post #181 of 193 Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

The whole picture which is emerging is that in the D8000vsHx929 shootout there is a tradeoff of artefacts: intermittent banding vs blooming at angle. Also, 3D seems to better in the D8000.

Not clear to me that a reasonably calibrated HX929 necessarily has to have blooming at angle. Is clear to me that barring a miracle of panel Lotto, all the D8000s have uniformity issues that cannot be calibrated away (although some of you don't seem to mind those issues, the same can be said of off-axis blooming).

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 193 Old 05-27-2011, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Not clear to me that a reasonably calibrated HX929 necessarily has to have blooming at angle. Is clear to me that barring a miracle of panel Lotto, all the D8000s have uniformity issues that cannot be calibrated away (although some of you don't seem to mind those issues, the same can be said of off-axis blooming).

There will be soon Chad B review in the HX929 thread and this should provide clues to what extent there is blooming present in an ultimately calibrated set.

Samsung indeed plays russian roulette with the D8000 though for standard consumers things seem to be right.

My guess is that the D8000 problems stem from manufacturing precision. Speculative implication from this is that the 65" and 75" sets will not have these problems or very minimized, as these sets will be made (in Korea?) with more precision and tighter QC. Plus improvements based on the sets returned. Yeah, I am always on the optimistic side .

irkuck
post #183 of 193 Old 06-17-2011, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
any new updates or reviews? I am looking at both of these sets, but I am unsure which way to go. Thanks
post #184 of 193 Old 07-03-2011, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just sent a D7000 back to the store. I got an HX929 instead. It's a beauty! I cannot talk about the PQ of the d8000 but the Sony is amazing. I could not stand the gray clouds that appeared all over the screen on the d7000 every time there was white text over a solid black background. With the Sony this does not happen.

The thin bezel of the Samsung looks cool but when watched closely the clear plastic on the edges looks kind of cheap. The sony looks high quality materials and build top to bottom. It's a piece of art.
post #185 of 193 Old 07-03-2011, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I threw caution to the wind and ordered the 55hx929 from amazon. should be here on tuesday. I am excited to say the least!
post #186 of 193 Old 07-03-2011, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post

any new updates or reviews? I am looking at both of these sets, but I am unsure which way to go. Thanks

Flatpanels points standard battery of artefacts.

irkuck
post #187 of 193 Old 07-04-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CRLS_ View Post

I just sent a D7000 back to the store. I got an HX929 instead. It's a beauty! I cannot talk about the PQ of the d8000 but the Sony is amazing. I could not stand the gray clouds that appeared all over the screen on the d7000 every time there was white text over a solid black background. With the Sony this does not happen.

The thin bezel of the Samsung looks cool but when watched closely the clear plastic on the edges looks kind of cheap. The sony looks high quality materials and build top to bottom. It's a piece of art.

Agree. I was reading forums and reviews about these two models from the beginning of this year and now I'm owner of HX920 (it's europe version of HX929).
post #188 of 193 Old 07-07-2011, 02:36 PM

To be honest, I think the comparison should be between the Samsung D8000 and the sony HX820. they are both edge lit and have similar specs and more of an equal price. I am also looking to buy a tv and am having a hard tim deciding bewteen a sony and a samsung. but I do think think that all things being equal, I would choose the 929, but I really don't think they are equal.

Thoughts???
post #189 of 193 Old 07-07-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
"In short, it represents the pinnacle of LCD picture quality, so if you're shopping in the extreme upper end of the TV market and were only going to consider plasma, the XBR-HX929 might change your mind." (http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...#ixzz1RSMIkAdY)

"The good: The Sony XBR-HX929 series produces deeper black levels than any current LCD or plasma TV, giving excellent overall picture quality." (http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...#ixzz1RSNTLtF4)

"The bottom line: One of the best-performing LED-based LCDs we've ever tested, the expensive local-dimming Sony XBR-HX929 competes well with the top plasmas.( http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...#ixzz1RSPW3wRb)

LB
post #190 of 193 Old 07-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I've owned both the D8000 and the HX929, and I think both are great sets to the undiscriminating eye, but the trained, discriminating eye will be more pleased with the HX929.
post #191 of 193 Old 07-07-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
All... for some reason the URL links I posted from CNET quotes on this forum above concerning the HX929 review quotes are broken.....in any event please see the cnet Sony HX929 review by David Katzmaier at the www.cnet.com site. For those of you considering a Sony HX929 purchase this may be helpful to your TV purchase decision.

LB
post #192 of 193 Old 07-07-2011, 10:10 PM

samsung go go go
post #193 of 193 Old 12-11-2011, 03:26 AM

I should've posted my take alot earlier but better late then never..

Had the D8000 and then switched to the HX929 !

I keep reading stuff like the D8000 getting lower then average points per picture quality on known sites..
People normally go like ah "they sacrificed the picture quality for it's looks" according to me that is a very wrong assumption..
I had a Samsung 6000LED before that , I've also tried the C8000 and have owned many other Samsung models..
Even had the Pioneer Kuro Elite briefly also..

The D8000 is by far the best Samsung Screen in my experience I've ever come across in-terms of picture quality , I had it side by site to my Samsung 650 52'' (VGA) , while running a HDMI connection via PC to the D8000..

I'll spare u the horrible experience and utter disgust I had with the D8000 the first day of use with minimal calibration on it's picture

After two or three firmware updates (fixed Motion Plus , I believe the D8000 beats the HX925 when it comes to motion rendering in my view , I believe it maintains a near perfect balance of smoothness with minimal blurring)
Skin tones beat my Samsung 650 , also my Dell Monitor (connect to the pc via VGA) , that's no small feat , as my Samsung 650 LCD when connect via VGA (calibrated of course ) gave a very realistic look easily beating my previous Samsung 6000 55" LED in side by side comparisons every time...
What made me realize how better the D8000 was over the 6000 was the Side by Sides I had done with my Monitor setup along with the 650 !
The D8000 beat my monitors with noticably better more accurate skin tones , while maintain a pop/bright imagine (really bright , brighter then the HX929) While also keeping blacks as best a samsung could even when without auto dimming kicking in..the difference between auto dimming turning on and not turning on was not vastly noticeable like on previous Samsung Screens..
If I turn off LED Control on the HX929's , the Samsung D8000's blacks were vastly better and in my case , much more so with minimal bleeding in comparison to the Sony but the arguement goes futile if Sony's LED Control is turned on , the Sony milks out pure glossy inky blacks during scenes without a hitch beyond the sometimes noticeable blooming artifact (btw my d8000 was July or august build)

The D8000 is an excellent choice , u cant go wrong buying it , it's alot cheaper here..
It looks great , it's the best performing Samsung Screen I've ever used , tweaks/calibrations can have a drastic impact on ur screens picture quality (unlike the Sony that has alot of options but allows the picture quality to only change not on a vast scale ) , by default the D8000 ran like a 300$ screen , after calibrations it beat out my cousins Panasonic Plasma , all my other Samsung Screens , my Dell , HP monitors..
In most of every area , from motion handling , brightness to Colors the Samsung is an amazing screen , Viewing angles on the D8000 were also better then on the Sony (blooming takes atoll on the Sony on extreme angles rendering the screen unwatchable vs the Samsung that may lose out on color vibrancy only

The only downside I noticed with the D8000 was that the screen had an interlaced looking image and was mildly towards the non Apple Screen like sharpness side of things while the Sony feels like the Apple equivalent of a TV , like the lines on the screen are sometimes more noticeable then one would imagine being a norm for TV's , interlaced/projector kinda lines !
With my Sony HX , even if I'm sitting 4 feet away I dont see lines like those on my screen but 7 to 8 feet away from my Samsung I could still notice it slightly..oddly this was not there on my previous Samsung models..

I wanted a TV like the HX929/925 , so I bought it knowing exactly what to expect.. but I did learn to appreciate the Samsung more so after owning the Sony..
But the Near Kuro Blacks , a balanced crip TV that feels less like a gadget that'll go out of date in 6 months and more like a TV that I could imagine owning for 5 years... is what I gained..
The Sony feels more stable with picture quality , dark scenes , bright scenes , games , text , graphics all at an optimum..all the time (halo , blooming in scenes with nights stars at off center points are not good at all)
While the D8000 feels less consistent , , some scenes look sharper then others , blacks sometimes are inky in really dark scenes and sometimes with a mix of brightness and darkness , scenes look alright but never perfect all the time like on the Sony..
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page