Forum Jump: 

post #6211 of 8249 Old 12-14-2011, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by akedwa View Post

Joshua - I too got my LG (5300) from Amazon and looked at the bezel and there is a gap all along the panel but I suspect that's typical of LED's. However, my 32" Vizio plasma does not have this gap.

Was your issue the same as mine?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...1&postcount=31

I am considering replacing the 5300 for a 5600 with its higher Contrast Ratio8:1 vs 4:1.

My issue was similar, but mine is much worse at the lower left only. If the backlight is turned to a reasonable level I don't see any flashlight except at the lower left. On mine there is only a very small gap if any around most of the screen, but the bezel bows and there is about 1/8" gap along a 8-10" portion near the lower left.

I'll update this when my replacement tv arrives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 8249 Old 12-14-2011, 03:51 PM

does anyone else use the DVR function with a usb HDD?

reason i ask.. i had set a schedule to record a show while i was playing my xbox thru RGB.. when the time came for the show to start to record... time machine asked me to switch to the channel or stop recording.. thus it wouldnt record while i was playing.. thats kinda dumb.. it will record with the tv off but it wont record in the background while i am using another input.. i tested it while using an HDMI port and it will ask you to switch over to the channel or stop the scheduled recording..

another thing.. does this tv do picture in picture? i haven't seen anything mentioned about that..
post #6213 of 8249 Old 12-14-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtlm View Post

The TV codes are 5 digits. The manual that comes with it has 5 digit codes for everything, and it includes the 11265 code under LG TVs.

Well, despite being advertised as compatible, the RCR4258N doesn't seem to be working for me. I guess I may technically have the RCR4258, but the model # on Amazon stated it was the RCR4258N, just like your RCR3273 stated it's the RCR3273N. However, my codes are 4 digits, not 5. I've tried every one of the optional codes, and while I'm able to pair the remote with the TV, the Guide button just doesn't do anything.

Is there a particular screen (Setup menu?) or Input I need to be on, or should the Guide button pull up the service menu from anywhere?
post #6214 of 8249 Old 12-14-2011, 04:46 PM

attack of the show reviewed the lw5600 real quick lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNAuiP2iP1s
post #6215 of 8249 Old 12-14-2011, 06:40 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brpc View Post

reason i ask.. i had set a schedule to record a show while i was playing my xbox thru RGB.. when the time came for the show to start to record... time machine asked me to switch to the channel or stop recording.. thus it wouldnt record while i was playing.. thats kinda dumb.. it will record with the tv off but it wont record in the background while i am using another input.. i tested it while using an HDMI port and it will ask you to switch over to the channel or stop the scheduled recording..

another thing.. does this tv do picture in picture? i haven't seen anything mentioned about that..

I've seen this brought up before, how does it act like a DVR?? Do you have to get a separate LG App??

Already have comcast HD DVR but it would be nice to add to it for a personal permanent collection of HD.

Also what format is it recorded with and could you take the HDD and watch the shows on another none LG TV???

I'm not real happy with my comcast box as it won't put out a 16:9/480i format out from the S-Video or the composite video for my DVD Recorder/VCR. Which makes me have to setup a separate recording on a none HD channel to get a 4:3 with out letterboxing. Otherwise, I get black bars on all 4 sides since this stupid TV won't do a 4:3 Letterbox zoom. I'm really upset at this! If situations were different, I'd exchange it for another just for that reason as my comcast recordings on DVD are all 4:3 letterboxed. An update is coming as a notification popped up on the TV, so I'm hoping that LG will include the 4:3 letterbox ratio zoom that's on their lower end LED TV and Plasmas!
post #6216 of 8249 Old 12-14-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaS View Post

My issue was similar, but mine is much worse at the lower left only. If the backlight is turned to a reasonable level I don't see any flashlight except at the lower left. On mine there is only a very small gap if any around most of the screen, but the bezel bows and there is about 1/8" gap along a 8-10" portion near the lower left.

I'll update this when my replacement tv arrives.

With local dimming turned off, I have bad clouding and the black level on a solid black screen is as bright as a lower end CCFL LCD TV. But with any type of local dimming, the clouding completely disappears. As you select local dimming from low to high, the blacks get darker.

I have very very minimum flashlighting/clouding, I consider them the same as they are caused by the same thing. When this condition happens, where a black letterbox bar lightens up near a brighter centered object, it's usually short lived and hardly noticeable. It has gotten a lot better after using the TV for a while. It's really a none issue now. I have my local dimming set at high, motion off, and backlight set at 63, picture set at 86, brightness at 50, and color at 55.

Since the clouding and flashlighting is so good with local dimming activated and so poor with it deactivated, I have to believe this TV was designed to be used with local dimming all the time. With local dimming off, the clouding and flashlighting may be worse than other TV without local dimming, but as I said, I always use local dimming and it's got deeper, more solid blacks that any LCD I've seen and even some plasmas.
post #6217 of 8249 Old 12-14-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

With local dimming turned off, I have bad clouding and the black level on a solid black screen is as bright as a lower end CCFL LCD TV. But with any type of local dimming, the clouding completely disappears. As you select local dimming from low to high, the blacks get darker.

I have very very minimum flashlighting/clouding, I consider them the same as they are caused by the same thing. When this condition happens, where a black letterbox bar lightens up near a brighter centered object, it's usually short lived and hardly noticeable. It has gotten a lot better after using the TV for a while. It's really a none issue now. I have my local dimming set at high, motion off, and backlight set at 63, picture set at 86, brightness at 50, and color at 55.

Since the clouding and flashlighting is so good with local dimming activated and so poor with it deactivated, I have to believe this TV was designed to be used with local dimming all the time. With local dimming off, the clouding and flashlighting may be worse than other TV without local dimming, but as I said, I always use local dimming and it's got deeper, more solid blacks that any LCD I've seen and even some plasmas.

Very nice Optin then, this LD...

So this may very well have the same affect on other LED LCD's with the same technology then...? Cool!
post #6218 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Why is this surprising you? Recording the show requires the use of video processing board, I don't think this TV has capability to process more than one video stream, I don't even think it has PIP.
And since in most models you need to turn it on in secret menu, I'm not even sure it supposed to work at all?

Quote:

post #6219 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post

Have you checked to make sure that your Audio through HDMI didn't get turned off or switched somehow? I know that it sounds simple but I always start with the simple things first through my POE (Process of Elimination)...

Maybe Check to see if your Default Audio Device is still your HDMI Audio and not "Speakers" or SPDIF or something... Jus trying to help you brainstorm...

It was set to HDMI audio with my old TV, but I'll double check. Not sure if that'll help though as I'm not even getting video.
post #6220 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 08:35 AM

Why do most calibrations suggest to turn OFF local dimming?

What is the drawback of it?
post #6221 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have had the 55lw5600 since April. I found an RCR3273 remote to use for accessing the service menu, but the remote only uses 4 digit number codes rather than the 5 digit code listed a few pages earlier.

Is there 2 different versions of this remote?

Does someone have a link to the exact remote, or a part numberfor the remote that actually works for accessing the service menu on this TV?

Thanks,
ERIC
post #6222 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 09:00 AM

There is an RCR3273N that has the five digit codes. It looks to me like all of the RCA 'N' versions have the 5 digit codes and work. I bought what I thought was going to be the RCR4258N but was the RCR4258 4 digit version and it didn't work.

Here is a list of remotes that work.
post #6223 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 AM

HELP!

I messed with the White Balance Settings in the EZ Menu and now my TV is just a a snowy screen with noise.

Anyone know what to do?

Thanks!
post #6224 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

You didn't read the warnings? The same website that has all the info on accessing the service menu has also recovery procedures. Don't have direct link at the moment.
post #6225 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 10:30 AM

I must have not read it carefully. I was using the "GUIDE" button to exit the sub-menus after making a change. Is there another way to do so? I am using the RCA RCR3273 remote.

I can't find the recovery instructions...please send the link when you have a chance.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4 View Post

You didn't read the warnings? The same website that has all the info on accessing the service menu has also recovery procedures. Don't have direct link at the moment.

post #6226 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
dang, i swore i wouldn't go 3D yet but i'm cavin. i have a Sony 55A3000 and LOVE it. hate to ditch it now. just got new bulb lol.
has 3D come far enough to switch now? i've not seen much content that i cared for, cept a few vid games. most times at the theater i get headaches. anyway, few questions...

looking at the 55LW5600. good prices it seems. is it a really good TV or would spending twice that get me a much better tv? i read the active 3d gives many headaches.

is the 5600 much better than the 5300? because the bundle on 5300 and 3D blu-ray player seems nice. but i have a PS3 blu-ray. do i really need a 3D blu player to watch discs in 3d? i read that the 5600 converts ALL signals to 3D, so wouldn't anything i played in the PS3 come out 3D anyway, even without a 3d bluray player?
i have my PC hooked to my Sony 55" (with HDMI cord) as a big monitor for pc games. would the 5600 or 5300 show PC games in 3D?

answers much appreciated folks!! Happy Holidays!
post #6227 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

One is right here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1225883
I have no idea if it works, I just saved it for future in case I brick mine.
There might be easier ways and there is factory reset under secret menu, but don't do anything else until you get some confirmation from people who already did something like that. Few members claimed they recovered their sets, would be best to contact them.
post #6228 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

PS3 is one of better 3D players, you just need to update software.
3D LG models like LW5600 and LW5300 can upconvert 2D video to 3D and it looks much better than most people expect, but it's not real 3D, some mistakes are visible, it's probably like converting 480i to 1080p, looks better, but it's not the same. There is substantial input lag when processing 3D, doesn't matter when watching TV, but playing games especially fast paced one could be painful.
LW5600 is smart TV (direct internet access), comes with 2nd pointing remote control, LW5300 doesn't have those but comes with inexpensive 3D BR. I believe both use s-ips panels and have similar capabilities. There could be different number of HDMI inputs 3/4 and I think rated contrast ratio is different, but IMO that is becoming meaningless.
You really would have to come to the store and play with the set to see for yourself, if 3D is worth it for you, since that's probably only big difference between it and your Sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookeylama View Post

dang, i swore i wouldn't go 3D yet but i'm cavin. i have a Sony 55A3000 and LOVE it. hate to ditch it now. just got new bulb lol.
has 3D come far enough to switch now? i've not seen much content that i cared for, cept a few vid games. most times at the theater i get headaches. anyway, few questions...

looking at the 55LW5600. good prices it seems. is it a really good TV or would spending twice that get me a much better tv? i read the active 3d gives many headaches.

is the 5600 much better than the 5300? because the bundle on 5300 and 3D blu-ray player seems nice. but i have a PS3 blu-ray. do i really need a 3D blu player to watch discs in 3d? i read that the 5600 converts ALL signals to 3D, so wouldn't anything i played in the PS3 come out 3D anyway, even without a 3d bluray player?
i have my PC hooked to my Sony 55" (with HDMI cord) as a big monitor for pc games. would the 5600 or 5300 show PC games in 3D?

post #6229 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookeylama View Post

I love my 55LW5600, but I didn't buy it for the 3D. Once I had it, I did buy a 3D Blu-Ray player and do enjoy 3D content once in awhile.

I don't know the difference between the 5300 & 5600, so you need to look elsewhere for that answer, but I do know that I've been completely satisfied with the 1080p 2D picture. I have a brightly lit room so I was looking for a TV that could handle that and needed a matte screen to avoid reflections. I think that if you have a dark viewing room you might be less satisfied, or at least could find a TV better suited for that situation.

My understanding is that the PS3 will output 3D with a firmware upgrade. The TV will simulate 3D from 2D sources, but it's no substitute for the real thing. For real 3D you must have a 3D Blu-Ray player, 3D source material, highspeed HDMI connection, and a 3D TV.

Also, keep in mind that the 3D on this TV is passive and doesn't suffer from the same problems that active 3D does. The tradeoff is that some people feel there is a loss of perceived resolution in 3D mode. I'll take passive 3D over active 3D any day of the week. Cheap, lightweight glasses make the experience MUCH better.

The passive 3D on this LG TV works just like at the movie theater, and indeed, you can bring home the glasses from a RealD3D movie and they'll work at home.
post #6230 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 11:44 AM

my first tv had very bad flashlighting. Amazon sent me another one and I think its even worse on this TV!!! I dont know what do, I got a really good deal on it and dont really want a refund (( Anyone have settings to help with flashlighting?
post #6231 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 PM

First, please do yourself a favor and buy from amazon. I am on my third 55lw5600 and amazon has been incredibly helpful. First one had smudges inside the LCD panel, second one had terrible clouding. This third one I currently have has none of those issues but motion blur is killing me. I have good hdmi cable, tried labeling input as PC, and game mode. Simple things like a person getting up from couch blurs his/her face. Simple pan like a person walking around the kitchen blurs the background objects.

Turning trumotion does help, however, then everything looks unnatural and I see half a second jitters/distortion prior to trumotion kicking in.

Any help is appreciated.
post #6232 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

What exactly is flashlighting? Is it like a little brighter screen in the corners when screen is totally black? I see a little bit of this on mine, when there is no input signal, it goes away when playing a movie even with similar dark screen. I would speculate backlight dimming is NOT ON, when there is no signal, therefore backlight is on max and this becomes little visible in dark room, when movie is playing backlight dimming is ON and I have hard time see this at all. Since I never watch movies in darkness (I just did few tests to see WTH people are talking about) I didn't even notice it, until read about it. I would assume some sets would have this more than others (would this be some sort of assembly issue, when parts don't align exactly and therefore light leaks out?) and some people may be more sensitive to it also. Some member claimed he improved this issue by evenly re tightening back screws, apparently one side was too tight, warping whole assembly and letting too much light to leak.
YDMV
post #6233 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 12:17 PM

I am purchasing this TV and wondering if it supports ARC. I hope I can just run 1 HDMI cable to it for everything and not have to run optical out to my receiver.

Thanks,
post #6234 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorrow View Post

I am purchasing this TV and wondering if it supports ARC. I hope I can just run 1 HDMI cable to it for everything and not have to run optical out to my receiver.

Thanks,

Yes it does on HDMI 1.
post #6235 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_dew View Post

Is there a particular screen (Setup menu?) or Input I need to be on, or should the Guide button pull up the service menu from anywhere?

The service menu will come up from anywhere

Quote:

I've seen this brought up before, how does it act like a DVR?? Do you have to get a separate LG App??

Already have comcast HD DVR but it would be nice to add to it for a personal permanent collection of HD.

Also what format is it recorded with and could you take the HDD and watch the shows on another none LG TV???

I'm not real happy with my comcast box as it won't put out a 16:9/480i format out from the S-Video or the composite video for my DVD Recorder/VCR. Which makes me have to setup a separate recording on a none HD channel to get a 4:3 with out letterboxing. Otherwise, I get black bars on all 4 sides since this stupid TV won't do a 4:3 Letterbox zoom. I'm really upset at this! If situations were different, I'd exchange it for another just for that reason as my comcast recordings on DVD are all 4:3 letterboxed. An update is coming as a notification popped up on the TV, so I'm hoping that LG will include the 4:3 letterbox ratio zoom that's on their lower end LED TV and Plasmas!

The built-in DVR will not be for you. From what I understand it will only do OTA channels, and it sounds like you have cable. It is stored in a proprietary format that only the TV will read. There's no guide, just manual recording settings. Also, when it is recording, you can't do anything else. You really need to call you cable company and upgrade to an HD cable box/dvr. You may as well be recording the non-HD channels anyway because you aren't getting HD if you are outputting through s-video.

EDIT: It looks like you are saying that you have an HD DVR from comcast, but you say you are outputting in s-video. Get an HDMI cable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx250r87 View Post

I have had the 55lw5600 since April. I found an RCR3273 remote to use for accessing the service menu, but the remote only uses 4 digit number codes rather than the 5 digit code listed a few pages earlier.

Is there 2 different versions of this remote?

Does someone have a link to the exact remote, or a part numberfor the remote that actually works for accessing the service menu on this TV?

Thanks,
ERIC

It is possible there are different versions of this remote. I ordered the one from amazon from the link below. Under the product details it says that the model number is RCR3273N even though the title doesn't have the N. However, when I received it, the model number on the bottom right of the package said RCR3273R. The remote was only $5 when I ordered it, and it was sold directly by Amazon, not a 3rd party.

http://www.amazon.com/Device-Univers...dp/B000N2MW5G/
post #6236 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:

The service menu will come up from anywhere

The built-in DVR will not be for you. From what I understand it will only do OTA channels, and it sounds like you have cable. It is stored in a proprietary format that only the TV will read. There's no guide, just manual recording settings. Also, when it is recording, you can't do anything else. You really need to call you cable company and upgrade to an HD cable box/dvr. You may as well be recording the non-HD channels anyway because you aren't getting HD if you are outputting through s-video.

EDIT: It looks like you are saying that you have an HD DVR from comcast, but you say you are outputting in s-video. Get an HDMI cable!

I use the HDMI cable to view and I use the S-Video cable to record to my DVD Recorder. Comcast doesn't output 4:3 in Anamorphic but in a 4:3 letterbox and I have 4 black bars on all sides. It sucks since our TVs don't have a zoom for 4:3 to size the letterbox picture to our screens. I'm seriously considering returning this as a call to LG produced a person who could speak english and didn't know what he or I, was talking about.
post #6237 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 102
light spillage on lower left hand corner, only visible on dark scenes. how common is this? should i return it and do a swap? just trying to get a grip on how common this is or to determine if mine is defective. i can press on the screen and it disipates, but as soon as i let go it comes back

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #6238 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:

I use the HDMI cable to view and I use the S-Video cable to record to my DVD Recorder. Comcast doesn't output 4:3 in Anamorphic but in a 4:3 letterbox and I have 4 black bars on all sides. It sucks since our TVs don't have a zoom for 4:3 to size the letterbox picture to our screens. I'm seriously considering returning this as a call to LG produced a person who could speak english and didn't know what he or I, was talking about.

What's wrong with cinema zoom? I have an option under ratio for cinema zoom that lets me manually set how much zoom, and vertical positioning. It's available in TV, HDMI, and component for me. I don't have anything hooked up to composit to test

Recording to DVD is really not a great way to archive your media. Who wants to deal with physical media? Time to go media center PC.
post #6239 of 8249 Old 12-15-2011, 08:54 PM
aod
Advanced Member

Quote:

attack of the show reviewed the lw5600 real quick lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNAuiP2iP1s

That chick should do a little homework. It is not an Insignia nor should the youtube title be Insignia. She kept calling it an Insignia. At least he called it right with Infinia.

post #6240 of 8249 Old 12-16-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:

What's wrong with cinema zoom?

The Cinema Zoom on this TV stretches the picture horizontally. OldSchoolMETAL wants a feature (that is available on every other HD TV I've ever seen) that uniformly expands the picture both horizontally and vertically so that a window-boxed (letterboxed 4:3 picture) fills the screen without changing the aspect ratio or distorting the source material.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Infinia 55lw5600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page