Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - Page 213 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6361 of 8249 Old 12-24-2011, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've recently received a 47LW5700 and I am a disappointed so far. I really hope their is a solution to the way the image speeds up at times and doesn't look proper (almost too natural). I can handle the too natural look, but its the speed up of the image (if thats how others might describe it). Is their a feature that can be enabled or disabled to correct this? Its very frustrating having a new TV and it falling short of expectations. Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 8249 Old 12-24-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinbot View Post

I've recently received a 47LW5700 and I am a disappointed so far. I really hope their is a solution to the way the image speeds up at times and doesn't look proper (almost too natural). I can handle the too natural look, but its the speed up of the image (if thats how others might describe it). Is their a feature that can be enabled or disabled to correct this? Its very frustrating having a new TV and it falling short of expectations. Please help

Setup Menu -> Picture Setup -> TruMotion -> Off

... You should really read through the thread first ; )... TV has so much features and potential
post #6363 of 8249 Old 12-25-2011, 08:15 AM
jzw

Does anyone have problems with the LG BD645 blue ray player that comes with the TV? The TV is gorgeous after calibrated using the settings in post #2405. However the blue ray movies look far worse than HD TV programs that are recorded in 720P. The pictures look way too grainy from blue ray movies. They almost look like still photos shot in high ISO. The skin tone is so bad, it almost looks like everyone in the movies has freckles all over their bodies. Unfortunately, this is my first hdtv and blue ray player. So I don't know if it is normal or not. Interestingly, when I watched bolt 3d, i didn't see that issue at all. Maybe because it is a cartoon movie? And movie menus are fine too. I kinda eliminated the issue by lowering sharpening to 10 or 0. But then the pictures are too soft. There is also another issue with the player. It is able to recognize cd, dvd, and some blue ray discs on first try. But most blue ray movies I tried would be rejected the first time and only be recognized the second or third time. In an extreme case, it tried 6 or 7 time on "Alice in Wonderland". It seems that it is not able to recognize a disc if there is a lot of content on it.

Since this is my first blue ray player, I have no idea what to expect. Can someone comment on the two issues I mentioned I above? Thanks!
post #6364 of 8249 Old 12-25-2011, 08:34 AM

Liked: 12
Hi,
If I try using the calibrations as outlined in post #2405 and do not like the way it looks to me, is there a way to reverse this ?

Is there maybe something to reset it back to the factory settings ?

If it makes any difference, I have the 55/6500.

Thank's,

COMPUTIAC

post #6365 of 8249 Old 12-25-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvasd View Post

Setup Menu -> Picture Setup -> TruMotion -> Off

... You should really read through the thread first ; )... TV has so much features and potential

I do deserve a kick in the a$$ for not reading through, but with kids running around high on Christmas time adrenaline, finding patience to read through 6000+ posts simply did not exist.

After seeing a few comments lower than mine "The TV is gorgeous after calibrated using the settings in post #2405", I will definitely make sure to look at that one. Any other reference posts newbie's should check out?
post #6366 of 8249 Old 12-25-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post

So how do I turn off the option that tells me another video source is available when I turn on another video device? I do not want this popup when I turn on my blu-ray player cause I use it for audio as well

So anyone know how to do this? I've posted this on the lw6500 topic as well and got no answers either.
post #6367 of 8249 Old 12-25-2011, 02:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post

So how do I turn off the option that tells me another video source is available when I turn on another video device? I do not want this popup when I turn on my blu-ray player cause I use it for audio as well

Mine used to do this and has stopped. I assumed a firmware upgrade changed it. Are you on the latest firmware?
post #6368 of 8249 Old 12-25-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

I had my unit professionally calibrated (ISF) by a guy that's been in the broadcasting biz for 4 decades. I sat there while he did it. He had a lot of positive things to say about this model. He had a negative experience trying to calibrate a Panny plasma the previous day -- the VT-30.

Aspect ratio: Just Scan
Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Expert [1 or 2]
Backlight: 40
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 54
H Sharpness: 55
V Sharpness: 55
Color: 52
Tint: 0
TruMotion: Off
LED Local Dimming: High

--Expert control menu
Dynamic contrast: Off
Noise reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Black level: Low
Real Cinema: On
Color Gamut: BT709
Edge Enhancer: Off
xvYCC: Auto [grayed out]
Expert Pattern: Off [grayed out]
Color Filter: Off

Color Temperature: Medium
Gamma: 1.9

Method: 2 Points
Pattern: Outer

Red Contrast: -13
Green Contrast: 11
Blue Contrast: -23
Red Brightness: -1
Green Brightness: 0
Blue Brightness and all others: 0

what are your 3D settings
post #6369 of 8249 Old 12-25-2011, 03:23 PM

I have narrowed my selection to three TVs, including this set. I have amazon prime and was wondering if there was an amazon app for this TV so I could watch movies/tv shows from amazon on demand on this tv? Also, does this tv have a youtube app?

I appreciate the help.
post #6370 of 8249 Old 12-25-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flex727 View Post

Mine used to do this and has stopped. I assumed a firmware upgrade changed it. Are you on the latest firmware?

Yes latest firmware and it is still doing it
post #6371 of 8249 Old 12-25-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djneph View Post

I have narrowed my selection to three TVs, including this set. I have amazon prime and was wondering if there was an amazon app for this TV so I could watch movies/tv shows from amazon on demand on this tv? Also, does this tv have a youtube app?

I appreciate the help.

It does have both Amazon and youtube apps but IMO they both are pretty slow to interact with. I'm not on prime though so not sure if tha would make a difference but trying to get to the free episodes in amazon took a long time.
post #6372 of 8249 Old 12-25-2011, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post

Hi,
If I try using the calibrations as outlined in post #2405 and do not like the way it looks to me, is there a way to reverse this ?

Is there maybe something to reset it back to the factory settings ?

If it makes any difference, I have the 55/6500.

Happy Holidays from my family to you COMPUTIAC! Yeah, I tried those settings as well and they didn't do much for me either. As a matter-of-fact I've tried a number of settings! It wasn't until I came upon the THX Bright setting located else-where in this massive thread that I finally said to myself, ''This looks good!'' Since then I've modified these settings a little and this is what I came up with...
Backlight 46
Contrast 85
Brightness 49
H Sharp 60
V Sharp 60
Color 53
Tint 0

In the Advanced column..
Dynamic Contrast Off
Noise Reduction Low
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Super Resolution Off
Black Level Low
Real Cinema On
Color Gamut Standard
Edge Enhancement Off
Color Filter Off
Color Temperature Medium
Gamma 1.9
Method 10 Point IRE
IRE 100
Luminance 200
True Motion High (I happen to like the SOE!!!)
LED Local Dimming Medium
Aspect Ratio Just Scan

Needless to say that YMMV depending upon those senior eyes (!), your environment and of course that all-important ''personal preference.'' Anyway, try those settings in Expert 1 or 2 and let me know what you think!
post #6373 of 8249 Old 12-25-2011, 07:18 PM

Hi abba1, Happy Holidays from me to you and yours.

Actually I was in no hurry to try the #2405 settings, it was just that there was so much talk about them I thought I might try them but wanted a way out just in case.

Now the THX settings you speak of require the use of the cheap remote ?

To tell you the truth, I'm still kinda happy with the original settings out of the box. Finally have the Pioneer receiver going good, there is still a lot to learn about it and the many functions. Tomorrow I will finish with having a working remote keyboard for it. By next weekend will have the PC connected via HDMI cable, waiting on parts from Newegg and Monoprice.

How do you have your Pioneer connected ? HDMI from cable box to HDMI 1 on the receiver, then from the Out of the receiver to the TV HDMI 1 also ?

Also I have a Roku XDS where did you input this on the receiver ?

Thank's,

COMPUTIAC

post #6374 of 8249 Old 12-25-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Hi abba1, Happy Holidays from me to you and yours.

Actually I was in no hurry to try the #2405 settings, it was just that there was so much talk about them I thought I might try them but wanted a way out just in case.

Now the THX settings you speak of require the use of the cheap remote ?

To tell you the truth, I'm still kinda happy with the original settings out of the box. Finally have the Pioneer receiver going good, there is still a lot to learn about it and the many functions. Tomorrow I will finish with having a working remote keyboard for it. By next weekend will have the PC connected via HDMI cable, waiting on parts from Newegg and Monoprice.

How do you have your Pioneer connected ? HDMI from cable box to HDMI 1 on the receiver, then from the Out of the receiver to the TV HDMI 1 also ?

Also I have a Roku XDS where did you input this on the receiver ?

I had to dig out my notes on the THX Brightness settings. No, you really don't need a cheap remote. I just copied the THX settings from the 6500 thread. The post is 943. My connection is the same as yours'. When I had the Roku I plugged in to the HDMI 2 port.
post #6375 of 8249 Old 12-26-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djneph View Post

I appreciate the help.

I have Amazon prime and it works great, but I use an LG LHB536 HTIB that is connected to my 55LW5600 to do my streaming. I would think the application is about the same since they are both LG products.
post #6376 of 8249 Old 12-26-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abba1 View Post

I had to dig out my notes on the THX Brightness settings. No, you really don't need a cheap remote. I just copied the THX settings from the 6500 thread. The post is 943. My connection is the same as yours'. When I had the Roku I plugged in to the HDMI 2 port.

You are referring to the HDMI 2 on the receiver, correct ?

Have you ever tried PLEX or know of someone who has ?

Thank's,

COMPUTIAC

post #6377 of 8249 Old 12-26-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:

You are referring to the HDMI 2 on the receiver, correct ?

1. Yep.
2. Afraid I can't help you there.
post #6378 of 8249 Old 12-26-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzw View Post

Does anyone have problems with the LG BD645 blue ray player that comes with the TV? The TV is gorgeous after calibrated using the settings in post #2405. However the blue ray movies look far worse than HD TV programs that are recorded in 720P. The pictures look way too grainy from blue ray movies. They almost look like still photos shot in high ISO. The skin tone is so bad, it almost looks like everyone in the movies has freckles all over their bodies. Unfortunately, this is my first hdtv and blue ray player. So I don't know if it is normal or not. Interestingly, when I watched bolt 3d, i didn't see that issue at all. Maybe because it is a cartoon movie? And movie menus are fine too. I kinda eliminated the issue by lowering sharpening to 10 or 0. But then the pictures are too soft. There is also another issue with the player. It is able to recognize cd, dvd, and some blue ray discs on first try. But most blue ray movies I tried would be rejected the first time and only be recognized the second or third time. In an extreme case, it tried 6 or 7 time on "Alice in Wonderland". It seems that it is not able to recognize a disc if there is a lot of content on it.

Since this is my first blue ray player, I have no idea what to expect. Can someone comment on the two issues I mentioned I above? Thanks!

A lot depends on how the blue-ray disc is encoded and the age of the source material. Full 1080p resolution is sharp enough to actually reveal film grain so in some cases what you are seeing could be correct. The cartoon comes from a computer generated source so no film grain there. The rejecting of the discs is a cause for concern. It shouldn't do that. I would get a replacement player if it's still under warranty.
post #6379 of 8249 Old 12-26-2011, 01:11 PM

I was hoping to get some clarification as to the differences between the LW5600 and LW5700 models.

I got the LW5700 at Costco (46") and I'm very happy with it. I'm wondering how much of this thread applies to my LW5700 set. From what I can tell the LW5700 seems to be almost exactly the same, except that it's a special model number for Costco/Sams/Canada.

Some say it doesn't include dimming, but another fellow said that when he unlocked the service menu, that local dimming was already turned on. Others have said it's a clearer picture than the LW5600. So I'm a little confused. Any clarification would be appreciated.
post #6380 of 8249 Old 12-26-2011, 01:55 PM

Nice. I'm chomping at the bit to get a new set.
post #6381 of 8249 Old 12-26-2011, 02:44 PM

This post is too darn long but ......

This is a great TV- I moved up from a 32" dell, that was half again the cost- what a difference. I have seen quite a few posts about different quality showing 480i, 720p etc- With my cable system this auto selected with the input- there is nothing to adjust- look to your input rather than the TV- My HD channels are 1080i and sd 720p- dvd/bluray 1080p-

Starting with calibration- I love the THX bright room- all I need for normal viewing- cinema mode for netflix- I just made it brighter

Almost all calibrations have tru motion turned OFF- I just figure there is a reason for this and can go with the flow-

When calibrating watch out for extreme's if your numbers are way higher or lower then you may be asking for a poor picture- (except maybe contrast)

Sports- still using THX- everything looks great- I didnt see anything I liked about sports or game modes for watching tv.

Grayed out options are that way because they are dependant upon some other feature/input- there is nothing wrong with the set- they are just a part of a bigger subsystem-

There is NO reason to buy $150 HDMI cable- Yeah that was the full retail price of the one I was pitched- this is easy to research- If they are as great as the salesman suggests, even a requirement!!! then why doesnt THEIR store use them? Its easy to google- websites like cnet and PC mag will tell you its hogwash and buy a hispeed cable at monoprice or amazon.....mine came from monoprice.

What follows is intended for you new guys, it's yet another comPILEation from this immense thread- This was brought on by more references to post 2405 about calibration. I was also looking for something else- so its for my own future use too- First of all the 'calibration' post is only halfway calibrated- they dont give the 2 point/10 point ire numbers- so just half a cal-
I have also added ezmenu and info for gamers- didnt do sound systems because they vary and I dont have have one.

Here is a bunch of different stuff- mostly cut/paste-

Calibration: best post-

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj12 View Post

OK Guys. Major info dump coming. I just combed through post 2867 in this thread. This is every post or piece of info that has to do with calibrating the set. I am getting the LW5600 next week but wanted to be ready to go once it arrived. Again, this is in no particular order and just pertinent pieces of calibration info. Some of it is from this thread and some of it is from links within the thread. Good luck:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=226
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=230
http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...alibration.htm
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-530317.html > Whites looked too yellow. I changed the backlight to 75 and changed the color mode from Warm to Medium and it looks better. Another user says I'm using CNET's with the Backlight set at 65 and the Color Temperature set to Medium.)
http://www.hometheater.com/content/l...-hdtv-settings
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2388
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2485
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2851

ISF Calibrated: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2405

Quote:
If you go to Input > Input Labels (green button), label whichever device you are having issues with as "PC", and the input lag will vanish, regardless what picture or AV mode you are in. having it on PC does blank out some settings.

Quote:
I just switched my settings from 16:9 to "just scan". I can see a noticable Improvement in PQ. This tv gets better and better as i dial it in. Thats normal and correct. 16x9 creates overscan, which is best used when watching cable/sat programming that introduces additional information(usually at the top of the screen)which isnt meant to be seen. just scan is 1:1, which displays the picture without any scaling

Quote:
Real Cinema is greyed out if your input source is not 1080
Real Cinema will be selectable if your input source is 1080

Quote:
Contrast: 94
Brightness: 55
Color: 53
Tint: G2
Gamma: 2.2, 2-point
Black Level: Low
Color Gamut: Standard
Color Temp: Warm

Quote:
100IRE: -10, -5, 0
90IRE: 3, 2, 5
80IRE: 15, 9, 10
70IRE: 19, 12, 15
60IRE: 23, 14, 19
50IRE: 20, 11, 15
40IRE: 16, 7, 10
30IRE: 12, 5, 8
20IRE: 8, 2, 5
10IRE: 1, -3, -3

BackLight: 30
Contrast: 84
Brightness: 48
Sharp H: 54
Sharp V: 53
Color 50

Quote:
Picture preset: Expert1
Backlight 35 (I set mine to 45)
Contrast 90
Brightness: 50
V/H Sharpness: 50
Color: 50
Tint 0
Dynamic Contrast Off
Noise Reduction Off
Mpeg noise reduction Off
Super resolution Off
Black level Low
Real Cinema Off
Color gamut Standard
Edge enhancer Off
xvYCC Auto
Color filter Off
Color temperature Warm
RGB Method 2 points
R contrast 0
G contrast -2
B contrast 1
R brightness -7
G brightness 20
B brightness 5
TruMotion On/Off
LED local dimming Off (I set mine to high)

Quote:
V-Sharpness is set at 55 for my ISF Expert Mode 1 calibration.

Bookmarking my own post for when I get the TV!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by anuj12; 07-18-11 at 08:56 AM..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bookmarking my own post for when I get the TV!

EZmenu Note to accomplish this on my tv I used my brighthouse remote and used the info from the radio shack remote- just changed 9-9-4 to 0056 to match my remote as per their instructions-

Dont brick your tv- be conservative and reccomend you dont change anything you dont fully understand-

page 192-

Burninh2o

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmyth1
Hi All

New member as well as new owner of a 47LW5700 and love to get all the bang for my buck. Finding this thread I joined the forum and believe it or not read all 190+ pages I found alot of repeat questions and kept hoping that someone would take all the cool titbits and put them into one post, since no one has I decided I would.

If possible, when people find things out or things I may have missed please add to it and make things easier for everyone else and people just hooking into this thread....just a suggestion. What follows is not my knowledge just what I copied and pasted into a txt document. I didn't think to credit each person who posted and Im too much of a lazy ass to go back. To all those who's words I pasted here...

Thank you so much your knowledge it is greatly appreciated!!

Secret Menu:

WTH is this Secret Hidden Menu??? (EZMenu) in a nutshell there is a hidden menu that allows the LG factory to turn on and off features using a 1 or 0 value. Quite a few of the LG TV's can perform some of the higher end model functions as the architecture is almost identical.

Is there a risk...well of course, but it is like overclocking your PC don't be a Jackass and only turn on the features you have seen others discussing for your particular model # and you'll be fine. Turn on everything and you get what you deserve "Hello LG can I get an RMA #"

All LG service techs have a specialized remote control to access this hidden menu and if you want you can buy this remote:

Service Remote:

www newtvremotes.com/Mfrs/Zenith/ZenithTV/105-201M.htm

If your a cheap ass like me you can buy a cheap Universal remote or use the Harmony Remotes (Personally I have the Harmony 880) either way the procedure for either is here:

Poor Mans Service Remote Procedure:

http openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.php/Access_hidden_service_menus_/_modes

Great Metal, so I went to the link, configured a remote, accessed the menu...now what?

As an example I own the 47LW5700 it's higher end brother model the 47LW5600 which has Local Dimming so by going into the menu and going to:

Password = 0413 or 0000 (use the original remote to navigate and enter values)

Option 1 goto> tool >change to lw56.

This will fool the set into thinking it is now an LW5600, Next:

Option2 goto> localdim menu =1 (This turns on the menu item)

Finally:

Option4 local dimming =1

For saftey and not to corrupt the firmware, after any change exit the menu (simply click the button you programmed to access the menu to bring you back out) wait 10 seconds, power off the TV and wait 20
seconds then power the TV back on...you have now basically turned the 5700 into the higher end 5600...cool eh?

Here some other very cool tweaks you can turn on:

Option3 thx & isf setting=1 (Adds the THX & ISF video mode like higher end models have. Not available on DLNA/MediaLink)

Option 5 Channel Browser Set to 1 to enable preview thumbnail grid of all channels, it may not work on US cable, noticed when enabled Korean words show up in the menu?

option5 or option 6 (depending on your specfic model) 3d thx=1

Word to the wise : DO NOT SELECT THX MEDIA DIRECTOR ON ANY LCD TV IT CAN DESTABILIZE YOUR TV IT'S USED ON PDP.I WOULD NOT LEAVE IT ON IF YOU'VE DONE SO.

3D:

Personally I love pop out 3D, to me that's what 3D is all about and also what made this TV so impressive. If in the above example you enabled THX 3D.....while watching a 3D movie hit the normal Quick Menu button you now have a 3D specific menu (Only available while 3D is active) Click Quick Menu, Click Set video, Scroll through pic mode(s) select "thx 3d"

As a starting point for 3D:

Picture mode: Standard
Backlight: 80
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 50
Color: 55
Color Temp: 0
Dynamic Contrast: Medium
Dynamic Color: High
Clear White: Off
Skin Color: 0
Noise Reduction: Low
Super Resolution: On
MPEG Noise Reduction: Low
Gamma: Medium
Eye Care: Off
Color Gamut: Wide
Tru Motion: Off
LED Local Dimming: Medium

change between Daytime & Nighttime viewing the key is "Backlight".

Night = 28
Day = 80-90

2D:

Picture Mode: Expert1
Backlight: 28
Contrast: 89
Brightness: 52
H Sharpness: 50
V Sharpness: 50
Color: 50
Expert Control

Dynamic Contrast: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Super Resolution Off
Color Gamut: BT709
Edge Enhancer Off
Color Temp: Warm
Gamma: 2.2
Method: 2-Point and 10-Point
Pattern: Outer
2-point
Contrast: Red -6, Green 0, Blue -34
Brightness: Red 2, Green 0, Blue 1
10-point
20IRE: Red -1, Green -1, Blue 0
30IRE: Red -1, Green 0, Blue -1
90IRE: Red -5, Green 0, Blue 0
100IRE: Red -9, Green 0, Blue 0
All Others: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0
Luminance All 130

CMS settings: Color Tint

Red 0 -3
Green -4 17
Blue 0 0
Yellow -17 -2
Cyan 0 0
Magenta 0 0

Sound:

Unfortunatley LG is too much of a cheap ass to pay DTS their licensing fee... so DTS does not get processed nor passed thru...it gets blocked. AC3 or Dolby Digital on the other hand can be passed thru to enable this:

EZ Adjust menu, scroll down to the "AC3 EDID D/L" menu item and press select on the remote.

A sub-menu will appear. You want to press select on the "Start" menu item. It will sequentially go through the list of inputs and enable AC3.

After it's done (takes seconds), it will say "OK". At that point, exit the menu (simply click the button you programmed to access the menu to bring you back out) wait 10 seconds, power off the TV and wait 20 seconds then power the TV back on.

For a small number of users AC3 playback using optical to a home theater amp they had to engage the audio sync option in the LG setup for a particular source, because the lip sync was off. In one report turning the sync all the way to the left to match the audio was the fix...again this doesn't happen to everyone.

Another reported fix is as follows:

For those of you having a lip sync problem or no luck passing ac3 after running the write on this ....try this:

A. unplug all cables from inputs..hdmi/optical etc...

B.erase the AC3 write to NG..goto AC3 EDID D/L >hit reset >see ng >unplug cables

C.re-write your AC3 EDID D/L ...WITH CABLES OUT! goto AC3 EDID D/L >hit start >verify ok >exit menu

D.IMPORTANT ...make sure any external device..ps3/set-top etc..is on before you reconnect the device ...I looked at the electrical schematics for this board it has a flash loader IC which needs to recognize 5 volts after writing to enable correctly, this does not always happen precisely when a cable is already connected..

Roll back firmware...

(From the standard remote)

Press Home
Choose Setup
Highlight the Option Menu...The tool kit icon should be highlighted
Press the 9 button 6 times
It will automatically rollback and reboot.

DVR:

This TV has build in DVR functionality...all you have to do is supply the external USB drive. Basic instructions:

As always to get the really cool stuff "EZ Adjust menu"

Option 3 goto> DVR Ready Set to 1 (this enables Time Machine for dvr like functions on USB just need an external usb drive (not a stick) on usb port 1

Plug in the drive...if it asks you if you want to use it, say no.
Then go to the home screen, with 2 right arrow clicks you get into screen with time machine app,

Enter in it and in it it shows new screen with prompt to start initialize process, you say OK and it formats drive - after that it becomes active but in that screen there is no scheduler/recorder - confusing.

Go into regular program view mode, press quick menu and in the bottom line it should show time machine app box - and when you enter it it will open up recording option, scheduler, etc. Under inputs you now will see your USB and clicking it will show time machine screen and you can play those recordings.

Note: If you pick up via OTA broadcasts it should work like a normal DVR, problem that I am having is my Digital cable box connects via HDMI and recording is prohibited via HDMI further if I try to use the Cable signal normally it prevents analoge recordings. It has been hinted that using the EZ menu to change the country code and group (DVR Function is enabled only for certain countries: FI, SV, N, DK, ES, RU, UA, KZ, LT, EE, LV, CZ.) that the HDMI restriction may be bypassed it is also stated this can brick your TV.

I am in Canada and I would be forever in your debt if you could tell me how to saftley bypass this HDMI restriction.

Advanced Tweaking:

The secret to stopping the pic from distortion,you have to go into the "white balance"
I believe in option 6 and change it to "med

To change the white temp with picture wizard and make it stick in your settings:

CANNOT MAKE IT STICK WITH EZ MENU THAT IS ONLY TO
ADJUST THE WHITE VALUE FOR PICTURE WIZARD..EG..RED,GREEN BLUE DRIVE. WHEN YOU GOTO EZ MENU YOU ADJUST HOW THE TEMP WILL BE DISPLAYED IN PIC WIZARD,i SAW ALOT OF RED SO I ADJUST RED DRIVE-CUTOFF AND NOW THAT'S THE WHITE I GET IN PIC WIZARD ON MEDIUM.

IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE WHITE IN EACH SUB CATAGORY IN EZ MENU YOU ADJUST THE DRIVE-CUTOFF THERE AND HIT "TO SET" TO CHANGE THE
WHITE VALUE YOU SEE ON THE SCREEN IN THE WHTE BALANCE OPTION IT THEN CHANGES THAT THE VALUE IN PIC WIZARD.

WHEN CHOOSING YOUR WHITE SETTING IN PIC WIZ GOTO THE PREFERRED OPTION AND CHOOSE MEDIUM THERE IT CHANGES THE ON SCREEN WHITE
TEMP,IT WILL ALWAYS DEFAULT TO COOL FIRST IN THE EZ MENU THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOUR PICTURE WHITE IS COOL IS IT WHATEVER YOU SET
IN THE WIZARD FOR VIEWING........IF YOU CHANGE THE CUTOFF OR DRIVE IN THE EZ MENU WRITE YOUR VALUES DOWN BEFORE CHANGING WHEN YOU
HIT "TO SET" THE EPROMM WRITES AND CHANGES IT FOREVER"

IF YOU EVER WANT TO REVERT TO FACTORY WHITE BALANCE YOU'LL HAVE THE ORIGINAL SETTINGS YOU CAN CHANGE THEM, AND RE-WRITE TO THE EPROMM.

The above post changes white for expert,standard etc..pic settings to change white in the thx mode here you go........................................

A.Set thx pic mode>when in thx and you see all greyed out hit 8741 on remote and the option are opened bright,contrast,advanced options

B.goto advanced options in thx mode

C.goto color temp in advanced options choose medium

D. The red is gone!

You can get into the sub b/c in the ez menu to address the contrast issue and if you use expert pic settings:

Goto advanced>yellow color yellow tint without having a color analyzer you can stand off angle and adjust them to rectify the yellow saturation use tint first! anyone using advanced should use bt709 gamut for an lcd make sure you use that if you use expert.

Luminance will need to be at least 150 it does vary according to the ambient light condition but 150 is a sure bet,if you want to use a standard pic setting
try the clear white(on) and skin color negative.I really would advise to enable your white setting in the pic wizard setting the white temp in the ez menu.

Turning it off can corrupt your software,then you have to take the back of the tv off and reset it on the motherboard......I would also recommend adjusting your pic settings on expert and kicking the yellow color -30 yellow tint-28 you'll have super clean white even @ an angle

General Info:

Real Cinema is not available for progressive scan content.

Some Cool resource material:

ttp 136.166.4.200/contents/Displays/LCDTV/47LW5600.htm

I hope that the above helps some of you out, if anyone ever comes across the trick to bypass the HDMI restriction for the built in DVR and the above post helped you out....who's your buddy?

~Metalmyth~
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gamers

The input you should use is HDMI3, Rename the input to PC, AV mode should be 'Game'

If lag then try rebooting the PC/console.---

Dual full screen playing- (If I understand what they are doing correctly-)

12-07-11, 06:36 PM #6050 | Link
Co_photg

Originally Posted by bodhi311
I have seen some youtube videos that state that this is working on other models. I would image it would work just fine on this model if that option was not greyed out. all they are doing is selecting the splitscreen 3d option and using glasses with 2 right lenses and another with 2 left lenses. I would like to try this but cant seem to enable the split screen 3d option. the only option that is available is the 2d->3d the others are greyed out. these options are available for say 3d movie playback but not when my xbox is hooked up.

How do you have your xbox hooked and what game are you trying to play. I have mine hooked up with hdmi and the options are not grayed when playing gears of war played it 3d last night pretty sweet. going to try modding some glasses and see if i can do full screen split screen like the video

DVR
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtlm
I enabled the DVR on my TV, but I don't see anything about time machine on my TV. I had a 5 year old LG TV that had a dvr built in, so I have all the buttons for fast forward, rewind, record etc. The guide button on the old remote doesn't bring anything up though. It will start recording if I press record. The recordings will show up in the recorded TV menu on the right. However, I have no way of scheduling a recording. It has been mentioned previously that the time machine app is in the quick menu, but I don't have it. I think the person that posted that actually had a LW5700. I have the 47LW5600. Does anyone have this time machine app on the LW5600 model?

I was able to enable the time machine on my 55LW5600. You will have to press the yellow button on the remote to bring up the time machine app which you can then schedule a recording. You can only record OTA channels though.

There was another tidbit or 2 I was going to add but cant find them now- maybe add later-

Bill
post #6382 of 8249 Old 12-26-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I use Plex all the time from a variety of platforms. Mostly, I now use it from my lw5600. I really like it, but I know next to nothing about high-end audio. Still using Bose Cinemate speakers.

Philip
post #6383 of 8249 Old 12-26-2011, 03:41 PM

Hi folks -- I just bought a 55LW5600 and am having a bizarre issue. I'm connecting my set-top box, a Cisco/SA Explorer 8240HDC from Time-Warner, to the TV via HDMI. When I power-up the TV and box, I always get video but only get audio about 30% of the time.

It doesn't matter if I power on the TV or STB first, nor does it matter if the STB first tunes to a low- or high-def channel. I've tried swapping the HDMI cable, and I've tried a different HDMI port on the TV. No difference. The STB is set to output digital audio over HDMI and to output 1080i; I think these are the only settings on the STB that could possibly have a role here.

I also have a Blu-Ray player connected to the TV over HDMI, and the audio from that always come through. Because of this, LG denies that there's a problem with the TV. As they say, if one HDMI input/source works, they all should. They say the problem is with the STB.

So, I swapped out the STB for a new one. Unfortunately, it's the same model, since TWC doesn't use any other model in my hood. Same problem.

My only workaround is to use the component outputs from the STB. Those always work, albeit with some degradation in picture coupled with a mess of cables. I really want my HDMI to work.

But if the problem isn't the TV or the STB or the cables, what is it? My only guess is that there's some bizarre incompatibility with the way this particular TV "reads" the audio stream from this particular STB. Both are using their newest firmware releases. But this is odd, since there are presumably tens of thousands of these TVs and hundreds of thousands of these STBs out there, and yet nobody else seems to be having this problem, according to extensive Google searching. Which leads me to believe there's something I'm missing.

Thoughts?
post #6384 of 8249 Old 12-26-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolpert View Post

Hi folks -- I just bought a 55LW5600 and am having a bizarre issue. I'm connecting my set-top box, a Cisco/SA Explorer 8240HDC from Time-Warner, to the TV via HDMI. When I power-up the TV and box, I always get video but only get audio about 30% of the time.

It doesn't matter if I power on the TV or STB first, nor does it matter if the STB first tunes to a low- or high-def channel. I've tried swapping the HDMI cable, and I've tried a different HDMI port on the TV. No difference. The STB is set to output digital audio over HDMI and to output 1080i; I think these are the only settings on the STB that could possibly have a role here.

I also have a Blu-Ray player connected to the TV over HDMI, and the audio from that always come through. Because of this, LG denies that there's a problem with the TV. As they say, if one HDMI input/source works, they all should. They say the problem is with the STB.

So, I swapped out the STB for a new one. Unfortunately, it's the same model, since TWC doesn't use any other model in my hood. Same problem.

My only workaround is to use the component outputs from the STB. Those always work, albeit with some degradation in picture coupled with a mess of cables. I really want my HDMI to work.

But if the problem isn't the TV or the STB or the cables, what is it? My only guess is that there's some bizarre incompatibility with the way this particular TV "reads" the audio stream from this particular STB. Both are using their newest firmware releases. But this is odd, since there are presumably tens of thousands of these TVs and hundreds of thousands of these STBs out there, and yet nobody else seems to be having this problem, according to extensive Google searching. Which leads me to believe there's something I'm missing.

Thoughts?

I have two suggestions:

1) Swap the HDMI inputs between the BR player and the STB and see if the problem persists. I expect you've already tried this, if so then...

2) Once you have the audio working from the STB, don't turn it off! I never turn mine off. I also have TWC, but my STB is a Motorola box. I don't know if the Cisco box is dramatically different, but there is really very little energy savings by turning the box off.
post #6385 of 8249 Old 12-26-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flex727 View Post

I have two suggestions:

1) Swap the HDMI inputs between the BR player and the STB and see if the problem persists. I expect you've already tried this, if so then...

2) Once you have the audio working from the STB, don't turn it off! I never turn mine off. I also have TWC, but my STB is a Motorola box. I don't know if the Cisco box is dramatically different, but there is really very little energy savings by turning the box off.

Yeah, I tried (1), and the problem persists. The HDMI inputs on the TV are fine, and the HDMI cables are fine.

I also tried (2). You're right that I don't need to turn off the STB. But the problem is that I must turn off my TV. When I power the TV on, it can't always find the audio signal from the STB though an HDMI input. Sometimes it finds the audio signal, sometimes it doesn't.

The root cause of the issue really seems to be an HDMI communications issue between this particular TV and that particular STB. It's just surprising to me that nobody anywhere on the Internet has reported this same issue.
post #6386 of 8249 Old 12-26-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have the 'Medialink' hooked up to my computer which is awesome - shows album art for music, and for TV/Movies it has a description etc. Now, can I get this type layout from an external HD hooked up via USB to the TV? Seems silly Medialink only works with computers and not an actual piece of hardware hooked up to the TV,
post #6387 of 8249 Old 12-26-2011, 06:30 PM

Okay, I'm a total noob, but I just bought a 55LW5600 and have it hooked up to a Yamaha V371 through HDMI. Everything is great, but I have some movies downloaded on a usb stick, and I was wondering if there was a way to get the audit to play through my surround sound. The video plays, but the audio is still playing whats on the cable box. If you are using a USB, is the only option the built in speakers on the tv?
post #6388 of 8249 Old 12-26-2011, 06:54 PM

Anyone else have problem with netflix since the update? I cant get it to play, i can access netflix but can not play any movie. I tried under spport>initialization of premium, but still not working. Please help.
post #6389 of 8249 Old 12-26-2011, 06:58 PM

Need some advice/help here. I replaced my 2 year old Sony KDL52S5100 with the LG55LW5600 today. I was very excited to have this TV until I played MK on PS3. While in the menu, I noticed SEVERE backlight bleeding and I need to know if this is normal. Please review my pics and let me know your thoughts....any help would be MUCH appreciated.

post #6390 of 8249 Old 12-26-2011, 07:00 PM

Guys, I own a 55LW5600 and a 42LD520. After doing the usb hack in the 42LD520 I can watch avi files and listen the audio perfectly from the usb drive. The 55LW5600 supposes to have this feature from factory but when I plugged in the same usb drive with avi files that I watched in my 42LD520, I get a not compatible sound error. Anybody has this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Infinia 55lw5600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page