Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 523 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #15661 of 15696 Old 12-20-2016, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcruiser View Post
So I called Sony again and this time they sent out a file that said if I had update on that the TV would automatically update thru "the broadcast signal" while in standby mode and this could take 24-36 hrs. I'm connected to a directv wireless box that connects to the main unit upstairs. It goes into sleep mode on it's own. Is Sony saying it will update thru directv? Doesn't seem possible and this did not happen in the last 24 hrs of being connected. I connected a wired connection to the internet and can get to the web thru the TV. I can even get to the Sony site but can't really force it to update that way. Yet it doesn't want to update thru that connection and even fails to update content thru the internet when I ask it do that. Wireless fails to connect and says to call Sony...yeah sure.

Today I tried to connect a USB hard drive to the TV with the unzipped update on it. It always says it that a USB device was connected but then doesn't appear to do anything like updating with the new bin file.

I'm thinking that the jump from PKG3.90 to PXG4.027 is just too much. I also think they might have changed the location of the update files from when they first released this TV so that's why it's not finding them an it's not smart enough to search. This is probably going to be my very last Sony product. It's just way too frustrating and support is pretty weak. How many times do I have to contact them to resolve this?

Did you follow the instructions in the following website...

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-d...os_group_id=18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

post #15662 of 15696 Old 01-04-2017, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My NAD receiver was in the shop for a couple months and ARC worked fine before I took it in. Arc is no longer working now, I thought I got it going first time I tested. But no luck since. I even did a factory reset. If I select an analog input, it just stays with the tv speakers. If I try to select AUdio System, it mutes for a few seconds and then says audio system is not available. When it worked, it would automatically send audio to the receiver and it would play. The receiver switched to the arc sound.

I I look at the device list, it has 2 entries
Player 1 -hdmi 1 - Connected - Bdp 103(Oppo)
Audio system -hdmi 1 - - Bdp 103

Note it doesn't say connected.

Other cec functions work, if I turn on the bluray player, it turns on the receiver , switches input on the receiver and turns the tv on.
If I turn off the tv, it also turns off the receiver.

Used to be if I turned on the tv, it would then turn on the rreceiver also.

Tried a couple hdmi cables but no luck.

Any ideas???

Phil Tomaskovic
post #15663 of 15696 Old 01-06-2017, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Check NAD settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post
My NAD receiver was in the shop for a couple months and ARC worked fine before I took it in. Arc is no longer working now, I thought I got it going first time I tested. But no luck since. I even did a factory reset. If I select an analog input, it just stays with the tv speakers. If I try to select AUdio System, it mutes for a few seconds and then says audio system is not available. When it worked, it would automatically send audio to the receiver and it would play. The receiver switched to the arc sound.

Other cec functions work, if I turn on the bluray player, it turns on the receiver , switches input on the receiver and turns the tv on.

Any ideas???
Have you looked through the setting in the Nad to see if something is not set properly? My hX929 has always been a little fussy about the same activity you are trying. On my Pioneer Elite I have to mess with the Control menu which is partly for cec functions and always seems when set wrong it reverts to tv speakers after about 20 seconds saying audio system not available. I have about 4 settings in that Control menu and have to have then set just right or it doesn't work. Sometimes I turn them all off and listen to the tv speakers for a minute, then go back to the receiver and try various combos in that menu. Due to the flakiness on my setup I think it is a hdcp hand shake issue.

Good luck!

post #15664 of 15696 Old 01-06-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarche View Post
Have you looked through the setting in the Nad to see if something is not set properly? My hX929 has always been a little fussy about the same activity you are trying. On my Pioneer Elite I have to mess with the Control menu which is partly for cec functions and always seems when set wrong it reverts to tv speakers after about 20 seconds saying audio system not available. I have about 4 settings in that Control menu and have to have then set just right or it doesn't work. Sometimes I turn them all off and listen to the tv speakers for a minute, then go back to the receiver and try various combos in that menu. Due to the flakiness on my setup I think it is a hdcp hand shake issue.

Good luck!
Thanks will try disabling cec and arc for awhile llke suggested. I have them set right but like you say prob handshake issue. I'm thinkng receiver is on higher hdmi version than tv and also adds to the issue v

Phil Tomaskovic
post #15665 of 15696 Old 01-06-2017, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Any ideas???
ARC doesn't work on all outputs (if there's more than one) and it generally only works on the TV input. For example, on my Pioneer receiver, there's an HDMI cable between the main output and the ARC input of the TV. When the receiver is turned to TV, it picks up the audio from the TV through that same output cable.

HDMI control is separate from ARC and there are settings on both the TV and the receiver to turn it on. I suspect you have them turned off. You will also have to experiment with which devices should have it on and which devices you want it off because sometimes you can get stuck in a loop that you don't want. For example, I want the TV to turn on the receiver, but if I shut off the receiver, I don't want it to turn off the TV because that means I intend to watch the TV with just the TV speakers, which I sometimes do late at night. I would first turn it on on the TV and see what happens. If that doesn't trigger the receiver, then turn on HDMI control on the receiver as well.
post #15666 of 15696 Old 01-06-2017, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
ARC doesn't work on all outputs (if there's more than one) and it generally only works on the TV input. For example, on my Pioneer receiver, there's an HDMI cable between the main output and the ARC input of the TV. When the receiver is turned to TV, it picks up the audio from the TV through that same output cable.

HDMI control is separate from ARC and there are settings on both the TV and the receiver to turn it on. I suspect you have them turned off. You will also have to experiment with which devices should have it on and which devices you want it off because sometimes you can get stuck in a loop that you don't want. For example, I want the TV to turn on the receiver, but if I shut off the receiver, I don't want it to turn off the TV because that means I intend to watch the TV with just the TV speakers, which I sometimes do late at night. I would first turn it on on the TV and see what happens. If that doesn't trigger the receiver, then turn on HDMI control on the receiver as well.
Thanks, got all that. Everything's the same as when it was working before the repair to my knowledge. As one person posted, there's some handshake that's being missed and some order has to be followed for it to work. I am up on the settings. The biggest thing I used it for when it worked was with twin view. On one window, I used the arc input to my receiver which selected a TiVo, the second window had as its input the component video which was connected to a TiVo mini. You have to use a hdmi and an analog as the 2 inputs used.

ARC on my receiver works nice. When it senses arc coming in, it automatically overrides the audio input and plays it. So if the hdmi window was selected it played as normal, if I selected the component video window, arc is triggered and the receiver would play it. Very nice seemless action to select which window I wanted to hear. Vs muting the receiver and hearing the tv speakers. That's how it was working and now it won't.

CEC is workng, if everything's is off and I power up my Oppo bluray, the receiver turns on, switches its input, then the tv turns on. So it's only Arc failing since the Sony either isn't triggering the arc or it's not seeing a handshake.

There is no arc setting at all in the tv. Only hdmi control.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #15667 of 15696 Old 01-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 27
just wondering if your NAD has a standby mode? you noted it turned off when the tv was turned off.
post #15668 of 15696 Old 01-09-2017, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post
just wondering if your NAD has a standby mode? you noted it turned off when the tv was turned off.
It has an option call standby cec/ethernet which I assume means these work when in standby mode. Ethernet so I can use the iPad remote app to turn it.

Yes, receiver turns off if tv turns off. There's option in Sony that says power down cec devices with tv. So that's what it did. I disabled it and receiver stays on.

So almost all cec works. Like I said, used to be turning on tv would also turn on receiver. Which if I remember right, I had to turn off the tv first when it was connected to the receiver. If I turned the receiver off first and the tv switched to internal speakers and then iturned off, then the next power on would use internal speakers. So it remembered what it was last using.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #15669 of 15696 Old 01-10-2017, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very strange, arc is working again and turning on the tv triggers the receiver to turn on😃 But I have no idea what fixed it? I moved the Oppo from hdmi input 3 to 2 on the receiver just to get it on a different port and I reset the Apple TV hdmi cable. Now it does say NAD 787 on the audio system line when I check the device list under hdmi settings on the tv.

Just very picky. I remember a few years ago, cec stopped working and I unplugged an old Panasonic DVD recorder from an hdmi input on the tv and things started working again. I hadn't changed anything back then either.

Oh well, I'm happy again😊 Who knows when I will upgrade to 4k and or atmos. Unless something breaks on me😱 Sony has p***'ed me off for dropping 3d from their 2017 sets.

Thanks for listening and offering help.

Phil Tomaskovic

Last edited by Phil Tomaskovic; 01-11-2017 at 12:04 AM.
post #15670 of 15696 Old 01-16-2017, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 64
in this day and age of nice looking tvs. 1080p and 4k. I found a used 46hx929 for 250. a bit scratched up on the bottom left corner but overall looks good and has a nice picture. no remote. is it worth buying knowing a samsung 4k can be had for 290 at costco even though i know samsung is horrendous on many levels from what i read. i'm looking for an older 1080p set for with a great pic quality.

Pioneer Elite SC-05
JBL Studio speakers
Power Sound Audio V1800, 2 MFW-15's, DIY ported UM18-22, SVS PB10-NSD
Oppo BDP-103
BenQ W7500 & Silverticket 110" matte white 16:9
Benq HT2050 2nd system-pvc foam board screen
post #15671 of 15696 Old 01-16-2017, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormInfested View Post
in this day and age of nice looking tvs. 1080p and 4k. I found a used 46hx929 for 250. a bit scratched up on the bottom left corner but overall looks good and has a nice picture. no remote. is it worth buying knowing a samsung 4k can be had for 290 at costco even though i know samsung is horrendous on many levels from what i read. i'm looking for an older 1080p set for with a great pic quality.
Hopefully, you can find a remote so you can get into any settings if needed for picture tunng, twin view and other features. Not sure if you can program a unversal? Maybe harmony remote would have all the options in its database. My TiVo remote does power, volume, channel no problem, I think ypu might get into the settings menu from the buttons on the set.

If you need any info from the manual let me know,

I was kind of wondering what my 55 would be worth if I was to upgrade. But not sure it's worth it. This was the best set of the time with local dimming and I think it's great. I hate that the new 2917 sets have no twin view or 3d.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #15672 of 15696 Old 01-17-2017, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
That's a no-brainer provided that you check the set out carefully to insure that it has no defects that you can't live with.

At 46", 4K won't make a discernible viewing difference, but the superior video processor and full-array local dimming (FALD) of the HX929 will certainly outperform anything else you can find in a 46" LED TV.

Even assuming that you shell out another $25 or so for a remote on the secondary market (here's a brand-new one for sale), you're getting a steal of a deal assuming the TV is in good shape.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D UHD LCD TV w/FALD; Oppo UDP-203; Sony BDP-S5200 (multi-region); Denon AVR-X5200W (Video: Dolby Atmos/DSU 7.1.4; Music: DTS Neo:X 11.1); Dayton Audio MA1260 12-Channel Amplifier (60wpc); Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW), OWM5 (Sr, SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, TR); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #15673 of 15696 Old 01-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think sony has a app for using your phone/tablet as the remote.
PS the manual is basically in the TV but you can DL it from the sony support web site.
post #15674 of 15696 Old 01-20-2017, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't see any app provided by Sony for this tv. I see some third party apps, but unclear if they work with this set. I wouldn't pay for one unless you can trial fir free first.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #15675 of 15696 Old 01-20-2017, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
That's a no-brainer provided that you check the set out carefully to insure that it has no defects that you can't live with.

At 46", 4K won't make a discernible viewing difference, but the superior video processor and full-array local dimming (FALD) of the HX929 will certainly outperform anything else you can find in a 46" LED TV.

Even assuming that you shell out another $25 or so for a remote on the secondary market (here's a brand-new one for sale), you're getting a steal of a deal assuming the TV is in good shape.
Quote:
I think sony has a app for using your phone/tablet as the remote.
PS the manual is basically in the TV but you can DL it from the sony support web site.
one question on the netflix portion.... how is it that you can output surround sound (if netflix does this on the sony) to a receiver? i always wonder that with smart tvs. is there an hdmi out or is it just some older style optical toslink cable?

remote does come with the tv after i reread the ad.

i might go check it out tomorrow if i can. 250 obo. hell of a deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony bravia.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1909481  

Pioneer Elite SC-05
JBL Studio speakers
Power Sound Audio V1800, 2 MFW-15's, DIY ported UM18-22, SVS PB10-NSD
Oppo BDP-103
BenQ W7500 & Silverticket 110" matte white 16:9
Benq HT2050 2nd system-pvc foam board screen
post #15676 of 15696 Old 01-20-2017, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
one question on the netflix portion.... how is it that you can output surround sound (if netflix does this on the sony) to a receiver? i always wonder that with smart tvs. is there an hdmi out or is it just some older style optical toslink cable?

You could use the optical cable, but never tried it on mine to see if it will pass 5.1, I don't use any apps on the tv. If your receiver supports ARC, then that should work but the Sony can be flaky working with other components. Make sure you have HDMI controls enabled in the Sony and check the device list in that menu to see if your receiver shows up as an "Audio system".

Phil Tomaskovic
post #15677 of 15696 Old 01-23-2017, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't see any app provided by Sony for this tv. I see some third party apps, but unclear if they work with this set. I wouldn't pay for one unless you can trial fir free first.
http://www.sony.com/electronics/video-tv-sideview
post #15678 of 15696 Old 01-23-2017, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

as for the output if you set up your ARV with HDMI cable if your AVR can accept ARC audio return cable.
yout TV has it on HDMI #1 should say ARC on it, but you need it on your AVR so be sure it too is connected to
the ARC HDMI. you have to be sure you have a HDMI cable capable of sending the audio. you can input back to the
AVR by setting your TV audio to external speakers.
I think your HDMI cable needs to be 1.2 (maybe) or 1.3 1.4 with ethernet.
post #15679 of 15696 Old 01-23-2017, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. Tried it out and it works fine, but I'm happy just using my TiVo remote for powering on the set. TiVo also handles volume for my receiver. About the only time I use the Sony remote is if I'm doing twin view.

I was looking for the app in case the one guy buying a used set didn't get a remote with it.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #15680 of 15696 Old 01-23-2017, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You could use the optical cable, but never tried it on mine to see if it will pass 5.1, I don't use any apps on the tv. If your receiver supports ARC, then that should work but the Sony can be flaky working with other components. Make sure you have HDMI controls enabled in the Sony and check the device list in that menu to see if your receiver shows up as an "Audio system".
I did just verify that I got 5.1 over ARC watching a show on the Amazon app.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #15681 of 15696 Old 02-23-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've just purchased a new XBR-65Z9D and must part with my much beloved XBR-55HX929.

I've posted the ad in the AVSForum classifieds section if anyone is interested (or knows of someone who is).

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D UHD LCD TV w/FALD; Oppo UDP-203; Sony BDP-S5200 (multi-region); Denon AVR-X5200W (Video: Dolby Atmos/DSU 7.1.4; Music: DTS Neo:X 11.1); Dayton Audio MA1260 12-Channel Amplifier (60wpc); Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW), OWM5 (Sr, SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, TR); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #15682 of 15696 Old 02-28-2017, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've just purchased a new XBR-65Z9D and must part with my much beloved XBR-55HX929.

I've posted the ad in the AVSForum classifieds section if anyone is interested (or knows of someone who is).
do you see that much of a difference other than size?
post #15683 of 15696 Old 03-01-2017, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My Z9D is still en route with an expected delivery date of March 7, so I can't make any empirical comparisons between the two sets.

But it is difficult for me to believe that there is much room for observable PQ improvement over my current HX929 (particularly combined with the Darblet) on an HD signal.

My principal motivation to splurge on the Z9D, in addition to the increased screen size, was to be able to take advantage of UHD video on a SOTA LCD. Otherwise, I would say that it is probably more of a lateral move, from flagship to flagship, but updated in technology by four years.

For the past month I have been playing UHD Blu-rays on my Oppo UDP-203 downrezzed to 2K, and the picture is still glorious. But adding HDR and WCG should result in a quantifiably better image aside from the bigger screen and higher pixel count.

post #15684 of 15696 Old 03-08-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
My Z9D is still en route with an expected delivery date of March 7, so I can't make any empirical comparisons between the two sets.

But it is difficult for me to believe that there is much room for observable PQ improvement over my current HX929 (particularly combined with the Darblet) on an HD signal.

My principal motivation to splurge on the Z9D, in addition to the increased screen size, was to be able to take advantage of UHD video on a SOTA LCD. Otherwise, I would say that it is probably more of a lateral move, from flagship to flagship, but updated in technology by four years.

For the past month I have been playing UHD Blu-rays on my Oppo UDP-203 downrezzed to 2K, and the picture is still glorious. But adding HDR and WCG should result in a quantifiably better image aside from the bigger screen and higher pixel count.
I've had a few days now to play around with my new 65Z9D. No question, it is a glorious set and fulfills all my expectations.

As far as PQ is concerned (and aside from the larger screen real estate) its major benefit is the ability to produce a 4K/UHD picture. The 55HX929 holds its own IMO with HD video; of course, the Z9D also benefits from the updated OS, apps, processor, and a host of other refinements--as is to be expected from the newest flagship compared to one from four years ago.

BTW, I've decided to keep my HX929, moving it into the master bedroom in place of a 46HX729, which I will try to sell. I did not think I could make it fit but managed to just squeeze it in on the available wall space. It didn't hurt that the VESA hole pitch is the same for both models (300mm x 300mm) and so it was easy to swap out the sets on my Sanus VM400 wall mount.

Below is the same HD image portrayed first on the Z9D (default settings) and then on the HX929 (custom settings):

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010467.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	2014241   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010469.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	2014249  

post #15685 of 15696 Old 03-08-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

SOTA LCD? WCG?
I just got the Oppo 203 also and still have my 929? Wish I could fit it in my bedroom if/when I upgrade
Did you consider any other sets besides the Z9D? I've been tempted by the LG oled E6 65"

Phil Tomaskovic
post #15686 of 15696 Old 03-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

looks like a view through a window......
post #15687 of 15696 Old 03-08-2017, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
looks like a view through a window......
And that's merely an HD image (via a ****ty camera). The UHD imagery is beyond words. Really, just breathtaking!

post #15688 of 15696 Old 03-08-2017, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
SOTA LCD? WCG?
SOTA = State-of-the-art
WCG = Wide Color Gamut

Quote:
I just got the Oppo 203 also and still have my 929? Wish I could fit it in my bedroom if/when I upgrade
Did you consider any other sets besides the Z9D? I've been tempted by the LG oled E6 65"
I have been focused like a laser on the Z9D ever since it was first rumored over a year ago. The only thing that caused me to hesitate was the price. I think it has been grossly overpriced at $6,000 (since lowered to $5,500). I told myself that I would wait until I could buy it new from an authorized retailer for under $4K. And that I did! So far, the set I got appears to be perfect in every way.

post #15689 of 15696 Old 03-08-2017, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
SOTA = State-of-the-art
WCG = Wide Color Gamut

I have been focused like a laser on the Z9D ever since it was first rumored over a year ago. The only thing that caused me to hesitate was the price. I think it has been grossly overpriced at $6,000 (since lowered to $5,500). I told myself that I would wait until I could buy it new from an authorized retailer for under $4K. And that I did! So far, the set I got appears to be perfect in every way.
Can you share where you got it for that price? PM if you don't want to post it everywhere.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #15690 of 15696 Old 03-08-2017, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can you share where you got it for that price? PM if you don't want to post it everywhere.
It was on a one-day (Presidents Day) sale at the on-line Military Exchange. They had 15% off the already steeply discounted sales price.

(Twenty years of my life in the service of my country and all I got for it was a great deal on a fabulous TV.) j/k!

IMHO $3,500 would be a reasonable price for this set, and I am confident that it will eventually sell for that at some of the other retailers if you have the patience to wait long enough. Once a successor model is in production the prices are sure to come down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv , Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page