1Likes

post #271 of 8252 Old 04-09-2011, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwam3 View Post
Just have them take it back [refund], and order another on line. Then you'll get another 30 days.

I would, but I used $800 in gift cards, which complicates things.

The story is getting weirder - I went to the hockey game tonight and my wife called to tell me that when she got home the TV was on (we didn't leave it on) and showed static. She turned on the cable box and receiver and got a picture.

The strange part is, it's functioning and I can adjust almost all of the settings, but the dimming doesn't appear to be working even though it says it's on and the TruMotion DOES appear to be on and says it isn't. And changing the settings for those two things has no effect. You got me.

I'm glad I can watch until the replacement comes in, but I think this particular set is screwy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 8252 Old 04-09-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarrior

My eyes actually can tell the difference between 720P and 1080P, especially on 40" HDTVs and up.

The 720P sets always look hazy to me compared to a 1080P HDTV, and I don't want to see a hazy effect when watching Blu-Ray
You didn't get what I was saying. I'm not talking about numbers that are in reviews about the tv. I'm talking about if you watch the tv in 3d and it's calibrated, you won't be able to tell the difference. I watched resident evil afterlife and it looked pretty much the same resolution in 2d and 3d. That's all I'm saying. I too can tell the difference between 720p and1080p. They look completely different. The 3d on this tv is crisp. Don't let reviews or things people say without actually watching the tv, fool you.
post #273 of 8252 Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 AM

IMO, there're many better 2d lcd tv's out there that're cheaper, but not many if any 3d lcds. And if I were a gamer, obsessed with a perfect picture, and didn't mind wasting electricity I'd go with a plasma.
post #274 of 8252 Old 04-10-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivered View Post

IMO, there're many better 2d lcd tv's out there that're cheaper, but not many if any 3d lcds. And if I were a gamer, obsessed with a perfect picture, and didn't mind wasting electricity I'd go with a plasma.

Out of curiosity, which model LCDs are you referring to. I'm planning to go to BB and check out some other models before this thing's finalized.

Plasma is out for me since I have four big windows in my family room. No glossy screen for me.
post #275 of 8252 Old 04-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megashock5 View Post

Out of curiosity, which model LCDs are you referring to. I'm planning to go to BB and check out some other models before this thing's finalized.

Plasma is out for me since I have four big windows in my family room. No glossy screen for me.

If BB gives you a hard time because of the gift cards, just ask for gift card replacements for the same amount, or store credit for the same amount as gift cards. I would try to get the cash/credit refunded, but even a refund in store credit would probably suit your needs. Don't take 'no' for an answer.
post #276 of 8252 Old 04-10-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm interested in the LG 55LW6500 or the 55LW5600. My question is how are the black levels and motion blur with sports. I have a well lighted room during the day and I like to watch movies with all the lights off at night. I can get a good deal on the 55LW5600 now, but noticed 120hz whereas the 55LW6500 has 240hz. Is it worth the extra money. BTW I don't do gaming. I just want a TV for everyday use plus 3d with passive glasses, my son had a Samsung and those active glasses are very annoying. I need to make a decision soon. Thanks

Joe V.
post #277 of 8252 Old 04-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

I'm interested in the LG 55LW6500 or the 55LW5600. My question is how are the black levels and motion blur with sports. I have a well lighted room during the day and I like to watch movies with all the lights off at night. I can get a good deal on the 55LW5600 now, but noticed 120hz whereas the 55LW6500 has 240hz. Is it worth the extra money. BTW I don't do gaming. I just want a TV for everyday use plus 3d with passive glasses, my son had a Samsung and those active glasses are very annoying. I need to make a decision soon. Thanks

Watched soccer and football and saw no blur at all. I also have a well lit room that this 5600 is in,, and blacks are nice. The PQ is nice. At first, SD was not as good as my old plasma 720, but after a few more hours of use, it got much better. Now I'm glad that I bought the Buydig.com bundle rather than spending another 1000 on the 6500 alone [to get 240hz]. I don't game on it either. So sports are real nice in HD.
post #278 of 8252 Old 04-10-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:

If I just wanted a 2d tv, I'd shop for a highly discounted higher end model from last year.

And regarding dimming and tru-motion, I don't see a huge difference when I turn on the dimming feature, and do you have real cinema turned on, it looks more like tru-motion with it on to me.
post #279 of 8252 Old 04-10-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:

If I just wanted a 2d tv, I'd shop for a highly discounted higher end model from last year.

And regarding dimming and tru-motion, I don't see a huge difference when I turn on the dimming feature, and do you have real cinema turned on, it looks more like tru-motion with it on to me.

The funny thing is, I was originally planning to get the Sony KDL55EX710 since it had a matte screen, and I saw it as low as $1499 last year but wasn't ready for it.

I soon as I was ready, that model was gone at every store and online it was $2068 on "clearance". The 720/723 that replaced it adds 3D and is $2259, which is what led me to this LG in the first place.

I'm not huge on 3D, but at least I might use it occasionally on this set, I would never shell out for the active glasses for the Sony.
post #280 of 8252 Old 04-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The funny thing is, I was originally planning to get the Sony KDL55EX710 since it had a matte screen, and I saw it as low as $1499 last year but wasn't ready for it.

I soon as I was ready, that model was gone at every store and online it was $2068 on "clearance". The 720/723 that replaced it adds 3D and is $2259, which is what led me to this LG in the first place.

I'm not huge on 3D, but at least I might use it occasionally on this set, I would never shell out for the active glasses for the Sony.

I found the same thing. I saw deals on the Sammy 7000's with glasses several months ago, but now the prices have gone up several hundred bucks. This bundle deal from buydig.com was just too good to pass up. So when I saw the TV at BB, I went home and ordered it. I'm happy so far.
post #281 of 8252 Old 04-10-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I was in my local Best Buy today and they had the 55LW5600 set up with its demo DVD running and 4 pairs of glasses sitting there. The primary demo was some clips from the Imax Under the Sea 3D program. I was able the stretch the glasses cord around 5 feet or so from the TV and was a bit above it. I have to say that I was pretty impressed with the set's 3D capabilities. In one sequence, a large grouper was "way out beyond" the boundaries of the screen and the depth from the screen to the back was excellent. One odd thing that I noticed happened when I moved in an arc from a point to the left of the screen to center and then to the right. The 3D pictured rolled as I was moving and the stabilized as I came to a halt. I assume that this is a trait of the the passive 3D system. Nevertheless, the overall 3D effectiveness of the system with its feather light glasses was very intriguing.
post #282 of 8252 Old 04-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I was in my local Best Buy today and they had the 55LW5600 set up with its demo DVD running and 4 pairs of glasses sitting there. The primary demo was some clips from the Imax Under the Sea 3D program. I was able the stretch the glasses cord around 5 feet or so from the TV and was a bit above it. I have to say that I was pretty impressed with the set's 3D capabilities. In one sequence, a large grouper was "way out beyond" the boundaries of the screen and the depth from the screen to the back was excellent. One odd thing that I noticed happened when I moved in an arc from a point to the left of the screen to center and then to the right. The 3D pictured rolled as I was moving and the stabilized as I came to a halt. I assume that this is a trait of the the passive 3D system. Nevertheless, the overall 3D effectiveness of the system with its feather light glasses was very intriguing.

One post told that some 3D items tended to follow you. The BB that I was at had a whole bunch of glasses in a box, so you did not need to use the ones attached to the string. The shark turned and darted toward us and we jumped since it looked so real. I happy with my purchase.
I use AMEX so I get a second year of warranty. I checked out some other extended warranties, but see too many complaints, even though two companies are rated A+ by the BBB. I wish I found a reliable warranty for a year or two more.
post #283 of 8252 Old 04-11-2011, 08:01 AM

So I jumped right in with Kandionkhrome settings (thanks) on all my inputs and have been impressed with the quality of this TV. However, once a TV is out of the store and in your house with no TV to Compare to, Hard not to be impressed.

With the tv up and running, I put it through its paces to see how it looked with pictures from different sources (Note I am a "light on" while I watch TV person as I find too much strain on my eyes with complete dark):

1. Satellite TV: Picture was great both in the day (large window to its left) and night. The picture had tons of pop and didn't present any significant blurring. I am an avid sports fan so watched the Masters, NHL game on NBC, and NBA on ABC yesterday and tv presented each of them with great color and no blurring was seen. Was shocked by how real the picture was especially the greens in Augusta. I also decided to watch the Masters in 3d, and i did not notice a drop in resolution from the HD feed to the 3d Feed. I know it has been written about the halving of resolution but I couldn't see it. It was an enjoyable 3D experience and felt as if I was there on some of the greens.

2. PS3: I played NBA2K11 as it is my favorite game that I have. I notice, no lag or blurring when I played. However, I wasn't online so I can't comment on that. I can say the 3D effect was very pronounced and comfortable. Again, the game looked the same from a resolution perspective and was fun to play.

3. 2D-3D: Played with this a little, but can say it does create a good effect with sports games but as expected its not great for every camera shot. However, it does add a nice element for those people wanting to change their viewing of TV. Nice add on.

4. I didn't have a 3D movie so I couldn't test its effect but blu-ray looked great with the dark knight. color tones were real and the film looked fantastic.

5. Audio: I am set up on a Harmon AVR354 so I don't plan to use the TV's speakers.

Overall, I did a lot of research online and read too many articles about TVs to confuse me more about my decision. I weighed plasma versus LED, 120 Versus 240, active versus passive. The decision tree was:

Plasma V. LED: Wife is a energy Efficiency engineer so Plasma wasn't going to cut it plus our room is well lit on a regular basis so LED was the best option.

120 Versus 240: Read a few articles that suggested that 120 v 240 isn't visible to the human eye. I think CNET poled 3 experts and it was 2:1 on unable to see. So I went to the local store and watched lord of rings and notice that the 240 created smoothing effect that made Computer gen objects look transposed on the screen. really taking the illusion away and making it look fake. Another friend of mine turned his new tv down to 120 for watching sports; so I decide on the 120 hz model.

Active vs. Passive: was close to buying the C8000 63 Samsung but didn't like the weight or the "sputtering" in the active glasses. I wanted to future proof my TV a little with 3D but couldn't see why active was so great given its requirement for head position and flickering in the glasses. Saw the passive tv in a local shop and was impressed with the image quality and the lack of "crosstalk". So it made the option much more clearer for me.

I hope this helps someone.
post #284 of 8252 Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI AVR GUY View Post

So I jumped right in with Kandionkhrome settings (thanks) on all my inputs and have been impressed with the quality of this TV. However, once a TV is out of the store and in your house with no TV to Compare to, Hard not to be impressed.

With the tv up and running, I put it through its paces to see how it looked with pictures from different sources (Note I am a "light on" while I watch TV person as I find too much strain on my eyes with complete dark):

1. Satellite TV: Picture was great both in the day (large window to its left) and night. The picture had tons of pop and didn't present any significant blurring. I am an avid sports fan so watched the Masters, NHL game on NBC, and NBA on ABC yesterday and tv presented each of them with great color and no blurring was seen. Was shocked by how real the picture was especially the greens in Augusta. I also decided to watch the Masters in 3d, and i did not notice a drop in resolution from the HD feed to the 3d Feed. I know it has been written about the halving of resolution but I couldn't see it. It was an enjoyable 3D experience and felt as if I was there on some of the greens.

2. PS3: I played NBA2K11 as it is my favorite game that I have. I notice, no lag or blurring when I played. However, I wasn't online so I can't comment on that. I can say the 3D effect was very pronounced and comfortable. Again, the game looked the same from a resolution perspective and was fun to play.

3. 2D-3D: Played with this a little, but can say it does create a good effect with sports games but as expected its not great for every camera shot. However, it does add a nice element for those people wanting to change their viewing of TV. Nice add on.

4. I didn't have a 3D movie so I couldn't test its effect but blu-ray looked great with the dark knight. color tones were real and the film looked fantastic.

5. Audio: I am set up on a Harmon AVR354 so I don't plan to use the TV's speakers.

Overall, I did a lot of research online and read too many articles about TVs to confuse me more about my decision. I weighed plasma versus LED, 120 Versus 240, active versus passive. The decision tree was:

Plasma V. LED: Wife is a energy Efficiency engineer so Plasma wasn't going to cut it plus our room is well lit on a regular basis so LED was the best option.

120 Versus 240: Read a few articles that suggested that 120 v 240 isn't visible to the human eye. I think CNET poled 3 experts and it was 2:1 on unable to see. So I went to the local store and watched lord of rings and notice that the 240 created smoothing effect that made Computer gen objects look transposed on the screen. really taking the illusion away and making it look fake. Another friend of mine turned his new tv down to 120 for watching sports; so I decide on the 120 hz model.

Active vs. Passive: was close to buying the C8000 63 Samsung but didn't like the weight or the "sputtering" in the active glasses. I wanted to future proof my TV a little with 3D but couldn't see why active was so great given its requirement for head position and flickering in the glasses. Saw the passive tv in a local shop and was impressed with the image quality and the lack of "crosstalk". So it made the option much more clearer for me.

I hope this helps someone.

Pretty awesome. Glad you liked the settings!
post #285 of 8252 Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 AM

I have the 47LW5600 and can't get a straight forward answer about my Comcast ESPN 3D. Comcast sends the signal as a top/bottom signal so I see duplicate pictures. Is the TV supposed to be able to switch the signal so that it is just one picture instead of top/bottom? Or am I just stuck with Top/bottom viewing?

Are other 3D TV's able to view ESPN 3D as one screen instead of split top/bottom from Comcast?

I have searched for a while and can't find a answer.

Thanks in advance,
Alvisar
post #286 of 8252 Old 04-11-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvisar View Post

I have the 47LW5600 and can't get a straight forward answer about my Comcast ESPN 3D. Comcast sends the signal as a top/bottom signal so I see duplicate pictures. Is the TV supposed to be able to switch the signal so that it is just one picture instead of top/bottom? Or am I just stuck with Top/bottom viewing?

Are other 3D TV's able to view ESPN 3D as one screen instead of split top/bottom from Comcast?

I have searched for a while and can't find a answer.

Thanks in advance,
Alvisar

Did you try to click on 3D, ok, and then top and bottom mode?
post #287 of 8252 Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:

Did you try to click on 3D, ok, and then top and bottom mode?

I did click on 3D and then tried to change the mode. But it won't let me change it to one screen. When I click on top / bottom it stays top / bottom. I want to see one broadcast...not a split screen of the same thing.
post #288 of 8252 Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalawod View Post

My LG55LW5600 is working perfectly for me except the Netflix app just locks up on the netflix splash screen. I saw on LG's support web site that somebody else has the same issue. I have to power cycle to get out of it. My LG software is current. Anybody else have this problem?
Part of the reason I bought this TV was hoping to get 5.1 surround out of netflix because that is one of the things that always frustrated me about netflix on my htpc -- lack of 5.1 audio. I have audio return channel (ARC) from the LG to my Onkyo working fine - other apps like amazon and youtube work.

I just bought this TV 3 days ago and I have the same problem like yours.
Did you fix yours yet and how?
post #289 of 8252 Old 04-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod View Post

I agree. I don't know why people condemn based on paper terms anyways. It looks fantastic!

I agreed. To me the resolution is better on 3D.
post #290 of 8252 Old 04-11-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:

I did click on 3D and then tried to change the mode. But it won't let me change it to one screen. When I click on top / bottom it stays top / bottom. I want to see one broadcast...not a split screen of the same thing.

If I recall correctly, when I had my old samsung and cable, I just changed modes to top/bottom when I had a top/bottom feed and the two pictures came together and I got one 3d picture.
post #291 of 8252 Old 04-11-2011, 03:56 PM

I just tried to watch some top/bottom 3d on youtube but can't access the 3d menu, strange because I can access it when I'm just watching regular tv.
post #292 of 8252 Old 04-11-2011, 04:57 PM

So, from a gaming point of view, what's the final verdict on this TV? I'm highly considering it, but I'm afraid I'm going to go loco if there's lag.

I thought I read that the software (firmware) updates have helped, and tweaking settings (ie: not using default "gaming" mode) help. How much does it help? As in, not noticeable, or still noticeable but not bad? I'm currently using an Olevia 242TFHD, which I don't notice any lag on, in comparison.

I did skim over quite a few pages, but it seemed hit or miss on the opinions. Any final verdict? I don't mind tweaking the settings, if it means having an amazing TV

The main reasons I'm considering this TV is:
1) Brighter room.
2) Price
3) Supposed great quality (only bashes I've heard is on the blacks, and possible lag).

Would it help this TV extensively in the dark, if you had lighting behind the TV? (IE: On the wall behind it)
post #293 of 8252 Old 04-11-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I used the youtube app on my tivo and watched a top/bottom feed, the two pictures merged when I clicked on the top/bottom setting. Maybe something in this can help you out.
post #294 of 8252 Old 04-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearia View Post
So, from a gaming point of view, what's the final verdict on this TV? I'm highly considering it, but I'm afraid I'm going to go loco if there's lag.

I thought I read that the software (firmware) updates have helped, and tweaking settings (ie: not using default "gaming" mode) help. How much does it help? As in, not noticeable, or still noticeable but not bad? I'm currently using an Olevia 242TFHD, which I don't notice any lag on, in comparison.

I did skim over quite a few pages, but it seemed hit or miss on the opinions. Any final verdict? I don't mind tweaking the settings, if it means having an amazing TV

The main reasons I'm considering this TV is:
1) Brighter room.
2) Price
3) Supposed great quality (only bashes I've heard is on the blacks, and possible lag).

Would it help this TV extensively in the dark, if you had lighting behind the TV? (IE: On the wall behind it)
got this tv this weekend. it's my 3rd 3d set. and I love this one. love it. Played a bunch of killzone, crysis and mlb the show. Online and off. Can't say anything negative about them. it's awesome. I will keep this one for sure!
post #295 of 8252 Old 04-11-2011, 06:17 PM

Well I got my 47 incher today. Sadly, I found a dent on the back of the panel after Pilot left, so Amazon will be coming to replace it on Friday.

Quick impressions:

I'm impressed with PQ. I used Kandionkhrome settings but with a higher backlight number. I don't think I experienced any lag playing black ops in 3d, but I'm not really an authority on gaming. 3d does look good IMO.

The one issue I'm having (besides the dent obvi) is sound. I updated the firmware, but sometimes when I turn on my cable box and tv at the same time, there is no sound. I think the issue is my cable box (old scientific atlanta time warner dvr box) or hdmi cable. I say this because when I'm getting no sound and switch over to PS3, the sound works.

I'm going to do a little more testing with this sound issue and let yall know what I find out.
post #296 of 8252 Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 PM

I'm having a problem with the premium apps like mlb.tv, facebook, etc; I got the tv on Saturday, and I downloaded the newest update. Beforehand, I was able to access YouTube and the other available apps. With the update, I haven't been able to even attempt to work the apps. It just says "Initializing...please try later." It has said that all of yesterday and today. Also, I have been having problems with logging in with my LG account. Any tips/suggestions?
post #297 of 8252 Old 04-11-2011, 11:25 PM

Anyone find settings to reduce the blooming? I hadn't noticed it really til watching tron in the dark, but i think the movie just had a way of exploiting every weakness of this set. I'm hoping calibration could help this a little since it will bring down the brightness a little..
post #298 of 8252 Old 04-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by er3_unc View Post

Well I got my 47 incher today. Sadly, I found a dent on the back of the panel after Pilot left, so Amazon will be coming to replace it on Friday.

Quick impressions:

I'm impressed with PQ. I used Kandionkhrome settings but with a higher backlight number. I don't think I experienced any lag playing black ops in 3d, but I'm not really an authority on gaming. 3d does look good IMO.

The one issue I'm having (besides the dent obvi) is sound. I updated the firmware, but sometimes when I turn on my cable box and tv at the same time, there is no sound. I think the issue is my cable box (old scientific atlanta time warner dvr box) or hdmi cable. I say this because when I'm getting no sound and switch over to PS3, the sound works.

I'm going to do a little more testing with this sound issue and let yall know what I find out.

Sometimes I ose sound with HD channels. I use Comcast STB Cisco RNG150. Turning the TV off and on gets the sound back, and sometimes switching to SD and back to HD channels does too. This happens with HDMI [tried 3 different cables, all different makes]does not happen with component. But it did improve with the last firmware update. I may try another box next month, when I have time to switch. Which STB do you use?
post #299 of 8252 Old 04-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrissey25 View Post

I'm having a problem with the premium apps like mlb.tv, facebook, etc; I got the tv on Saturday, and I downloaded the newest update. Beforehand, I was able to access YouTube and the other available apps. With the update, I haven't been able to even attempt to work the apps. It just says "Initializing...please try later." It has said that all of yesterday and today. Also, I have been having problems with logging in with my LG account. Any tips/suggestions?

Sounds like you should try to reset. LG told me to hold the power button on the bottom of the TV for a few seconds until it shuts off, unplug, and turn on again. Also, test the network if it will let you on the TV.
post #300 of 8252 Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 AM

I am thinking about picking one of these up today. It's between this & a 60" Sharp 831 LED. Its gonna be hard to give up the 5", but i am going for quality over size. Obviously the LG has the 3D with the edge local dimming. And the Sharp has the extra 5"s & the built in wifi. They are the same price.

I am just worried about gaming. I am not a hardcore gamer. I do play Fifa 11, MLB the show 11, Gran Turismo 5 & soon to have Socom 4 with the PS3 Move. Perhaps some see lag better than others.

I am on my way to the store pretty soon. I was just reading over this thread and you guys who own the set does make me lean towards the LG. I hope i don't miss that extra 5"s lol. Granted this set is in my Master bedroom . But will be the main living room TV when we move into our new house. I currently sit about 11 feet away, give or take.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Infinia 55lw5600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page