Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 8245 Old 04-20-2011, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i just got the 55" a couple days ago. I used the settings posted in this thread to fine tune the color. Thanks guys!

I have a ps3, xbox 360, and wii hooked up to a Onkyo tx-sr608 receiver which in turn is hooked up to the TV with a single HDMI cable. I have no cable hooked up to the TV, its just a gaming and movie tv for now.

I have two questions that hopefully one of you experts can help me with. Im not very good when it comes to setting electronics up.

1) How do I get sound to my receiver when playing the LF apps like Netflix? Do I need to hook up the TV to the receiver via the optical output?

2) When playing movies on the PS3, the sound is off. It's very noticeable. The sound happens before the action. I'd say maybe 1/4 of a sec off. Really weird to say the least. I've messed around with some of the options, but I havent tried too many things. (scared to screw it up worse lol) If I delay the speakers via the receiver options, it would affect more than just movie playback correct? Playing netflix thru my ps3 works fine, no delay whatsoever.
Do you think it's something wrong with the PS3, TV, or receiver? Or did I just miss a setting somewhere?

I just purchased the receiver and tv. Havent had the receiver hooked up to any other tv's.

Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 8245 Old 04-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

I would assume that to get the sound for the TVs native apps you would either have to use the tv speakers or use the optical output like you said. I don't have the TV just yet so I can't say for sure. Also the auto lip-synching function should help with the PS3 issues.
post #543 of 8245 Old 04-20-2011, 06:04 PM

Auto lip syncing? Ive havent noticed this option anywhere in the settings. Could you point me in the right place please?

The manual is almost useless. Half of it describes how to unpack the TV lol.
post #544 of 8245 Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 PM

Found the Lip sync feature in the receiver options, but it didnt help at all.

Still researching....
post #545 of 8245 Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post

I'm the same way, I have at least 5 pair of the theater glasses at home, started to collect them when I heard about passive tech. So when I get my set I'll have 9 pair to start! And another fun little thing is to take some paint pens and touch up the glasses that you get at the theater!

The theaters have at least 3 sizes of glasses; adult, kids, and small kids. I never knew till one time I was asked if I wanted smaller glasses for the kids? The smaller ones fit them much better.
post #546 of 8245 Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

I'm going to have to get smaller ones too, maybe when I go see Thor on the 6th...
post #547 of 8245 Old 04-20-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_lobos View Post

I saw the lines on the set at my local BB aswell, i wonder if they are using usb for the content rather than a 3d player?

Intersting, I'm suprised they would use USB to play any content at the store. I can confirm that everything I tried via USB, both port 1 and 2 did NOT show any lines.

I did pick up a Panasonic 110 3D player tonight, and I'm happy to report all my 3D Blu Ray plays without lines now. Also I made a really intersting discovery. Now I know that you can adjust the strength of 3D when doing 2D to 3D conversion, however I'm not sure if you can do that with 3D content, I would have thought that 3D content has the strenght encoded in the movie, so it's displayed as intended, this is my assumption and I can be totally off. Back to what I noticed.. I tested Coraline 3D tonight, and I noticed that in the main menu screen the Coraline and menu options (play movie, scene selection, ect) had a much stronger 3D effect from the Panasonic player. Playing the same screen from the PS3 looked almost 2D, maybe tommrow night I'll play with it more and see if it was actually 2D converted to 3D..
post #548 of 8245 Old 04-20-2011, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.tam View Post

Intersting, I'm suprised they would use USB to play any content at the store. I can confirm that everything I tried via USB, both port 1 and 2 did NOT show any lines.

I did pick up a Panasonic 110 3D player tonight, and I'm happy to report all my 3D Blu Ray plays without lines now. Also I made a really intersting discovery. Now I know that you can adjust the strength of 3D when doing 2D to 3D conversion, however I'm not sure if you can do that with 3D content, I would have thought that 3D content has the strenght encoded in the movie, so it's displayed as intended, this is my assumption and I can be totally off. Back to what I noticed.. I tested Coraline 3D tonight, and I noticed that in the main menu screen the Coraline and menu options (play movie, scene selection, ect) had a much stronger 3D effect from the Panasonic player. Playing the same screen from the PS3 looked almost 2D, maybe tommrow night I'll play with it more and see if it was actually 2D converted to 3D..

Awesome, glad to hear about another one joining the no-line group! The depth does seem better on the standalone players doesnt it?
post #549 of 8245 Old 04-21-2011, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Damn you guys and your standalone players! now I have to get one too.. the wife is going to kill me..
post #550 of 8245 Old 04-21-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.tam View Post

My wife said she thought the depth was better with the same player as well. I didnt notice too much, ill have to do some more research on that one.
post #551 of 8245 Old 04-21-2011, 07:00 AM

Hi guys,

Does it matter what 3D player I get? I was thinking of picking up the LG DB660 today... but you guys are talking about the Panasonic 110 3D player.

Any advice?
post #552 of 8245 Old 04-21-2011, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Here is a review that just came out on this model.
http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm

Precision Video Calibrations
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #553 of 8245 Old 04-21-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac View Post

Hi guys,

Does it matter what 3D player I get? I was thinking of picking up the LG DB660 today... but you guys are talking about the Panasonic 110 3D player.

Any advice?

I bought the Panny because of price and the free movies included. I was thinking of going LG just to keep all my components the same brand, but after seeing the Panny 110 i couldn't pas up the price, free 3d movie of my choice and a free copy Avatar 3d. I'm sure you will have good luck with the LG tho.
post #554 of 8245 Old 04-21-2011, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac View Post

Hi guys,

Any advice?

Standalone is a standalone, some will be better than others, just read up on them. I have heard good things about the LG BD660 but at the same time I haven't really tried to read anything on the panny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 View Post

Not really a favorable review for our beloved set now was it? I didnt get a chance to read Tue entire review yet but did they even tweak the settings at all or did they just go with factory settings?
post #555 of 8245 Old 04-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I bought the Panny because of price and the free movies included. I was thinking of going LG just to keep all my components the same brand, but after seeing the Panny 110 i couldn't pas up the price, free 3d movie of my choice and a free copy Avatar 3d. I'm sure you will have good luck with the LG tho.

Can you pm me where and how much please?
post #556 of 8245 Old 04-21-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmc123 View Post

So i just got the 55" a couple days ago. I used the settings posted in this thread to fine tune the color. Thanks guys!

I have a ps3, xbox 360, and wii hooked up to a Onkyo tx-sr608 receiver which in turn is hooked up to the TV with a single HDMI cable. I have no cable hooked up to the TV, its just a gaming and movie tv for now.

I have two questions that hopefully one of you experts can help me with. Im not very good when it comes to setting electronics up.

1) How do I get sound to my receiver when playing the LF apps like Netflix? Do I need to hook up the TV to the receiver via the optical output?

2) When playing movies on the PS3, the sound is off. It's very noticeable. The sound happens before the action. I'd say maybe 1/4 of a sec off. Really weird to say the least. I've messed around with some of the options, but I havent tried too many things. (scared to screw it up worse lol) If I delay the speakers via the receiver options, it would affect more than just movie playback correct? Playing netflix thru my ps3 works fine, no delay whatsoever.
Do you think it's something wrong with the PS3, TV, or receiver? Or did I just miss a setting somewhere?

I just purchased the receiver and tv. Havent had the receiver hooked up to any other tv's.

Any help would be appreciated!

As for getting sound back to your receiver, when streaming directly to the TV, there are two ways to do it:

- send the audio out from the TV to an extra audio input on your receiver (can be either two-channel analog, or else the optical audio output).
- OR, if your receiver supports ARC (stands for something like Audio Return Channel), then you can get audio passed digitally back to the receiver, over the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. You need to use HDMI input 1 on the TV, and also need to turn on/enable ARC at both the TV and the receiver. I think others have had some difficulty with getting this to work, so you might want to search for posts about this.

Because of the above issue, I find that it usually makes sense to stream to my BD player, rather than directly to the TV, since then the audio is already being fed to my receiver. But of course that requires that the player be networked.
post #557 of 8245 Old 04-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

I ordered 3 new HDMI cables yesterday at noon (from the ONE price place ) and they just arrived. Never had something shipped that quickly before, and best of all it was cheaper than standard USPS... Just sharing the good fortune, now when I get my set on Saturday I'll have everything I need...
post #558 of 8245 Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 View Post

Kind of a mediocre review, although a number of strong points were identified.

The two things that seemed like the biggest negatives were poor handling of motion, and poor black performance (leading in turn to poor contrast ratio).

The black level measurement was made with the backlight setting at 100, and local dimming off. I understand why this is done this way, in order to have consistent measurements across different brands. And the very good white brightness measurement also cited depends on the backlight being set high. But almost all users are going to sacrifice some ultimate brightness to obtain better black performance, by using a lower backlight setting, even if they don't use local dimming.

What I thought was more suprising was the the reviewer's "calibrated" settings (not a real calibration, but just an adjustment of the more typical user settings) kept the backlight set at 100. This makes no sense to me.

If you are going to not use local dimming, then I'd think a backlight setting of below 50 was basically mandatory, and something in the 30's or 40's was more appropriate. ("Cinema Mode" sets it at 30, I think). If you turn local dimming on, then you can get away with a setting that is more like 50. But after going through the Picture Wizard process, I would see no reason to have the backlight above 50, unless you were viewing in a very bright room. Even in a bright room, I think you'd still turn it down appreciably from 100. I think I have my backlight set at 45 right now, with local dimming in the "Medium" setting. (In reading what the manual says about low, medium, and high local dimming, it was not at all obvious how medium and high differed.....)

My other quibble with the review was that he didn't say if TrueMotion was turned on or off (or if on, at what settings), during the "motion performance" test. My guess is off, but it wasn't ever stated (except that his calibration settings showed it turned off). His comments may well be valid - I haven't got enough watching time in to know what settings work best. Calibrators and professional reviewers almost always look askance at processing features like TrueMotion, but perhaps occasionally they actually work.... My starting point in this regard is to have it on, but with the de-judder turned well down. (Basically I have de-judder at 2 and de-blur at 5, whereas the "Low" setting has both at 3, and the "High" setting has both at 8, if I recall right.) This is based solely on posts from other set owners, and I haven't tried any of my own experimenting yet.

Still, I thought the comments were interesting. To be honest, I thought the color accuracy measurements were very good, perhaps better than expected. Maybe this is why I like my set's picture quality so much - I think I am very sensitive to color accuracy, and less sensitive to other performance aspects.
post #559 of 8245 Old 04-21-2011, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have had my 55LW5600 for a few weeks and ever since day 1, I have noticed a high pitch squeeling noise coming from the TV as soon as I turn it on. The noise is there even when muted. After 5-10 minutes this noise isn't as noticable.
Has anyone else had this same problem?

Eric
post #560 of 8245 Old 04-21-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx250r87 View Post

I have had my 55LW5600 for a few weeks and ever since day 1, I have noticed a high pitch squeeling noise coming from the TV as soon as I turn it on. The noise is there even when muted. After 5-10 minutes this noise isn't as noticable.

Eric

I haven't noticed anything to that nature, and ive been critiquing every inch of this set for the last week.
post #561 of 8245 Old 04-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Just played a DivX movie from a USB thumb drive and it was perfect! Very nice. I used to use my DivX certified DVD player, which also had a USB 2 port. The BD670 3D Wifi Blu-ray Disc Player that was part of the bundle that I bought can do it too, but there's no need to use anything but the TV! Very sweet. I could have used the DLNA to stream, since my Vista laptop detected it and automatically set it up, but I wanted to test a thumb drive. Besides, there's less menu searching. BTW, I did test DLNA and watched The Hulk. Everything went fine and looked great.
post #562 of 8245 Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 PM

I have my friends Xbox w/ hdmi now for the weekend....... both to try Call Of Dury in 3d and test lag. (3d wont work through VGA or Comp. with Xbox)

First of all the 3d worked fine...although I would not play a game with it on... When you aim down the sight you can't see well etc..
The onscreen data like bullets left etc pops out a bit and the gun looks cool but nothing too cool.... However I didn't expect it to be.

Now.. the bad news... I did the same Rock band test with the sensor..

Via HDMI in 720p, 1080i, 1080p all in game mode. I also reset game mode etc...also power cycled tv between etc etc.

They all were 116-130... 1080p avg. higher.. and all the HDMI results were more varient....ie 117..121.125

Using his box(just to make sure it wasn't the box etc) I then swapped the cable to what my box was using (VGA) and changed his box res to 1280x720.... and got the same ok numbers 49-53ms...... (I say ok since I personally don't notice much then).

With HDMI you can chose just scan or 16x9.. I tried both just scan added ~10ms....

SO ... I am really bummed I am ok with VGA but what does that mean if I get a new game console some day.

Also that fact that without local dimming the backlighting is uneven - which really doesn't matter unless nothing is on the screen but still a little noticable.

old results:
=======================================
CRT via composite 480i ...game mode(-3ms) so added 3 to get the below:
All VGA in game mode:
VGA 1280x720 51 52 52
VGA 1920x1080 68 82 69 (this mode had lots more var. in results)
VGA 1368x768 80 84 83
VGA 848x480 56 57 48
component(game) 1080 119 120 121
component(game) 720 117 118 119
component(std) 1080 tru high/local high 183 184 183
post #563 of 8245 Old 04-21-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx250r87 View Post

Eric

I think you should call that one in and get someone to fix it. I'm normally very sensitive to high pitch humming like that, and my TV does not do that.
post #564 of 8245 Old 04-22-2011, 04:57 AM

Does anyone have suggestions/settings for 2D->3D? I've played around a bit with it, and it never really looks right. I see a little depth, but somehow its almost a little out of focus. Don't really know how else to explain it. But I don't have an actual 3D movie yet, so I don't know if all 2D-3D is going to be like this, and actual 3D is much better.
post #565 of 8245 Old 04-22-2011, 07:16 AM

Does anyone have the 55" setup with a viewing distance 8'-10'? I'm bouncing between the 47" and the 55" and would like to know if anyone has around the same viewing distance and could tell me if there's any issues with being able to see the lines in 3D mode at my distance?

I have a 50" DLP atm and have always felt it was about the right size for the space, but the 47" when looking at it in the store just seems like it would start feeling small. I feel like for 3D to be immersive you have to have a screen that fills a large portion of your field of vision. Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks!

BTW, went back to BB last night and they FINALLY had one of these bad boys hooked up to a 3D source. It was amazing. The 3D really blew my socks off. Having seen it before with just the 2D>3D conversion I was a bit worried because it looked a little "off" to me. Just wow, with real 3D all the concerns are gone and my trigger finger is officially itchy. Just need to figure out the size. As mentioned above my viewing distance will be around 8-10 feet with a max angle of maybe 25 degrees.
post #566 of 8245 Old 04-22-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slirp View Post

Does anyone have the 55" setup with a viewing distance 8'-10'? I'm bouncing between the 47" and the 55" and would like to know if anyone has around the same viewing distance and could tell me if there's any issues with being able to see the lines in 3D mode at my distance?

I have a 50" DLP atm and have always felt it was about the right size for the space, but the 47" when looking at it in the store just seems like it would start feeling small. I feel like for 3D to be immersive you have to have a screen that fills a large portion of your field of vision. Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks!

BTW, went back to BB last night and they FINALLY had one of these bad boys hooked up to a 3D source. It was amazing. The 3D really blew my socks off. Having seen it before with just the 2D>3D conversion I was a bit worried because it looked a little "off" to me. Just wow, with real 3D all the concerns are gone and my trigger finger is officially itchy. Just need to figure out the size. As mentioned above my viewing distance will be around 8-10 feet with a max angle of maybe 25 degrees.

Im about 8 feet back and i have no complaints. Get the 55!!
post #567 of 8245 Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Im about 8 feet back and i have no complaints. Get the 55!!

You rock. Thanks for the quick feedback.
post #568 of 8245 Old 04-22-2011, 07:58 AM

I would have to agree with the 55". I'm at about 12', and getting even 4 feet closer doesn't show much, if anything. i went from a 42" to this monster, and love it. If you already have a 50, I wouldn't go down in size, you'll miss it.
post #569 of 8245 Old 04-22-2011, 08:44 AM

I want a 65" passive LG- waiting for the 65lw6500 to become more readily available and under 4k.
post #570 of 8245 Old 04-22-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddgabweg View Post

I want a 65" passive LG- waiting for the 65lw6500 to become more readily available and under 4k.

Way too expensive for the extra 10" ima wait a few years for one that big. Im perfectly happy with the 55" now
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Infinia 55lw5600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page