time is 2,729 hours. Don't quite follow that, but that averages out to 9.37 panel hours/day. I watch way too much TV - lol. I wish it went more into the service adjustments, but good information none the less.

Steve
SteveWK is offline  
post #13473 of 15567 Old 04-28-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IMRIZZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Federal Witness Relocation Program
Posts: 2,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

www.blanca.com/HT/XBR55929.pdf

Not sure if this has been posted before, but here is the service manual for the HX929.

Thank you Rob Mcdonough at Sony I can not leave this file up for very long, so grab it while you can. Send me a PM if you read this in the future.

Enjoy

RJ
...

Great info & post, Thx.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
IMRIZZO is offline  
post #13474 of 15567 Old 04-28-2012, 08:21 AM
Newbie
 
BleuM&M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Not sure if this has been posted before, but here is the service manual for the HX929.

Dang, too bad it doesn't include the 65.
BleuM&M is offline  
post #13475 of 15567 Old 04-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
chs4000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post


I think most turn that feature off, do you prefer to have it on?

Yes.
chs4000 is offline  
post #13476 of 15567 Old 04-28-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IMRIZZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Federal Witness Relocation Program
Posts: 2,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

Yes.

Why, it creates other problems with different settings? There are VERY few owners that use that feature.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
IMRIZZO is offline  
post #13477 of 15567 Old 04-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
chs4000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So back to my question, editorializing aside, how long does it take the Ambient Sensor to adjust the brightness of the set, if the ambient brightness changes instantly and completely, i.e., from complete brightness to pitch-darkness?
chs4000 is offline  
post #13478 of 15567 Old 04-28-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hughh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

So back to my question, editorializing aside, how long does it take the Ambient Sensor to adjust the brightness of the set, if the ambient brightness changes instantly and completely, i.e., from complete brightness to pitch-darkness?

I don't ever remember seeing it go from "complete brightness to pitch-darkness". Anyway, I am among those that find this control detrimental to pq.
hughh is offline  
post #13479 of 15567 Old 04-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
chs4000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not sure you comprehended my sentence correctly, hugh.

I was referring to the ambient brightness, ambient meaning room. I'm wondering how quickly the Ambient Sensor responds to changes in ambient (room) brightness.
chs4000 is offline  
post #13480 of 15567 Old 04-28-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleuM&M View Post

Dang, too bad it doesn't include the 65.

Aside from the physical differences, the 65 should share the electronics section with the smaller models as far as any calibration options are concerned.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

Bytehoven is offline  
post #13481 of 15567 Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Member
 
SteveWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

Not sure you comprehended my sentence correctly, hugh.

I was referring to the ambient brightness, ambient meaning room. I'm wondering how quickly the Ambient Sensor responds to changes in ambient (room) brightness.

There at least has to be some sort of hysteresis built in or a very long time constant filter. Imagine a dark room and a bright scene is displayed, the ambient sensor dims the display and the room light level drops which the sensor sees as a darker room and then it increases the brightness. It would just flip flop back and forth. Personally I don't use the ambient light sensor. I thought the picture looked better without it, but that is just my personal taste.

Steve
SteveWK is offline  
post #13482 of 15567 Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Member
 
mcbiidermen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this has been asked a lot, but can anyone tell me exactly what motion flow 960 is?

I see that the display is 240hz, so I am curious as to what 960 pertains to?

Thank you.
mcbiidermen is offline  
post #13483 of 15567 Old 04-29-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Steve S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 5,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbiidermen View Post

Sorry if this has been asked a lot, but can anyone tell me exactly what motion flow 960 is?

I see that the display is 240hz, so I am curious as to what 960 pertains to?

Thank you.

Backlight strobing. The lcd panel displays 240 frames a second, the backlight turns off/on 4 times for each of those frames. Supposed to help smooth motion. Film projectors in theaters display at 24fps, but the shutter in the projector opens/closes 2 or 3 times for each frame.

Steve S.
Steve S is offline  
post #13484 of 15567 Old 04-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Member
 
mcbiidermen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Backlight strobing. The lcd panel displays 240 frames a second, the backlight turns off/on 4 times for each of those frames. Supposed to help smooth motion. Film projectors in theaters display at 24fps, but the shutter in the projector opens/closes 2 or 3 times for each frame.

Thank you for that information, I have a better understanding of it now.

I recently returned a pn51e8000 Sammy plasma for a Panny 50GT50.

While I am enjoying the GT50 much more so that than e8000, I am seriously considering on returning the GT50 for a LED.

I am becoming paranoid about IR. I tend to play a lot of games with HUD's, and since owning the Plasmas I have been avoiding much gaming.

Considering a LED for a better overall experience, but I want the best 3D experience a LED can offer. Based on what I have read for reviews the 929 is a great contender.

I have noticed that the HX850 offers the 960 motionflow, just a different LED backlight - so I am curious how the 850 stands up to the 929 3D wise?
mcbiidermen is offline  
post #13485 of 15567 Old 04-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Member
 
krips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbiidermen View Post


Thank you for that information, I have a better understanding of it now.

I recently returned a pn51e8000 Sammy plasma for a Panny 50GT50.

While I am enjoying the GT50 much more so that than e8000, I am seriously considering on returning the GT50 for a LED.

I am becoming paranoid about IR. I tend to play a lot of games with HUD's, and since owning the Plasmas I have been avoiding much gaming.

Considering a LED for a better overall experience, but I want the best 3D experience a LED can offer. Based on what I have read for reviews the 929 is a great contender.

I have noticed that the HX850 offers the 960 motionflow, just a different LED backlight - so I am curious how the 850 stands up to the 929 3D wise?

Plasmas are not good for gaming. LED FTW. Once you play games on HX929, you'll be like... What was I thinking? ;-).

XBR55HX929 / AVR X4000
PS3 Slim / BDP-S6200
Roku 3 / WD TV Live /Chromecast
DT PM1000 / PC2000
DVP5000
krips is offline  
post #13486 of 15567 Old 04-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Member
 
mcbiidermen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krips View Post

Plasmas are not good for gaming. LED FTW. Once you play games on HX929, you'll be like... What was I thinking? ;-).

Ah crap, that is what I was worried about.

The 55" is quite expensive, you haven't happened to of played anything on the 850 have you? (New version of the 820) looks like it has 960 motionflow like the 929 but a different LED backlight.
mcbiidermen is offline  
post #13487 of 15567 Old 04-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Member
 
duvy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those of you that were having the buzz problem like myself. I called sonylistens and they sent a repair man out and he replaced the two power boards on the left side of the TV. Here is a picture of what he replaced. No buzzing since it was replaced, about three weeks.
LL
duvy56 is offline  
post #13488 of 15567 Old 04-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Member
 
mcbiidermen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone care to comment on how the LE835U Sharp Series compares to the Sony HX929?
mcbiidermen is offline  
post #13489 of 15567 Old 04-29-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
IMRIZZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Federal Witness Relocation Program
Posts: 2,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbiidermen View Post

Thank you for that information, I have a better understanding of it now.

I recently returned a pn51e8000 Sammy plasma for a Panny 50GT50.

While I am enjoying the GT50 much more so that than e8000, I am seriously considering on returning the GT50 for a LED.

I am becoming paranoid about IR. I tend to play a lot of games with HUD's, and since owning the Plasmas I have been avoiding much gaming.

Considering a LED for a better overall experience, but I want the best 3D experience a LED can offer. Based on what I have read for reviews the 929 is a great contender.

I have noticed that the HX850 offers the 960 motionflow, just a different LED backlight - so I am curious how the 850 stands up to the 929 3D wise?

HX850 is Edgelit not full array:
http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33379_1-573...ot-full-array/

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
IMRIZZO is offline  
post #13490 of 15567 Old 04-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Member
 
mcbiidermen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

HX850 is Edgelit not full array:
http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33379_1-573...ot-full-array/

What do you think about the Panasonic WT50 IPS LED?

Think I should wait for it or go for the 929?
mcbiidermen is offline  
post #13491 of 15567 Old 04-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Newbie
 
spentan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbiidermen View Post

What do you think about the Panasonic WT50 IPS LED?

Think I should wait for it or go for the 929?

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I am also keen on the Samsung ES8000 vs the 925 (in Australia, same model as the 929).

I've been told Full Array is much nicer than Edge Lit, I'll be coming from a Samsung Series 5 (B550) Plasma, so yeah, I'm expecting a nice upgrade
spentan is offline  
post #13492 of 15567 Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
IMRIZZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Federal Witness Relocation Program
Posts: 2,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by spentan View Post

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I am also keen on the Samsung ES8000 vs the 925 (in Australia, same model as the 929).

I've been told Full Array is much nicer than Edge Lit, I'll be coming from a Samsung Series 5 (B550) Plasma, so yeah, I'm expecting a nice upgrade

Full array is a definite jump in quality, provided your willing to spend substantially more. If image quality is your goal then LED full array is the way to go. I have not yet seen the Pana/LED line to attest to their ability & quality. 1st yr on the street & time will tell of their accomplishments or their failures.

*Sony XBR 929 & Sony XBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 FS speakers w/S10 Sub-Oppo 93-Darbee DVP5000-Harmony 1100
IMRIZZO is offline  
post #13493 of 15567 Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
HaRd2BeAr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbiidermen View Post

What do you think about the Panasonic WT50 IPS LED?

Think I should wait for it or go for the 929?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

Full array is a definite jump in quality, provided your willing to spend substantially more. If image quality is your goal then LED full array is the way to go. I have not yet seen the Pana/LED line to attest to their ability & quality. 1st yr on the street & time will tell of their accomplishments or their failures.

Based on this and what i know about IPS i would say not a good start.

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Pana...93/Review.html

Aaron
HaRd2BeAr is offline  
post #13494 of 15567 Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Member
 
unixguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbiidermen View Post

anyone care to comment on how the LE835U Sharp Series compares to the Sony HX929?

The 835 is edge-lit so it won't be as good especially on black levels.

The only comparable thing on the market at the moment is the Elite.

Sharp announced the LE945U series at CES this year for summer availability. It will have full array local dimming.
unixguru is offline  
post #13495 of 15567 Old 04-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Member
 
mcbiidermen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Based on this and what i know about IPS i would say not a good start.

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Pana...93/Review.html

Aaron

damn thats too bad, was hoping for a better performer than that.
mcbiidermen is offline  
post #13496 of 15567 Old 04-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Member
 
mcbiidermen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixguru View Post

The 835 is edge-lit so it won't be as good especially on black levels.

The only comparable thing on the market at the moment is the Elite.

Sharp announced the LE945U series at CES this year for summer availability. It will have full array local dimming.

the Elite does looks gorgeous, the price tag....not so much. Wish I could afford it.

Have to say the more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards grabbing a larger size GT50 and buy a new monitor for my computer.

If I bought a new monitor for my computer, I would just prioritize my gaming on that.
mcbiidermen is offline  
post #13497 of 15567 Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Member
 
FraG_AU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well my long journey of displays has led me to the Sony 925 (AU version of the 929). Now my old sour point is that my first set has a dead pixel - replacement should be here within days ...

I must say though that I am very impressed with this TV, I had a Samsung D7000 55" a couple years ago and I couldnt stand it because of the soap opera effect, poor panning, and generally issues which I thought were just LCD tech related...

The 925/929 certainly puts that at rest, it performs as good if not better than my 65" VT30 plasma, motion is fantastic without the plasma ghosting..

So far only dissapointment is the viewing angle but i knew that would be tha case.

Now a question to all the owners, I really want to wall mount this ASAP, I am wondering if anyone has used this type of wall mount

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-LCD-T...item231c22d15d

^^ I am thinking of using this simply for how close I can get it to the wall.. The sony one isn't so close and its stupid expensive here in Australia.

Thanks in advance!
FraG_AU is offline  
post #13498 of 15567 Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Newbie
 
BigBlue83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, just wanted to post some disappointing yet good news. J&R.com is selling the XBR46HX929 for only $1899.00. I knew I should have been patient just a little longer.
BigBlue83 is offline  
post #13499 of 15567 Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Datacide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: behind you
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbiidermen View Post

the Elite does looks gorgeous, the price tag....not so much. Wish I could afford it.

Have to say the more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards grabbing a larger size GT50 and buy a new monitor for my computer.

If I bought a new monitor for my computer, I would just prioritize my gaming on that.

I have my PC hooked up on my 55" 929...gaming is out of this world. I played Battlefield 3 in 3D and it was amazing. Just finished Rage and now playing Crysis Warhead...really just doesn't get any better in my opinion.

(sorry, I'm neither a photographer nor do I know any more about photos than point and shoot)
LL
LL

Datacide

*Don't shop at The Brick...ever!*
Datacide is offline  
post #13500 of 15567 Old 05-01-2012, 02:22 AM
Member
 
mcbiidermen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datacide View Post

I have my PC hooked up on my 55" 929...gaming is out of this world. I played Battlefield 3 in 3D and it was amazing. Just finished Rage and now playing Crysis Warhead...really just doesn't get any better in my opinion.

(sorry, I'm neither a photographer nor do I know any more about photos than point and shoot)

Those are impressive shots, making me want to still consider going with a 929. You seem to be more than happy with the quality from gaming on the 929, what are your impressions of it on Blu-ray quality and also normal viewing (TV)?

Thanks.
mcbiidermen is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off