AVS Forum banner
2M views 16K replies 1K participants last post by  Lanntis 
#1 ·
I've always wanted to start an Official thread

Near as I can find here on the forum I seem to be the first one to have pre-ordered the 65HX929. From Abt to be specific.

Please hold your flames about the distinction between pre-ordering and owning

As I posted in the 2011 Sony general discussion thread, I chose the HX929 over the Panny VT30 (the other leading contender for my 65" dollars) for a variety of reasons. I am sure, based on seeing comparable 2010 models of each set, that they will both be absolutely killer TVs. But for me, in my situation, the Sony seemed a better choice.

I will post info about shipping as it comes in from Abt. Word (rumor?) is that it's due to ship in August which is quite a ways off. I wouldn't be surprised if it ships sooner than that. Seems strange that Sony would tip its hand about pricing so soon in advance. That said, since the prices seem to be a good deal lower than expected, perhaps Sony did this to get people like me not to buy a different set

Back with more as I have it..

EDIT: here is a link to the HX92x Settings Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1340974

See less See more
#10,381 ·
Last year Television Info calibrated my Bravia 700EX to a Backlight of 10. That is the maximum! I tried it and had to use my sun glasses! Subsequent reviews of other TVs showed the same anomalies. Soon after I decided to delete television info from my favorite bookmarks ;-)

#10,382 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweflen /forum/post/21291627

I don't know if you guys are aware of this new review of the HX929:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm

Long story short, the guy "calibrates" the set to a backlight setting of 10 (!), leaves local dimming OFF because he doesn't like the feature (without offering a rationale), and then eviscerates it for "egregious" uniformity issues. Do you see any problems with this approach?

I've posted on how unfair and incomplete such a review is in the comments section. The author vigorously defends this methodology.

Why even read reviews from such obviously unqualified reviewers?

#10,383 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweflen /forum/post/21291627

I don't know if you guys are aware of this new review of the HX929:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm

Long story short, the guy "calibrates" the set to a backlight setting of 10 (!), leaves local dimming OFF because he doesn't like the feature (without offering a rationale), and then eviscerates it for "egregious" uniformity issues. Do you see any problems with this approach?

I've posted on how unfair and incomplete such a review is in the comments section. The author vigorously defends this methodology.

That dude is a moron. Not name calling, its just abundantly clear. Through the review they mention several times that its too bright and should be turned down. Flashlighting on 10? Moron.

#10,384 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh /forum/post/21291722

Last year Television Info calibrated my Bravia 700EX to a Backlight of 10. That is the maximum! I tried it and had to use my sun glasses! Subsequent reviews of other TVs showed the same anomalies. Soon after I decided to delete television info from my favorite bookmarks ;-)

I have the EX700 as well, which puts out the same level of brightness when set to 10 as the HX929. I pointed this out in my comments, that I almost always watch on minimum, and almost never need to go above 2 even in bright daylit conditions.

I think they have useful information on their site. I just think their overall methodology leaves a lot to be desired. The author states that their common practice is to set backlights to their highest level when calibrating color, so that there is a common baseline for every set they use. Hmm. Well, most other review sites try to calibrate for a certain light output in FTL, a level that would be comfortable for viewing in a regular living room. OK, so maybe that's just a difference in methods. Seems kinda dumb to calibrate for something other than actual viewing conditions, but whatever.

But to blow out a set into torch mode, rag on it for having crap uniformity, and then turn off the one thing that might make it better, just seems stupid.

#10,386 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardes3 /forum/post/21291290

so the concensus is that even though you can turn on Local dimming while playing 3d content ... it does not work the same as in 2D mode and results in clouding?

Is this because

a) its a bug and even though it shows turned on but actually is not

b) works as designed , which is not as good as in 2d mode.

I really think that most of the problem lies with how high the 3D mode pushes the backlight to compensate for the shutter glasses. The fact that you can't adjust it is strange. One standardized backlight setting can't be perfect for every viewing environment. Maybe if we make a unified effort, we can get them to add the option in a firmware update.

#10,387 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSHardson /forum/post/21291942

I really think that most of the problem lies with how high the 3D mode pushes the backlight to compensate for the shutter glasses. The fact that you can't adjust it is strange. One standardized backlight setting can't be perfect for every viewing environment. Maybe if we make a unified effort, we can get them to add the option in a firmware update.

Do try to set 3D-glasses brightness to low in the 3D-menu.

#10,388 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrogalla /forum/post/21291474

My wife won't allow me ? to run cables across the floor and I can't run it

behind the walls so this is my only option and a good one for $100 as I

already had the computer.

I used to have that problem, till my wife said it's me or all this TV stereo stuff (her description)....so a month later I ordered my new speakers, didn't have to ask her if it was OK? Or disclose the $$$ cost, do you like them? only to hear the usually BS answer ....they sound the same to me!

Updated my AVR bought an XBR8 and life has been good since then. and then bought my XBR929 it's great.

#10,391 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSHardson /forum/post/0

I'll give it a shot. Forgot that option existed.

it helps but does irradiate the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO /forum/post/0

Has anyone tried using the HomeTheaterMagazine review settings for 3D They are supposedly very good here is link:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...-hdtv-settings

I have tried them and got the same results. Local dimming seems to work differently in 3d.

An easy way to test this is to put a black image on the screen and view in darkness in 2d and 3d. In 2d the screen goes totally black and in 3d it lights up slightly showing clouds.

#10,392 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO /forum/post/21292171

I used to have that problem, till my wife said it's me or all this TV stereo stuff (her description)....so a month later I ordered my new speakers, didn't have to ask her if it was OK? Or disclose the $$$ cost, do you like them? only to hear the usually BS answer ....they sound the same to me!

Updated my AVR bought an XBR8 and life has been good since then. and then bought my XBR929 it's great.

Thats how it should be. Too many of us take too long to make this move.

#10,393 ·
Those of you experiencing 3d cross talk or color shift while using the 3D glasses, give sony a call and have them send you polarize kit for the glasses (free of charge). They address both the problems.

Just received my 5 pairs.

Edit:

Sony KB Article (C1017777)

"Sony does offer a pair of optional polarizer filters that can be fitted or inserted over the existing lenses in the Sony 3D glasses. These are provided free of charge. They will reduce the double image noticed with the head tilt. However, they will make the picture slightly darker and some home lightning could appear to flicker when viewed through the glasses. These filters are non-permanent and are easy to install and remove. To order a pair, call the Sony Customer Information Service Center at (239) 768-7547 "

#10,394 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardes3 /forum/post/21292247

Those of you experiencing 3d cross talk or color shift while using the 3D glasses, give sony a call and have them send you polarize kit for the glasses (free of charge). They address both the problems.

Just received my 5 pairs.

Thanks for the heads up !

#10,395 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Time /forum/post/21292231

it helps but does irradiate the issue.

I have tried them and got the same results. Local dimming seems to work differently in 3d.

An easy way to test this is to put a black image on the screen and view in darkness in 2d and 3d. In 2d the screen goes totally black and in 3d it lights up slightly showing clouds.

Isn't there a SONY LISTENS thing on facebook or twitter where you can post your inquiries and usually get a response within in a few days. They are usually responsive because of the national exposure they exposed them selves to. They don't want to create bad word of mouth on such a large media-site

http://twitter.com/#!/Sonylistens

#10,396 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalart /forum/post/21285839

Digitalart posted the above photo of an HX929 (55" ?) shipping box.

It appears to be a one-piece box that was opened at the top

to remove the TV ...correct? If so, how was the top originally

sealed from the factory?

In the photo, there doesn't appear to be any tape ...correct?

Would it be easy to tell whether the box was "factory fresh"

and previously unopened?

Jonesin' for my new (unsullied!) toy.

#10,397 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon_kowalski /forum/post/21292387

Digitalart posted the above photo of an HX929 (55" ?) shipping box.

It appears to be a one-piece box that was opened at the top

to remove the TV ...correct? If so, how was the top originally

sealed from the factory?

In the photo, there doesn't appear to be any tape ...correct?

Would it be easy to tell whether the box was "factory fresh"

and previously unopened?

Jonesin' for my new (unsullied!) toy.

Leon,

The indentations at the bottom of the box are for assisting people into handling the box. That is made of plastic and you just "punch in"...all of those plastic "handles. Then the cover can be easily lifted to reveal the TV sitting on the bottom, nicely covered and protected with styrofoam.

DO NOT try to remove the TV from the top!

#10,398 ·
Thanks for the clarification, hughh.

But the main question still stands: Is it possible to tell whether

the box is "factory fresh" and previously unopened?

#10,400 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon_kowalski /forum/post/21292466

Thanks for the clarification, hughh.

But the main question still stands: Is it possible to tell whether

the box is "factory fresh" and previously unopened?

I can only give you an opinion. However, we have a respected member by the name of Steve S who sells TV as a profession. I am sure if you contact him, he will be able to tell you for certain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.