Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - Page 190 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread

LCD Flat Panel Displays

abba1's Avatar abba1
01:13 PM Liked: 11
post #5671 of 8257
11-19-2011 | Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post

Hi, Newegg has a good deal on the Pioneer VSX-1021-K AV receiver. Would this be a good addition and starting point for HT set-up?

I have the 55LW6500. What speaker system would be good for this receiver ?

Anyone have pro's or con's ?

Good afternoon, COMPUTIAC! Pioneer receivers are great! (I'm bias...I've got one!) I enjoy what I consider a very ''warm'' and natural sound thanks to the MCACC calibration system. Just follow the on-screen prompts and you're all set to go. Having said that, most individuals on this form will tell you speakers are where to start...you're system is only as good as the speakers involved. Speaking of calibration, how are you doing setting up your 5600? I've spent quite some time with this set and am almost there!
1HD_addict's Avatar 1HD_addict
01:48 PM Liked: 12
post #5672 of 8257
11-19-2011 | Posts: 246
There are many things to consider when purchasing home theater speakers.
Abba1 is absolutely correct when stating your system is only as good as the speakers involved.

Good speakers can make an average receiver sound great.
The best receiver in the world can't make bad speakers sound good.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to toss speaker ideas around.
COMPUTIAC's Avatar COMPUTIAC
02:34 PM Liked: 12
post #5673 of 8257
11-19-2011 | Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by abba1 View Post

Good afternoon, COMPUTIAC! Pioneer receivers are great! (I'm bias...I've got one!) I enjoy what I consider a very ''warm'' and natural sound thanks to the MCACC calibration system. Just follow the on-screen prompts and you're all set to go. Having said that, most individuals on this form will tell you speakers are where to start...you're system is only as good as the speakers involved. Speaking of calibration, how are you doing setting up your 5600? I've spent quite some time with this set and am almost there!

Hi abba1, how are you this afternoon ? How do you like the 5600 so far ?

I have not done much to mine so far as I am trying to avoid some of the problems I see a lot of the others have. Maybe it is just me but so far I think it is fine the way it is. Granted I've only had it for 10 days now, I graduated from a Sylvania "32, CRT, 6432TFY from '05, so all this is super astounding to my old peepers, with/without spec's on.

How do you have yours set-up ? HT system or just speakers ? BD as yet or still looking ?
abba1's Avatar abba1
03:47 PM Liked: 11
post #5674 of 8257
Quote:

Hi abba1, how are you this afternoon ? How do you like the 5600 so far ?

I have not done much to mine so far as I am trying to avoid some of the problems I see a lot of the others have. Maybe it is just me but so far I think it is fine the way it is. Granted I've only had it for 10 days now, I graduated from a Sylvania "32, CRT, 6432TFY from '05, so all this is super astounding to my old peepers, with/without spec's on.

How do you have yours set-up ? HT system or just speakers ? BD as yet or still looking ?

Where does one start? First, this is a great TV for the money. Are there ''better'' TV's (however you want to define that) out there? Sure. But personally I don't believe an extra 1K and above is going to buy 1K+ of PQ improvement. By the way, what ''problems'' do you see others have? Your ''graduation'' from a 32'' Sylvania must be huge for you! My set up is modest and quite small. My viewing area is only 11x12. Within this limited area I do have a HT set-up complete with receiver, five speakers and a subwoofer. Yes, I do have a BR player...a Sony 5000ES which was purchased at a very good price. I'm waiting to see if the Panasonic 310 goes on sale during the holidays so that I can discover what real 3d is all about. I have tried the 2d to 3d conversion and it is good for what the 5600 is asked to do. But in my estimation, nothing to write home about. The only other item is some ambient lighting for the 5600 to help prevent eye strain and (as some say) help with the black level (perception is everything!).
Adawg120's Avatar Adawg120
04:33 PM Liked: 10
post #5675 of 8257
11-19-2011 | Posts: 6
If I have 3D SBS videos on a PC, do I need to run anything special to watch them on this TV or can I just run the movie in my media player of choice and then put the TV into 3D mode?
owine's Avatar owine
04:35 PM Liked: 10
post #5676 of 8257
11-19-2011 | Posts: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adawg120 View Post

If I have 3D SBS videos on a PC, do I need to run anything special to watch them on this TV or can I just run the movie in my media player of choice and then put the TV into 3D mode?

Just turn on the 3D mode from the remote.
04:37 PM Liked: 12
post #5677 of 8257
Quote:

Where does one start? First, this is a great TV for the money. Are there ''better'' TV's (however you want to define that) out there? Sure. But personally I don't believe an extra 1K and above is going to buy 1K+ of PQ improvement. By the way, what ''problems'' do you see others have? Your ''graduation'' from a 32'' Sylvania must be huge for you! My set up is modest and quite small. My viewing area is only 11x12. Within this limited area I do have a HT set-up complete with receiver, five speakers and a subwoofer. Yes, I do have a BR player...a Sony 5000ES which was purchased at a very good price. I'm waiting to see if the Panasonic 310 goes on sale during the holidays so that I can discover what real 3d is all about. I have tried the 2d to 3d conversion and it is good for what the 5600 is asked to do. But in my estimation, nothing to write home about. The only other item is some ambient lighting for the 5600 to help prevent eye strain and (as some say) help with the black level (perception is everything!).

Sounds like a very good set-up to me. My LR is 18'x23'or so w/10' ceilings, and 1) 5'x8' window. The only neighbor I have is behind the TV area, 2' away from the subwoofer, so I can't go too crazy with it. Don't want to have anyone banging on my door saying I knocked the pictures off their wall !
By problems I mean light bleeding, halo effects, time lags and such, I may well be not perceiving these as to ongoing problems with all the TV's, I just wonder how all the changes effect other settings either directly or inadvertently, I don't know just guessing.

I think I'm going to order the receiver before they are sold out again. Do you have any ideas on speakers ? Maybe on Newegg's site ?
MoesArt's Avatar MoesArt
05:40 PM Liked: 11
post #5678 of 8257
11-19-2011 | Posts: 28
#1. Has anyone watched Chicken Little 3D Blu-Ray on the 55LW5600 and did you see any ghosting problems mentioned in various reviews? I'm hoping this TV is one of the ones unaffected by it.

#2. Some people were talking about "lag". Is this referring to a lag of the audio for games only if you listen through the TV's speakers only or is the lag through an amplifier? I played Crysis 2 in 3D through an amplifier with the TV at all default settings and didn't notice any problems.

#3. What is THX 3D? Some people were discussing how to activate it (which begs the question why isn't it activated by default if it's a good thing), so I Googled "THX 3D" and just saw mentions of THX 3D certified displays. I didn't find a description of what turning this mode on will alter for this TV.
jordan23237's Avatar jordan23237
05:59 PM Liked: 10
post #5679 of 8257
11-19-2011 | Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoesArt View Post

#1. Has anyone watched Chicken Little 3D Blu-Ray on the 55LW5600 and did you see any ghosting problems mentioned in various reviews? I'm hoping this TV is one of the ones unaffected by it.

#2. Some people were talking about "lag". Is this referring to a lag of the audio for games only if you listen through the TV's speakers only or is the lag through an amplifier? I played Crysis 2 in 3D through an amplifier with the TV at all default settings and didn't notice any problems.

#3. What is THX 3D? Some people were discussing how to activate it (which begs the question why isn't it activated by default if it's a good thing), so I Googled "THX 3D" and just saw mentions of THX 3D certified displays. I didn't find a description of what turning this mode on will alter for this TV.

I have experienced gaming lag on this tv and have rturned it. However some have stated that there is a fix. Is it really possible to get rid of all gaming lag or will it always be there on this set? PLease help as I would love to get it back if its truly possible to get rid of lag as I mostly play games. Thanks kindly
wh1ps's Avatar wh1ps
06:15 PM Liked: 10
post #5680 of 8257
11-19-2011 | Posts: 5
I just recently go the 47LW5600 and it's a great unit. My only issue that I cannot get my ps3 to recognize as a 3D tv. I have searched this forum and numerous others and still haven't find a good enough answer as to whether it is possible for the ps3 to output 3d to this tv and what settings would I need. I am asking if there's anyone on this forum who has gotten the ps3 to recognize this tv as 3d can you tell me how you achieved (including what model hdmi cable and how is it connected as well as system settings for tv and ps3 if any). Your help will be much appreciated!!
abba1's Avatar abba1
06:19 PM Liked: 11
post #5681 of 8257
Quote:

Sounds like a very good set-up to me. My LR is 18'x23'or so w/10' ceilings, and 1) 5'x8' window. The only neighbor I have is behind the TV area, 2' away from the subwoofer, so I can't go too crazy with it. Don't want to have anyone banging on my door saying I knocked the pictures off their wall !
By problems I mean light bleeding, halo effects, time lags and such, I may well be not perceiving these as to ongoing problems with all the TV's, I just wonder how all the changes effect other settings either directly or inadvertently, I don't know just guessing.

I think I'm going to order the receiver before they are sold out again. Do you have any ideas on speakers ? Maybe on Newegg's site ?

OK, now I see what you mean by ''problems.'' That's the only bad thing about this forum...you read about the problems, then you begin to look for them and lo and behold they're there!!! But the thing is, there are problems with just about every TV. They all have their pluses and minuses. Speakers??? Oh, boy...there are literally hundreds of them out there. Perhaps a few suggestions would be in order. As mentioned before...don't skimp on the speakers. There are Wal-Mart speakers and then there are speakers! You will hear the difference with your Pioneer. Internet Direct is the best bang for the buck in terms of speakers...there is no middle-man involved and thus you will get quality speakers for less than if you go to a Magnolia or whatever. I have Ascend Speakers across the front and love them. If you strapped for cash (especially after the 5600 & the Pioneer!!!) at least buy a couple for the stereo effect and then when the pockets are fuller, spring for the others. Just make sure wherever you buy that there is a good return policy in case you don't like the sound. You may want to check out the extensive speaker section here at AVS
07:35 PM Liked: 12
post #5682 of 8257
Quote:

OK, now I see what you mean by ''problems.'' That's the only bad thing about this forum...you read about the problems, then you begin to look for them and lo and behold they're there!!! But the thing is, there are problems with just about every TV. They all have their pluses and minuses. Speakers??? Oh, boy...there are literally hundreds of them out there. Perhaps a few suggestions would be in order. As mentioned before...don't skimp on the speakers. There are Wal-Mart speakers and then there are speakers! You will hear the difference with your Pioneer. Internet Direct is the best bang for the buck in terms of speakers...there is no middle-man involved and thus you will get quality speakers for less than if you go to a Magnolia or whatever. I have Ascend Speakers across the front and love them. If you strapped for cash (especially after the 5600 & the Pioneer!!!) at least buy a couple for the stereo effect and then when the pockets are fuller, spring for the others. Just make sure wherever you buy that there is a good return policy in case you don't like the sound. You may want to check out the extensive speaker section here at AVS

When I was just looking into the 5600 I saw some of the things which were a concern on here and had second thoughts. Since I took delivery of mine I don't see much of anything in the way of what was being discussed. Very happy with my final result in "correcting" mine.
wh1ps's Avatar wh1ps
07:49 PM Liked: 10
post #5683 of 8257
11-19-2011 | Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh1ps View Post

I just recently go the 47LW5600 and it's a great unit. My only issue that I cannot get my ps3 to recognize as a 3D tv. I have searched this forum and numerous others and still haven't find a good enough answer as to whether it is possible for the ps3 to output 3d to this tv and what settings would I need. I am asking if there's anyone on this forum who has gotten the ps3 to recognize this tv as 3d can you tell me how you achieved (including what model hdmi cable and how is it connected as well as system settings for tv and ps3 if any). Your help will be much appreciated!!

Ok guys never mind, I figured it out. It was my ps3 display settings that needed to change, now its working in all it's glory and i love it!
skyguy3d's Avatar skyguy3d
08:38 PM Liked: 10
post #5684 of 8257
11-19-2011 | Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh1ps View Post

Ok guys never mind, I figured it out. It was my ps3 display settings that needed to change, now its working in all it's glory and i love it!

Do you get input lag when you play PS3 3d games at 720p frame-packing mode on the LG tv?
ironrogue's Avatar ironrogue
10:25 PM Liked: 10
post #5685 of 8257
11-19-2011 | Posts: 12
I've had the set for almost a month now and have the 2D picture dialed in nicely using various posted settings as a baseline. Current sources are DirecTV SD, Sony Bluray, and PS3 for gaming. When playing 3D Blurays on the Sony (not ps3) the picture can be blurry in spots (edges?) and at different times, as in, not constantly. Can someone offer me the right settings I should be looking at to correct and improve the picture quality for 3D viewing?
linetest's Avatar linetest
05:10 AM Liked: 10
post #5686 of 8257
11-20-2011 | Posts: 128
Quote:

Hi, Newegg has a good deal on the Pioneer VSX-1021-K AV receiver. Would this be a good addition and starting point for HT set-up?

I have the 55LW6500. What speaker system would be good for this receiver ?

Anyone have pro's or con's ?

Not sure of your budget. But I just purchased the speaker set in the link. Very well reviewed and inexpensive. They sound great. Since I am in a condo, I can't make use of $3K worth of speakers. But these little Yamaha's are very nice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...01_i00_details
gkrykewy's Avatar gkrykewy
07:07 AM Liked: 10
post #5687 of 8257
11-20-2011 | Posts: 194
I purchased a 47LW5300 from one of the $799 deals available over the last few days (Amazon), and I figured I'd post a few notes, tips, and quirks I've found while setting it up and fussing with it yesterday and today.

First, and most importantly, the PQ is just phenomenal. I'm not sure if it's really a different panel from the 5600, etc, but in any case, I'm blown away and very satisfied.

I was able to access the service menu with my harmony remote following the same instructions as for the 5600, and successfully enabled 5.1 out and THX modes. Interestingly, unlike the 5600, I can't seem to be able to edit the specific settings under THX using the easter egg code. Maybe there's another code out there somewhere?

Another limitation is that I can't edit PQ settings while in 3D mode. Pressing the quick menu button just gets me a "this function is not available now" message. The only options I jave are to switch between standard, cinema, and game using the AV mode button on the remote. Fortunately, I was able to verify that these modes (at least standard and game) are using my user PQ settings, so I can change them as I like, just not on the fly.

I also verified that game lag on my xbox 360 is negligible or imperceptible, at leasing using the PC input label that was suggested.

Question: should I be using the Real Cinema setting on the TV for my BR player? Does it enhance 1080p/24 sources or do anything at all?
wh1ps's Avatar wh1ps
07:43 AM Liked: 10
post #5688 of 8257
11-20-2011 | Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy3d View Post

Do you get input lag when you play PS3 3d games at 720p frame-packing mode on the LG tv?

I have done the PC label trick for my ps3 and I must say if there is any lag I certainly have not noticed it. It seem relatively lag free as far as I can tell
audiotaxi's Avatar audiotaxi
10:06 AM Liked: 10
post #5689 of 8257
11-20-2011 | Posts: 10
Forgive me if I've missed this in the searches I've done, but should I be able to get the tv to output Dolby 5.1 and Dts from the optical output? I've turned the tv speakers off and can only get PCM through my amp. I've resorted to connecting the PS3 direct to the amp but would like to get 5.1 from the cable Box if poss. Thanks.
Burninh2o's Avatar Burninh2o
10:48 AM Liked: 10
post #5690 of 8257
11-20-2011 | Posts: 95
Will my old Panasonic tube TV remote work to unlock that hidden menu?
10:49 AM Liked: 10
post #5691 of 8257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jepherzzzz View Post

I went to look at this TV at bestbuys before purchasing it. Overall the 3D looked better than the other 2 sets on display. There was a short demo with a fish swimming toward the screen and popping out, that sold me on the TV. However when I try to watch that same video at home nothing really pops out except for a few small tiny fishes which are more blurry than anything. Is there something wrong with the 3D on my TV? Looking through a few of these posts it looks like a few of us has the same experience while others think the 3D on this TV is better than the demo...

I went into Best buy to ask about this because its really bugging me. I got some BS answer about "its not the TV, its all in the content, ie the blu ray"

So why,if I have the same TV and the same disc as the store, does the pop out not occur? Has anyone any more insight?
txcrude's Avatar txcrude
10:54 AM Liked: 10
post #5692 of 8257
11-20-2011 | Posts: 34
After reading this forum for a couple months and deciding on the 55LW5600 or 6500 series, I finally pulled the trigger on the 55LW6500 X-Box & Halo bundle at Newegg.com this weekend. I hope I won't regret it and see much lower prices on Black Friday but from what I saw there will be a few 55" LG on sale but probably not these models.
I am also considering selling the X-Box and Halo for $200 which would further reduce the price of the TV. I am not much of a gamer, however, I am intrigued by Forza 4.
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I am sure I will continue coming back for all the tips and hacks.
12:00 PM Liked: 10
post #5693 of 8257
Another thing I noticed is that the RealD 3D glasses I saved from the theater have better build quality than the LG glasses, and work just as well. Using those instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotaxi View Post

Forgive me if I've missed this in the searches I've done, but should I be able to get the tv to output Dolby 5.1 and Dts from the optical output? I've turned the tv speakers off and can only get PCM through my amp. I've resorted to connecting the PS3 direct to the amp but would like to get 5.1 from the cable Box if poss. Thanks.

You have to enable 5.1-out through the service menu (search this thread), but it still won't pass DTS unfortunately.
06:03 PM Liked: 10
post #5694 of 8257
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrykewy View Post

Another thing I noticed is that the RealD 3D glasses I saved from the theater have better build quality than the LG glasses, and work just as well. Using those instead.

You have to enable 5.1-out through the service menu (search this thread), but it still won't pass DTS unfortunately.

thanks. After loads of thread searching, it looks like I'm buying a Harmony remote tomorrow. From what I gather all the harmony's can be programmed to access the EZ menu? (I'll probably get the 650)

For those who have done it, what will I hope to gain by turning on the THX 3D mode? Is it worth it?
penone's Avatar penone
06:32 PM Liked: 10
post #5695 of 8257
11-20-2011 | Posts: 196
Thanks everyone for the great posts. Has anyone gamed via a htpc and can comment on the lag? Does the PC label trick work?
07:15 PM Liked: 10
post #5696 of 8257
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotaxi View Post

thanks. After loads of thread searching, it looks like I'm buying a Harmony remote tomorrow. From what I gather all the harmony's can be programmed to access the EZ menu? (I'll probably get the 650)

For those who have done it, what will I hope to gain by turning on the THX 3D mode? Is it worth it?

I used a Harmony 520, but any should work. THX isn't a 3D mode; just a set of two picture setting presets that are THX calibrated. They're a little too dark and desaturated for my taste.
Ashmanarion's Avatar Ashmanarion
08:44 PM Liked: 10
post #5697 of 8257
11-20-2011 | Posts: 44
I got the deal from Amazon yesterday for the 47in. 5600. It's replacing a Samsung LN40A650 which has done great. This will be my first 3D tv and the wife is not really a fan of 3D.

I've read a lot of this thread and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction because I don't have time to read over 100 more pages. Are the best settings still the one on Page 8? I'm not too worried, but how is the input lag for gaming? Did anyone who bought this TV from Amazon have Home Direct deliver it?

Thanks for any help. I'm really looking forward to this new tv.
TheGoatLantern's Avatar TheGoatLantern
08:47 PM Liked: 10
post #5698 of 8257
11-20-2011 | Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrykewy View Post

I used a Harmony 520, but any should work. THX isn't a 3D mode; just a set of two picture setting presets that are THX calibrated. They're a little too dark and desaturated for my taste.

There is a THX cinema 3D mode that can be unlocked via EZ adjust menu.
07:22 AM Liked: 10
post #5699 of 8257
11-21-2011 | Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post

There is a THX cinema 3D mode that can be unlocked via EZ adjust menu.

Oh! Thanks for clarifying. Guess it's just not in the 5300, or at least not that I've seen. I just have a "cinema" option under 3D.
ironrogue's Avatar ironrogue
10:20 AM Liked: 10
post #5700 of 8257
11-21-2011 | Posts: 12
I'm simply amazed at the amount of support I've gotten for such a seemingly simple question...
Tags: Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Infinia 55lw5600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

Gear in this thread
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread