Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tyrindor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer_03 View Post

The 55HX929 is now in stock at sonystyle.ca for any Canadians who post here

Jeeze, $3999. Is that the Canadian MSRP?

They'll probably be 1 grand less than that in a month.
Tyrindor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Member
 
milk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post

I had a d8000 and returned it. Edges were brighter than the middle. 1/3rd on left and right brighter than the middle third. For the price that was unacceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post

I replaced it, hoping the first one was a "bad one", the next one was exactly the same. It is a very nice TV, and for the average viewer, they will love it, but for more discerning types like many of us who look for the problems (what a curse!), the brighter sides were very clearly visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post

I am getting a refund for my Samsung D8000 and waiting for this TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

I'm looking forward to HX929 now because my 55D8000 is a banding mess.

Well, this doesn't bid too well for the Sammy. On the up side, should be plenty of open-box discounts for non-audio/video-obsessives.

As kmp says, I too think the Sammy is going to be a blinding success among the average higher-end buyer who falls in love with the ultra thin bezel design and excellent picture quality.
milk is offline  
Old 04-18-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gagit811's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder if anyone here seen this review http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1298537003
just because there is so much d8000 bashing here I'll post this too.http://fullhd.gr/2008-03-14-21-37-34...x8-review.html
gagit811 is offline  
Old 04-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
MaXPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
and what's your point?

the fact that the d8000 is horrible doesnt change.
MaXPL is offline  
Old 04-18-2011, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gagit811's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL View Post

and what's your point?

the fact that the d8000 is horrible doesnt change.

point is this isn't the d8000 thread and those post seem out of place. Just thought I'd add my own out of place post.
But really I have a d8000, I'm looking into getting a 929, or even the lg nano tv. Not replacing or returning my d8000 I don't have many complaints on the set. I was looking into info on the sony cause I'm going to buy anther tv this year just because I can.
gagit811 is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 12:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,464
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 688
I really don't want to keep up this detour, but just because some people don't see the problems with the D8000 doesn't mean they aren't there. This applies to every product, of course, but I think it's pretty likely there are some flaws common to nearly all D8000s. And that for some of us, those flaws are pretty severe.

As always, YMMV, and the flaws of unreleased Sonys are currently unknown.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Member
 
ForzaItalia8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The manager at my local "Sony Style" said the XBR929 won't be coming out until August.
ForzaItalia8 is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
akadennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia8 View Post
The manager at my local "Sony Style" said the XBR929 won't be coming out until August.
I hope this is not true. Best buy has it coming soon, August is hardly soon. I'm selling my Plasma because if floating blacks and will probably buy this one
akadennis is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Member
 
ForzaItalia8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
I hope this is not true. Best buy has it coming soon, August is hardly soon. I'm selling my Plasma because if floating blacks and will probably buy this one
I hope it's wrong too. He seemed adamant though.
ForzaItalia8 is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil Tomaskovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Warrenville, Il
Posts: 1,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
maybe he was just thinking about the 65"?

Phil Tomaskovic
Phil Tomaskovic is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Member
 
ForzaItalia8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post
maybe he was just thinking about the 65"?
No, he meant all 929s. Says he got that info today and when I pointed out it's so late to release the flagship model for August he agreed but didn't say much other than they like to get the lower models out first.

I'm hoping he's wrong.
ForzaItalia8 is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Member
 
RON82ND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry to bring bad news but I heard from Nick at ABT they are now showing September for the 65".
RON82ND is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
MaXPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Considering Bestbuy already had delivery dates listed for the 929's, I'd say that manager is misinformed.

Additionally, ABT has stated late April/Early May for quite some time now.
MaXPL is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
akadennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL View Post

Considering Bestbuy already had delivery dates listed for the 929's, I'd say that manager is misinformed.

Additionally, ABT has stated late April/Early May for quite some time now.

When ordered through Sonystyle Model Number: XBR-55HX929
Available on or about 04/24/2011. We will email you when product ships.
akadennis is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
akadennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sony Ships 37 New Models of 2011 Bravias
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...1_Bravias/6744
akadennis is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,464
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 688
It's certainly true the 65" has never been due before August.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Member
 
ForzaItalia8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post

Sony Ships 37 New Models of 2011 Bravias
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...1_Bravias/6744

Awesome news. Never seems to amaze me how clueless some sales people are...lol.
ForzaItalia8 is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
MaXPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
yeh but look at their source. some no name website called twice.com

regardless, i hope theyre right.
MaXPL is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 11:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,464
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Twice.com is the website of TWICE, This Week in Consumer Electronics, a 20+ year old industry trade publication that is more or less the bible of the CE retailing industry.

Since it appears you were not being sarcastic, I will note that you are unlikely to find many sources more reliable than TWICE.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 05:46 AM
Senior Member
 
ahwig60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fairfax co. Northern virginia
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Twice.com is the website of TWICE, This Week in Consumer Electronics, a 20+ year old industry trade publication that is more or less the bible of the CE retailing industry.

Since it appears you were not being sarcastic, I will note that you are unlikely to find many sources more reliable than TWICE.

thanks for the infor on that magazine. iam learning something new everyday on this site.
ahwig60 is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
MaXPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Twice.com is the website of TWICE, This Week in Consumer Electronics, a 20+ year old industry trade publication that is more or less the bible of the CE retailing industry.

Since it appears you were not being sarcastic, I will note that you are unlikely to find many sources more reliable than TWICE.

Oooooops.

But yeh I would never be able to tell since their website looks straight out of the 80's.
MaXPL is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JamE55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Should find out from our Sony rep today. Will keep everyone posted.
JamE55 is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
tomboyter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Columbus, Georgia
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Rogo,

I remember from five or six years ago how helpful you were to me in finding my last TV...I enjoy your calm, well reasoned responses and I am delighted to find that you are still active here, now that I am researching its replacement. You are among just a handful of contrubutors that have "the cred" and I look forward to your insights on this years offerings from Samsung, Sony and Sharp. I'll be paying attention, and Thanks for your efforts.
tomboyter is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil Tomaskovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Warrenville, Il
Posts: 1,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My Abt salesman told me this today when I emailed him: As of Monday they got pushed back till mid-end of may.

The 65" is august.

Phil Tomaskovic
Phil Tomaskovic is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 5,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Abt has only ever shown an early-Sept eta on the 65. I know because I was literally the first person to pre-order it from them.

I spoke with them just a couple days ago to see if they had any further word and they confirmed still on track for September.

They are one of the longest running authorized Sony dealers in the country...possible THE longest running. In the grand scheme of things I believe them over just about any other word from just about any other source.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JamE55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Availability is around September/October timeframe.

And for those who are not wanting to pay the introductory price you'll probably have to wait around May/June before the price starts to drop.
JamE55 is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,464
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboyter View Post

Rogo,

I remember from five or six years ago how helpful you were to me in finding my last TV...I enjoy your calm, well reasoned responses and I am delighted to find that you are still active here, now that I am researching its replacement. You are among just a handful of contrubutors that have "the cred" and I look forward to your insights on this years offerings from Samsung, Sony and Sharp. I'll be paying attention, and Thanks for your efforts.

Thank you. (I too am contemplating my next television purchase.)

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Member
 
mrtrance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Availability is around September/October timeframe.

And for those who are not wanting to pay the introductory price you'll probably have to wait around May/June before the price starts to drop.

Well that's not good that the 65" is due in September. I wonder if the Samsung 65" D80000 will be out in May/June time frame.
mrtrance is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JamE55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtrance View Post

Well that's not good that the 65" is due in September. I wonder if the Samsung 65" D80000 will be out in May/June time frame.

It'll be available in early to maybe mid June.
JamE55 is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Member
 
RON82ND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Right now ABT is saying late July for the 65D8000.
RON82ND is offline  
 

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv , Displays
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off